There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He grabbed her by her ponytail, and pulled her face towards his.

"What do you mean we may be able to get married after all? I've been sleeping next to a nude woman for two months, and I have not made love to her because of a promise we made to each other. If you try to walk out on me, I will take you to a deserted island and screw you six ways from Tuesday for five years just to make up for the insanity I'm putting up with now."

"I'm glad you mentioned that. My girlfriends don't believe a man like you exist. They don't believe a man can sleep with a woman and not make love to her. I am the only female at that table who is a virgin. They look at me like I am an oddity. You're coming to school with me tomorrow morning at 7:45. After you speak with them, Jayden can take you to work."

"What am I, 'Show and Tell'?"

"You're not allowed to show them anything. I don't want you to frighten them, and have them run away. You can tell them whatever you want, just don't lie."

"Can we eat dinner now?"

"Dinner was burnt to a crisp. It was inedible. Let's call in for a pizza or subs."

"Is that why you went through all this subterfuge?"

"It did serve a dual purpose. You should have seen the look in your eyes when I brought the Drano into the kitchen. I wish I had a camera for moments like that."

"You have a hell of a right arm too. Have you ever thought about going out for a baseball team?"

"No, I've never thought about it."

"If the college has an intramural team, join up and see what happens. You might enjoy it."

"Could you teach me how to play baseball?"

"I was the worst right fielder in the league, but I could hit very well."

"What could you hit?"

"The baseball; the pitcher pitches the baseball; the batter tries to hit it."

"Oh, it's another physics problem. I'll work on it and you can teach me. Do we have to buy anything?"

"Have you ever seen a baseball game?"

"No. Julius used to play football, but any time he wanted to watch a sporting event he went to the bar. I would study with my mom. Did my dad tell you what happened today in school?"

"No, we were working on separate projects. Whose class did you destroy today?"

"Do you want to try and stand up before I tell you?"

"Am I going to be back down here after you tell me?"

"There is that possibility."

"Then I might as well stay here, and not hurt myself again. What happened at school today?"

"I went before an Administrative and Faculty Review Board."

"They're kicking you out already?"

"No. I received a Bachelor of Science Degree today, after an hour of being tested by all the senior faculty members. They let me C.L.E.P. all my college courses. The vote was unanimous. I bet it took you longer than four days to graduate from college."

"I don't like you anymore. It took me two full years to graduate from college. It took me four full semesters, two winters and two summers to graduate college; and it took you four days. What did you do to them; threaten to burn down the University?"

"I didn't want to do it. Three of my professors got together and arranged it. I called dad, because I didn't want to go into graduate studies. It would have put me in with older students, which would have defeated the purpose of my being there. So they are leaving me with all the underclassmen, but letting me study from the graduate level books. I'm going to take an independent study with Doctor Allerton in Mechanical Engineering. He's going to teach me how to draw. My dad told him he would pay him his weight in gold. I took him out for ice cream when the school day ended today."

Gray laughed. "I would weigh 600 pounds by the time I finished teaching you."

"You probably wouldn't live long enough to spend the money you earned. Are you well enough to get up now?"

"Don't you ever hit me there again."

"I want children, and I want them from you. Does that answer your question?"

"I will control my hands, even though you have the prettiest butt around."

"My butt is not a round one, it's heart-shaped."

"May I take you to bed and check it out?"

"Not until after we order dinner; I'm hungry."

"I have an answer for that, but you might hurt me if I said it."

"Yes I would hurt you, and it would never happen again."

"Dinner; do you want a pizza or subs, make up your mind."

"I would like a Hawaiian pizza please?"

"With or without anchovies?"

"What the hell, with anchovies."

"There is a man after my own heart; pineapples and fish."

She made the call from their bedside phone, and told Gray the man said it would take 45 minutes for it to be delivered.

"I wonder what we could do in the next 45 minutes."

"I could take up knitting, and you could take after your father and read the stock market reports."

"We could do both those things, if you weren't naked. Since you are, I have another idea."

"Only one idea?"

"Fuck you."

"Not until I am 18, and we are married."

"Bitch!"

"That will be $20 please.

"I thought we started at $10."

"You said two bad words in two sentences."

"I know how to fix that."

He grabbed her knees and pulled them apart.

Delicious screamed, "No!"

She could have screamed 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' and it would not have mattered to him. His tongue was already at work, and her hands were fisting his hair.

************

Two weeks later Gray still had not told his mother he was engaged, and he was acting so irrationally in the lab. I told him to take a week off. I had no idea what his problem was, so I called Logan, had him pull Delicious out of class, and bring her to me.

"What's going on dad; is everything okay?"

"That was what I wanted to know. Are you and Gray okay?"

"We are fabulous dad. Having our own apartment has made our lives super. We fight less, and we talk more. We run every evening, and he even likes my cooking; I think. The privacy helps me a lot, and I'm able to tell him about the things that happened between my mother and father. Are you having a problem with Gray here?"

"Yes, I am. I told him to take the week off, because he's been acting very strangely. He's not getting any work done, which is very unlike him. Do you have any idea what's going on inside his head?"

"Oh God, his parents are coming down this weekend. His mother is a real harpe. She wants him to marry a girl whose father owns 38% of the B&O railroad. Gray's father owns 32% of that railroad. Between the two of them they could do whatever they wanted with it.

Grays mother has visions of grandchildren sitting under the Christmas tree playing with B&O railroad cars. When she hears he's engaged to me she's going to throw a fit. She's already thrown a fit, because he left NASA. When he tells her he's leaving the country she will kill him."

I laughed. "I can't wait until he tells her exactly how far he's leaving it behind."

"This is not funny dad, he's afraid of her."

"How much time do I have?"

"They arrive Friday afternoon."

"Do you trust me?"

"I have always trusted you, even when I hated you."

"Go home and tell Gray by Friday everything will be fine. Tell him to relax and trust me as you do."

"You have that evil look on your face dad. What are you thinking of doing?"

"I have to get these damn batteries in my hearing aid checked. I can't hear a word you're saying. Take my daughter home, Logan. I can't hear a word she's saying to me, again."

"You are a terrible liar dad."

"I'm sorry dear what did you say?"

"I love you dad."

"I love you too baby."

"You heard that all right."

"I read your lips?"

"I give up. Goodbye dad."

"Goodbye baby."

**********

Jennifer corralled me as soon as our daughter left, and asked me what the problem was. I told her.

She exclaimed, "Sometimes mothers can be a pain in the ass."

I asked her if she would put that in writing for me. I might be able to use it at some time in the future." (I was smart enough to be out of arms reach this time, and continue moving away from her at a fast pace. She is with child, and was still closing in on me; as I started down the steps to the lab.)

In the lab, I picked up my cell phone, and called New York.

"Zabo residence."

"Hello Jemma, we haven't met yet, but I am Doctor Even Luck, how are you?"

"Hello Doctor Luck, my husband has spoken of you many times. Would you like with speak to him?"

"Yes please, it is a matter of some urgency."

"Hello Even; is there a problem with our venture?"

"No not at all, everything is proceeding very well. This is a personal matter and I need your expertise to see if I'm doing the right thing."

"How can I help you Even?"

"As you know, my daughter is engaged to Doctor Thyme. His father owns 32% of the B&O railroad. His mother is insistent that he marry some woman whose father owns 38% of that railroad. I don't know what their intentions are, but my daughter will be heartbroken if his mother gets her way, and Gray insists he doesn't want any part of this woman. Can you give me any information about that railroad? Should I buy 18.1% of it to keep his father happy and give him a controlling interest of it? I know nothing about that industry. Can you help me?"

"Even that railroad company is a gem. I own 7% of it myself. I don't know what the float is, but I have friends that may be willing to sell their shares to me, and I could sell them to you. What is your deadline?"

"Gray's parents arrive Friday."

"That's not a lot of time. Let me get to work on it for you, and I'll call you back Wednesday evening to let you know how I'm doing."

"Thank you William, anything you can do for me will be appreciated 100 times over."

"You don't have to thank me Even, just keep those patents rolling in."

"You can count on it my friend; there is no doubt about it."

On Tuesday morning, there was a special report, on all the television networks, of a major railroad accident involving a freight train traveling at a high rate of speed through the B&O East Coast assembly yard. The double-decked freight carrier was bound for the Baltimore docks, when it crashed into another heavily loaded freight train. The truck-beds and railroad cars were strewn all over the assembly yard and turnarounds, causing massive damage, and fires. The police, fire department, FBI, and Homeland Security were there inspecting the scene Nothing could be touched, until the federal agencies decided if it was an accident or if it was an act of terrorism. That process could take days or weeks. When that was completed, it would take another 7 to 10 days to clear the yard, repair the tracks, and get the trains rolling again.

For all intent and purposes, the B&O railway and several other railroads that used the yard to assemble their freight carriers were shut down. The B&O railroad was out of business for minimum of 17 to 20 days.

When the Stock Exchanges opened, B&O's stock price plummeted, and selling was rampant.

William called Even Wednesday evening with good news.

"You could not have timed it better, Even. If you bought the stock on Monday, you would have paid a 40% premium and lost a ton of money Tuesday. The accident Tuesday morning sent prices through the floor. I was able to purchase 22% of their stock, directly through the world's stock markets, for $268 million. If you only want the 18.1 I'll keep the rest for myself at that price. What would you like to do?"

"I will take the 22% William, and give it to my children as a temporary wedding present. Then I will gift it to you for all you have done for us. You are a true and valued friend. I would never have been able to do this without your expertise."

"That is a very generous offer Even, but I cannot accept it. I have more money than I can spend in 10 lifetimes. Let your children keep it and disperse it as they see fit before we leave this planet. It will drive his mother crazy."

"You must be the smartest man alive William. I know it will give Gray the greatest pleasure to drive his mother insane. If you saw the way he acted this past week you would understand. Thank you so much for being my friend. If there is ever anything I can do for you, ask, and I will get it done."

"I feel the same way about you Even. Keep up the good work, I will keep in touch. Goodbye now."

I called Rod and had him write out a check to William for the amount of the transaction. He reminded me of the times I would choke at the thought of writing a check for $26.80. I remembered those days only too well.

I called Delicious and asked her not to scream when I told her what I did.

She screamed anyhow.

I asked her if I could speak to Gray, but she kept thanking me for minutes on end. I finally said to her, "If they don't get the check within 48 hours, the sale is void. Now am I going to speak to Gray or am I not sending them the check?"

She dropped the phone, screamed and ran through their apartment to get Gray.

"Pick up the phone Gray, it's is my father."

"I'm sorry about this week Even. This showdown with my mother is going to be a bitch."

"What showdown with your mother? Didn't Delicious tell you that I own 22% of the B&O railroad? It's Jennifer and my wedding present to both of you."

"What did you just say?"

"Why is everyone having a hard time understanding what I'm saying lately? I'm going to have everyone's ears checked. I own 22% of the B&O Railroad. It's Jennifer and my wedding present to you and my daughter. If your mother opens her mouth tell her to shut the fuck up. Your family can control the railroad, if you want to. Your father will put his foot down on your mother's throat if he has to, but your mother will never say another word to you as long as she lives."

"Why did you do this Even? Was it for Delicious?"

"Of course it was for Delicious, but it was just as much for you. I watch how you work, and I like what I see. You are a brilliant scientist and over the next nine years you are going to become an invaluable asset to this quest of ours. I would not trade you for any 10 other scientists. I'm not just saying that to keep you happy Gray, it's the truth. You grasp concepts quickly, where others would stare for hours and get nothing done. I want you to be at my side, until the end of this project. I want you to be with me, and watch us succeed. I want you to be able to laugh at all the doubters, who were positive we were going to fail."

"I want a raise."

"No. I just spent $268 million to put your head on straight, and put cement in your mother's mouth. I will not let you prey on my sympathy for your feelings, plus you dented your new car in less than two hours."

"That was not my fault."

"You were driving the car, which makes you liable for the accident. If Gordon could see over the steering wheel, he could probably have driven it better than you."

"That was a low blow Even."

"Go out and celebrate with my daughter. Your worries are over. Be at work early tomorrow to make up for your lost time."

"You want me to celebrate tonight and be at work early tomorrow. I don't know how that is going to work out."

"Don't drink alcoholic beverages."

"Yes daddy."

"You're welcome son."

************

Months after the incident the National Transportation Safety Board blamed the accident on a faulty linkage coupling between the power control module and the locomotives speed control assembly. It was put down as a control malfunction. The engineer was absolved of any criminal involvement in the accident.

Thankfully no one was hurt.

********

Gray and Delicious waited by the exit area for United Airlines passengers. Delicious had to talk him into meeting them here, because it was the right thing to do. He was not so sure about it.

When he spotted his parents he waved, and pointed them out to her. Delicious was expecting a good-looking woman, a very polished aristocratic looking person, who demanded attention. This woman was anything but that. She stood about 5'1" tall, severely overweight, and had a face that could stop an Abrams tank. She nearly laughed.

His father was exactly what she expected. Gray and he could be twins separated by 25 years or so. He was tall, walked with a grace that demanded you to get out of his way, because he was someone, and you were not in his league. It was the same walk she had seen from William Zabo and Stephano Valentino. It was a bearing you could not miss, unless you were blind.

The argument started within seconds.

"Hello mother, how are you?"

"I'm fine, who the hell is she?"

"Keep a civil tongue in your mouth mother or you can get on the next aircraft and go home."

"Don't you dare talk to me like that; I raised you to be a gentleman."

"You raised me to be afraid of you. I am no longer afraid. If you are going to continue to mouth off, turn around, and leave, it won't bother me at all. This is my fiancée, Delicious Luck."

"You can tell this little tramp to get lost. You are going to marry Junie Penick."

"I would not marry that slut if she was the last woman on the face of the earth. Except for father, I believe she has fucked every man in the state of Pennsylvania. She is probably halfway through the women by now. I have no doubt that her father was first on her list."

"Don't you dare talk about Cyrus that way."

"Do you want to continue this discussion in the airport terminal, or in the comfort of my home."

Randolph Thyme said, "Your home please Grayson."

Logan took point, and Jayden picked up the rear.

Gray's mother asked, "Who are they?"

"They are our bodyguards. What we are working on is so advanced, my friends at NASA asked me if they should cut off funding for Orion, and wait until we give our patents to the University in 9 or 10 years, to go to Mars."

40 minutes later they entered their penthouse apartment, and his mother started picking it apart.

Gray saw that Delicious was at her boiling point, and stepped in.

"Dad either you tell mother to shut up or I will. Delicious and I own 22% of the B&O railway. If we want, we can combine our stock with yours and have over 50% control of the company, and do whatever you want with it. If you don't put a muzzle on your wife I will go to Cyrus Penick, and I will combine my stock with his and let him decide the future of the railroad. Think of yourself looking down on Cyrus, or him looking down at you. How do you want to play this?"

"When and how much did you pay for the stock?"

"It was purchased Wednesday for $268 million."

"I know you didn't have that kind of money. Who bought it for you?"

"My soon to be father-in-law, Doctor Even Luck."

"Your father-in-law is a sneaky bastard. He purchased all the stock that was available, starting in Japan, as soon as their market opened. He had buy orders in every market as their exchanges opened. By the time the New York Stock Exchange opened there wasn't one share to be had. I was furious, because I was ready to buy a controlling interest in the company."

"You have that opportunity now dad and you don't have to spend a dime to do it."

"I've already told Cyrus that Gray was going to marry Junie. I will not go back on my word."

"Freda shut up. When are you two getting married?"

"Next July, we haven't picked the date yet."

"Don't you think you should? July is a very busy month for weddings, and vacations. You don't want to mess up people's vacation plans by scheduling your wedding in the middle of them."

"Delicious would you bring in your Microsoft Surface Pro so we can look for a date after your birthday."

He didn't see her leave the room, but she was handing him her computer before he knew it.