The Second Hundred Years-Sequel Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've set something up for Josh if it's okay with you Honey," he told Alyssa. She raised her eyebrow in a question. "Ted Cole over to Cole's Corner said we could have a viewing and a memorial service in the large meeting room at the trading post. If you want," Lewis finished.

Cole's corner had been an old time trading post for better than a hundred years. Now it was more of a general store and gas station that served the people living in the area, saving them a long trip into Prescott. It had a very large room that was used as a meeting hall, for special parties, and sometimes a dance hall.

Alyssa smiled and chuckled. "Grandpa would like that."

Everything was arranged for a Saturday service. The obituary was printed in the local papers and Lewis called a few of the outlying neighbors who might not get the paper. Several pictures of Josh were collected and a sort of memory board was made to place at the front of the meeting hall.

James and William came back for the service. It was James that insisted they return. He said he wanted to say goodbye to his Grandpa Josh.

Edward and Sally Benson apparently couldn't find the time out of their important life in Los Angeles to make it to the service. They did send a wreath which Alyssa promptly threw into the trash dumpster out back of Cole's.

Late Saturday afternoon, Alyssa, Lewis, William, and James rode their horses to a spot beside a stream that ran through the Benson ranch. The stream had a wide deep hole where Josh liked to fish. Alyssa spread Josh's ashes across the stream and watched them float away.

"Goodbye Grandpa," she whispered. "I love you."

Before returning home Lewis and Alyssa talked to the ranch hands that had worked the Benson spread. "Y'all keep doing what you been doing. Keep the place going please." The men nodded. "Don't know what's going to happen to the ranch but we'll see that you get your wages."

Seven weeks after Josh's funeral, a lawyer from Prescott called for Alyssa. "Mrs. Randal, I'm Sam Reynolds of Reynolds, Reynolds, and Judd. I was Josh Benson's attorney and friend for close to thirty years."

"What can I do for you Mr. Reynolds?"

"I would like to schedule a time convenient for you to read Josh's last will and testament," he answered. "Would this Friday at say 10 AM be acceptable to you?"

"That's fine with me, but I thought the ranch and everything would go to my dad."

"I can't divulge what's in the will but Josh left explicit instructions that you be present at the reading," Reynolds explained. "I'll inform your father Edward of the time. See you Friday Mrs. Randal."

Alyssa and Lewis entered the attorney's office at 9:45 and were shown to a conference room. Sam Reynolds introduced himself.

"It's nice to see you again Mrs. Randal." Alyssa looked puzzled and Reynolds added, "I met you a few times right after you came to live with Josh."

Alyssa smiled, "I remember now. You used to come out and play chess with Grandpa sometimes."

"That's correct, I'm surprised you remember." Looking at his watch he said, "We'll wait until your father gets here to read the will. Or 10 o'clock, whichever comes first."

Alyssa introduced Lewis to the attorney and they talked for a few minutes about Josh. Right at 10 Reynolds opened a folder on the table and started to read the will. Just then Edward and Sally Benson breezed into the room as if they owned it.

"Hello Alyssa," he said. "Got a hug for your old dad?"

Sally nodded and said, "Hello dear."

Edward had taken a step toward his daughter when he saw the anger on her face and the laser like stare in her eyes. He stepped back next to his wife. They sat in chairs facing the desk.

"The timing on this is most inconvenient Reynolds," Edward said. "Let's get on with it. I have to get back to Los Angeles."

"I'm sorry you were put out but Josh's instructions were that the reading of his will was to be at Alyssa's convenience," Reynolds replied. "Now, shall I read the will or do you want to complain some more?"

Edward and Sally were surprised at Reynolds' attitude. He nodded for the attorney to begin.

Reynolds began to read: "I, Josh Benson, being of sound mind and body and being under no duress have written this document as my last will and testament." Reynolds interrupted the reading to show a one page hand written document signed by Josh, two witnesses and notarized.

"I've had the will transcribed to make reading it a little easier." He held up the transcript which also had Josh's notarized signature. Turning to Alyssa he smiled and added, "Josh never could write worth a hoot."

He continued reading: "When I die I bequeath my ranch, all of the stock and equipment, and the house to my great grandson James Ambrose Randal."

Hearing this Edward loudly protested, "That's not the will my father made. I saw and read his will the year that Alyssa went to live with him."

"Please be quiet Mr. Benson," Reynolds ordered with steel in his voice. "Josh rewrote his will the day after young James was born. He had me destroy the previous will. May I continue?" Edward nodded.

"The ranch, ranch house, and the stock and equipment have been put into a trust for my great grandson. I ask my granddaughter Alyssa Benson Randal and her husband Lewis Randal to administer the trust until James reaches 21 years of age. At that time he may do as he wishes with the land and property. I hope it will give him a good start in life."

"This isn't right," Edward said with anger. "I'm the next of kin, I should get the ranch. I'll fight this and...."

"Quiet Mr. Benson," Reynolds ordered again. "If you continue to disrupt this reading I will have you removed from my office." This last statement was given with an evil little grin. It was obvious that Sam Reynolds had little use for Edward Benson.

"This will is perfectly legal and binding. Take legal action if you wish but you'll be wasting your time and money. God himself can't break this will." After a few second Reynolds said, "There's one more statement."

"I leave secure in the knowledge that my son Edward and daughter in law Sally will never have to come to this 'uncivilized' country again. Edward you've turned your back on the very place that supported you and paid for your fancy eastern school. Now that place has turned its back on you."

Reynolds folded both pieces of paper, placed them in an envelope and handed them to Alyssa.

Edward Benson turned to his daughter. "Alyssa, honey let's..."

"Don't talk to me," Alyssa broke in. "You couldn't be bothered to come to my wedding, you've only been to see your grandson once in ten years, and you couldn't find the time to come to your own father's funeral." She paused to gather herself. "You've turned you back on everything but your high society life in L.A. Grandpa was right. This country, Grandpa's friends that watched you grow up, my husband, my son, and I have turned our backs to you. Don't come back, don't call, and don't write, we don't want anything to do with you."

Lewis smiled without humor. Don't pay to rile my wife, he thought.

"Thank you Mr. Reynolds," Alyssa said as she stood. "Come out to Eagle's Nest for supper now and then. My husband makes the best bbq ribs and brisket this side of Kansas City."

In the truck on the way home Alyssa said, "Never thought Granddad would do something like that."

"I had an idea," Lewis replied.

"You did? Why?"

"The day I met Josh, before you came into the room, he told us that his son Edward thought the ranch was uncivilized. He seemed to be disappointed and a little angry," Lewis told her. "He's said a few other things over the years. Nothing outright, but he wasn't happy with your father."

Alyssa sat quietly for a few minutes. Turning in the seat toward her husband she said, "Maybe we should try to work something out with Dad and Mom. I mean he was Granddad's next of kin and all."

Lewis didn't respond. He just stared out the windshield of the truck and drove. His silence spoke volumes.

"What'da you think?" Alyssa asked.

He sighed, took a deep breath and answered, "I think you'd dishonor Josh's memory. Wait, let me finish," he ordered when Alyssa started to speak.

"Josh wanted to leave the ranch to someone that would care as much about it as he did. It's his legacy that'll live on after him." Lewis paused for a few seconds. "He knew how you felt about the place; I mean you chose to leave L.A. to live out here. Josh knew that you, and me, would pass on our love of this valley and our life to our son."

Lewis took a second to look at Alyssa. "Leave it be Honey. Let Josh have his legacy."

Alyssa smiled and moved across the truck seat next to Lewis. "I love you," she said.

They were met by a whirlwind when they arrive at Eagle's Nest. James came running out to the truck and was talking before it stopped.

"Dad, Mom, come see what Joshua found," the boy said. He was so excited he could hardly stand still. James grabbed their hands and pulled them toward the barn.

"Take it easy son," Lewis said.

"C'mon Dad, you gotta see this. You too Mom." James led them to Joshua's stall. The big horse was outside in the corral watching.

"Look," James said pointing to the back wall of the stall.

The old wooden wall had a jagged opening that Lewis had never seen before. The walls were old and well worn for good reason; the barn had been here for well over 100 years. Lewis could see the teeth marks that Joshua had made while chewing a hole in the wall. Inside the opening was a bundle wrapped in what looked like buckskin. The opening was about head high to James. Lewis stepped into the stall, reached into the opening, and pulled out the bundle.

It was about 8 inches wide by 10 inches long. The buckskin was dry and cracked. Lewis carefully and slowly unwrapped it to find another layer of buckskin. Twice more he peeled away layers. After the last layer was opened he saw a small book or journal 6 inches by 8 inches.

Lewis, followed Alyssa and a skipping James, took the book out of the dim light of the barn to the bright sunshine. Opening the cover he saw a name written on the first page. His eyes grew wide; he took a deep breath and looked at Alyssa.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Yeah, what is it Dad?" James parroted.

Lewis had to swallow before he could speak. "It's a personal journal," he replied.

"What's that?" James asked.

"It's like a diary. You know, people write down what happens to them and how they feel about different things."

"Whose journal Lewis?" Alyssa asked stepping closer to get a better look.

"You're not going to believe it." Lewis smiled and said, "It's the personal journal of Great Great Great Great Grandfather's Lakota bride Chante Randal.

To Be Continued...

12