The Self Sufficient Hermit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
curious2c
curious2c
2,521 Followers

Her rapid fire questions kept me off balance, and trying to answer them made me not think about what I should have been thinking about, mainly, keeping away from women.

"That's wonderful. Janice and I will be there. Paul too, maybe. He's not here right now, but he's due back in tomorrow. You can show me... us... around home when the weather's not so bad and we're more in shape to see it from your eyes."

She had me nervous. She sounded like she was all about 'me'... like her hints were leading to something that I hadn't experienced since... her. My former fiancé that was. Now I was doubly worried. This wasn't what I'd been expecting if and when I ever saw Lucy again.

I had thought that her 'summer camp' fever would be gone and she would have woken up to the real world... at least her real world. It appeared that maybe I might be mistaken - just a bit.

She seemed happy to see me, even kind of giddy. Almost like a school girl with a crush. Yet, I was acting like the school boy, so I guess we were even in that respect. Still, what would a girl like her want with a guy like me? We were worlds apart.

"Well, when you're ready to come out, tell Jacob or Emma and they'll get someone to run you out on the boat. Of course you could get a float plane too, as that's quicker. Joe's Flight Service is right over there by the beach. They'll fly you out in under twenty minutes."

I moved to point out the window at Joe's Flight Service office which brought me very close to her. Too close. I caught the smell of her as I stepped in nearer.

I looked into her eyes and saw something there that scared me, yet made me feel good all at the same time. Suddenly our heads were moving towards each other, and they weren't that far apart to begin with.

Her warm breath caressed my cheeks as I leaned down a bit and just as our lips were about to touch someone started coughing loudly. A female someone.

"Hey you two... none of that now. There are too many eyes and ears around here."

Janice was standing there with a huge smile. I jerked back quickly, turning away from Lucy, knowing that I'd wanted to kiss those lips so bad. She was a woman, I was a man, and it was a gut thing. I didn't care that she was some famous person. At that moment it was just two people, a man and a woman... testing the waters.

"How are you Janice? Looking pretty good, that's for sure."

"Not nearly as good as you two love birds."

"Janice that's not true. He was just showing me where the float plane place was."

Lucy pointed off in the general direction of Joe's Flight Service.

"Oh was that what that was all about then?"

Janice was in fine form. Her firm barb caused both Lucy and me to blush. I didn't like it that Emma and Jacob were right there too, eating it all up.

"Yeah."

"So, if I were to ask J.W. about a Flight Service he'd point off in that direction for me too? Just like he did for you? So close that we could kiss?"

"Of course. Perfectly normal." Lucy answered while looking off at something on the wall.

Janice stepped in close to me, causing Lucy to move to one side.

"So J.W. where's this flight service joint at anyway?"

I could see the merriment in her eyes. I knew that as I pointed at it I'd come a bit closer, but that it wasn't necessary to come as close as I'd done with Lucy. My red face became crimson all over and down my neck.

"Why J.W. the way you're blushing makes me think that you just realized that you didn't need to get quite so close to Lucy a minute ago. Go ahead... point out this flight place."

"It's over there."

I quickly pointed, knowing that Janice wasn't going to look or didn't really care. I could hear Emma and Jacob and now some others standing in the background snickering.

"J.W., you're about six feet away from me right now and pointing at that place and I'm right where Lucy was standing too. Why is it that you had to step in closer for her and not for me?"

"She wasn't being an ass."

"Oh my. I'm an ass then?"

Janice tried to look hurt.

"Look, I get the message... okay?"

She finally let me off the hook.

"Don't get angry J.W. I was just teasing."

Lucy had moved over beside me and hooked her arm in mine. I could smell her hair and she smelled too good. Janice was smiling at us.

"Maybe we should just leave you two lovebirds alone for a bit. Get that mushy stuff out of the way."

Janice had a glint in her eyes when she said 'lovebirds'.

"We're not love birds."

My voice surprised me in how cold it sounded at that moment. I surely wasn't feeling that way inside.

Lucy looked up at me and then moved away. Janice quit smiling and started to try to apologize.

"I'm sorry J.W...."

"Stop. Janice, all I was doing was pointing to the flight place, that's all."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yes Really."

"Then you weren't going to kiss Lucy then?"

"Uh... no. I was just a bit close and..."

"Your heads were moving together. I'd say there were only a few scant inches between them. Your lips were about to touch, both of you know that too."

"Well..."

"Janice... please. J.W. was just being nice and..."

Lucy was trying to help me out.

"You two were at each other's throats the last time you were together...at first. Then when you came back to L.A. Lucy, you pissed and moaned at everyone about life and things in general like never before. I also know that you were trying to find out things about this part of Alaska and in particular, J.W. too. Neither of you can say that you don't like each other a bit more than a little. Matter of fact I'd say you two have the extreme hots for each other." Janice calmly explained.

I moved back and then trying to avoid anymore confrontation I started to walk out of the store.

"J.W.... stop right there. You, young man need to turn around and explain yourself to the young lady."

Emma put her foot down. Hard.

Trapped! She was blocking my escape. I had no choice unless I was to shove her aside and I could see that would be a hard task at that moment. I surrendered.

Looking into Lucy's eyes I saw fear and something else there too. Hope maybe?

"Uh... Lucy..."

I couldn't say it. I wanted to say something, but I wanted to say the 'right' thing. I just didn't know the 'right' thing to say in this situation. Lucy started to push things by stepping in close to me.

"Yes J.W.?"

She actually batted her eyelashes. I was lost.

"Uh... I'd sure like it if you came out to the place this Saturday..."

"I'll be glad to. I mean... Janice and Paul have been talking and talking about your place ever since last fall. We've missed it."

"You were only there a few days."

"But you took care of me...us. You saved us. You..."

"I was just in the right place and at the right time... that's all."

"And you helped."

"Yeah... I helped."

"And I owe you for that."

"No. You don't."

She stepped closer. Our faces were so close that once again I could feel her warm breath on my cheeks and I didn't want it to ever leave me.

"Thank you."

Softly she said it. So softly I almost missed it.

"You're welcome."

Her lips touched mine and my arms naturally went around her body to hold her close to me. Suddenly she was kissing me harder and her arms were tightly holding me to her too. My tongue slipped out without my realizing that I'd done that... yet her lips parted and accepted the invader as if welcoming me.

Suddenly I felt hot breath on my right cheek. Glancing over I saw Janice with her face inches away.

"Hey you two... my turn next."

Blushing, Lucy and I pulled apart though I could tell she didn't really want to. Neither did I for that matter. Janice stepped into my arms and kissed me sweetly on the lips. No tongue, just lips.

She pulled back and smiled at us both.

"Well, I see how I rate now. With her it's tongue and caresses...with me it's lips alone. I'm hurt. Nay, slain that you won't love me like you do the fair Lucy." She said theatrically.

"Janice."

Lucy wasn't smiling now. I could see that she was getting a bit edgy with Janice's teasing.

I tried to lighten things up a tad.

"It's all right. Janice is right. We shouldn't have kissed like that to begin with. After all, you don't really know me, nor do I know you that well Lucy."

"Oh J.W., you have a lot to learn about Miss Lucy, that's for sure. She's been digging and digging all winter. Yep. She's hired people to dig up information on you like you wouldn't believe."

"What?"

'Janice... stop... please."

Lucy was blushing and giving me a frightened look.

"Oh yeah. She's been trying to find out anything and everything she could about you J.W.. I think it's because she's in love. With you."

Lucy had tears showing in her eyes. I felt bad for her. Janice was pushing hard and I wasn't sure what was teasing and what wasn't. I had a hunch that Janice hadn't said anything that wasn't true.

"So? Lucy is entitled. I mean, she can find out whatever she wants about me. My life is pretty much an open book. I'm not hiding anything, that's for sure."

"Oh? How about your feelings for one particular lady then?"

"Damn Janice, you come on like a hurricane when you decide to, don't you?" I said.

"Well, I happen to know that you're unprepared for just how much Lucy has focused on you. To be fair I think you need the warning. Just in case you really don't want some woman hanging around your place all the time."

"JANICE!" Lucy almost shouted.

Lucy was about to cry. I felt for her. I was blushing at the realization that I was the point of interest in someone's life like this. Someone that I found myself wishing was more in my life. Someone that had made me forget all about that woman that had thrown me over for the doctor.

"Janice, enough. Look, I think I like Lucy a lot more than a little bit. I'd like to get to know you more Lucy, I really would... but I'm just me. I'm not rich, famous or a man about town. What you have seen and what you see is exactly what you get."

Glancing around I could see familiar faces taking this all in. Obviously Emma and Jacob were beaming like lanterns over this too. I think Emma was happy that someone had finally broken through my defenses and made me want to be more than a hermit.

This was all happening so fast. It was the wrong place and as far as I was concerned, the wrong time to be talking this stuff. After all, we hardly knew each other at all. Five days and some hours didn't make for enough time for what I was getting into.

I moved back a bit and turned to leave. As I turned I left the invitation open for them still.

"I'm not one to discuss things this personal in front of others. I'm not a public figure or the type of person that wants the whole world to know so much about me. If you all want to come out, come on out anytime. I'll be there. I recommend the flight service over across the way for speed. I've got to go."

As I walked down the dock I glanced back one time. I saw Lucy and Janice on the porch of the store arguing. Emma and Jacob were standing on the steps smiling and they both waved at me. They'd never waved at me before... not like that. I almost missed seeing Amber as I stepped onto my boat. She was coming out of the store. I never saw her inside, so my thoughts were where was she while Lucy and I were talking?

The whole incident that day reminded me of grade school in many ways. The old, 'do you like her, she likes you' thing. I hadn't liked it then and I really didn't like it now. Even though I missed her, I found myself hoping that she'd get too busy to come out and leave after the filming. I didn't want complications, and I could tell that being a part of Lucy's life would be one huge complication.

Saturday morning bright and early I heard the float plane as it flew over. I watched it bank hard to the right and lose altitude. I knew that I was about to have company, but not who or how many.

The floats cut into the mirror like water, making it churn and toss to and fro. As the beaver slowed in speed, I could see the pilot working the controls, steering for shore and my dock. It was Joe himself. He had to be in his seventies by now...still flying. I wondered about why he was the one flying them out here, because it made no sense since he had seven pilots working for him.

As the plane docked, I grabbed a line and tied it off. Joe climbed down, opening up the passenger compartment door. Janice was first off, followed by Paul. Lucy was last off. She looked around, as if she were afraid that she'd never get to see it again, until she saw me standing on the dock.

Her eyes danced with fire as she strode towards me. The last few steps she ran and as she closed in, her arms went out to pull me to her. Hugging me close she kissed my cheek. That soon became a lip to lip kiss with heat and passion like I'd never felt before.

Joe cleared his throat...

"Ahem. I'll be leaving off here shortly. What time do you want to be picked up tomorrow Miss?"

Janice turned and smiled at the old man.

"Well Joe, I suppose anytime around four in the afternoon will work for us."

"Okay then. Four it is. Will you be taking back any fish or game with you?"

"I doubt it Joe. Lucy might have some big ol bear she'll want to drag along but other than that..."

Lucy broke away from me.

"Janice... damnit!" she said stamping her foot.

"No, we won't have anything other than ourselves Joe." Janice quickly countered.

Old Joe looked over at me, smiled and then waved off. Untying the plane he shoved it off as he jumped up onto the steps leading to the plane's cabin. Joe was pretty spry for a seventy-some-odd year old man.

"See ya all tomorrow then. Take care young ladies... you too young man. J.W. I'll see you around."

The beaver coughed to life and he taxied out onto the water. I saw him smile and wave. The thunderous roar of the rotary engine drowned out any other sound for a moment until the plane went airborne. We all watched the sun reflecting off the wings as Joe banked the plane sharply and headed back towards home.

Paul stepped up and shook my hand.

"I'm glad I'm finally able to meet you standing up. Thank you for saving my life last winter."

"You're welcome. Come on up. I'll take your suitcases Lucy."

"I'll haul my own stuff, thank you very much." Lucy insisted.

"Let him help you Lucy. Really, I think you like to argue more than any woman I've ever known." Paul interjected.

Paul had a look in his eyes that was teasing yet serious. Lucy looked at him, blushed and then gave up the larger suitcase to me. Janice laughed out loud.

"You should have been up and around way back when, Paul. You could have gotten peace and quiet out of them much faster than I did." Janice slipped in.

Lucy glared at Janice.

"Janice, don't make me forget that we've been friends longer than dirt."

"Oh Lucy, you know I'm teasing. Lighten up. By the way, can I kiss your boyfriend too? I need to thank him like you just did."

"HE'S NOT MY Boyfriend." Lucy struggled to maintain her composure. "I was just glad to see him, that's all."

"Good then you won't mind if I do this then will you?"

With that, Janice moved into me, hugging me tightly. Her lips found mine as she locked them tightly to me. I felt her tongue pushing in between my lips and I allowed it to do whatever it wanted to do in my mouth. Janice kept the kiss up for a longer time than I was prepared for. I finally dropped the suitcase I was holding and hugged her back a little before trying to separate us.

As we parted I saw a look in Lucy's eyes that boded dark things. I wasn't sure but it appeared to me that Lucy was jealous. Very much so as a matter of fact. I briefly wondered why, but the moment passed and we headed up the path to my cabin.

"You girls can have the big bed, Paul you can have the other bed in there. I'll sleep on the couch."

I pointed out the bedrooms to each of them, knowing that Lucy and Janice already knew where they were.

"We don't want to put you out here J.W." Paul offered. "I can sleep on the couch."

"No. Take the bed Paul. It's no big deal. Hell, I sleep on the couch more often than not lately anyway."

I didn't see the look Lucy and Janice gave each other. I really wish I would have. I never knew how much I gave away with that little statement until later. Sometimes one says things that seem all innocent to them but others can read volumes into. This was one of those times.

We spent the morning talking to each other about each other, catching up on life since the big wreck. I noticed that Paul and Janice seemed to be close... very close. At times I was sure he was going to take her in her arms and kiss her thoroughly, but they kept apart. I also noticed that Lucy seemed oblivious to the tension between them. It made me wonder.

After a homemade lunch of Salmon salad sandwiches that I made, I gave them the nickel tour of my property. The last part that I allowed them to see was the 'point' as I called it. It was a flat clear piece of ground at the highest point on my property. The view from there was magnificent and always took my breath away. It was about three hundred feet directly above where I'd been eating my lunch that cold, wet stormy day they dropped into my life.

"Why didn't you build your cabin up here? It's so beautiful and the view is magnificent." Paul expounded.

"A building up here would ruin everything about this place. It deserves to be kept as is. I may one day put in a bench or something over there by that Sitka Spruce, but there really shouldn't be anything else up here." I reverently replied. "It's the best meditation place in Southeast, in my opinion."

"Meditation? You know about meditation J.W.?" Lucy looked shocked.

"Well duh. I meditate often as I can. The weather can be a bit reluctant to give up at times... but everything about this spot calms me." I smiled as I answered her. I wanted to show her she hadn't offended me. I could see by the look on her face she never dreamed I'd do something like meditate.

"You continually surprise me J.W." Lucy replied. "Oh look, I got bars on my cell phone. This must be a hot spot. Cool. I'll be able to come up here and call out or receive messages."

"That isn't an all the time thing Lucy. It comes and goes. I doubt you'd be able to get out let alone get messages in."

Lucy seemed disappointed. I was too. I mean, this view was the best I had to offer showing them my property, and all she was concerned about was cell phone reception?

As we turned to head down to the cabin I looked out over to the bay and noted a small skiff cutting in towards my dock. There was one lone person aboard it, and they seemed to be intent on the landing. It was rare that I'd have visitors, especially unannounced. I was curious as to who was coming to see me... or were they here because of Lucy and company? I guessed I'd soon find out.

Lucy took my arm as we started back down the trail.

"You know, we could put in a cell tower up here and get reception all the time I'd bet." Lucy sounded a bit excited.

"Why in the hell would I want a cell phone tower on my property? It would mess up the views, and bring a kind of technology that I don't want here." I was short with her, but the idea of a tower up there irritated me to no end.

Lucy looked like a deer in the headlights and it took until we were nearly at the cabin before I realized she'd said 'WE' could put in a cell phone tower. It caused me to begin thinking seriously about Lucy and me and any kind of relationship we'd have. I think she was planning on taking over my little place and me too.

The person on the skiff was walking up the trail to my cabin as we stepped up on the front porch. It was Amber and she was carrying two large salmon.

"Hey J.W. I thought you'd like some fresh caught salmon. Caught these about an hour ago. Oh... you have company. I'm sorry."

curious2c
curious2c
2,521 Followers