Thunder Bay Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't fuck with me Burt!" I threatened, keeping my voice down. "Or I'll tell that wife of yours about Katie Blanchard down in Research."

"Katie! How'd you know about that?" Burt asked in amazement.

"You just told me." I laughed. "I took a wild guess and you fell for it."

I left Burt standing at the coffee bar, looking dumbfounded and embarrassed. That was his most familiar look so nobody took much notice of it.

Emily wasn't at her desk when I arrived at my office but I didn't think it unusual. She often ran errands for anyone who ask her to, being too congenial to say no. Entering my office, I found her sticking a post-it-note to my computer monitor.

"Morning Emily." I greeted her, tossing my purse and attaché onto the credenza. "How's everything?"

"I....I was just leaving you a note....so you'd see it when you came in." The woman stammered, taking a couple of steps backward. "I thought it might be important."

"Oh....ok." I responded, taking note of her odd behavior.

Pulling the note from my monitor, I saw it was a message from Robbie. I kept reading it over and over, forgetting about Emily's presence.

"I still care about you. More now than ever." The message read. "Call me, please." Signed Robbie, followed by a cell phone number.

"I jotted it down word for word." Emily muttered. "Somehow it got left on my voicemail instead of yours."

"Why didn't you just transfer the message?" I questioned, still staring at the note.

"Cause I figured you'd just delete it as soon as you found out who it was from." Emily replied.

I wasn't sure how Robbie had tracked me down, let alone gotten my phone number at the bank. He had to have put a lot of effort into it. Then again, maybe he had some help.

"So? You gonna call him?" Emily inquired, sounding quite concerned.

"I don't know. I might." I responded. "Right now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do."

"Don't throw the note away until you've thought it over." My secretary suggested, gently squeezing my arm. "I accidentally erased the message."

I knew better. Emily never accidentally did anything. She was just being cautious, worrying that security might be reviewing employee's voicemails, monitoring for personal calls.

I put the note in my center desk drawer, still unsure about calling the young man. Booting up my computers, I kicked off my high-heels, then sat down in my soft leather chair. There was banking business I needed to attend to. Whether I called Robbie or not, my decision would have to wait until later.

It wasn't until early afternoon when the decision was practically made for me. Emily came into my office, sipping on a cup of iced tea.

"That guy's on line four." She stated. "You want me to transfer it to your phone?"

"Robbie?" I asked.

"Yeah." Emily answered, trying to subdue a grin. "He sounds kinda cute."

I took a deep breath, looking away from the woman for a moment. I still wasn't sure what to do.

"I'll transfer the call." Emily proclaimed, turning to go back to her desk. "Let him have his say before you slam the phone down on him."

"Hello." I said, answering the call.

"Valerie! This is Rob!" He stated. "Don't hang up on me! Please don't hang up one me!"

"Robbie, you're wasting your time." I avowed, growing incensed at his words. "Nothing you say is going to change my mind about you. I could never again believe a word you say."

"I want to explain what happened." Robbie countered. "At least listen to what I have to say."

Reluctantly I agreed to listen to him, although I wasn't about to believe one word that came out of his mouth.

"My grandfather told me to wine and dine you. He suggested we spend the evening on one of the houseboats after dinner." Robbie disclosed. "He wanted me to romance you a little. I'll admit to that."

"But what happened between us later that night was none of his doing." He added. "I found myself....well....you know....falling for you."

"Rob, I think you've said enough." I affirmed, interrupting him before he could say another word. "You betrayed me and that's something I could never forgive."

"Valerie. Believe me, I didn't betray you." Rob pleaded. "I'd never do that to anyone."

I wasn't sure what to say or if I should say anything at all. I didn't want to hang up on him but I didn't want to continue arguing either.

"I understand Frank's had a mild stroke." I finally said, breaking the silence. "How's he doing?"

"He's gonna be alright." Robbie answered. "He's gonna be in the hospital for another week or so, going through some rehab."

"Who's running Thunder Bay?" I questioned. "You or your mother?"

"Mom closed it down." He replied, sounding disheartened. "I'm not sure if we'll ever reopen. The creditors are threatening to file legal claims. Everything's a mess."

"Have you mother call me right away!" I exclaimed, hearing the news. "I need to talk with her right away!"

"Why?" Robbie asked.

"Don't ask why, just do as I say!" I shouted into the phone. "Don't fuck this up!"

With that said, I hung up on him, hoping he'd contact his mother right away. A few minutes later my phone rang. Picking it up on the second ring, I found myself talking with Rebecca. She was at the hospital, visiting her former father-in-law. We chatted about Frank's condition, discussing the latest on his condition. He sounded ornery as ever from what I could hear in the background.

"I understand the creditors are threatening to take legal action." I stated.

"Yeah. They are." Rebecca agreed. "The doctor's think the increased stress is what brought on the stroke."

"I'll make a few phone calls and get the creditors off your back." I affirmed. "But you've got to get Frank to agree to sell me Thunder Bay first."

"I've got Frank's power of attorney." Rebecca divulged. "I can make that decision for him."

"I'd rather hear it from Frank himself." I countered. "If he's able to comprehend what's going on, he'll have to make the decision himself."

"I'll put him on." Rebecca stated. "I'm sure he'd like to talk to you."

"Hey there little lady!" Frank shouted into the phone. "How's my girl doing?"

"I'm doing fine Frank." I responded. "I understand you're doing better."

"Ahhhh. I guess." Frank grumbled. "These bastards won't let me have one damn cigar!"

"You don't need a cigar." I affirmed. "Right now, the only thing you need is rest."

"I guess." Frank muttered, reluctantly agreeing.

"Let's talk about my buying Thunder Bay." I suggested. "My offer still stands at three point five million."

"Bullshit!" Frank bellowed. "Thunder Bay's worth ten million!"

"But you were only asking five and I'm not about to offer that much." I argued. "Take my offer and get out of this mess or the creditors will come in and take the business away from you."

"We talking cash?" Frank questioned, his voice much calmer.

"Certified check." I answered. "Give me a yes and I'll pay off the creditors and give you a check for whatever's left."

"You're one smart cookie!" Frank laughed. "You've got that cute little butt of yours covered from all angles!"

"I'm not taking any chances." I declared. "I want to make sure I get Thunder Bay free and clear without any outstanding debts."

"I see now why Robbie fell head over heels for you." Frank uttered. "Can't say I blame the boy."

"Let's leave your grandson out of this." I retorted. "Give me a yes or give me a no."

"You just bought yourself Thunder Bay!" Frank roared. "I just hope you know what the hell you're doing!"

"I'll find out if I know or not." I stated, suppressing my excitement. "I'll have the purchase agreement drawn up and proceed with paying off all your creditors. Right now, you just get better and get some rest."

"Valerie." Frank muttered, sounding somber. "I'm glad you're the one who ended up with Thunder Bay. I'm a good judge of character and I'm confident you'll make a good houseboat builder."

Before concluding the call I chatted with Rebecca, discussing my intentions to take over the business before the upcoming holiday. I could tell by the relieved tone of her voice she was happy Frank and I had finally reached an agreement.

Working late that evening, I transferred a million dollars from my 401K account into a new account listed under the name "Venture Limited LLC". Adding to that, a signature loan for three million dollars, it gave me enough money to purchase Thunder Bay with enough left over for incidental expenses that I knew I'd have.

I had mixed emotions sitting on four million dollars in cash and knowing I'd just purchased a business that was barely keeping its head above water. If I failed to turn the business around, I'd never be able to recover my losses. But if I was successful, I'd almost double my money. It was a gamble that challenged my management abilities but one I was willing to take on.

Surprisingly I slept well that night, not letting the thoughts of what I'd done enter into my mind. I wasn't about to let myself lose sleep over anything or anyone, least of all, Robbie!

The following morning, I phoned my attorney, filling him in on the business deal I'd just made. I wanted the upper hand so having the purchase agreement along with all the legal documents taken care of from my side of the fence was imperative. I wasn't about to trust Frank Martin, not after what he and his grandson had done to me.

My attorney worked overtime, pressing several of his staff members to help put the purchase agreement together. I paid off all of Thunder Bay's creditors so the only thing I needed was Frank Martin's signature on the documents. Stuffing the paperwork in my attaché, along with a certified check for just over a half million dollars, I was prepared to consummate the deal.

I phoned Rebecca Martin Thursday evening to let her know I'd be arriving in Somerset sometime Friday afternoon. Finding out Frank was feeling better and recovering at home was good news. He was looking forward to my visit as much as I was.

For most of the trip, I drove through one rain storm after another. The holiday traffic was heavy but that was to be expected. While many motorists sped past me like their butts were on fire, I let the cruise control keep my speed constant, not wanting to get a speeding ticket.

Around 2:00pm, I arrived in Somerset. Out-of-towners jammed the four-lane divided highway, many towing boats or waverunners. I hadn't made hotel reservations, knowing it would be virtually impossible over the biggest summer holiday of the year. Beside, I didn't need to. I had fourteen houseboats to pick from that I could stay on.

Frank Martin's house was located in a subdivision north of town. Finding it wasn't difficult, spotting Rebecca's mini-van parked in the driveway. Thankfully, I didn't see Rob's pick-up anywhere in sight. He was the last person I wanted to see.

Pulling in the driveway behind the mini-van, I reached for my purse and attaché. Rebecca was standing at the door, happy to see me.

"Frank's in the kitchen, having a bite to eat." She stated, holding the door open for me.

At first, I was a little dumbstruck when I saw the elderly gentleman. Frank's complexion looked gray and bland but his smile told me he was feeling pretty good for a man who'd just had a mild stroke.

"Sit down Missy!" He exclaimed. "How about a cold beer?"

"No thanks." I replied, sitting down at the kitchen table.

"Why not?" Frank retorted.

"Because if I have one, then you'll want one." I laughed. "And beer and medication don't mix!"

"Smart-Ass!" The man bellowed. "Everyone's wantin' to mother me!"

"I've got the purchase agreement along with the transfer of deed to the property." I stated, retrieving the documents from my attaché. "I'll leave it with you so you can have your attorneys read it over before you sign them."

"Did you read it over?" Frank inquired, scanning over the paperwork.

"Of course!" I replied. "I wanted to make sure everything was all neat and tidy."

"Give me your pen." The man proclaimed, snapping his fingers at me.

"Whoa! Wait a minute!" I exclaimed. "The least you should do is read everything before you sign!"

"Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do Missy!" Frank retorted. "I may be old but I'm not stupid. If you read them, that's good enough for me."

"Whatever." I mumbled, handing him a fountain pen.

It took a good ten minutes to get all the documents signed and sorted so we both had copies but Frank never showed any signs of reluctance to close the deal.

"Better give Miss Marlowe the keys to the business." Frank sighed, looking down at the documents in front of him.

"Why don't you keep a key for yourself, Frank?" I suggested, putting my hand over his. "I'd like you to stop by and see how things are going."

"I may just do that!" The elderly man declared with a grin. "I'd like to see how that new houseboat's coming along!"

Before leaving, I chatted awhile with Rebecca in the livingroom while Frank finished his lunch. Having her onboard with me was paramount. Her vast experience in the houseboating business was a valuable asset if I were to succeed.

I was anxious to get out to Thunder Bay, eager to set foot in my very own business. I looked forward to the challenge despite the fact that it was failing and I had a lot of work ahead of me to try and save it. If I chose to save it, that is. I still wasn't sure if it was worth saving. I might be better off liquidating the houseboats and all of Thunder Bay's assets. The real estate would hold its value, hopefully increasing in value over time. Forty acres within a mile or so of the lake was prime real estate.

I didn't expect to find the gates open when I arrived at the houseboat business. I slammed on the brakes seeing Robbie's pick-up parked in front of the overhead door. Running into my former lover was the last thing I was prepared for. Working at the complex, I knew our paths would cross daily. I just wasn't prepared for a confrontation at the moment. Still, I wasn't going to let him scare me off.

Easing up to the building, I saw Robbie inside, working on the huge houseboat that might just be the last Thunder Bay ever built. Snatching up my purse and attaché, I entered the building, avoiding eye-contact with the young man.

"I guess you wrapped up the deal." Robbie shouted, stopping me in my tracks.

"Yes. Yes, I did." I proclaimed, avoiding looking his way.

I half expected him to say something more but he didn't, going back to whatever it was he was doing. Stepping inside Frank Martin's former office, I realized I couldn't work in such a cramped and cluttered environment. The room also wreaked of cigar odor, which didn't help matters any.

With six new houseboats sitting perched outside and power readily available on each one, I decided to set up my office aboard one of them. I chose a ninety by twenty foot houseboat, resting on concrete stanchions, sitting along the front of the building.

Tossing my belongings on the gray leather sofa in the main salon, I set up my laptop computer, hoping my wireless internet service would make connection. As luck would have it, I made the connection rather quickly. I wanted to check my emails and review the latest news at Centennial Bank. I spent nearly an hour at the computer before logging off.

There were no sounds coming from the interior of the building so I decided to investigate. I didn't see Rob anywhere so I kept looking for him. Noticing droplets of fresh blood on the floor, I followed their path to the restroom next to Frank's old office. Robbie was standing at the sink, running cold water over his left hand. He was bleeding profusely from a long jagged cut across the palm of his hand.

"Oh God, what happened?" I exclaimed, rushing towards him.

"Nothing! Nothing happened!" Robbie snarled, glaring at me. "Just stay the hell away from me!"

I hesitated for a moment, then rushed to his aid. The cut wasn't deep but the bleeding looked like it wasn't about to stop.

"Squeeze the skin together!" I commanded, pulling several paper towels from the dispenser on the wall.

Robbie didn't argue with me, instead following my orders. I put the paper towels over the cut, pressing his right hand down on them.

"There's some ice in that old refrigerator out in the shop." Robbie stated, motioning with his head.

I ran out, finding two bags in the freezer compartment. Returning to the restroom, I saw the bleeding had slowed but hadn't stopped. Applying fresh paper towels and then the bag of ice to his hand, I hoped I could get the bleeding stopped.

"What happened?" I inquired. "How'd you cut yourself?"

"Ahhh. I was cutting a piece of tubing with the sawzall. It jumped out of the cut and caught my hand." The young man grumbled. "God Damn Saw!

Robbie's anger was only making his heart beat faster and that wasn't helping stop the bleeding. I held the ice to his hand, knowing it had to be painful. But it couldn't be helped. He'd just have to suffer until his hand adjusted to the cold.

"I better get you to the hospital." I muttered. "Someone needs to look at your hand."

"NO! NO WAY!" Rob shouted, trying to pull his hand free of my grasp. "I'm not going to any damn hospital!"

Knowing it was futile to argue the point, I kept applying pressure to his hand until the bleeding finally stopped. Holding his hand tightly, I examined the cut for any particles of metal that might be embedded in the skin. Thankfully, I didn't see any.

"Is there a first aid kit around?" I asked. "I need to put a bandage on it."

"In that locker behind you." Rob answered. "There's about anything you need in it."

Finding a disinfectant rinse, I poured it slowly over the cut. Robbie flinched when the astringent started burning but it soon subsided. After placing a clean gauze over the cut, I wrapped it with an ace bandage to hold it in place.

"Just needs a bow!" I laughed, glancing up at his face.

"Thanks." The young man mumbled, brushing past me to return to the shop area.

"You're welcome Asshole." I muttered.

Rob made a feeble attempt to pick up the saw and finish the cut he was attempting to make but I pulled the plug on the power tool.

"Why don't you call it a day?" I suggested, holding the plug in my hand. "In fact, why don't you take a couple of days off? Give your hand a chance to heel."

Rob stood there, looking at me like he wasn't sure what to do. I sensed his hand was hurting but he wasn't about to let me know it. Looking at his hand was just a stalling tactic while he tried to figure out what to do next.

"What're you gonna do?" He inquired. "You gonna be here for awhile?"

"Yeah. I've got a lot of work to get started on." I replied. "I've got to put a plan together and figure out how I'm going to unload all these houseboats."

"Mind if I stick around?" He asked rather sheepishly. "Just to keep you company."

"I don't care." I answered. "Just don't start an argument. Ok?"

Robbie nodded his head, waiting for me to lead the way back to the houseboat. I had reservations about letting him hang around but I didn't want to run him off either.

While I worked on the computer, Robbie laid out on the front deck of the houseboat, keeping his hand elevated by propping it against one of the deck chairs. I kept an eye on him, just in case his hand started bleeding again. He'd fallen asleep so he wouldn't be aware if it did.

It was growing dark when I finally called it a day. Robbie was just waking up from his extended nap. His hand was throbbing so I gave him a couple of aspirins even though I doubted they'd help much.

"How about I run into town and get us something to eat?" I suggested, feeling pangs of hunger. "I can pick up some more bandages for your hand while I'm out."

Robbie muttered something incoherently and nodded his head. I sensed he wasn't feeling all that well.