Transitions Ch. 02

Story Info
Daniel's torment.
5.2k words
4.83
2.8k
00

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/25/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It had been a year since Amy had been bought at auction. All the growing pains soon were resolved. Amy had a great aptitude for organization, leadership, and anything tech it seemed. 'His Lordship' integrated her into his operations; she relieved stress from his business. She moved to custom-made program applications to keep up the growing empire of 'His Lordship'.

Amy oversaw two start-up companies on the other side on the transition wall. She was a hard boss. She was a big believer that she didn't need to repeat a question. It was a given that direct service to her Lord or Lady took precedence over business, many times meetings were halted so she could help one of them.

She ordered everyone was to attend the meetings and they were all recorded. They went over even the smallest problem. The recording was then available for review and the others could give clarity to the message.

'Her Ladyship' put her foot down about family time. At mealtime, stacks of mobile devices were sitting on the kitchen table waiting for their owners to pick them up after the meal. On family outings, of which there were many, only Amy could bring her personal phone, but it must be turned off. This was more for emergencies than anything else.

The lady's maid had grown quite close to Amy; she and a few other servants were always included in the family outings.

'His Lordship' made up his mind that his family would stay down to earth. He despised how his wife had been treated by the stuck-up bitches. He became a patron of the arts; it was not uncommon for his family to go to art shows, museums, sporting events, or concerts.

He knew everyone in town by name and loved to catch up with the latest local news. Townspeople often arrived for his barbecues. He made it known, if you fall on hard times, there would always be a warm bed and hot meals at his house.

One day Amy asked 'Her Ladyship', "Milady, why is the west wing never used?"

"'His Lordship' and I have agreed that if we got an influx of townspeople staying here, we thought it would be good to have neighbors living together."

Six months have passed, Amy never invaded 'His Lordships' inter-sanctum before, but she had some business concerns that had to be dealt with in a face-to-face manner. Amy knocked on his door with trepidation.

"Enter"

'His Lordship' was shocked when he saw Amy enter his office.

"Milord, I have some business concerns I wish to talk to you about."

"Please Amy have a seat and continue."

"Milord, as you know my business duties often concern small start-up businesses on the other side of the wall. We have been very successful with that formula so we will continue with that formula. This brings me to my first point.

As each start-up grows, each will take more and more of my time. People on the other side of the wall have heard about Milord's generosity so they flock to belong under your flag.

This is a five-year plan; I have hired a few people who will start a six-month training course starting at the end of the year. I want a second tier for us that works much like we have it set up now. Instead of me talking to an endless number of managers, they will handle new startups, first training, then one client and fill out from there.

It will come to a point, where we will need to hire an equal that works with me so we can have twice the amount of companies. This is the simplified version of my plan. I will need your blessing before I can implement this plan. If I get it, I have a secondary issue I would then need to talk to you about."

'His Lordship' said, "I hate to throw promising companies out of business. HR has a growing list of applicants, but we can only grow so fast. I will tell them to divide them up by the type of company they are so we can target what kind of company we want.

Your plan is a solid one. It shows how you have grown in your leadership role. You have my blessing if we move along slowly. I want the managers to find out the problem working through one company has before we give him four companies. We can only grow at the speed our people grow. You have my blessing to move ahead with the plan.

Now then, what is your other concern?"

"It is with a potential applicant. Before I tell you my concern, can you read through her CV and tell me what you think?" Amy handed 'His Lordship' the CV.

"This is a solid applicant, maybe over-qualified. Why have not hired her already?"

Amy asked, "Milord, if I may be so bold, would you hire her before she left the interview room?"

'His Lordship' said, "This is very unlike you Amy. You know I don't like to repeat myself. Why have you not hired her already?"

"Milord, I beg your pardon, she is my sister. I grew up with her so I know her strengths and weaknesses."

This gave 'His Lordship' a cause to pause. He looked over the CV again. "I see, if you were not working for me, I would want to steal her from a competitor. If there is a question of nepotism, I will ask for a delay on the decision to see if she exceeds all expectations for her position. Hire her, but make clear the situation."

Daniel's interview was in the afternoon. Amy steeled herself all morning, almost dreading the interview. Daniel could not wait for the joyous reunion at the interview; she would not get it. When Daniel walked through the door she could tell Amy's demeanor was cold as ice.

"Oh Daniel, welcome. Please have a seat and I will be with you shortly. I am sorry to keep you waiting. I see you have a very strong CV. Why are you here, and why should I hire you and not the other 100 people waiting for this position?"

Daniel knew Amy, she knew this was very hard for Amy to act this way. Daniel saw in Amy's eyes, pleading with her not to mention they were sisters. Daniel knew that would be suicide.

Daniel spoke up, "I have been on this side of the wall for eighteen months. My mother and most of my siblings returned to the other side. I have worked for two executive companies, each managing thirty people. I know I can manage many more people. I have very good people skills."

Amy asked, "Why did you work at the second company? Did something happen at the first that caused you to leave?"

Daniel replied, "I was approached by a representative of the second company and they offered me a better position. Since I did not sign a waiver or was contractually bound by the first company, I accepted their offer.

As to why you should hire me above the other 100 applicants, I have many intangibles. Loyalty, confidence in my abilities and knowing the decisions I am making are for the betterment of the company.

My people skills are second to none. You may ask if I was loyal if I left the first company. The answer is yes. While I was working there I gave my all to the company. I complied with every rule they had about leaving. They wished me well. My managers from both companies informed me that you had contacted them. They did not say what they told you, but I assume it was a positive response or I would not be sitting here now."

Amy continued, "We only hire the best and the brightest. We hire based on merit and we fire based on merit. If you are hired you must know there is nobody in this company whose job is secure, even 'His Lordship' can be replaced. If you do exceeding well there is a possibility of promotion, if you are doing well you can keep your job. If you are doing poorly or violate the rules, then I will be hiring someone else.

Please come back in an hour for your second interview. I will not be attending that interview so thank you for coming in."

At the stroke of 5:00 PM Amy came rushing out of her office and right up to her bedroom.

After thirty minutes, the lady's maid looked helplessly at 'Her Ladyship'. 'Her Ladyship' gave her a nod and her maid rushed to see Amy. Neither returned for dinner, somethings are more important than food.

Just before 9:00 PM the maid tucked Amy into bed and kissed her forehead.

When 'Her Ladyship' saw her maid come out she asked, "What did Amy say?"

"Milady, I am her confidant, I can't break that trust. I put her to bed and she is sleeping. Rest is the best thing for her now. Please talk to her in the morning, family member to family member."

That morning at breakfast 'Her Ladyship' announced, "I do not know what happened yesterday and I will not ask. I gather there was a problem at work and the division of business and family rules added to those problems. Amy came out of her office as soon as the workday was over. It took my maid three and a half hours to get her to sleep. This suggests that she needed help during business hours.

I am creating a narrow loophole stating that family members may need emotional support during business hours. If that happens, you can come to me and tell me everything about the problem. It is the best way for anyone to help. If I needed the support I would go to 'His Lordship'. I am glad my maid could help in the role of a confidant. I felt very helpless yesterday and I can't force people to break confidences.

'His Lordship' contemplated the rule, "That sounds reasonable, such rules are meant to be amended to suit the present-day problems."

'His Lordship' told Amy to take three days' vacation. Being on an emotional roller coaster did not help him.

'His Lordship' went down to HR to see how Daniel's application was going.

"Milord, HR hires most of our positions, the low-level people and their managers. Amy is trying to get Daniel one notch higher than that. We are the ones who check out their references. Out of 100 applicants, we will weed out at least fifty percent of those applicants, the rest we give to Amy for the first interview. We may put a notation on the CV.

After the interview, Amy will give a mark of 'A', 'B' or '-'. The second interview happens later that day; they score independently of Amy's score. She will defer to them if they have a higher score as they will work with them.

In theory, the manager's score carries more weight, a single '- 'or a double 'B' will not cut it. A double 'A' will advance to the third interview. An 'A' and a 'B' applicant will have more discussion. Anyone who makes it to the third interview, only three or four applicants survive on an excellent group. Usually one or two survive, they will be offered a job at some point in time which they can accept or decline.

If Daniel gets a job, her position will be far lower than where you need her. Amy wants her to prove herself just like anyone else. I haven't heard back from the managers yet."

'His Lordship' said, "Thank for your explanation, I had no idea. I hope she makes it; let me know if she makes it to the third interview."

"Very good Milord."

Amy had given Daniel an 'A'; Unless she totally fell apart in the mangers interview, she would make the third interview.

Today was the day the family outing was to be at the beach and everyone was getting into their bathing suits, except Daniel. Daniel had a tee shirt on under her flowery sun dress.

'Her Ladyship' asked Daniel, "Why are you not dressed for the beach?"

With a tortured look on her face, she pleaded with Amy, "Amy, do you trust 'Her Ladyship' and her maid?"

Amy thought it was an odd question, "With all my heart Daniel." Amy was somewhat confused.

Daniel went on, "Then I will tell my tale only to you three in Amy's room."

Once all four were assembled in Amy's room, Daniel took off her dress and top. Her entire back was scarred.

She said, "I was not as lucky as you were Amy. I was abducted and treated like a piece of meat. My wounds got infected and I had to get sent to the hospital. I was allergic to all antibiotics. There was a first-year med student who had won something like 'A day with the doctor's contest' was on rounds that day.

She was bold enough to ask the doctor about treatment with leeches. She said, "They could clean out the infection, but I would have to be monitored about my blood loss. A transfusion would be an extra complication for me to overcome. Once I was stabilized, my body could do the rest," she saved my life.

The two slavers were arrested and convicted. All their slaves were to be medically treated and they would pay for all medical treatment as well as any needed ongoing treatment. After which, all slaves were to be freed.

The prisoner bosses had a hands-off policy for the two. Once they heard that the medical bills were completely paid and all seventy slaves had been freed, the bosses put a hit on the two . . . something slow and painful. Both were injected with a radioactive isotope which could not be cured.

The medical staff petitioned the court for opioid treatment for the pain, it was denied. The medical staff could only look on at the twisted, pain-ridden patients as organ after organ shut down. Coma then death were their only reliefs.

The ordeal has affected my mind. During the day, I keep busy so I don't think about it, but at night when I start to relax and then go to bed it really gets worse."

'Her Ladyship' walked forcefully to the kitchen where the rest of the family had assembled. She exclaimed, "If Daniel is wearing proper attire for both public and business, you can't even think about talking about anything along those lines, this includes you as well husband and any billing for treatment she may need!

Amy, being her sister, and myself will help her through her trials. My maid will act as an extra trusted confidant, who will be terminated without referral if that trust is broken! That is my final word and it is also your final word!"

'Her Ladyship' had never been so forceful in her entire life; overruling her husband without even giving him a reason was unheard of.

It was only then Daniel realized something, 'His Lordship' would only allow 'Her Ladyship' to overrule him for one reason.

'His Lordship' and 'Her Ladyship' had Daniel's back, and they would fight to protect her.

At the beach, Daniel was quiet sitting next to Amy. When she did go into the surf it would be no deeper than shin deep, with her dress bunched at her knees so it would not get wet.

Daniel started to be more interactive with the family. She especially liked going to concerts. She went into town more; the market was a great place to talk to people.

She took the kids to sporting events or other events they would like. She gathered anniversary and birthday dates so a child could give their sibling or parents something special on their special day.

Daniel became obsessed about work, working sixteen to eighteen hours a day, even weekends. She was finished with her week's work by Wednesday, except for meetings.

She assisted her coworkers after that. Her coworkers appreciated she did not lord the hours she worked over them. Instead, her team flourished. Half of her team shifted itself to getting clients and half to close. Daniel no longer had any clients, but her team was setting records in sales.

Daniel pushed teamwork ahead of individual works, but she would not stand for people not carrying their weight. If a member of her team was selected to win an award she insisted it be identified as a team. Her team dynamic required input from every member.

One night while reading with 'Her Ladyship', 'His Lordship complained about the hours Daniel was working. 'Her Ladyship' bit her lip; she knew Daniel needed to keep busy to keep her daemons away from her.

The pause in the conversation made 'His Lordship' take pause.

"Thank you my dear, for keeping your word, we shall speak no more of it."

'His Lordship' came to Amy, "Amy, Daniel is going above and beyond with her team. I want to promote her but she would never leave her team; she is loyal to them."

Amy thought about the situation, "Milord, how far are you willing to go to promote Daniel?"

"I am not sure, let me hear your thoughts, I value your opinion."

Amy continued, "First, if you promote her, she has to manage more people and have more responsibilities. Second, you will need to promote the entire team or she will not do it. Third, her salary must be the same for her all the way to the lowest member of her team. Her title will just change. Fourth, you must give her a free hand as to who she wants on her team.

Her team is already outstripping sales of all your companies."

'His Lordship' sighed, "It will be a hard pill to swallow; however, even a hard pill is easy to swallow with water. In the end, you feel better. Profits will soar with her new team.

Tell Daniel about your plan and give me a list of the new people on her team."

Amy walked down the corridor to inform Daniel of the plan, "Could you give me your list of new people by the end of next week?"

Daniel opened the drawer to her desk and gave the list to Amy, "I appreciate 'Milord's trust at giving me this new challenge."

Amy was shocked the list was already prepared, she let out a gasp as she read the names. Amy walked away shaking her head. She went to give the list to 'His Lordship'.

Soon the intercom on Daniel's desk came to life. "Yes Milord, how can I help you?"

"Daniel, can you come to my office please?"

Daniel said, "Certainly Milord, I will be right there."

Daniel entered 'His Lordship's' office as he was holding the list in his hand.

"Daniel, can you explain the names on this list? I am surprised by many and some names I don't recognize."

"Milord, may I assume you are referring to all of the currently low-level workers? I have a special plan for them, but I need to see how they work with the team first. The three names that you do not recognize I stole from our competitors.

Milord, I need them on my team. Could you cut through the red tape for me please? I am embarrassed to say, but all I had to say is, "How would you like to join my team?" and they gave their notice. They don't even know what they are going to do here.

I thought you were going to ask me two weeks ago, their one-months' notice is almost up."

"Daniel, I disapprove of many names on this list as it goes against all business practices. One may also disapprove that you would think you were getting a promotion. That aspect is long overdue in my opinion. I will discuss this information with Amy along with what was said in this meeting. I will give you my answer by the end of the day. You are dismissed."

"Thank you, Milord."

'His Lordship' went to talk to Amy about Daniel's list.

"Milord, when I had my interview with her she said her people skills are second to none. Now you tell me, she stole three people from our competitors' and they don't even know what they are going to do. As far as I am aware, there is none on either side of the wall that can compete with her team. She knows people.

She has a knack to know how to mold her team to be the best it can be. I am sure she has plans in her back pocket that will be so far out of the box that it will shock the industry."

Now that Amy put the plan in a nutshell it made perfect sense to 'His Lordship'.

"Amy, tell HR about the changes. Daniel will be dealing with all the contracts for her team."

'His Lordship' came to speak with Daniel, "Daniel your team has been approved, good luck with them."

Daniel stated, "In that case Milord, could you read this short proposal?" Daniel handed yet another pre-prepared document to 'His Lordship'.

"Daniel, we can't do this. Companies would never agree to this."

Daniel said, "I beg your pardon Milord, no one has tried because they believed they couldn't do it. I see no reason why we can't get a piece of the action. It is not dissimilar to what we do already. Milord, as a businessman, if you found a way to explode your sales figures by doing something unconventional would you not do anything you needed to do it? It would not be illegal."

'His Lordship said, "Yes, I would, companies exist on sales. Daniel, you continue to confound me, you continue to do what I would have thought to be impossible to do. Your list probably already will start to groom your team so you are ready in a year. Two years from now I expect at least positive talks going on if not signed contracts."

12