There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Will one of you please tell me what's going on here?"

Doctor Finch said, "Everyone in the hospital heard about the miracle you performed a few moments ago. They are going to build a statue of you and put it in the lobby, surrounded by a fountain. The blind, the terminally ill, the mentally infirm; everyone will come here to be blessed by you. At $10,000 each, you will become a very wealthy man."

"Should I smack him now Lucius, or wait until Margaret is better?"

"I would wait until Margaret is better general, and then I would smack him. I wouldn't charge a penny less than $20,000 per person. Of course, children would be free."

"Lucius, you are disgraceful."

"Okay general, would you like to explain to me how, after 35 minutes of trying feverishly to bring Margaret back, the Doctors couldn't get her heart started. However, with one blow from your fist, you bring Margaret back to life?"

"I have no fucking idea. All I know is I didn't want to lose her."

"Are you saying the attending physician, and everyone else that was with her wanted to lose Margaret?"

"Of course not, I would have to sue William, and I have a feeling I would lose."

"Do you see how smart generals are Doc? They don't have to see the battlefield to know when they're overmatched."

"If Margaret continues to do well Colonel, do I still get my daughters?"

"Would you like to have a cup of coffee Doctor? This is a conversation best had privately. Most generals are blabbermouths."

"You're not going anywhere Colonel, not until I know Margaret's alright."

"Are you ever going to learn Dan? If she opens her eyes, who do you want her to see: Handsome, debonair me, or slightly pudgy, square-faced you?"

"I forgot to tell you Lucius; I'm pissed at you. You ate my bacon."

"Margaret just had a heart attack. When was the last time you had a physical to check the grease level in your veins?"

"Maybe 2 years now."

"Doctor Finch, you know what to do."

"Let's have our coffee. We will stop at scheduling and I will set it up for him. He's going to love it."

"Don't forget to do a cardiac catheterization on him."

"That will be one of the more pleasant exams we will give him. Our G.I. Doctor loves giving colonoscopies."

************

As they sat down to coffee, Lucius asked, "Why did you wife leave?"

"Temple is an underserved area. If you stay here for six years after you complete your residency, they forgive your student loans. I am a plastic surgeon. They have me working in the emergency room and anywhere they can use me, during my shift. I also have student loans of $320,000. My wife and I got married while we were in college. We had Lisa right away, but it was okay, because we had parents that were very supportive of us. We were never short of money. Shortly after Lisa, we had Charlotte. She is a beauty, in every way you can think of.

Everything was fine, until we got here. She hated this place immediately. She was used to the finer things in life. She called this place a cowboy hick town. You have everything in the world you could ever want an hours drive south in Austin, but that wasn't good enough for her. All she did was complain. Eight months ago, she got a lawyer. He sued me for everything, including my jockstrap. Her parents gave her all the money she wanted to pay for her lawyer. It would have been too expensive for my parents to do.

I was a faithful husband. I went to work, and went home. I was attentive to my wife, and I loved my children.

Her lawyer tore me apart for taking my wife away from her family, and away from her standard of living. He tore me apart for everything you could think of, and the jury bought it. The people in this town agreed with my wife. Does that tell you how many people in this city hate being here?"

"Okay Doctor, now for the easy part. Do you want your wife to go to jail?"

"That would be poetic justice, wouldn't it? I could live with that Colonel."

"Does your wife drink?"

"When she goes to parties yes she does, but she doesn't drink while she is alone with the girls."

"What kind of driver is she?"

"Now that she's back home, she's probably driving a Mercedes sports car; that should answer your question."

"Does she party during the week, or just on the weekends?"

"The ski resorts are open at this time of year. The best time to party is during the week: Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday, when it's not too busy. There's no snow this early in the year. The college kids, and the locals, keep them busy enough to open, and make money."

"Can you get time off to go see your girls for Thanksgiving?"

"Sandy will be pissed, but I'm sure I can get off for four or five days."

"That will do fine Doctor. It will give us enough time to learn the lay of the land. You should have your children in your arms by New Year's Day."

"If you can do that for me Colonel, you can count on your Doctor and a new family to go on your trip with you."

"Don't make any rash decision Doctor. I still think you should come over, and see what were doing first."

"I'll wait until we get Margaret out of here, then I'll come over."

"I'll be waiting for you."

"Thank you Colonel, I can't wait to see my girls. I'll send my wife an email telling her that I want the girls over the Thanksgiving holiday. As I said, she is not going to be pleased."

"Now isn't that a shame Doc."

****************

Paul Zachary sent Lucius a text: 'Uncle Lou can't be with you on assignment. Pauly.'

"Lucius counted every letter between the proper names. It appeared he was going to get 24 guests from the vice president. They were probably his very best; otherwise, Paul would not have broken radio silence. He had to know when they were coming, where they were landing, their time of arrival, and the kind of armaments they were bringing with them.

They had to be stopped before they disappeared into the community, and were able to set up a base of operation for the larger group to come.

General Morgan was of no use to him now. His mind was elsewhere. He needed Colonel Daniels. He also needed Agnes Moorhead from the FAA, and Patti Valentino, and her computer skills.

"First things first, I'll call Agnes. He took out his cell phone and hit her speed dial number."

"FAA flow control center, this is chief controller Moorhead, how may I help you?"

"Hello Agnes, this is Colonel Lucius Canyon; how are you today?"

Agnes stuttered as she tried to regain her composure.

"I haven't heard from him Colonel, I swear not one peep."

"I believe you Agnes, but I think you will be hearing from him in the next few days. I just wanted you to know I sent two men to Virginia to keep an eye on your parents. If I find out he calls you, and you didn't tell me immediately, your parents will be filleted alive."

"I promised you when we talked last time, as soon as I get word that any of his aircraft depart, you would be the first to know. I don't want my parents harmed. I will keep my word to you. I swear it."

"That's good to hear Agnes; I will tell my people to keep a good distance away from your parents, because you've given me your word. Don't disappoint me."

"I have your number on speed dial Colonel, when I hear anything, you will hear it seconds later."

"Have a good day Agnes, keep the airplanes flying smoothly."

******************

"Jack, I need you at the NEST yesterday, we are expecting visitors."

"Fuck Lucius, they are early."

"This is a reconnaissance team, and we are going to take them out, before they can get into position. What did you do besides build, and destroy stuff?"

"We laid landmines, Claymore's, Bangalore's, and booby-traps. If it had anything to do with explosives, my team and I did it."

"Where the hell do you get your hands on explosives in Texas?"

"Come on Lucius, you have to be kidding me. You can get explosives at the 7/11 in Texas, if you have cash."

"See Stephano in the morning, and get a check for $20,000.00. If he asks what its' for, tell him I said it was for spy removal. That should end his questions. Go to the bank and get cash. Buy whatever you need."

"This is going to be such fun."

"I don't want it to be fun; I want it to be quick."

*************

"Hello Stephano, you are going to be at your desk tomorrow morning."

"No Lucius I'm taking the day off."

"No Stephano, you're going to be at your desk tomorrow morning, until you write Colonel Daniels a check for $20,000, then you can go home."

"Why am I writing...?"

"Stephano, you are writing a check for $20,000 tomorrow morning, because I asked you for it. You don't want to know what it's for, and you don't want to ask any more questions; just do as I ask, please."

"Alright Lucius, I'll be in the office at 8 AM. Is there anything else you need from me?"

"General Morgan is out the position, because of Margaret. Effectively, I am in charge of security, until that situation resolves itself. If anyone has a problem with that, take it up with Mister Zabo."

"I have no problem with it Lucius; I think you're the best man for the job."

"Thank you Stephano, I appreciate your vote of confidence. May I speak to Patti please?"

"She's riding my dick, give her a moment. She can't fuck, and talk at the same time."

"Fuck you Steph. Hi Lucius, what can I do to help?"

"How do you know what I'm going to ask you isn't illegal?"

"I owe you and your friends my life Lucius. Fuck illegal."

"Patti, the VP is sending us 24 uninvited guests. I have to know when they depart, and what their arrival time is. It would be great to know what their armament package is, and if possible, who they are. The more information I have on them, the better I can prepare for them. The aircraft are probably registered to 'Advanced Algorithms' or 'James Pierce."

"Is that all you want?"

"Yes, that's all I need."

"Will tomorrow at noon be soon enough?"

Lucius heard Stephano in the background, "Patti stop showing off, and turn around so I can get to your tits."

"Lucius, my husband is about to cum, and he hates it when I'm distracted. It will be on his desk by 12:01P.M. I'll be in his office getting laid."

"I'll make sure to knock, before I come in."

"I told you that you were a real gentleman."

***********************

"How are you feeling?"

"It feels like an elephant sat on my chest."

"That elephant might have been me Margaret."

"What did you do this time Dan?"

"I got angry with God for taking you away from me. I reached my fist up into the air, and demanded he give you back. When nothing happened, I brought fist down, and by accident my fist hit you in the center of your chest."

"You always were a clumsy oaf."

"Maybe, but a second later, your heart started beating, and it hasn't stopped."

"You saved my life?"

"I may have started your heart, but it wasn't your time to go Margaret. You haven't married me yet."

"That's probably what caused my heart attack. The ring is gorgeous. It must've cost you a fortune."

"I don't know, Lucius won't tell me. He said it's a gift from everyone. I made him swear it was not stolen."

"He wouldn't do that to you Dan. Then again, he might, just to get even with you for getting him thrown out of the Army."

"No, we are beyond that now. You settled it for us. You settled a lot of things. All you had to do was die to do it. You died at 9:09 AM. So what do you want to do now Margaret?"

"I don't know Dan, what do you want to do?"

"I told everyone to keep Valentine's Day blocked on there calendars, because I'm going to ask you again, and again, and again. Margaret Post will you marry me?"

"Oh hell my flowers, I left them in the sink. I hope I didn't ruin them."

"Are you going to think of anything else to avoid answering my question? I would rather it be a no, so I can figure out another way to attack the problem, rather then be left hanging with no answer."

"Close the drape Dan, we have to talk."

"Okay, tell me why you don't want to marry me."

"How did you know?"

"You asked me to close the drape. If it was going to be yes, you would have screamed it from the highest tree top."

"You ruined my life Dan. Since the day I left you, I was unable to trust any man. There were many who were very nice to me, but as we grew closer, all I could remember is how you treated me, while we were together, and then lied to me. I withdrew from all of them. I was never going to be hurt by another man, as I was by you again. You may not have wanted to get married, but I couldn't get married, because of what you did to me. I can never forgive you for doing that to me."

"Why did you leave Pennsylvania, and come to work for me?"

"I was maxed out on my government retirement program, and you offered me a ton of money. Why wouldn't I double-dip?"

"You had no feelings for me at all?"

"I've always had feelings for you, and I probably always will. Deep in my soul, I love you, but in my mind, I know I'm going to get hurt again. I'm not willing to take that chance. I was going to tell you that when you called me the evening of the accident."

"Do you believe a man can change? Do you believe in enlightenment? To be truthful with you Margaret, I didn't. I've known too many men and women, while I was in the service, and they never changed. A leopard is a leopard, and it can't change its spots.

I've known good men all my life, and as soon as they were away from their wives, they would screw anything in a skirt. While they were home, they were absolute angels. You couldn't ask for a better husband or father. You ask any of their wives if their husbands were capable of cheating on them, and they would swear, on a stack of Bibles, it was not possible. Their husbands would go to church with them, take them out to dinner, be attentive to their needs and wants, and take care of the children so they can go out with their friends, while he was at home. He was God's gift to the married woman, and he was, until he was transferred overseas. Then he acted as if he wasn't married.

I wasn't married, but I wasn't like them. Yes, I had a few affairs, but they were few and far between. I was a loner. I learned to do my job better than anyone else did, because my secretary showed me how to do it perfectly the first time. I did it that way throughout my career. That's how I rose through the ranks quicker than my fellow West Point graduates did.

In all the years we were apart, I could remember your face perfectly. I laughed every time I heard someone speaking with a deep New England accent, because it brought you to mind.

Then you came to work for me. Lucius, God I wanted to kill him, walks into my office on his first day, and asks me when we are getting married. I knew you two couldn't have staged it, because of the way you greeted each other. From that day forward, every time he walked into the office, the two of you had a field day with me.

Even though I began to think it was a good idea, because of the way I felt about you, the two of you would stick spurs in my side, and I would push back the other way.

You two would laugh at my discomfort, and I would get angry with both of you. I knew I was wrong, but I would not admit it, because the both of you would have laughed at me again."

"Tell me I am wrong, Margaret, and I will never bother you again."

"What difference does it make if you are right or wrong; only your pride would have been hurt."

"What about you Margaret? What about your pride, and your infamous New England obstinance? Once you dug your heels in, there is no moving you at all. Is it true or false? How many times did we argue over something, and you wouldn't budge."

"I was right most of the time."

"That's not the point. First, you were talking to your commanding officer. Second, you were doing it in front of the entire office staff. I could have sent you to the brig for insubordination."

"You wouldn't do that to me. You needed me."

"I didn't need someone in my office that would disrupt order. You got away with more bullshit in that office, than anyone else would have."

"Why are we talking about events that happened 30 years ago?"

"We are talking about those years, because that is when you said I hurt you the most. If I could take those years back I would, but I can't. All I'm trying to say is I've changed. It took me a long time to do it, and one of my worst enemies to help me along, but I'm here. I'm begging you to accept my apology for the years that have gone by, and the amount of pain I caused you. I am asking you again to marry me, but if you can't, please forgive me for those transgressions. It will help me live with myself."

"I hate these damn tubes. I have them everywhere."

"Have they let you see the one in your abdomen yet?"

"Oh yes, that one is a beauty. Doctor Finch said I would not have a scar from that surgery, because he closed. I don't understand how, because the cut is massive."

"Lucius told me Finch is a plastic surgeon, that's probably why he said you won't have the scar."

"That answers that question."

"Are you ready to answer mine?"

"I was hoping you would forget."

"How could I possibly forget two questions that are very important to both of us?"

"What were the questions again?"

"Now is not the time to play dumb Margaret. You never forget anything. Answer my questions. The answers are either: no/no, no/yes, or yes/yes. I know which one I'm hoping for, but our future rests in your hands."

"Are you going to be able to control your pride?"

"Yes I am fully under control."

"Yes Daniel, I forgive you for those transgressions. The intense loneliness, the pain, and suffering I went through, and the men I turned away, because I was afraid to get hurt again."

He kissed her, and thanked her for her generosity. He asked, "Is there anything I can get you?"

"Yes, I need a legal pad, and a few pens."

"You're very weak; do you want me to send over a secretary to help you do whatever you going to do?"

"No, I want to do the guest list by myself."

"Okay."

He started opening the privacy sheet. He stopped abruptly.

"What list?"

"The guest list."

"No, the guest list for what."

"I was thinking of having a party afterwards."

"What kind of party?"

"Party for our guests, of course."

"Did you say our guests?"

"I don't think so."

"I think you're lying."

"I try never to lie."

"Are you always successful?"

"I am, most of the time."

"Were you successful this time?"

"Mostly!"

"Mostly is like close; it only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Did you tell me the complete and unadulterated truth?"

"Not exactly."

"You have a smile on your face that tells me you're lying. I'll get Lucius in here, and have him torture you until you tell me the truth. Did you say our guests or not?"

"I'm not sure."

"Let's try this again. What kind of party are we having?"

"It doesn't matter what kind of party we are having?"

"There it is, you used the word we again."

"It must've been the slip of the tongue."

I'm going to attack this from a different direction.

"Margaret Post, will you marry me?"

"WE can't throw a party, if I don't say YES."

Dan smiled. "Give me one moment please."

He opened the privacy sheet, and asked everyone at the nurse's station to join him at Margaret's cubicle.

When they arrived, he said, "I need you as witnesses so I can sue this woman if she takes these words back. Margaret Post will you marry me?"

"Daniel Morgan, yes I will marry you, but if you ask me one more time I may change my mind."

"Did everyone here that? Margaret has agreed to marry me. She is mine and no one else's. You are all invited to our wedding on Valentine's Day. Give her your names and she will put them on our guest lists. Does anyone have a legal pad? If not, I will go to guest services and get one immediately."

123456...8