Things Happen For A Reason Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Snapping back to the present, Sarah glanced at Luke to gauge his reaction so far. There was more, so much more she wanted to explain. She'd had to get very resourceful in searching for Luke while hiding from Riley and all of their old friends. Would showing Luke what she'd done convince him how much she'd loved him, even then? Poor Luke. He looked pole-axed. With a heavy sigh, he raked back the hair from his face and Sarah thought to herself What a fool I was to ever think Riley was better looking.

"That's quite a story," Luke admitted a bit warily. "Whatever happened to Riley? Did he finally leave you alone?"

She shrugged. "I thought he had. But several months ago, I began getting hang-up calls. I don't have caller ID, so I don't know for sure. I just had this feeling it could be him. And then last week—"

"The package," he remembered. She hadn't even opened it.

"How did you—?" She stared at him in amazement. "Yes, I got a package. I threw it away."

"Why? How did you even know it was from him or that it contained something bad?"

Pacing now, she admitted, "I don't know for sure that it contained something bad, but before I left Atlanta, he began sending me packages like that. Lingerie I wouldn't even wear for you, let alone him. Sex toys. Dirty things. Accompanied by dirty suggestions about what he wanted to do with me and those things. I never forgot the handwriting or address. That's how I know it was from him the other day."

"He's stalking you," Luke decided. "You should have kept it as evidence."

"I don't want any trouble," Sarah argued. "I don't know why he started up again, or how he found me. I just want to forget about Riley. Luke?" she asked, sending him a pleading look. "Aren't you going to say anything? Do you hate me now?"

He didn't immediately answer. His jaw tightened as if he were clenching it, and his eyes had a faraway look that suggested he was thinking hard, maybe a little angry. He moved to his feet and walked over to the window. Finally, he said in a strange voice, "I'm still taking it all in."

He hated her. Sarah had expected it, but that didn't soften the blow of the pain she suddenly felt, especially when he demanded, "And you're sure Jack is mine? No chance that he's Riley's?"

"I'm positive," she told him. Her son looked too much like Luke to doubt it now.

"I'd like to have tests done to prove it, if you don't mind."

He said it so calmly it unnerved her. "You haven't even met Jack yet," she thought aloud.

"And that's my fault?" he returned harshly. Oh yes, he was definitely angry. She recognized that tone and the taut way he was holding his shoulders. He'd looked that way, sounded just like that the night he'd discovered that she'd slept with Riley. Luke had so rarely lost his temper that when he did, it was a little bit frightening.

What would she do if, God forbid, the tests proved that Riley was the father? She knew it was a long shot, but…what if? What if Luke left her again, for good this time? The very thought plunged ice needles down her back. She had to make him see that she loved him, that Jack already loved him too, that they could be a family.

After today's events she didn't have much hope. Worse, she didn't have a clue how to win Luke back after this. She supposed she'd survived before without him, and she could do it again. The point was, she didn't want to. She'd never wanted anything or anyone more than for Luke to be a part of their family.

With a shake of his head, Luke looked at his wrist and declared, "We'd better get going. We'll miss our appointment with the counselor." He said it calmly, and the flash of anger he'd displayed seemed to have passed as quickly as it came.

"The counselor?"

"Our appointment is at 1:30," he reminded her.

She was a little surprised he still wanted to go with her, but she wasn't about to question it. She simply breathed a sigh of relief and said, "OK. Let me grab my purse."

Sarah just hoped this counselor was a good one.