To Be The Last Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Shaking himself out of his grim thoughts, Blake smiled again at the secretary who was looking over her shoulder once more. After passing the cubicles they walked to the back of the office and stopped in front of a large wooden door. Blake read the shiny golden plaque screwed on the door. Alexia Whitt.

.........................................................................................

Ten minutes later Clara came bouncing into Alex's office again.

"Don't you ever work?" Alex asked.

"Of course I do!" Clara feigned being insulted. "Just came to tell you about the hottest piece of-" Clara cut off as Megan Brynna walked into the room.

"And this, Mr. Xander, is Ms. Alexia Whitt."

Alex stared in shock at the man in front of her. He walked towards her with a big smile on his face.

"I've already had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Whitt."

Clara's face flew to Alex with widened eyes. 'Him?' Clara mouthed. Alex nodded slightly and smiled. She rose in her chair to return Blake's handshake.

"Though we didn't have time for names at the moment. I'm Blake Xander. Pleased to meet you."

Alex returned his firm handshake, thinking how large and warm his hand was. His hand was rough and Alex for a second thought about his masculine hand touching other parts of her body and-Alex mentally slapped herself.

"Mr. Xander, nice to meet you too. I'm Alexia Whitt."

"A pleasure."

Alex looked down at her hand and back at Blake. Realizing he had been holding her had for far too long, Blake quickly released it.

"Alexia, Mr. Xander's is going to be the new coordinating director of this sector."

Alex's face snapped to Megan Brynna.

"I thought Mr. Jacob Reeves of the first technology sector was going to take the job."

Megan Brynna looked about, irritated that she was being questioned. "Mr. Reeves turned the position down. He said he is quite content where he is."

"I'm sorry, I was just unaware of the change."

"Mr. Xander came to us with excellent references."

"I see," was Alex's dubious reply. Mr. Xander must have a lot of influence to just walk into the building and claim such a position. Alex had been working for the company for five years to get to second director.

After an awkward silence, Megan Brynna spoke up again. "Well Mr. Xander, your office will be besides Ms. Whitt's. If you need any help at all, you'll know where to find me." Megan Brynna added seductively.

Clara and Alex made eye contact and pinched one another to prevent themselves from laughing out loud.

"I'm sure if I need help, Ms. Whitt can help me."

Megan Brynna look offended as she glanced in Alex's direction before finally leaving.

Blake smiled warmly at the two women. Just his luck he was sent to on a very important mission and two sirens get thrown in his path. Clara he wouldn't touch in a million years. She was much too independent for his tastes. But Alexia. He wasn't too sure about her. Alex looked at the smile on Blake's face and the intense look he was giving Clara. Suddenly Alex began to feel like she should give them some privacy.

"Yes, Mr. Xanders, this is my assistant, Clara Kentwood."

Alex looked from Blake to Clara and inwardly sighed. Of course the two most gorgeous people in the building would have to meet. Now Alex would be lucky not to stumble on them sneaking around. Alex could endure hearing about Clara's sexual exploits, she even found them amusing, but she never expected herself being a possible witness.

"I'm going to go get a cup of coffee." Alex left, hoping by the time she got back they had exchanged numbers and agreed to meet after hours. She even did them a favor and closed the door.

......................

"What are you doing here Blake? I thought you were working on another case." Clara asked monotonously.

"Dane assigned me here."

"Why? I'm already covering this case."

"I don't ask questions. I just follow orders."

Clara shrugged. Blake was always reserved. In the three years she had known him, she knew just about as much as she did three years ago. Nothing.

"So what's the deal with your boss?"

"She's a late-forty, sex-crazed bitch who thinks everyone is after her soggy ass and crusty-"

Blake cut her off. "I was talking about Ms. Whitt."

"Oh! I though you were talking about Mega Bitch, Megan Brynna. Alex is a wonderful girl. A bit aloof. She likes to keep her business and personal life separate. Never talks about her family or personal life, but she's really adorable." Clara eyed Blake suspiciously. "Stop. No. Don't even think about it. Alex doesn't have flings. She's also about six years younger than the both of us and much too innocent for the jaded you."

Blake contemplated what Clara said and nodded. After talking about the weather, they both worked for a bit. Alex came back with three steaming cups from the Starbucks downstairs.

"You looked like a mocha with whipped cream kind of guy. So here you go." Alex handed Blake a venti cup, her big smile fading a little. "Sorry. Was I wrong? I can go get you something else."

"No this is fine," Blake assured Alex. "You actually guessed perfectly."

Alex smiled once again before turning to Clara. "And here is your venti non-fat soy latte."

Blake looked over at Alex and asked what she got. Alex looked away embarrassed and Clara answered. "She got hot chocolate."

"I don't like coffee too much." Alex admitted taking a sip of her hot chocolate.

Blake remained silent as he studied the interesting woman in front of him. Clara exclaimed guilty that she had to return to her duties and breezed out the door. Thanking Alex for the coffee, Blake pulled placed the drink on the nearest counter and pulled out his wallet.

"Please, let me pay you back."

Alex laughed lightly as she shook her head 'no.'

"Let's just think of it as a thank you and apology gift. Thank you for returning my shoe and sorry for the rude way I treated you," Alex finished firmly, leaving no room for debate.

Thanking Alex for the coffee, Blake headed back to his office next door. She followed Blake and offered to help him unpack.

"It's okay. I can do it myself. Really Ms. Whitt, I can do it myself. In fact, I enjoy doing it myself."

Having no reason to dally, Alex nodded her head and exited.

............................

By the end of the week, all the women were in love with Blake. By the time Alex had brought him around and introduced him to the workers, many of the women were all too eager to offer assistance with anything Blake would possibly need. Most of the men didn't understand why the women were helping Blake so often. The men believed that attention should be given to those who deserved it, not to those who had the nicest looking asses. The women retaliated by calling the men hypocrites because they'd break their legs to do something for Clara or Alex.

Blake had been working for four weeks now and the men had slowly begun to accept Blake. They appreciated and admired his innovative genius that improved production and the quality of research greatly.

During the past month, Blake had grown to find Alex's presence enjoyable and took pleasure in discussing business matters with her. He really enjoyed finding her in his office early in the morning, leaving coffee on his desk. When he had insisted to reimburse Alex, she laughed and told him not to worry about it; she was using the company's money she added. She was very intelligent and articulated her ideas effectively. She was well liked among the men and women. Throughout the day Blake found himself making excuses to visit Alex and talk to her. She never seemed irritated or bothered to help.

Blake was on his way out as he glanced over at Alex's office. Her blinds were open as they usually were and she was scribbling furiously at a piece of paper in front of her. Alex pulled her clip out of her hair and let her locks cascade down her back. She ran a hand through her hair and sighed. Pulling out a case from her desk Alex took out her contacts and threw them in the trash and put on her glasses. She piled her hair to a messy bun on her head and clipped it. When she looked up she gasped as she saw Blake watching her. She put a hand to her heart and laughed. She motioned for Blake to join her. Opening the door, Blake stuck his head inside.

"Didn't mean to scare you. It's almost 8, aren't you going to leave soon?"

Alex managed a smiled despite her sore body. "In just a bit. I'm trying to figure this problem out."

"What is it? Maybe I can help."

"It's a Number Place game," Alex said solemnly. She burst into peals of laughter when she saw Blake's ludicrous expression. "Your face was hilarious. I'm kidding. But mark my words, one day this game is going to be played by everyone. Anyways, this is just a problem with the new computer chip. Nothing I can't handle. I'm on my way out, what about you?"

"I was about to leave too."

A smile spread across his handsome face and Alex almost sighed with delight. She caught herself before that happened. Alex told herself that if he were to ask for help she'd turn him to Clara or one of the other women more than happy to help him. But she anticipated the knocks on her door and Blake popping in his head and shyly asking for help. She was overjoyed that she could assist him and dropped whatever she had been doing to lend a hand. Where was her resolve?

Alex walked around her desk and began to turn everything off so she could get ready to leave. Blake admired how sexy she could appear in a crème-colored skirt, un-tucked white collared shirt and bare feet. She had rolled up the sleeves to her elbows and wisps of hair escaped her hideous chignon and fell over her shoulders. She turned to gaze at Blake as an errant lock of hair fell in her eyes and she tried to blow it out of the way. Unsuccessful, she pushed the lock of hair away with her hands and proceeded to her desk.

"Do you need help finding something?"

Alex let out a huge sigh. "No. Just closing everything down so I can leave."

Alex unrolled her sleeves, which were now wrinkled and put on her matching jacket and large coat. Grabbing her purse and slipping into her shoes, Alex glanced expectantly at Blake. Switching off the lights, Alex locked the door behind her and started her way to the elevator. They got into the elevator and both remained silent. Alex turned to say something just as Blake opened his mouth to talk. They both closed their mouths and waited for the other to say something. Neither did. Blake opened his mouth then quickly closed it when he saw Alex about to say something. Instead Alex yawned and smiled bashfully at Blake.

"Ms. Whitt."

"Yes?" Alex asked enthusiastically.

"Never mind."

Alex let out a disappointed 'oh' and went back to observing her hands. Blake turned towards Alex and the elevator door opened with a 'bing'.

They stood outside the building not wanting to leave one another's company. Blake couldn't believe he was feeling nervous. He glanced over at Alex who was grasping her large coat close to keep warm.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye until Monday, Mr. Xander."

"Please call me Blake."

Alex thought for a moment before saying his name, "Blake. And I'd appreciate it if you called me Alexia."

"I guess I'll see you on Monday...Alexia."

They both turned and began walking in opposite directions. Suddenly Alex turned around and called after Blake.

"Um...Blake, Clara and I were supposed to go to a play tomorrow night, but she cancelled on me. I was planning on skipping since I didn't have a date, but if you're not doing anything tomorrow, would you like to go with me? I know its short notice and all and you probably already have plans...sorry, never mind, forget I asked. I didn't want the tickets to go to waste. Come to think of it, I'll just ask Jesse to go with me. Well, goodnight."

Alex strode away quickly as she cursed herself. Before she got too far she was spun around and looking into very green eyes.

"I'm sorry, was that an invitation or not?" Blake asked with a smile.

"It was an invitation, but if you can't go I-"

"I didn't say I couldn't go. I'd love to go with you. What time is the play?"

"It starts at seven-thirty pm. and probably won't end until around ten."

"Can I pick you up at five? Then we can eat dinner first."

Alex nodded. It was starting to sound like a date, "Five is fine. I live at the Upper West Side of Manhattan on 1 Central Park West at the Trump International. There's a really good French cuisine restaurant there."

"Jean Georges? I've eaten at Jo Jo and Mercer Kitchen, I love the food. Alright then, I'll pick you up five."

"Okay, see you at five." Alex tried to say without sounding too happy. "You have my number right?"

"Yes. Clara gave it to me a couple days after I started working. She told me it was just in case there was an emergency and I needed to contact you. Do you have my number?"

Alex blushed. "Yes, uh, Clara gave it to me a couple says after you started working too. She told me the same thing," Alex slightly lied. She had seen a piece of paper on Clara's desk that had a number and Blake's name on it. For some reason Alex had memorized the number.

12