The Strip Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
hal_tee
hal_tee
398 Followers

"Thanks," she grinned, "I just wanted to give you something to aim at." Leaning close, she made a point of pressing her breasts into him as she lightly kissed his lips. Give him something to think about. "Gotta go!"

The flash from the camera surprised them both. "What on earth—" Daniel began, raising a hand to his eyes.

"Could we have another?" the young photographer asked, shoving a card in the poker player's hand. "Las Vegas News," he explained, "Nevada's largest newspaper. We only just found out about the two of you."

"Found out what," Holly asked, pushing the camera away. A photograph in any newspaper was the last thing she wanted.

"The two lovers from England," he beamed at them. "Reaching the final table together. Hey, that's a hell of a story. We're going to cover your progression all the way through the Main Event! Maybe you can give us an exclusive?"

"We're not lovers," Daniel blurted, wondering how they could know about him and Holly. Had they been followed to his room yesterday morning? "Who the hell told you that?"

The red haired young photographer grinned knowingly. "Common knowledge," he told them, attempting to take another snap. Holly's hand on his arm stopped him before he could take the photo.

"Where did this story come from?" she insisted.

"I don't know where it started. But your performance together in that tourney has attracted a lot of interest. Particularly with Doyle being so lucky. We've got a great headline—The lovers from across the pond! Like it or not, folks, you're quite a story!"

"Fuck!" Daniel and Holly's curse was simultaneous. Each had a different reason to believe this wasn't good news.

***

For the second time that morning, a hand on his arm stopped Daniel in his tracks. The older man who interrupted his rush to the table wore a friendly smile. But it was his loud Hawaiian shirt, combined with the pair of oversized shorts that made the poker player do a double take.

The man extended a chubby arm to shake Daniel's hand. "Watched you at Binion's," he said, in a voice oozing friendliness and comfort. "That was a hell of a bad beat you and the woman took. But you played great."

"Thanks," Daniel politely replied, his eyes glancing over the man's shoulder. Where was his table—he was late enough as it was.

"It'll make it harder for you to do well in this event," the smiling man told him, adding by way of explanation, "more of a target."

"Oh," Daniel less than enthusiastically retorted. That thought hadn't occurred to him, though it hadn't prevented Holly from racing out of the blocks yesterday. "You'll be looking to take advantage then?" he asked.

"No, not me," the man said, his smile never leaving his worn face. "Hell, I don't play. But I'm out here every year to observe. Just love the atmosphere and the stories." His large body shook as he laughed, "Mostly bad beat stories, of course."

Daniel smiled back and nodded. "Good to meet you, but—"

"Tell you what," the man said, ignoring Daniel's urgency. "I brought you this." He held out a small crystal. "The last person I gave one of these was Chris Moneymaker." He winked at Daniel. "That was just before the final table. And he didn't do too badly, did he?"

"Well thank you." Daniel responded with a warm smile. "I really appreciate that."

"Some people rest them on their cards, others stroke them when they need some luck," the man explained. "This particular one," he added, nodding at the crystal, "Needs stroking. It'll bring you strength, perseverance and luck."

"Thanks so much," Daniel repeated. "It's good of you to take the trouble to seek me out." He ran his fingers along the surface; only half listening as the man talked about the strength the crystal's positive energy would bring.

"Been waiting a while," the man confessed, "but I'm pleased to catch up with you at last. Sorry to hold you up," he apologised, reaching out his chubby hand and warmly shaking Daniel's. "I'll be watching your progress. Good luck."

The crinkly haired young man stood for a moment before swinging around and quickly finding his table. He'd cut it fine, but the delay had been worth it. That single gesture had somehow infused him with a feeling of well-being.

It didn't last long.

"Well, if it isn't the man himself," a grizzled customer seated to his left remarked. "Just because you did okay in that small tournament the other day, you think it's fashionable to turn up late?"

"I'm not late, my friend," Daniel good-naturedly responded, picking up the newly dealt cards and mucking the first hand of the day. "I'm just in time."

"By a few seconds," Grizzly responded. "And you're not my friend. You think you're another Hellmuth who can just turn up when they want? I saw your interview after the tourney, never liked the English anyway."

"I'm certainly no Hellmuth," smiled Daniel, wondering what which mirror he'd broken to end up at this seat.

"You saying you're better than him?" Grizzly asked, continuing the verbal assault.

Daniel turned in his seat to look his interrogator in the eyes. The aggressive face above the crumpled black shirt told him this wasn't a discussion he could turn around. "Tell you what," he quietly said, holding Grizzly's gaze. "I'm just going to concentrate on my poker now. I'll leave the trash talk to you."

Grizzly gave a sneer and looked around the table. "Seems Mr. Big Shot doesn't want to talk to us," he told anyone who would listen.

"Give the guy a break," broke in a young, fair-haired kid at the opposite end of the table.

"Mind your manners, kid," Grizzly snapped. "When I was your age—"

***

"How was the journey?" Kay Kristen laughed as Lauren alighted from the helicopter. The lack of colour in the model's face already told her the answer.

"Fine," Lauren lied, as she took the Agency Head's hand. The first leg of the journey had been bad enough. Small bumpy airplanes, she'd decided halfway through her flight, were not her thing! But the helicopter journey had been something else.

"Leaves your stomach behind when that helicopter edges over the rim, doesn't it?" Kay continued. "I always find it exhilarating, but most other people want to crap themselves!"

It was the first time Lauren had heard any sort of crudity from the sophisticated mouth and she burst out laughing. "I'm in that category," she told her, following the brunette along the thin path towards the Colorado River.

Kay looked like she'd just stepped out of her front room, immaculate in those tailored blue shorts and white blouse. That was quite an ass, small, pert and with a sexy but unobtrusive way of swaying from side to side! Whereas Lauren felt the effect of her journey—her hair was dishevelled, her canary yellow tee shirt was ruffled, not to mention the creases beginning to appear in her blue jeans. And that dryness in her mouth definitely needed some attention.

"Here," Kay said, swinging back to the blonde as if it was an afterthought and pulling a bottle of lightly coloured liquid from the straw bag over her shoulder. "Keep sipping at this and it'll calm your stomach."

"Thanks," the blonde gratefully smiled, stopping beside the Agency Head to unclip the top and take a long sip.

"Not too much, too quickly," Kay warned, those piercing dark eyes containing a hint of amusement. "How was yesterday by the way?"

"I just loved it," Lauren enthused, wiping a drop of the liquid from her chin with her index finger. "It was more tiring than I expected, but it was so exciting!"

"Yes, we work our models hard," Kay laughed, with a soft flick of her dark hair, "but you'll soon get used to that. And that Jimmy is really something, don't you think?" She sexily raised her eyebrows and nudged Lauren's arm as she spoke. "Fucks like a God, too," she added.

Lauren almost coughed out the second sip she was taking. Fucked like a God?

"It's good to have some sexy eye candy when you're shooting, don't you think?" Kay asked, reaching out to push a loose bang of wavy, blonde hair back behind Lauren's ear. "You're shooting with his girlfriend today, maybe you should ask her permission to sample the goods!"

Permission? Sample the goods? Lauren felt little goosebumps tease across her body at the thought. But then Kay had turned and was leading them along the tiny path through the brushwood again.

"I've seen some of the early prints from yesterday," she said over her shoulder. "They're hot, darling. Just make sure today is more of the same, okay?"

"It's not quite the same with a woman," Lauren laughed, the words spilling out even before she could think about what she was saying.

Kay stopped in her tracks and slowly swung around. Her dark, piercing eyes fixed on the model. "You must have led a sheltered life, darling," she slowly said. "If Rach doesn't turn you on, nothing will!"

"Turn me on?"

The brunette gave a soft chuckle. There was that combination of that combination of innocence and sexiness that would make this girl such a star. And make Kay a lot of money. "Oh yes," she answered, "Rachal likes nothing better than corrupting naïve young model's. You better watch yourself, darling."

With that, she'd turned on her heels again, her perky ass attracting Lauren's eyes again as she led her way into a small clearing. "What do you think of our set?" she asked, pausing to allow Lauren to draw level.

The young model rewarded her with a gasp. It was like a scene from a movie set, a miniature Red Indian village, with its recently erected tepee's, a couple of dogs, horses and both male and female extras in traditional costume.

"How—" Lauren began, raising her hand to her mouth, her saucer-like Coral blue eyes taking in the scene.

"How did we manage to produce this at the foot of the Grand Canyon?" Kay smiled, completing the sentence. "Well," she said, slipping an arm around the blonde's slim waist as they surveyed the scene. "That's why I have technical team, darling. I only have the best working for me."

The best? She'd show the brunette that she could be the best, too!

"Come on," Kay smiled, taking the young model's hand. "Let's do the introductions, shall we? We have a long day ahead!"

***

The early morning call from Carly surprised the redhead. Quite why the spiky haired brunette wanted a mid afternoon coffee with Rosie was unclear. She'd hardly spoken to the girl at the club—how could she when their shifts hadn't collided? But here in Starbucks, the dancer greeted her like a long lost friend.

"I wanted to get to know you a little better," Carly told her, hugging her then pushing one of the cappuccino's she'd already purchased across to Rosie. "A little fattening, but one won't do any harm," she grinned.

Her smile made her face appear softer. Rosie's initial impression was that the new dancer was a pretty driven individual who didn't stand any nonsense from anyone around her. But with those pearly white teeth and soft hazel eyes gleaming at her, she thought that maybe she'd been somewhat harsh with her initial judgement. "Thanks," she smiled, taking a sip of coffee. "But why me?"

"Two reasons," the brunette answered, her smile widening as she spoke. "First, you're the second best dancer in the club, and the crème de la crème should stick together."

Carly didn't believe in getting too close to anyone, of course, not unless she could use them in some way. When she discovered that it was Rosie that Big Eddie was waiting for when Desmond had intercepted her, she knew she had to find out more. If this girl was close to the gangster, she might have information that would be useful to Samuel.

Particularly in view of Desmond's plans for tonight.

Rosie gave a soft chuckle. "Crème de la crème, are we?" she asked. "Well, I must admit, Carly, I thought I was good at my job, but you're red hot up on that stage."

"Hey, thanks, girl," the brunette replied, widening her sugar sweet smile. "That's quite a compliment. I have to tell you I'm quite an exhibitionist, so that helps, don't you think?"

"Absolutely. Whereas I'm a little shy—"

This time it was Carly's chuckle that bounced around the small café. "You? Shy? Right girl -- I don't think so!"

"Mmmm, good cappuccino," Rosie smiled, wiping a layer of the frothy coffee from the top of her lip. "Okay, that's one reason for meeting me, but you said there were two?"

"Yeah," the brunette grinned, leaning closer across the table and raising her eyebrows. "You and I were hot together on stage, I wondered whether you were into other women?"

Rosie's cough was meant to disguise her gasp, but didn't quite make it. "Geez, Carly, you don't beat around the bush!"

"Can't afford, too," the spiky haired woman responded, her grin widening further so that her pearly white teeth flashed at Rosie. There was real meaning behind those hazel eyes. "I believe in being open, don't you?"

"It's a good trait," the redhead slowly answered. How could she rebuff the suggestion without upsetting her new friend? "But actually, I'm strictly men only. I mean… I'm flattered… and if I ever was… well… you're pretty sexy… but…"

The brunette let out a guffaw. "What? Did you think…? No, girl, I wasn't asking you to have sex with me!"

Rosie's deep blush at her mistake was accentuated by Carly's loud voice. At least two tables were staring across at them. The spiky haired woman's sparkling eyes watched her carefully, looking for any sign. If this one had been bisexual, she definitely wanted in on the action. If not… well... she liked a challenge!

"No, girl," she continued, as if her intentions had been pure all along. "I meant a dancing partnership. You and me doing a double act up on stage. I was thinking about suggesting it to Big Eddie."

The redhead quickly shook her head. Her relief was countered by the suggestion. "No, please, don't do that. He'd jump on the idea, I'm sure." She hesitated. "I've nothing against it, Carly, but I'm kinda hoping I won't be doing this whole thing much longer, that I can move on."

"What?" the brunette asked, unable to disguise look of genuine surprise. "But you're perfect for this. And the money's good. Why give it up?"

Rosie shivered at the woman's words. She was perfect for this?!? Carly had no idea what she was like, other than a superficial view. She just had to get away from everything! Why the hell had she got mixed up with that bastard, Charlie?

"Because it's not me," she nervously answered, "and can we keep our voices down? The whole room's listening in on this conversation!"

Carly laughed again, swinging around in her chair to take in the people around her. For a horrible second, Rosie thought her new friend was about to complain to anyone looking her way and let out a sigh of relief when she turned back. "Okay," the brunette agreed with an over exaggerated whisper. "I'm kinda used to speaking my mind and not giving a damn about others!"

Rosie raised her eyebrows. This was quite a girl!

"How well d'you know Big Eddie?" the brunette asked, resting on arm on the rear of her chair as she leaned backwards. "I mean, I don't want to fall foul of the boss, so anything you can tell me would help."

"Not that well," Rosie hesitantly said. "To be truthful, until the yesterday, I've tried to keep out of his way."

"Yesterday?"

Rosie paused, feeling her heart beat faster in anticipation of where the conversation was going. She didn't want to share what had happened between her and Charlie with too many other people, particularly those who knew her well. But maybe sharing a little with another female might help? "My boyfriend ran out on me," she confessed. "He owed money and Eddie paid the debt. But that means I owe him."

"Sounds like bad news," Carly sympathised, "and let me guess how he wants you to pay it off!"

The words hit home, and the tears that were never far away couldn't be restrained any longer. Carly moved chairs so she could slip an arm around the redhead. "Let them out," she told her. "Let them out, girl."

Carly handed over some tissues and as Rosie wiped her eyes, she glanced around the small café. God knows what her face looked like. "I'm sorry," she blurted, taking a little comfort that she'd found someone she could open up to.

"Nothing to be sorry about," Carly softly smiled, with more tenderness than Rosie thought the brunette was capable of. The spiky haired woman was brushing her fingers through her loose hair and it felt reassuring. "So, yesterday with Eddie," Carly continued. "That was part payment?"

Rosie nodded, eyes growing wide. "He wanted a private dance. Then we fucked."

"For God's sake, girl," Carly joked, "I'd have fucked you in that dress! You looked smokin'!" Both women laughed. "But listen, Rosie, you're fucking clients anyway. What's the difference?"

"I'm not sure," Rosie responded. What was the difference? Daniel? "I've met this guy, Carly, a poker player. I really like him -- I mean really! I need to find a way out if I'm to have a chance with him." She stopped herself, suddenly aware she was saying too much, but the brunette's eyes showed only concern.

"How much do you owe?" Carly asked, moving back in her chair and pulling her fingers away from the silken red hair. If she weren't careful, she'd be dragging those full red lips to hers. She picked up the now lukewarm coffee, more for something to keep her hands occupied.

"Fifty thousand," Rosie answered. The tears threatened to return, but she choked them back.

"FIFTY THOU!!?" Carly spat, slamming the cup back down onto its saucer. "Fuck girl, what did your boyfriend get into to owe that much? Rob a bank?"

"Gambled it away," Rosie quietly told her, wiping her nose with the tissue. "Don't ask me how, he just lost it gambling."

Carly's eyes narrowed. "You don't know? Then how'd' you know how much he owes?"

"Eddie told me," the redhead confided. "He took over the debt from loan sharks. Kept them off my back."

"Did he now?" the thoughtful brunette mused. That might well be the case, but a man like Big Eddie didn't have any morals. He wouldn't pay off a debt that size unless he had something up his sleeve. "Tell me Rosie?" she asked. "Do you have anything to do with Desmond?"

The brunette shook her head. "No, I stay away from him," she answered. "I've never liked the way he looks at me, so I just stay out of the way."

"And do you ever hear about Eddie's business dealings? Anything going on that shouldn't be?"

"No," the redhead answered, her features switching into a frown. "The only thing I know is that he makes his girls service private parties.

"What sort of parties?"

"You know. Mainly male only, but not always. They pay for some of Eddie's girls to dance for them."

"That's all?" Carly asked, unable to hide the twinkle that suddenly appeared in her soft hazel eyes.

Rosie gave a shudder. "That's all that's official. But when you hear some of the girls talk—"

"Ever done any?"

"No! No way, Carly. There're not for me!"

The spiky haired girl shrugged her shoulders. "They'd be a way of reducing what you owe Eddie," she explained, "but I'm sure you've already thought of that. Anything else going on?"

Rosie's hair danced on her shoulders when she shook her head. "Don't know of anything, but as I told you, I'm not that close. Why do you ask?"

Carly hesitated a second while she thought it through. "Well…" she eventually explained, "I'm just thinking… he must get up to different things, that's how these people work. If you and I keep our ears open, we might discover something that could lead to him wiping out that debt. What d'you think?" She paused long enough to let the implication sink in.

hal_tee
hal_tee
398 Followers