The Second Hundred Years-Sequel Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When we got to his lodge he put Chayton on what he called the kitchen table. James put some strange smelling water on Chayton's wound. Then he used a needle and thread to sew the cut together. He explained that the smelly water, he called it coal oil, would stop the wound from getting infected and that it would heal quicker if it were sewed closed. After that he put Chayton on a bed and covered him.

My father, Iron Buffalo, agreed to let Chayton and I stay at James' lodge so my brother's wound could heal enough to get him back to our camp. Chayton and I lived with James for six days. At first it was gratitude I felt for James but as the days went by I begin to have other feelings for this white man.

James treated Chayton as if he were his brother. He was very good to us and took time to try and learn our language and some of our ways. I begin to feel closer to him and wanted to spend as much time with him as I could. I knew that when my father came for Chayton I would have to leave also. It made me sad to think I wouldn't see James again.

Returning to my village I found I was almost an outcast. None of the young men wanted me for a wife. They felt I had been dishonored by living at a white man's lodge, even for a short time. I found out much later that our shaman, Spirit Healer, had told many of the men that I'd been more than just a nurse for my brother. That I had been with a white man. Spirit Healer later admitted to my father that he wanted me for himself. A marriage that I would never have agreed to.

"What's a shaman?" James asked.

"A shaman is what we call a medicine man for the tribe," William answered. "Most know a lot about herbs and plants that can be used to help and cure people; they are sorta like a doctor. The shaman is also like a preacher; they pray to and interpret the spirit's wishes to the people."

"Like Running Wolf at the Lakota village up in Canada, right?" I think he's really cool," James said.

"Yep, Running Wolf is the bands shaman." Looking at James, William said, "He's made a special effort with you because you can't be with the tribe every day." William smiled, "Running Wolf told me he thinks you're pretty cool too."

Lewis could see his son's pleasure and watched him puff up with pride.

"Awesome," James replied.

William continued reading.

There was a lot of shouting and people talking early one morning. Iron Buffalo and I stepped out of our lodge to find James sitting on his big black horse in front of the teepee. He had a carved wooden totem that my father had given him on a rawhide thong worn around his neck. On his shoulders he wore the blanket I had given him to protect him when he rode to tell Iron Buffalo about Chayton. He had two very strong looking horses on a lead rope.

My father showed no reaction when he saw James but I could tell he was surprised. I was very surprised and let it show. It had been two months since I had seen James but I had thought about him almost every day.

"Iron Buffalo I have come to ask for Chante as my wife. These two horses I offer as the bride price," James told my father in a loud clear voice.

My father asked if I wanted to become James' wife and I answered, "Yes Father, it would be a good thing."

We were married the next day in the Lakota way by the shaman. Spirit Healer was angry but had no choice. A bride price had been offered and accepted. He had to perform the ceremony by Lakota law. Two weeks after going to live with James we were married in the white man's way by a man called a circuit judge.

September, 1889

Many of the things in our lodge are wonderful. James calls it a house and it is warm and dry. No rain or wind comes into the house the way it does with my father's teepee. We have a stove to cook on instead of having to cook over an open fire. Instead of carrying water from a stream there is a pump at the rear of the house which brings cold, clean water to us.

The horses are better cared for also. They have their own lodge which protects them from the weather and from hunting animals like the wolf and mountain lion. James has three horses and I brought my own horse with me.

The big horse that James calls Sampson has adopted me. He is the biggest horse I've ever been around and has a black coat that shines in the sunlight. James was worried that the spirited animal would harm me, but I think Sampson knows that both he and I belong to James. The first day at the lodge, Sampson put his head down and gently rubbed his face against my arm. We have become good friends.

"I remember my dad talking about Sampson," William said. "He said that was one of the biggest horses he ever seen. Sampson was a very big, black, very fast and strong horse."

"Just like Joshua," James exclaimed. "Cool."

Late September, 1889

James and me are going to be parents. The baby will be born in late May or early June. James hugged me, picked me up, and swung me around when I told him. We are very happy.

October, 1989

This week James and me went to the mountains that he called the Bradshaw's and to a creek the white man calls Lynx Creek. James told me we were looking for the yellow metal called gold. He showed me how to use a pan and wash away the sand and mud looking for gold.

Our hunt, or as James called it prospecting, went well. We found several pieces, called nuggets, of gold. James said they are worth a lot of money. We will return to our lodge tomorrow.

January, 1890

I have noticed as our baby grew inside of me that James would try to keep me from doing my work. He said he didn't want me to hurt myself or the baby. I had to laugh at his concern and told him Lakota women sometimes gathered wood, carried water, fixed a meal and then went into the lodge to have her baby. "I will be fine," I told him.

James spends as much time with me as he can but we have cattle to take care of in this winter weather. He is sometimes gone overnight. As long as he is riding Sampson I don't worry about him. My friend will not let anything happen to his master.

April, 1890

James has hired Mrs. King, a widow that lives with her son's family on the next ranch to help me until our child decides that it is time to join us. I tried to talk him out of it but he is very stubborn sometimes. I understand that he loves me and our baby and have accepted Mrs. King's help.

May, 1890

I am a mother. James is a father and we are a family. Our son was born last night. He is healthy and has a strong voice. We named our son John Maza after his two grandfathers. Mrs. King was with me as our baby came into our world. She told James to stay in the next room out of the way. He was like a wounded bear pacing back and forth.

Late May, 1890

James is not back from the high country. He told me he would be home tonight. He had never stayed away overnight during good weather. I am worried about him. Mrs. King had returned to her home. I was alone with our son and he was too young to take looking for James.

James has still not returned. It is the second night that he has been away. I am afraid something has happened to him.

On the morning of the third day, Sampson came back. Alone. Now I knew something was wrong. Sampson would never leave James. I put John in a cradleboard across my back, mounted Sampson and rode toward the King ranch. About an hour later I saw Jasper King driving a small herd of cattle back toward his lodge.

I told him about James being missing and asked him to tell his mother to come and watch John while I looked for my husband. He nodded, turned his horse, and spurred him into a gallop. I returned to the lodge to wait for Mrs. King. She joined me late in the afternoon. It was too late to start a search that day.

The next morning I was up and mounted on Sampson at first light. For two more days I left at first light and returned as the sun went down. I was searching the high meadows looking for James. On the evening of the third day I returned and saw Iron Buffalo and Chayton sitting on their horses in front of our lodge. They looked upset.

There was a strange man sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch with a rifle across his knees. He saw me ride up and stood. My father asked in me in Lakota where James was and I told him that James had been gone for four days. The man on the porch took a step toward me and took off his hat.

"Howdy, you must be Chante," he said. "Thomas over to the trading post told me Jim had a wife and a son. I already saw my nephew. Was talkin to Mrs. King, when these two rode up," he said pointing at Iron Buffalo and Chayton.

I didn't answer and he said, "I'm William, Jim's brother. Most folks call me Will. Where's that younger brother of mine?"

Without his hat Will looked like James, but two or so years older. I quickly explained about James to my father, brother, and Will.

The next morning they took over the search. My father brought several of his braves from our camp at Red Mountain to help for the first week. After that Iron Buffalo, Chayton, and Will continued to look for James for six months until the first snow storm of the winter.

I felt that James was still alive but also knew that he would have been home by now if he could have. I have lost my husband.

"What happened to Grandpa Jim?" young James asked. He was visibly upset and worried.

Lewis looked at Alyssa and slowly shook his head at William. He sighed and after a few seconds answered the boy.

"That's a whole story all by itself," William answered. "Let's finish reading the journal and we'll get to that story when you're a little older." Lewis smiled and nodded at William's suggestion. Alyssa and Lewis weren't sure they want to tell their son the truth about Jim just yet. James was very mature, but if they told him the truth about his Grandpa Jim he might accidentally say something to a school mate or another parent.

This could bring unwanted attention to Jim's return to life after 117 years. Which in turn could lead to scientists and others invading Eagle's Nest wanting to do forensic tests on Jim's remains. Best to let the old man rest in peace.

"It must have been really hard on Chante," Alyssa said looking at Lewis and then at William.

"Reckon it was," William agreed. "Must have been hard not knowing what happened to Jim. You alright boy?"

"Yes sir. It's just sad what happened to Grandpa Jim and Grandma Chante."

"Should I keep reading?" William asked. He was talking to Lewis and Alyssa as well as James.

"It's almost 10. Bedtime for you young man," Lewis answered. At the disappointed look on James' face he added, "We'll get back to the journal tomorrow night after supper."

"Aw Dad," James replied in an exasperated tone. He knew once his father made up his mind there was no need to argue. Then he brightened. "I can't wait to tell Joshua about Sampson."

The boy got off the ottoman and hugged William. "Night Boompa," he said. Hugging his parents he repeated, "Night Dad, Night Mom. See ya in the morning."

The three adults all said good night to James. When he left the room William said, "This journal is really something. I'm like the boy; I didn't want to stop reading." He stood putting the journal on the mantle next to the picture of Jim, Chante, and young John. "See y'all at breakfast."

********************

Meanwhile many miles away in Phoenix the meeting of the Board of Directors for Center Corp has not gone well for Jake Sanders. His longtime enemy on the board had made a point of the fact that Sanders had failed time and time again to get a foothold in the valley where Eagle's Nest was located.

"It's a prime spot for development and you've been promising us for ten years that we will have a presence there," Henry Rogers said. "If you can't get the job done maybe we should find someone who can," he threatened.

"The owner doesn't seem to be impressed by money," Sanders countered. "He's a decorated Army veteran and I've heard all he thought about while he was in Iraq was getting back to his ranch." Sanders turned to face Rogers directly.

"Your investigators screwed the pooch on that one," Sanders accused. "They came up with the old man, William Randal, owning the ranch when it was really his grandson Lewis Randal's name on the deed." He turned back to the other board members.

"I won't claim that was the whole reason we haven't had success yet but it sure didn't help. Sid Collier our point man made a run at the older Randal, instead of Lewis, about buying Eagle's Nest and ran into a brick wall." Sanders gave a grim smile and continued, "Collier was told not only no, but hell no. William also told him quite emphatically what he could do with the offer."

"Did you get personally involved Sanders?" Rogers asked. "Or did you run everything from your comfortable desk chair here?"

"For your information I met with Lewis in Prescott." He again faced the board. "That meeting did not...well, let's just say it didn't go satisfactorily."

"What do you mean?" Tom Jansen. He was the Chairman of the board.

"I was standing between him and his truck when I made the offer. Lewis refused and I told him then he wouldn't get the loan they'd applied for at the Prescott National Bank." Sanders looked at the others and said, "As you know we have controlling interest in that bank. "However, he very specifically told me where I could stick my offer."

Sanders had to frown remembering his one meeting with Lewis Randal. After a few seconds he said, "As I said I was standing between him and his truck. He told me to move or he would move me. It wasn't bravado. He meant it. That was the last meeting we've had with the Randals. We made offers though the mail and over the phone for the next year. After the third or fourth offer, Randal refused delivery and when we identified ourselves on the phone, he'd hang up

Rogers started to attack Sanders again and Sanders responded. The meeting was turning into a battle royal between the two antagonists.

"Enough," Jensen said loudly in an angry voice. Rogers and Sanders stopped talking. "Rogers says you're ineffective Sanders. Sanders you say Rogers has hurt your negotiations to obtain this land. Is that correct?"

"Well sir, I think...Rogers started.

"A simple yes or no will suffice gentlemen," Jensen interrupted. Both men nodded. "Fine. You will both put all your time and resources into solving this problem.

The one that accomplishes this task keeps his job. The loser will join the unemployment line. Understood?"

Rogers and Sanders both said, "Yes sir."

"Now get busy gentlemen. Your future with this company is in the balance." Jensen looked at both men and motioning toward the door said, "You are both excused."

To Be Continued

12