Visions Unveiled Ch. 01

Story Info
Thirty-two years later.
3.9k words
4.58
19.6k
27

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/02/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

1.

Thirty-two years later.

He was awake, but he didn't want to move. Hell, he didn't even want to open his eyes ... or even breathe for that matter. Without the need of a clock or window Shane knew the sun hadn't even started to rise, but awake he was. In a pathetic display that would have shocked many who saw it, he buried his head under his pillow and tried to shun reality for another few moments. Every day began this way: with grief. For the last thirty-plus years, each time he awoke he was instantly reminded that part of his soul was missing. What hurt more was that the thing he needed most had been ripped from him so suddenly, he didn't even have time to realize what it was he lost before it was gone.

Part of him, a very dark part, wished for an end to that pain. That he could cease to exist as well. But as he roused further, that part of him succumbed to the other realities of his life. It was swallowed whole by the dominant side of his psyche that saw reason, and knew he must go on. He still lived, whether he felt it was a whole existence or not was not the point. There was still a pack to run, and he poured every ounce of his remaining soul into its success. It was only in this brief moment at the start of each day that he allowed the darkness to engulf him. He even welcomed it most days, for he and his wolf both agreed he deserved the punishment. So at the beginning of every single day he mourned the loss he couldn't escape. Then he shook it off and attacked the day with such determination, that no one could possibly ever guess he was tortured so.

Well almost no one that was. He was already casting off the bedcovers when the soft knock sounded at his door. While he instantly knew who was there he scented deeply anyway, his wolf giving an annoyed chuff in his mind. The man agreed. He crossed the room and pulled open the door. "Go away, Erin," he said automatically. His greeting held no heat though, and he contradicted himself by opening his arms so she could step into them. She too was still in her nightclothes, having left the warmth of her bed to offer her comfort as he exited his.

"You're hurting," were the only words his sister spoke as she held onto him with all her strength. Shane sighed, hating that she suffered with him. Erin, his youngest sibling, was empathic. Whenever a loved one experienced a strong emotion, she felt it as if it were her very own. She tolerated most well, except that the deeper the emotion, the more violently it pulled at her defenses. Shane despised that because of him, Erin was forced to begin all of her days in nearly as much pain as his own.

"No more than any other day," he admitted to her -- if only because to deny it would be pointless.

She shook her head as she backed away from him, the tears spilling down her pretty face. While Erin was a formidable wolf with much strength bestowed from her Alpha lineage, she was still the most sensitive Kellen, and unlike him, she could not fend off the tears he was able to overcome each day. "Today it feels worse, like I can hardly breathe. Why?"

Without speaking Shane turned and went to the nearest window, pulling back the dark curtains to reveal the span of the large backyard and the beginning of his forest beyond. The sky had begun to turn grey by now, and he felt his sister approach as he surveyed his land. There were no leaves on the trees, save the pines. The grass was the palest of greens, and appeared matted to the faded earth. Dismal did not begin to describe the landscape before them. Taking a shaky breath, Shane finally spoke. "Today starts February." Erin nodded in understanding. While the shortest month, it remained the darkest, the coldest by far. In every way. Or at least it had for the last 32 years. It was just two days away; the anniversary of the worst thing ever. The entire pack reeled each winter as their Alpha relived a tragedy that nearly broke him over a quarter of century before. This year would be especially worse, for this year the month would pass without a full moon. Meaning that there would be no celebratory run under the brightest moon of the calendar, and therefore no relief from the turmoil. At least not until March.

Erin suddenly felt a release inside her heart like a rubber band had just been snapped. That's how it was, the moment when his wolf lurched forward and had enough of the sentimental bereavement. It had gone on far too long this morning for the wolf's liking and he was done with it. Erin was relieved, she already felt the pain lessen, and the pull towards matters at hand. "Orders?" she asked, a businesslike tone entering voice which was not there a minute earlier.

The Alpha nodded quickly. "You know what is needed of you. Make certain the kitchen is running well and supplies are at hand for the next two weeks. Be sure the pantry and medical center are both fully stocked." His eyes turned to the sky and he nodded again, silently agreeing to what the wolf was telling him. "A storm approaches, I don't want anyone leaving for anything once it hits. The roads will not be passable for a time afterwards."

Erin regarded her brother as he gave his forecast. He was no seer, but centuries of life had taught him the rhythms of the winters, and she didn't doubt his warning for a moment. "A blizzard?"

Shaking his head, Shane turned from the window and headed towards his en-suite to shower. "No. It will be ice. First rain, then sleet. After that the freezing will begin." He paused for a moment and turned back to regard her rumpled bedclothes and the dark circles below her eyes. She had hardly slept, it was clear to see. Stepping back to her, he studied her further while tucking a strand of dark red hair behind her ear. She was a brave wolf there was no doubt, but he could see her fatigue, and cursed himself again as the month was only just beginning. He quickly reorganized his priorities for her. "Before all else check in with Logan, see if he needs anything as well. But don't take all morning about it, I don't feel like hunting either of you down for a second time this week."

Erin smiled at his light teasing as she made her way from his rooms, clearly knowing she was dismissed. It always lightened her heart once Shane's despair fully dissipated. She hurried down the stairs to the second story hall and entered her room, sliding under the covers and instantly back into the waiting embrace of her mate. In a way she felt guilty by returning to bed after the day had already began. Even so, she smiled to herself as sleep now came easily, knowing she was merely following her Alpha's orders.

* * *

Later that day found Shane dressed in a suit behind the desk of his downtown office. While he preferred to be outdoors, certain obligations forced him from time to time to make an appearance in the proper business world. Today was one of those days as he was scheduled to sit in on a board meeting. He was making final preparations before heading out when his secretary hesitantly knocked on his open door. He was busy signing a check so he didn't bother to look up. Instead he greeted her the same as always, polite but firm. "You may enter, Marie." Regardless of the many times Shane told her she had freedom to interrupt him, she always awaited his invitation to enter. Marie served as the Alpha's secretary to his father before him, a post she took very seriously.

"Apologies, Sir. This visitor has no appointment, and would not allow me the courtesy of announcing his arrival." The disdain in her voice had Shane looking up immediately. Marie was always professional and more than efficient at her job. Yet her tone signaled to him her intense dislike for the individual who was quickly headed into his office behind her. Shane resisted rolling his eyes as Justin saw himself into the Alpha's office. "Shall I close the door?" Marie asked before heading back to her front reception area.

Shane shook his head. "No, Marie that will not be necessary, thank you." With a curt nod she was gone, and Shane hardened his eyes as he turned them onto Justin. "Your timing is not good. You should have made an appointment if you wanted to meet with me today."

"And since when does a wolf need to schedule time to visit with family? Have you forgotten me completely, cousin?"

The arrogance in Justin's voice was already setting Shane on edge. He stifled down a growl because he didn't want Justin to think he had ruffled his coat, so to speak. "I could hardly forget, seeing as your remind me weekly. What brings you today? Something new or perhaps the same old tired subject? Cousin." At the final word, Shane allowed a bit of venom to enter his voice. Despite Justin's words, there was no love lost between the two wolves.

Justin spread his palms in a gesture that should have implied innocent intent, but Shane was not fooled. "I merely am concerned for the future of our great pack, surely you can understand that."

"I see," Shane replied, not bothering to mask the sarcasm this time. "Which is why you continually insist that I resign? Simply because you are concerned for the pack, nothing more?"

Justin nodded, "Some would argue you are no longer fit."

Shane couldn't resist the smirk from crossing his lips. "And I imagine some would also argue that just speaking such words would give me grounds to remove your throat for you. Historically, other Alphas have executed some of their pack for far lesser offenses."

Justin shook his head, "You would never. This is just one of the reasons why you need to stand down. I am not alone in this."

Shane raked his eyes over his mostly empty office, making his next point obvious before he even spoke. "Yet you present this case to me on your own. Where are they? The others who agree that I am unfit? Your fellow traitors."

"They will show themselves, when the time is more ... suitable."

Shane leaned back in his chair; the calm exterior he presented was only a front. Justin would have to be completely stupid if he believed that the Alpha was anything but a breath away from launching himself over his desk. Still, Shane spoke in a measured tone, giving none of his rage away. "You know the law as well as I. Should you, or any of your ... followers crave the title of Alpha, simply challenge me and be done with it. I will gladly accept, and then we can be done with this foolish game."

Justin shrugged, "So you would best any challenger. Just because you are the most lethal, does not make you fit to provide in all other ways." At this, the growl did erupt from the Alpha's throat, but for now it was just a quiet warning. In a show of complete disrespect and idiocy, Justin ignored it as he continued, "Strength alone does not an Alpha make."

Shane leaned forward, his sharp eyes piercing into Justin's, "Tread lightly, for if I hear what I think you are about to say, I will be most unpleased."

Justin laughed bitterly. "There are those of us who care not what you want to hear. The truth of the matter remains. You have not provided. The pack has grown stagnant, and our numbers have not increased in years. The blame for this is yours, I demand you acknowledge that." Justin took a step towards the desk as he finished his small speech and it was a mistake. Shane's wolf was howling inside of him to get out, to throttle any who dared doubt his place as Alpha male. He interpreted the smaller wolf's step towards him as one of aggression and responded in kind. He swiftly rose to his feet and leaned over his desk, placing his palms flat on the surface. This brought him to eye level with Justin and the growl he issued was nothing short of terrifying. When he finally spoke again he did so in a voice that was so low, Justin struggled to hear the exact words.

"I will only acknowledge that you are a disgrace to this pack. If you even think of repeating what you just said to me again, I vow it will be the last time you speak at all."

Despite Justin's show of bravado, the weaker wolf inside of him cowered at the Alpha's displeasure and rage. He knew he should submit, that this was a death wish, but the human part of him wouldn't back down. He managed another evil smile, "That reminds me, of your promises. Your vows. Is that what keeps you here? Waiting day-in and day-out for the damsel in distress to appear? So that you can rescue her, and fill your promise made to a sniveling human, thirty years now in her grave?" Jealousy and hate emboldened Justin enough to continue on, "You realize that there never was any prophecy, don't you? You have been waiting year after year for someone who will never appear. The human was already at death's door when she had that so-called premonition. It was probably nothing more than a hallucination brought on by disease and fever. The sooner you accept that and remove yourself from power, the sooner this pack can begin to thrive again!"

Shane finally snapped. His suit had been slowly tightening on his body as he trembled, keeping the wolf at bay. Now, seams split as he barely managed to keep from shifting. He reached out and violently grabbed Justin by the shirt, hauling his body halfway over his desk, leaving his legs dangling off balance. Shane's chest heaved as his eyes flashed gold. His claws lengthened own their own accord, causing spots of Justin's blood to begin seeping through his shirt. Instead of taking Justin's head, Shane pressed his arms forward with great speed and released him, sending Justin flying into the wall opposite his desk with such force that part of the wall crushed in and a painting nearby fell to the carpet. He then stalked towards Justin's fallen body and leaned over his prone position on the floor.

When he spoke, it was again, the eerily calm tone he used just minutes before. "You are still alive right now, only because you are my aunt's son, and it would break her heart that I put you down. Because I protect what is mine, I will not cause her that pain. But that is where my obligation ends. You are no longer welcome on my lands. By nightfall I want you clear of all that is mine."

Justin could barely believe what he was hearing. He was in pain but still managed to drag himself upright, knowing somehow, the larger wolf had only thrown him with a fraction of force he was capable of. "You cannot cast me out!"

Shane had already turned his back, forcing his wolf to resist the urge to kill the male behind him. "It is done. Now get out." Taking another deep breath to regain his composure, he managed to fully turn away and exit his office and cross through the lobby where a small sitting area and Marie's desk were located. Shane placed one hand on the wall and leaned against it while he continued to take deep, calming breathes. He was vaguely aware of the sounds of Justin's departure behind him, and some minutes later her sensed Marie's approach.

"Is he right?" Shane asked her suddenly, "Have I failed them?"

Marie carried a garment bag containing a fresh pressed spare suit for Shane to change into. She carefully draped the bag over the back of the sofa closest to him. "Failed who?" she asked. "The pack. All of you." After a time he added, "My father." Shame began to creep into his voice and Marie knew she was one of the few people he would ever allow see him so vulnerable. It tore at her heart, but right now he didn't need comfort, he needed to see reason.

"Shane Kellen, you bite your Irish tongue this instant. Alpha or not, I'll smack sense into you if it's my last, I swear it."

Shane couldn't resist a brief smile in response to her slight scolding. Marie was well over a two hundred years his senior, and she often didn't let him forget it.

"Still," he said, frowning once more, "It is true what he said. Maybe it is time for me to let Erin and Logan take over."

He still hadn't made eye contact with her and Marie was concerned despite her earlier jibe. She touched his shoulder until he raised his eyes to her. "Should you ever fall, the grace of Luna will guide Erin and Logan to rise and continue the legacy your father has left to you, but not one moment before it is their time. This is still your time, Shane, and I believe it will be so for many, many more years to come."

Shane still had his doubts. He hated to admit it, but Justin was right in one respect. He sighed as he looked at Marie, who was so much more than a clerical assistant. She offered him the soundest council whenever he needed it, and today he did. "But the numbers, Marie."

Marie squeezed his shoulder, "The numbers be damned, lad." She softened her tone further as she went on, "Your mate died in your arms. Her first breath was also to be her last. What an unkind fate Luna has given to you, and yet here you still stand. Healthy, sane and strong. I know not another wolf, let alone Alpha who could have survived such a devastating loss. I must believe there is a reason for that miracle alone. You amaze me each and every day, Alpha Shane Kellen. When your time to lead is over, it will end. Until then, don't you dare dream of walking away from your pack. Because that, lad, is the only way you could ever fail us. Understand?"

Shane took a deep breath and nodded, relief flooding him as Marie's words registered true in his mind. He shook it off, knowing it was the curse that was February making him behave so out of character. For a brief moment he almost regretted being so harsh with Justin, but his wolf was certain that he'd done the right thing, and Shane trusted his wolf without hesitation. "Thank you, I know you are right," he said to Marie as he picked up the clothes she had brought out for him, and returned to his office to change.

When he was out of earshot Marie raised her eyes to the ceiling and said in barely a whisper, "For your sake, I hope that I am."

* * *

"Mercy child! Are you trying to drive yourself blind, reading for hours on end with next to no light?"

Faline briefly raised her eyes as Sophie entered the front of the shop from the back room. Sophie spoke with a slight French accent, except when she was very upset or excited, then the French lilt completely took over her dialect. Now proved to be one of those times. "I can see just fine without running up the electricity," Faline said from the high, backless chair she perched on near the register. From here, she clearly heard the sound of disparagement Sophie made as she bustled by, flipping on the banker's lamp as she passed.

Sophie opened the front door of the shop and looked up and down the sidewalk, confirming there were no customers about this late in the day. Once she was satisfied the lane was deserted she stepped back in and locked the door, then flipped the sign to indicate the shop was no longer open for business. "Temperature's falling fast," Sophie commented as she turned back to regard Faline, who had already returned her eyes to the text before her. "Now," Sophie said as she placed her hand gently on Faline's cheek, drawing her attention from the book once more, "Utilities are for me to worry about, my little bichette, not for you."

Hearing the French knick-name Sophie had given her as a child instantly warmed her heart and Faline couldn't help but smile at the endearment. My little doe. Still, she shook her head at the woman who had been so kind to take her in so many years before. "You have enough to worry about as it is, without me adding to it." Closing the book before her, Faline looked back at Sophie, "Would you like to me to count the till?"

Sophie nodded before moving to the front windows to draw the blinds. "Yes, thank you. Shouldn't take you long, with what little sales there were for the day." Finished with the windows, Sophie started for the back of the shop where there was a staircase that led to the apartment they called home. "When you're done, don't dawdle with your books, I have a stew on, and it will be ready shortly."

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers
12