The Second Hundred Years Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jim smiled remembering cattle drives from over a hundred years ago. "Coming back, we'll stop at midday and let em graze and rest for a couple of hours. I figure it'll take the better part of 2, 2 and a half days to get em back down the mountain."

William and Lewis nodded their understanding. "It's a good thing we've got a real cowhand with us," William said.

The herd had been on the move for just over two hours when Jim stood in his stirrups looking back down the trail. "Rider comin," he yelled a warning to the others as he pulled his Winchester from the saddle scabbard. William and Lewis were riding swing on either side of the small herd, keeping them headed in the right direction. Jim rode drag and pushed the cattle along.

"Ain't any rustlers any more Jim," William said smiling. "I think you can put your rifle away."

Jim smiled sheepishly. "Old habits are hard to break sometimes."

"Besides that's Alyssa coming. Don't think Lewis would appreciate you shootin his girl." William gave a shrill whistle and got Lewis' attention. He waved for the boy to join him.

Lewis rode closer and William pointed back down the trail at the rider. "If I don't miss my guess, you've got company coming Lewis."

He looked behind the herd and spotted the rider. "That's Alyssa", Lewis said. His voice showed how happy he was to see her. Lewis put the spurs to his horse and went to meet her.

"What are you doing here?" Lewis asked Alyssa.

"There are only three of you and I thought you could use some help with the drive," she replied smiling. "Of course I thought you'd be driving more cattle than this." Lewis and Alyssa joined William and Jim. She explained that she was there to help.

Jim smiled at her. "I'm glad you're here young lady."

Alyssa nodded and returned his smile. "Thank you."

"You two can ride drag together and I can get out of the dust. Have a good time," he added as he rode to the swing position at one side of the cattle and William rode to the other.

Alyssa looked at Lewis and they both started laughing. "I guess we've got our orders," Lewis said still chuckling. They moved into position at the rear of the herd.

The herd made better time than expected so Jim, who was acting as ramrod, decided that they'd push on to the valley where they would leave the cattle. As they entered the lower end of the valley, he and William kept the herd moving. He sent Lewis and Alyssa on ahead to make camp. It would be almost full dark by the time they finished the drive.

They didn't bother rigging the tarp they'd brought to sleep under. It was a clear night without a cloud in the sky so everyone decided to sleep under the stars. William and Jim spread their bedrolls on one side of the small campfire; Lewis and Alyssa were on the other side.

They ate and as they were bedding down William said, "No need for a night guard. The cattle are tired and will probably stay right where they are." Jim nodded his agreement and William added, "We'll start back at first light in the morning."

The ride back to the ranch was much quicker since they weren't driving cattle; they got back about noon. Alyssa stayed for lunch and after eating helped with the clean up. Jim nodded in approval when she started washing the dishes. She's not above doing her share of the work, he thought.

Alyssa grabbed her coat and hat for the ride back home. She walked over to William, kissed him on the cheek, and did the same thing to Jim. "Thanks for letting me tag along, I learned a lot," she said.

Jim's smile spread across his whole face. "You're welcome anytime Miss Alyssa."

The three Randals went outside and mounted their horses. They rode a circuit around the cattle in the pasture close to the house. Returning to the corral, they took care of the horses and walked together back to the house.

Jim stopped on the porch and look back up the valley toward the far mountains. William and Lewis stopped at the door waiting for him. Jim nodded his head and turned toward them.

"By God boys, we've got ourselves a cattle ranch."

Tiredly he silently added...At least for as long as I'm here.

To Be Continued