To Be The Last Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
aaddicted
aaddicted
311 Followers

"I must have the wrong table. So sorry. I was looking for my friend, Mr. Kaleb Jensen. And you are certainly not him." Alex went to stand when the ruggedly handsome man placed his hand over hers and asked her to stay seated.

The moment she spoke, Kaleb knew who she was. Just his luck she was beautiful. "Miss Whitt. Please, sit. I don't know why you would suggest I'm not Kaleb Jensen, because last time I checked I certainly am Kaleb Jensen."

"But you're so young!" Alex cried softly. "I was expecting someone much older..."

"I can assure you that I'm very capable in doing my job. I was recruited into the CIA before I had to quit due to family obligations." Kaleb did his best to look at her eyes and not check her out.

Alex moistened her lips. Since becoming pregnant, Alex had noticed many changes taking place. Like how her lips were always chapped and how she craved fresh fruits and not to mention always being emotional and extremely horny. "How old are you anyways?"

"I don't see how this is relevant to the case considering I've already found Mr. Xander, but since you asked, I'm thirty-four, soon to be thirty-five. And might I ask how old you are?"

Narrowing her eyes at his tone, Alex told herself to calm down before she answered. "I just made twenty-eight."

"Congratulations. Now may we get to business? I've located Blake Xander. He is being held here in the basement of a historical building in the French Quarter. As far as I can tell, there isn't much security. Just an older man accompanied by four big guys I'm assuming are his bodyguards. Two men stay at the building and another two men who accompany the older man wherever he goes. They pretty much work on a set schedule. I have the schedule right here." He handed her a paper. "And my job is done. Thank you for your business." Kaleb got up to leave. "So like I told you over the phone. This meeting is a waste of time."

"You're not going to get him back?" Alex looked at him with sad eyes. "But I thought..." Her small voice trailed off.

"Geeze lady. I know you paid me a lot to find this guy and I admit he was hard to find. But I'm an investigator, not a rescue squad." Kaleb took out his wallet to leave a tip.

Alex also stood and followed him, gathering the papers he handed to her. She followed him outside.

"What if I pay you more? Could you get him back for me?"

Kaleb looked down at her pregnant stomach, just noticing the bump then up to her beautiful face. "Sorry, but what's money if I'm dead? Blake Xander doesn't mean diddly to me but a paycheck." He began to walk off.

"Then I'll just have to get him back myself." Alex announced, hoping to get his attention.

Kaleb stopped and sighed heavily. He turned around and faced Alexia as she tried to hide her hopeful expression. "That wouldn't be so smart. I don't know how important a man is that you'd sacrifice the life of your unborn child to get him. But that's pretty bad parenting skills if you ask me." He turned away from her again and began down the street.

Alex gasped in indignation as she chased after Kaleb. "How dare you say that me! You don't know anything about me!"

Kaleb kept walking, noticing she stopped chasing after him. Curiosity won out and he glanced behind him to see her sitting down by the curbside. He told himself to keep walking, but he couldn't. Heaving a sigh, Kaleb made his way to the crying woman.

Tears blurred her vision as Alex sniffled. There was a napkin in her face and she took it with a watery thank you as Kaleb took a seat beside her.

"Look. If I get this guy back for you...I want double pay and you're not interfering understood? You're going to sit in your rented room and wait until you hear from me."

Alex nodded quickly. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, I need a freaking smoke." Kaleb mumbled as he stood and hailed a cab for Alexia.

"What was that?" Alex inquired as he ushered her into the cab.

"Nothing. Just don't get involved and things should go smoothly." He closed the door on Alex as she was shouting her heart-felt thank yous.

---

When Alexia reached her temporary home for the next week or so, she was exhausted. Luckily the place was just outside the French Quarter, quite a walk from the historical landmark that Blake was said to be under. So Alex wasn't too tempted to go out for a brisk walk. The lights in the building were already on and Matthew was waiting for Alex at the front door. And he didn't look so happy.

Alex assumed he was still angry about her little fit at the airport. She tried to squeeze pass him to get inside, which might have been possible if she wasn't pregnant. But he stood there stubbornly with a dark look.

"Matthew! Move!" Alex ordered, annoyed since it was way pass when she usually went to bed after getting pregnant. "I'm tired and I want to take a bath before bed."

"Oh no, my dear. We are going to have a long talk about your friend PI Kaleb Jensen before I allow you to get to your bath."

"You followed me?" Alex asked, fear boiling in her empty stomach. "Did you tell my grandfather?"

Matt moved out of the way and instructed Alex to sit in the living room. "And I suggest you get comfortable because this is going to be awhile."

After Alex took a seat, she waited for Matt to pace a couple dozen times before turning to her, again composed.

"I bugged you." Matthew replied calmly.

"You had no right!" Alex quickly began to search herself until Matthew snatched her bag and pulled out a small, inconspicuous device and held it up to her.

Alexia grabbed the tiny mic and smashed it to the floor then stomped on the broken mic a good measure. The look Matthew gave her was mixed with mild amusement and surprise...possibly horror. It was apparent that he found her behavior shocking as well as bordering insanity.

"I didn't tell your grandfather. And I'm not going to tell him right now, because it's two in the morning in England."

"Wait! Matthew, please. Remember when I was twelve and Leo was killed? You promised me that I could ask anything of you. Remember that promise?"

"Vaguely." Was his answering, already knowing where the conversation was headed.

"I don't want you to tell my grandfather. Please help Mr. Jensen get back Blake."

"Impossible." The answer was said as easily as declining a rapist murderer to be dropped of all charges and said with as much meaning.

"Why is it impossible? You're going to break your promise to me?" Alex pushed.

"I cannot assist Mr. Kaleb Jensen because then you would be left unguarded and I will not allow you to come into harm for Blake Xander's sake."

Alex wanted to shout at his soft spoken explanation. She hated how much like her grandfather Matthew was. He always appeared so unfeeling. Then an idea struck her.

"How about Mr. Jensen stays here with me and you go get Blake? I'm certain you'd be a deal more efficient." Alex suggested hopefully.

If Matthew wasn't so annoyed with her, he would have laughed. "Also impossible. You think I'm going to entrust a man I have never heard of until tonight with yours and your baby's life?"

Alex made a dismissive gesture. "Mr. Jensen is extremely trustworthy! He's a very nice man."

Resisting the urge to roll his eyes, Matthew didn't give in. "A mercenary who offers his skills to anyone willing to pay isn't quite trustworthy. And I'm supposed to trust your judgment in men? Blake is hardly a candidate for best boyfriend of the year."

Alex scowled at Matthew. "Fine. If you're just a liar and won't keep your promise, I will just have to do this on my own."

"Mr. Jensen won't assist if you participate. At least the man has some sense in parenting."

"That is the second time my maternal skills have been insulted tonight! I will not take anymore of your ill-treatment! Leave! If you don't leave, I swear to whatever gods listening that I will kick you out myself!" Alex was on the verge of hysteria. "I'm tired and I want a bath! Now I'm craving peanut butter and pineapples! But more than that I'm horny as hell and really, really frustrated! So if you don't leave me alone right now, I am going to scream this damn house down!"

"You're doing a good job at it already." Matthew mumbled.

That was the last straw! Alexia stomped out of the living room and ran into the first available bedroom. She slammed the door several times before she finally left it shut. Grumbling across the room to her bed, Alex picked up a soft pillow and planted her face into it as she screamed at the top of her lungs. Then she sat at the edge of the bed and cried.

"Stupid hormones." She sobbed. "I'm going insane!"

All the while, Alex rubbed a hand over her belly. Then something hit her hand and Alex gasped.

"Ohmygod! Ohmygod! Matthew! Matthew!" Alex shouted.

He burst into the room with that same calm look. Realizing she was in no danger, he quirked a brow.

"Gabriel kicked me!" Alex broke out into a huge smile. Then she burst into tears again.

Unlike her grandfather, Matthew was impervious to her tears. He sat beside her on the bed as Alexia continuously rubbed her hand over her belly as she cried. Her sobs turned into pleas. Begging Matthew to save Blake.

"I can't, Alexia. I consider you family and I will not allow my family to be harmed because of one man I couldn't care less about. And if that means you'll hate me, then so be it."

"I c-could never h-hate you." Alexia hiccupped between breaths. "B-but I love h-him so m-much."

Letting out a defeated breath, Matthew gave in. "You win. I'll get him back for you. Call Mr. Jensen and have him to wait here with you while I go get Blake Xander. I'll jog down to check out the place first." He glanced at Alexia who tried to smile through her tears, but just ended up crying even harder.

With a fierce hug, Alexia cried in Matthew's arms as he mumbled complaints. By the time Alexia calmed down, she was too excited to realize it was early in the morning when she contacted Kaleb. He answered after a couple rings.

"Jensen." The sleep-tired voice answered.

"Hello Mr. Jensen. This is Alexia Whitt. I'm sorry to disrupt your sleep, but there's something I wish to speak with you about."

Kaleb squinted at the cheap alarm clock beside his bed and almost cursed. He sat up in bed and scrubbed a hand over his face. "Yes?" He demanded a bit harsher than he intended.

Alexia was quiet for a moment. "I talked to my um...bodyguard, Matthew, and here is what we want to do..."

After hanging up the phone, Alexia decided to take her bath. The warm water soothed most of Alexia's anxieties and helped Alex get some sleep. By the evening, Kaleb would be over to babysit her while Matthew went out to get Blake back.

---

Kaleb didn't know if he was babysitting Alexia or dating her. The twenty-one questions Matthew was pulling on him got annoying after the fifth question. When Matthew was finally satisfied with his interrogation he added in some mild threats that Kaleb knew well to take seriously.

"I'm glad he's finally gone." Alexia said softly, breaking Kaleb out of his train of thought. "And I'm sorry he was so harsh."

Kaleb nodded. "I take it he didn't know about your rescue mission."

Alexia looked away, a bit embarrassed. Kaleb wanted to kick himself for the tug of lust he felt at the pretty picture she made. Finally she answered.

"He bugged me the night I went to meet you. Matthew was extremely angry with me. Though he rarely ever shows his emotions, there was no doubt he was upset. My grandfather keeps calling and Matthew is avoiding him because he'd be tempted to tell my grandfather what's going on. I'm talking too much." Alexia realized and quickly shut her mouth.

"Don't worry about it. You're probably really nervous. And in your condition, I'd guess even more so."

"You're right. And all this stress isn't good for the baby. I'm sorry, Mr. Jensen. I know you're just an investigator and here I am, involving you in all my problems."

"By now, you can call me Kaleb. And since I'm getting paid I have no room for complaint."

"Regardless. You could have rejected my offer. So thank you for not rejecting it, Kaleb. And please call me Alexia, or Alex."

The way she said his name made Kaleb's skin tingle. Shit, he needed to get laid. "Getting fifty grand for babysitting isn't something I could afford to reject."

Alexia rolled her eyes with a slight smile. "Do you always put yourself down?"

Kaleb felt a smile tug at his own lips. "I have trouble accepting kind words." He admitted.

"It shows." Alex teased as she got up to her feet. "Well, seeing as we're now on a first name basis, I expect you to help me cook dinner."

"You're not serious are you?" Kaleb stood and helped Alex to the kitchen even though she protested.

"Quite serious." Alexia laughed. Her smile slipped a bit as she explained. "I need to do something to keep my mind off what's happening."

Kaleb didn't reply as he gave in and looked through the grocery bags, trying to figure out what they were going to be making. With all the ingredients out, Alex started ordering Kaleb about after he washed his hands. Later Kaleb realized that he didn't mind being ordered around by Alexia Whitt.

---

Alex was restless as she awaited Blake's return. All night, Alex stayed up. She wrung her hands as the tick-tock of time taunted her. After dinner and a movie, there was nothing else Alexia could do that could have kept her mind occupied. Kaleb was seated across of her in the living room going over some of his other cases. Earlier Alex had tried to peek at the papers, but Kaleb had told her they were confidential and shooed her away. With a pout, Alex had settled across of him. Five minutes hadn't passed when Alexia started to think about Matthew and Blake.

She could hear the minutes passing so slowly in the hallway, echoing from the vintage grandfather clock in the foyer. The house was eerily quiet and Alex could hear her own heart beat rushing in her ears. The burst of the front door frightened a scream out of her.

But her momentary scare was eclipsed with the instant joy she felt as she ran from the room to the foyer. Matthew had stopped her, saying Blake was in no condition to be seen. Alex fought passed him and dropped to her knees in front of the pitiful heap and wept.

Matthew pulled her away gently as Kaleb carried the man to a room. Half an hour of waiting, and Alex was allowed in the room. She cautiously walked over to the bed and peered down at him. Having her first real look, Alex gasped.

He was covered in god knows what and smelled like the gutters. His face was hidden by a tangled beard and his hair was matted with dirt and oil. The little skin that was visible was covered in grime.

"Out." Alex choked. When no one moved, she screamed. "I said get out! Leave me with him!"

Kaleb slowly exited the room. Matthew lingered until she looked at him pleadingly and asked Matthew to give her some time with Blake.

Alex made a bowl of hot water and brought it over to Blake's bed. She dipped a cloth in the water and squeezed it out. Then she went to cleaning him, biting back sobs and tears flowed down her face.

After another half hour, Alex exited Blake's room in search of Matthew. She found him in the living room talking to Kaleb. As she approached, both men fell silent.

"I called your grandfather. Infuriated is putting it lightly. But I'm sure you already know that."

Even if she wanted to speak, Alex's throat was too sore. She nodded her head as more tears began to pool in her already swollen eyes. Matthew let out a sigh as he pulled her into a comforting hug.

"Thank you." Alex whispered brokenly.

Matthew released her and Alexia walked over to Kaleb. She looked at him from beneath her lashes, embarrassed with her emotional state. But she wanted to thank him too.

After a few sniffles, Alex finally composed herself enough to talk. "I'm in your debt. I could never express how grateful I am. Thank you, Kaleb."

Kaleb's hand quickly shot out for a shake. It was either that or giving in to the sudden urge of wanting to hold her. So Kaleb had to settle for a handshake since embracing Alexia didn't seem like such an appropriate thing to do. With a watery laugh, Alexia accepted Kaleb's hand and shook.

"Now, I'm going to have to ask for another favor. Could you two please help me put Blake in the tub? I already filled it with water."

Matthew and Kaleb followed Alexia back to the room to see that she had already stripped Blake down. He looked as though he had been starved and his body was covered in bruises and long scars. Some of the scars were puckered and red as if they had just healed while others were smooth and have obviously been there awhile.

"He slept the whole way through when you stripped him?" Kaleb asked.

"Oddly, yes. I was afraid he was dead, but there's a steady heartbeat and he's breathing fine."

"I knocked him out." Matthew answered.

"You what?" Kaleb and Alex asked at the same time.

"He was bloody delusional. Wouldn't listen to reason. The easiest way was knocking him out unconscious."

"I don't think that was necessary." Alexia began.

"Entirely necessary." It was the first time Matthew smiled that night. "He's going to wake up with a hell of a headache."

Kaleb also grinned. Alexia narrowed her eyes at the two men.

"If you two high five each other, I'm going to kick someone."

"Let's just get your boyfriend cleaned up. He smells worse than the fish market." Matthew snorted.

Kaleb and Matthew lifted Blake and deposited him in the tub. Water sloshed over the sides, already turning a dingy color. Alex took a seat by the chair she earlier placed beside the tub. She was lathering a scrub cloth when Kaleb and Matthew exited.

Scrubbing gently, Alexia bit her lip when her hand began to get lower. Too embarrassed to continue since Blake was unconscious, Alexia decided to go back to that later. She picked up her scissors and began to trim his beard before shaving him. Alexia ended up cutting chunks out of his hair.

"Ops." Alexia said guiltily as she took a step back and assessed her work. She'd have to ask Matthew to fix Blake's hair later.

Then Alexia shaved Blake's face carefully. She traced her fingers over his jaw softly and bent down to leave a kiss. Suddenly there was a hand around Alexia's throat, squeezing.

"Blake!" She gasped.

His eyes looked wild and disbelieving. When he saw Alexia, he looked furious. "What fucking game are you playing at Richardson!" He roared.

Alexia's hands went to Blake's as she tried to pry his hands away. Having heard the commotion, Matthew and Kaleb burst into the room. Alex felt Blake tense.

"You!" He growled as he noticed Matthew.

Reaching out, Alex laid a hand against Blake's cheek and brought his gaze to her. His eyes softened as Alex tried to choke something out. Realizing what he had done, Blake instantly released her, suddenly frightened by his actions.

"Alexia?" Blake asked uncertainly as he leaned towards her.

Alex coughed, trying to catch her breath as Matthew and Kaleb moved in. She reached over for Blake's hand and squeezed tightly. Blake pulled Alexia to him and she fell into the tub with a splash and a surprised scream.

"Blake what-" Alexia began, but realized that he was hugging her desperately. So she hugged him back until the embrace got crushing. "Our baby, Blake."

"Baby?" Blake was shocked as he pulled back and looked down between them at Alexia's bump. Scared shitless, Blake reached out and laid his fingers against Alexia's stomach. "You're pregnant?" He felt sick. How could he be a father? He couldn't be a good father!

"Um..." Alexia looked at Matthew and Kaleb as she rubbed her bruised neck. "I'm okay, you guys. Can you give me and Blake some time alone?" Alexia turned her attention back to Blake as his hands held her firmly to him. "I'm probably crushing you." Alexia tried to get up, but Blake wouldn't let her.

aaddicted
aaddicted
311 Followers