Very Momentous

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay buddy. Now try this. Don't listen to anything and just watch my hand and only my hand. When it begins to move you hit it."

"Gotchya!" Mark cried excitedly. "Dad, he's very fast."

They heard another vehicle and everyone went out to greet the dusty 2004 super cab pickup.

Sierra was short, dark and tubby with her second pregnancy. She stepped out of the vehicle with three-year-old Bessie in her arms. Lilly and Cassandra rushed the cute little blonde Bessie who turned away shyly into her mother's armpit. Meanwhile their father Nick was cursing, attempting to close his door.

"Hi, I'm Cassandra's plaything Nick, how are you?"

"Oh hi. Pete isn't it?"

"Yeah. Give me a hand here Nick. Grab under the door right at the end against my hands and lift, strongly but very slowly. That's it."

Pete tried the door. "That's better but just a little more. Not too enthusiastically. We are using our hands, arms and backs like a super-sensitive instrument."

"Eh?"

"Quite Nick. Try your door now."

It shut with a satisfying clunk.

"There you go. If you're going to lean on your door talking, lean up here closer to the hinges."

"Oh yeah. Right. Thanks pal."

"Mind if I kiss your wife and say hello?"

"No, go right ahead. No tonguing though."

Of course every adult heard that and scowled.

Pete went up to Sierra and held out her arms.

"She won't..."

But wrong. Bessie held up her arms and sat on the crook of Pete's and stared at her mom before and after Pete kissed her. All four women saw Bessie take to Pete like a lamb and marveled, but said nothing,

"One, two, boo-hoo," said Pete, tapping a finger lightly on Bessie's chest and ended by brushing her lightly under the nose.

She giggled and cried "More" and he did it again and then handed Bessie to her mom. He went over to join Bruce and Nick and Bessie's eyes followed him all the way.

Cassandra knew she was taking a risk. Once she told her sisters-in-law they'd want to mother him, particularly Sierra. "Pete's wife abandoned him two years ago after becoming infatuated with a neighbor. They reared two kids -- Tom is eight and Micki is six. He knows about kids. His wife Sharon just upped and left with the kids and he'd not seen them since."

Sierra burst into tears and Cassandra and Paula moved in to comfort her.

"Oh that poor man," Paula sniffed. "Life has treated him unkindly."

Cassandra said smiling, "He's fine you two, no need to fluff your feathers."

"What's he like in bed," Paula asked.

"I'm telling you ladies, the best ass fucker I've ever had."

Both women slapped a hand over their mouth s and looked at Cassandra wide-eyed.

Sierra swallowed. "Cassandra, I don't think that's something you should tell us."

"And I agree," Paula said. "What makes him the best?"

After dinner, yawning heavily, Bessie walked over to Pete. She was lifted up and was sleep in his arms within two minutes. As soon as Sierra moved off with Bessie to put her down Mark took Bessie's place on Pete's knee and asked him to tell him about the old days."

"Like when I used to go fishing instead of being at school?"

"No."

"Like when I was a kid on my parent's mixed farm?"

"No."

"Well I can't tell you about my love of women."

"No, I don't want that stuff. Tell me about your love for pickups."

"Oh, my love affair with vehicles. Well it began when I was eight years old. My father finally dumped the 1948 Ford pickup when the engine seized behind the chicken shed. I named her Meg after a girl I liked in my class and every day I used to run home and sit in her and play, pretending I was a racing car driver."

The adults stopped talking and moved in closer. Pete talked for almost an hour, finishing when he recalled the day he termed one of the proudest days of his life, when he was promoted to an assembly line supervisor, beating off twenty-nine other applicants.

"The chairman of the selection panel said, "Young man, none of us could once stump you on any question about an F-150 series and your quick eye and attention to detail on the assembly line impressed us no end. You were the clear winner but had it been a tie I feel we would have given you the nod because of that story you told us how when you were fifteen you took that 1948 Ford Pickup F-1 that you had largely rebuilt yourself to your County Fair and won best of show prize. Your love for Ford pickups shows son."

Everyone clapped and Pete said thanks but made the point, "There are thousands of enthusiasts out there who love their vehicles who are far more enthusiastic about it than I am. I'm just glad that I found something to really love and that part of my love affair ended when a certain young lady said I had to choose between Meg the F-1 or her. In some ways I don't regret Sharon forcing that choice because it meant Meg moved on to a real enthusiast who has restored her to as close to original factory condition as he can get. Long live Meg."

* * *

A month later Pete was going well, being twenty-seven days into being sole operator within his own mobile territory although the mechanics were directed into other areas at times to help out reduce any backlog of work or when the regular operator was not available. He liked the work but found he had difficulty getting along with the boss and his wife. They seemed to think because he'd been an assembly line supervisor he was over-qualified for the job. He was in and out of the depot as quickly as he could to avoid Lance picking on him and then Lance began complaining to Pete that he was not socializing with personnel so he better smarten up his attitude.

Pete went home and moaned to Cassandra about it.

"Well, if you don't like it get out. You can service our fleet of pickups and work during slack times as a ranch hand -- there are miles of fencing that need attention."

"That sounds tempting but it offers me no room for advancement. That's why I went to the service center, intending to take out a loan and buy into the business if I found I could work with Lance. But we'd fight like cat and dog."

"Do you want me to talk to the family about buying the service center and installing you as general manager?"

Pete grinned. "That's mighty fine of you Cassandra, mighty fine indeed. But I think if I took that jump I'd like to be buying into a city dealership with a long term view of gaining control."

"As you wish. So you're leaving me?"

Pete looked aghast. "Hell no. I'm here until you kick me out. I'll stay where I am in the meantime and try not to allow Lance to pick a fight with me. I think he knows its guilt, that I'm his best technician and he should be paying me a premium."

"Have you been there long enough for him to be satisfied you are his best technician?"

"Possibly not although he's a shrewd asshole. I reckon he knows."

"Darling, I'd like to help if I can but so long as you're playing it as a mind game I'm about as useless as a bogged cow."

Pete fluffed up her hair. "That was a shrewd comment."

She laughed and told Pete to help her clear away dinner.

Two weeks later a life-changing moment occurred for Pete, with spin-off that would affect all of the Phelps.

When Pete came home that evening Lilly handed him a letter.

"It's a woman's handwriting and she favors perfume of my era."

"It's from mom, and you cunning hound you read her name and address on the back of the envelope."

"We'll you never talk about your parents so I thought they didn't exist."

"Mom divorced dad nine years ago and they've both remarried so it's a little like I don't exist for them."

Pete took his drink into to where the others were, kissed Cassandra, and began reading the letter.

"Jesus Christ!"

Cassandra asked fearfully, "What is it?"

"Mom says Sharon has commenced proceedings for divorce because she wishes to remarry. She understands our house is rented out so wants me to sell it and hand on half of the net proceeds. Tom wants to live with Gavin and her but Micki is definite she wants to live with me back in Louisville."

"Ohmigod," Cassandra shrieked. "You have your wish, or at least half of it. You're getting one of your children back."

"It looks that way. But Sharon could contest Micki's decision."

Her mother said, "You know what this means don't you Cassandra... if it proceeds smoothly?"

"I can't think straight."

Lily said softly, "It opens the way for you to a acquire a little girl, going on seven."

"But how?"

"You go with Pete to Louisville if invited or he attempts to persuade Micki to come here the result is the same."

"Is that right Pete?"

"Yes."

Cassandra rushed over into his arms.

Over dinner Cliff said, "What are my options if you move out Cassandra?"

She pulled out a piece of gristle and placed it on the edge of her plate.

"You tell the boys there are choices. You and I sell out to them to on the open market, with you and mom shift to town to live. Or your and the boys raise a loan and buy me out. Or we carve out a quarter of the combined ranch for sale and I get that money. Or you bring a new partner into the company and he or she buys me out."

"I don't think I want to leave the ranch darling," said Lilly. "Now you know that what is our best option?"

"In your position mom I'd think I wouldn't want a smaller ranch and you wouldn't want a stranger coming in so I'd vote to raise a loan to buy out your daughter."

"That's exactly what I thought.

"Me too," said Cliff.

"Well, we have to wait and see what eventuates. In the meantime chat to the boys about it dad."

Cliff and Lilly left the house soon after dinner with Cliff saying they were going to see a dog about a bone. Lilly kissed Cassandra and Pete and then said, "We are dropping over to see the old Murphy's. Mrs Murphy has been off color recently. You two need to talk."

When they left Cassandra danced dual left-footed Pete around the room singing, "I'm so happy, I'm so happy for you' and when the effort of dragging him, half stumbling, became intolerable she stopped.

"Gosh, dancing with you takes as much effort as carrying four fence posts at once."

Pete claimed he was light on his feet and Cassandra's giggle came with a deep kiss.

"Wow, that was sexy," Pete smiled, reaching for a breast, but she darted away calling dinner needed to be cleared away. Mother's little helper followed her.

"Thank you, you are being so happy about this."

"I'm delirious Pete. You need Micki like a cow needs water. Your children are part of you and I know in years to come when Tom becomes curious he'll renew his interest in you. Sharon's only problem from what you've told me is she wants a guy who'll sweet-talk her day and night."

"I did that."

"Yeah, when you were after her cunt."

Pete looked quite shocked.

"It's okay darling. I'm one of those women who likes her man to be both hard and uncaring and soft and romantic and not having you under my feet between bouts of sex. Starting each day being shafted and then being left free to get on with my work is a wonderful."

"Are you saying you'd like to be shafted if I can get home for lunch and as soon as I come home each evening?"

"It's a thought darling but I'm rather happy with the way things are cruising now. May we return to talking about Micki?"

"Yes of course. Um, you might not like this, as it's a bit tough. Even as a tot she was showing an independent streak and when she decided to do something that was it. Very much like you. If she says she wants to return to Louisville she will be very determined about that I reckon; she probably thinks about reconnecting with old friends after thirty months' separation."

"That's okay, who can blame her? One of us has to bend and if it means I get the chance to be with her and the chance of Micki one day dropping a 'mommy' on me I'll be more than compensated for moving away from here. It's not such a great place here with fucking snow and fucking drought and unappreciative cattle."

Pete grinned and kissed her slowly, not grabbing a tit. He then kissed both eyes.

"Christ Pete," Cassandra said sounding shaky and grabbing the sink bench for support.

"Are you okay?"

"There are some things when the opposite to a guy's concern is what makes a woman happy."

Pete looked at Cassandra as if she were talking in a foreign tongue. He was then put through the grill, asked to recall everything he could about Micki and by that she meant everything.

Shrugging Pete said okay and began, "I was doing pre-winter maintenance on the furnace when I realized Sharon had returned from the medical center that was open on Saturday mornings. She was leaning against the dusty wall streaked with spider webs, her hands pinned behind her butt and her face was shinning as if struck by the sun. But it was raining, making it dim in the basement with only two light bulbs. Then she uttered words that heralded a change to our lives: I'm pregnant again."

Cassandra said, "Ohmigod, I need to sit down. Let's go into the living room."

"So that was how I learned about the existence of my second child and whether it would be a boy or girl would not be revealed until the birth. The fact my mother was knitting pink was supposed to be an omen because she went in to buy white wool and when she arrived home she realized she had pink wool."

"Ohmigod," Cassandra yelled, a hand partly over her mouth. "What did she say?"

"We weren't there. I told you about the later discussion when it was suggested buying pink was an omen."

"Yes, yes. I understand that. But what did the would-be parents and grandparents think and feel?"

"I dunno."

Cassandra sighed.

Cliff and Lilly returned home. Lilly was a little miffed because Pete always came out to greet her but when they entered the kitchen she could here his voice droning on. She put down her handbag, took off her jacket and cap and handed Cliff the tea towel.

"Are they still at it?"

"Yes," Lilly smiled. "He's being pushed to recall every detail about Micki that he can. And my pick he'll finish and look at the tear-stained face of our daughter, smiling with love, and he'll propose. We'll have to sneak by and not disturb them."

"I'll have to take in the whisky bottle for him."

"Cliff Phelps, just how dense is dense? If you as much..."

Lilly had turned and caught the grin. "By God Cliff Phelps, and I've said this many times. You must have been a real pain for your mother."

"You say such the sweetest things to me," Cliff said, kissing Lilly and increasing her breathing rate.

The whisky bottle came out next morning before breakfast and they all had a nip after Cassandra pulled the sheepish Pete into the kitchen and announced, "Mom, dad. I have something momentous to say. Pete has asked me to marry him as soon as legally possible and I've accepted. It means I'll have a stepdaughter to care for -- sweet Michelle who at this stage still wants to be called Micki. Oh I've over the moon and want to cry."

* * *

Micki stood at the airport holding on to her father's and grandfather's hand, trembling in excitement and very conscious of her new dress and her hair in a ponytail for the first time. Gran stood out in front of them peering. Gran turned and said, "I can't see her, I do hope she's coming."

Grandpa said the woman can't see more than fifty feet and her dad pressed Micki's hand and said, "The aircraft's arrived so she's arrived Micki. Three minutes, no longer."

"Can I wait that long?"

"Yeah. Listen darling, try to remember this day so you can tell your children the day your new mom came to be with you."

"Will I remember?"

"Yes, it's what your new mom calls a momentous occasion. We all remember momentous occasions."

An ever-increasing flow of arriving passengers flowed out of security.

"I don't see her," grandma complained.

Pete had squatted down beside Micki and was saying Micki could call Cassandra by her name. Cassandra wouldn't mind.

"There she is -- dressed in brown with blonde hair showing under her Stetson. She's the tallest woman there."

The voice from that woman boomed through the noisy terminal. "Micki!"

Pete pushed Micki forward. "Run to her, she wants you. Don't be shy."

Micki ran.

"Mommy! Mommy!"

Pete's father slapped his back. "It's okay son, let it out. Big boys cry."

"Are you sure it's her?" queried his mom, peering. "Micki is so glad you and Cassandra bought out Sharon's share in the house. She loves living back there and her old friends are calling. Now where did I put my glasses?"

Her husband said quite kindly, "Hanging around your neck as usual, you old trout."

Cassandra and Micki were close enough to hear, both talking loudly.

"Oh my, you are so pretty and so tall. Did I hear you calling me mommy?

"Yes."

"What about your other mommy: Here let my wipe off the lipstick darling."

"She can be called my Other Mommy."

"Oh that's lovely darling. I know you are seven but I'd like to carry you for a wee while."

"You can do that...oh you are very strong. Why are you crying tears?"

Pete blew his nose and thought yes, this was a momentous occasion... a girl wanting a mother and a would-be mother developing the union.

Yes, very momentous.

THE END