Tipping Point Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Stan, there's something you need to know about," she began nervously. "I've got a boyfriend. His name is Curtis, and he's a mechanic ... an automotive mechanic. He's moving to Denver to be near his mom. She's sick, and his dad died some years ago. He feels like he needs to be there if anything happens.

"Anyway ... he asked me to go with him. I think he wants to ask me to marry him, but I haven't pushed him. I need to make up my mind about this job. It's too good to give up, so ... I was wondering ... uhhm ... if I could still work for you and live in Denver," she rushed out.

I didn't answer her right away. I thought it was interesting that she had a boyfriend and might get married in the near future. I hadn't considered that when I interviewed her. I guess I was assuming that since she wasn't a real beauty that I wouldn't have to worry about something like this. I kicked myself for being so narrow-minded.

"Dody ... let me think about it for a bit. You're doing a fine job, and I'm fully confident in you, so my instinct is to think only about the travel and time issues. How about I give you an answer this weekend before you're off again? I won't let you wait too long, I promise."

"Thanks, Stan. I really hope we can make it work. Curtis and I worked together at Dad's shop and ... well ... I guess we fell in love along the way."

"I understand. I'll try and think of ways that we can make it work, I promise," I smiled.

With that we parted for the weekend, our plans for the next two weeks now loaded on our laptops. I went home to my apartment, opened a beer and sat at the kitchen table, thinking about Dody's request. It dawned on me that the answer to her need was the answer to my own.

The only thing that bound us to Cincinnati was history. It's where I started and where I had been living for the last thirty years. We could live almost anywhere that had access to a major airport. If Dody was in Denver, and I was in ... say ... Charlotte, it would be easy to see how we could divide up the territory.

The negative was that I would be moving away from Tommy and Jilly and my other friends and acquaintances. I decided to shelve my concerns about my own situation and concentrate on Dody's. What would be the plusses and minuses of her moving to Denver?

She was still young and inexperienced. She was progressing at a rapid rate, but there was still a lot for her to learn. Perhaps the best thing for her might be to finish out the year here and move in the new year. She would be better prepared then ... and for that matter, so would I. I didn't think asking her to wait four more months would be too big an obstacle for her. I was pretty sure she would agree.

Her maturity was never in question. She handled herself with the customers like a seasoned veteran. She was polite, a good listener, patient in difficult situations, both with clients and equipment, and most impressive, she was very dedicated in doing a quality job in a professional manner. For some one of her age, I thought that was remarkable. I had been very, very lucky to find her.

When I called her on Saturday afternoon and proposed the compromise, she was pleased and accepted the delay immediately. Problem one solved. Problem two ... what about Sue and me?

My obstacles were a little more difficult to resolve. I had a son living in my apartment. Could he take over the lease? I could help financially now, so that problem could be handled. But what about my banking, accounting, and business stationery? All of that would have to change. Hell, Copely Services was less than a year old. What kind of confusion was I going to create? I thought I'd better get some advice.

I had a couple of open days the following week, and I made an appointment with my bank manager, Seth Fielder.

"The way your business is growing, I'd have thought you were running a dot-com enterprise in the nineties," Seth laughed. "The growth is remarkable, but I'm happy to say, not out of control. I guess that's one advantage of being a service industry. No inventory!"

"Yeah, although the airlines, hotel, and rental car outfits all get my money before the fact. So far, I don't have any bad receivables, so somewhere between thirty and sixty days, I'm getting paid. Now that I'm established, the cash flow is more consistent. My accountant is happy, anyway.

"The reason I wanted to see you today was about a personal issue, Seth. I'd rather this didn't go outside the office just yet. It's just the germ of an idea so far. I'm thinking of two things. First, I may move to Charlotte. I've got a lady friend, and it's getting fairly serious. She's a production manager in a big plant and she's just getting started. I couldn't ask her to move. I would hate to have to start all over again developing a relationship with a good bank, the way we have here. What do you suggest?"

Seth sat, clearly mulling over the options. After a few moments, he said, "I don't really see any need to change much at all. We have branches all over the U.S., and you can make your deposits in any one of them. As far as the other services we provide, we can still do those things by phone, e-mail, ATM, whatever. I would like to see you in person a couple of times a year. I like backing winners, so it would be good for my ego," he chuckled. "Other than that, it would be business as usual."

I was relieved. "I'm also having my only employee move to Denver in the new year. I assume the same services can be provided there?"

"Absolutely." Seth was looking very pleased with himself. "You said there were two things you wanted to discuss."

"Yeah. A friend of mine in the same business is thinking of retiring soon. He may want to sell his business, and I've asked for an opportunity to discuss buying it from him. Obviously, that would require a loan, so I wanted to talk to you about it before I got too carried away."

"What does he have in the way of assets? A building, vehicles, inventory, manpower?"

"No ... just himself and three contractors who work for him. Same situation that I'm in, except he's been in it a lot longer. I have no idea what a business like that would be worth. How would I go about figuring that out?"

Seth smiled, "Once again, your friendly, neighborhood banker can help you out. We have access to professional appraisers who do just that. You're right, you will need a loan, but first you need to find out just how much he wants or thinks the business is worth. If he over-values it, an appraiser can bring him down to earth fairly quickly. But you only call them in to arbitrate if the seller's expectations are unrealistic. Follow me?"

"Yeah. Got it. So for now, I'll just wait to see when he decides to put the business up, and I'll contact you then. Okay?"

We shook hands and I left feeling like I had a more secure vision about the immediate future. That left only one other problem to resolve. What to do about the workload.

Tommy and Jilly's twenty-first birthday party had come and gone. They were both born in July, only a few days apart, so the Foresters, Sylvia, and I got together to plan a nice party for them. The weather co-operated and we had a great lawn party that lasted well past ten. Sylvia was there alone, as was I, and we sat and talked for a while. I think I was well past the anger and frustration of her behavior now. We could co-exist in our son's life without conflict, and I was grateful for that.

In September, my accounting firm confirmed that my financial status would support another employee, and I set about looking for another Dody. I wasn't sure I'd ever find another gem like her, but I would try. I interviewed haphazardly as time would allow, but didn't find anyone I was confident could fill the role. The problem was resolved in a strange, if not tragic set of circumstances.

Dody was looking quite miserable one Friday as she entered my apartment. "What's up, girl? You look pretty down."

She was near tears. "Curtis's mom died last night. He's gone to Denver for the funeral. I guess that means we don't have to move. He'd rather live here with me and his other friends, now that his mom is gone."

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Dody. I'm sure Curtis will be very sad to lose his mother. Does he have any grandparents still alive?"

"Yes. His dad's parents live in Columbus, and I think he said his mom's father lived in Arizona. So ... there's no one close by except ... me," she said quietly.

"Well, I think that's going to be pretty important to him ... that you're here for him."

She nodded. "Yeah. I'll look after him."

We talked about our schedule, as we always did and afterwards, shared a beer and some idle chit chat. I mentioned the trouble I was having finding another person of her quality, and that brightened her up considerably. She enjoyed being told she was appreciated. I wondered if it had been something missing in her young life. None of my business I suppose.

"You know, I might know of someone who you might want to talk to," she said after some more small talk.

"Are they as good as you?" I kidded.

"Of course not. I'm one of a kind," she laughed. "Seriously though, Curtis could do that job. I mean, he could learn it. He's really sharp, and I think he's a bit envious about my job. He keeps asking me about it. Would it be okay if I took him with me on a couple of calls so he could see what the job was all about? He'd pay his own way, of course."

I thought about it. A husband and wife team? Interesting concept. Except ... they weren't married yet. Hmmm. "Just let me know where you want to take him. That way I can warn you if there are any sensitivities with particular customers."

"Fine. I don't think it will be right away. He's on leave from the dealer right now, but this might just brighten him up. I have a feeling he'll jump at the chance if it's offered."

I had never met Curtis and I would have to rectify that. In the meantime, I could talk to Dody's father and get an opinion on the young man. A qualified automotive mechanic would have the necessary skills, but likely would have little experience dealing with the public or working on the type of equipment our clients featured. Still, it was a better lead than I'd had so far. I called Doug Whitmarsh and arranged to meet him after work.

"He's a nice young guy, Stan. I'm not just saying that because he's dating my daughter. He's a good mechanic, always on time, and works well with others. Whether he'd make a good service technician for you ... I don't know. But he's certainly worth a look."

"Well, Dody thinks he's up to it, and I trust her judgment, so I'll probably give him a chance, if that's what he wants to do. Dody never left me any doubt that she wanted that job in the worst way. I can only hope that Curtis is just as enthusiastic, and not just envious of her."

"I never thanked you properly for giving Dody that job. She's a changed girl ... woman. I gather she's good at it, too."

"She's outstanding at it. It's going to be almost impossible to find anyone who can measure up to her. I can see her owning a business like this some day," I grinned.

Doug was shaking his head. "I never would have guessed. I guess I didn't really pay much attention to her, even though I knew she was pretty handy with fixing things around the house. Shows you how you can overlook something right in your own home. I know her mother is very, very proud of her."

"She's a gem. I think she might like to hear it from you too. She's pretty proud of her father and mother as well, from what she's told me."

He smiled ruefully, "Yeah, that's something I need to do ... besides having someone kick my ass for not doing it sooner."

"Well, I've never raised a daughter, so I can't say anything, but yours is one fine young lady. You should be proud."

"Thanks," he nodded as we touched glasses.

The issue with Dody potentially moving, and now the possibility of having Curtis join our group, helped clear my mind about my relationship with Sue. I wasn't scheduled to be in Charlotte until November, just before Thanksgiving, but I thought it couldn't wait any longer. I needed to resolve my ... our ... future.

"Hi, Sue. Can you stand a house guest this weekend?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course, Stan. What brings you to Charlotte? I didn't think I'd see you until Thanksgiving ... not that I'm complaining," she chuckled.

"Oh ... let's just call it a bonus weekend for us. Are you all right with that?"

"Hell, yes! When are you arriving?"

"Friday afternoon. I'll let you know what flight."

"Oh, Stan, that's great. I'll pick you up, as usual. It'll be great to see you again."

I made my flight reservation, happy that I could see her so quickly. I wasn't sure of just what I wanted to say or do, but I knew it was now or never if we were going to make a commitment to each other. I'd rather know now, even if it wasn't in my favor.

It was stupid of me to rush this meeting, I know, but I knew I wouldn't have a clearer head any time soon. I was certain of my love for Sue, but uncertain that she felt just the way that I did. There were positive signals, but was that enough? I had to suck it up and take my chance. It wasn't going to be easy, but I wasn't leaving Charlotte without an answer ... one way or the other.

Sue met me at the airport with her usual enthusiasm; a big, smacking kiss, her arms wrapped tightly around me, and her pelvis jammed tightly into my crotch. It was quite a public display, but nothing she hadn't done before.

"Hello, lover. How's my man? It's so good to see you again." Her words and actions gave me confidence. Maybe she was more certain than I thought. I hoped so. There was something else, though. Something different about her. It took me a moment to recognize it.

"Sue ... you've lost weight. Are you all right?" I asked, worried momentarily.

"Yeah ... I'm all right. And yes, I've lost weight. I'll tell you all about it, but not right now. It's nothing to worry about, though."

I breathed an inward sigh of relief. She looked even more beautiful to me than she did before. She hadn't lost her voluptuous shape. In fact, her slimmed down body had accentuated her breasts and hips. She was even sexier than before.

We chatted about nothing in particular on the drive to her house. We had been talking every week at least once in the past months, and we knew almost everything there was to know that was going on in our lives. It felt sometimes like we were already married, except for the separation. We were completely comfortable in each other's company.

We stopped at a pizzeria on the way and picked up one of our favorites; a medium Sicilian. A tossed salad and a glass of wine would be all the preparation we would need to make. Sue had one less slice than she normally would, and put the two remaining pieces in the fridge for a later snack. We took our wine glasses to the living room and sat together on the sofa.

"Okay, Stan. Tell me why you suddenly needed to be in Charlotte," she quizzed with a slight smile.

I let my breath out, if only to try and calm myself, and put my glass of wine on the coffee table. I was searching for a way to start, but in the end, I just plunged forward.

"I love you, Sue. I know that for sure ... and I want to marry you." There, it was out in the open. No going back now.

She sat there, looking at me, not reacting right away. I saw her blink a couple of times, and then ... silent tears. She was nodding, but not saying anything. What did that mean?"

She snorted back a sob, her hands going to her eyes, wiping away the tears that still fell. I wondered if she was ever going to say something. Anything! When she did, I hoped I was ready for it.

"I ... I love you too, Stan. I think I've loved you for years ... even when you were married and I ... I couldn't have you. You've always been the man I compared the others to. The ones who could never match up and meet the standard that I set for them. I never thought I'd see the day when you would be free. I used to dream of you asking me to marry you. It was my fantasy. And now ... now it's happened. I can't quite get my mind to accept it."

I breathed a deep sigh of relief. I think I had a "yes." I couldn't stop from smiling as I gazed at her, wiping her eyes and trying to smile as well.

"I'll bet you have a hundred questions, but for now ... if you're telling me you will, let's just leave it at that. I want to make love to you, and then we'll sleep on it. There'll be plenty of time to talk in the morning," I said softly.

She nodded, still trying to get hold of her emotions. I hadn't really understood just how deep her feelings for me ran. It wasn't something that I was expecting, but it was plain that she felt deeply about me. I stood, held out my hand to her, and she took it, now smiling genuinely, without any hesitation.

Sue seldom slept naked, but that night was an exception. I had a chance to admire her new "look," and I thought she looked even more beautiful than ever. I guessed that she had been exercising, because I could see some muscle definition that wasn't there before. It certainly didn't detract from her femininity, however.

There was nothing frantic or celebratory about our joining. It was a calm and emotional moment as I gently took her, slowly bringing her with me on our wave of passion. We were silent except for the liquid sounds of my erection dipping rhythmically into her. I was lost in the moment, thinking this was something I had never known before; not with Sylvia, not with anyone. Sue's eyes were open, but only just. She wore a fixed slight smile as we made love. This was contentment for us both. It was our beginning. The past was gone, along with the bad memories.

I awoke just before 6am that Saturday morning. Sue was sound asleep, her arm draped across my side, lightly gripping my thigh. I lay there for a while, enjoying every second of this perfect new day. Her scent, her softness, her breasts pressed lightly into my back. I reached back and gently squeezed her bottom, slightly surprised at its firmness.

When she didn't stir, I carefully got out of bed and slipped on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt from my travel bag. I closed the door behind me as I made my way silently toward the kitchen. A glass of orange juice and a banana was my normal start to the day, and Sue had them for me. I picked up the newspaper from the front porch and returned to the kitchen table. A while later, I rose again and made a pot of coffee. There had still been no sound from the bedroom.

I thought I would make breakfast for us on this "first day" of our new life. I was full of energy, wondering just what I could do to make Sue even happier than she already was. Before falling asleep last night, she told me just how happy she was that we would be together forever. I didn't doubt that she meant every word.

I was in the middle of mixing the eggs, peppers, chives, and cheese when I felt a pair of arms encircle my waist and pull me into a lush, warm body. Sue's head was tucked into my shoulder, and I could smell her hair ... a hint of shampoo mixed with that wonderful female scent she exuded. I put down the bowl and turned to her.

"Good morning, my love," I said softly.

"Hmmmm ... g'morning," she mumbled, her face now buried in my chest. It was a still-sleepy Sue that embraced me in that kitchen.

"Can I get you some coffee ... or some juice?" I asked.

"Hmmmm ... shower," she said, lifting her head to smile at me. "Breakfast can wait," she announced as she took my hand and led me back to the bedroom.

Her new house had only one bathtub, and that was in the main bathroom. At some point, the previous owners had removed the tub from the ensuite and installed a five-foot shower stall, beautifully tiled. Sue shrugged her robe from her shoulders, unabashedly naked before me as she turned on the shower. It wasn't too difficult for me to remove my shorts and t-shirt, and in a matter moments, we were holding each other as the warm water cascaded down upon us.