When Sorrows Come... Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Matt," Barbara said softly. "I'll do whatever you ask. I can only pray that Ted listens to and believes you. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, I know how stubborn he can be, but he likes and respects you. I just hope that you can get through to him.

"Matt," Barbara then pleaded. "Could you, please, take this along with you when you see Ted?" She then took Ted's wedding band from the chain around her neck and handed it to him."

****************

Approximately 36 hours later, Ted was sitting at his pool, enjoying a morning cup of coffee when his front doorbell rang. He turned in surprise, he rarely had visitors. Walking to the door he was shocked to find Matt Weeks standing there, a small smile on his face.

"Hi, Ted. I know that you're surprised to see me. Can I come in?" Matt asked.

Ted quickly got over his shock and replied, "Of course, Matt. This is quite a surprise. Please, come in. Can I ask how you found me?"

"It wasn't easy, Ted. It took months, you moved around a bit, but that's really not what's important. What's important is the reason why I'm here."

Ted smiled wryly, "I think I know why you're here, Matt. Do me and yourself a big favor. Don't try to be a marriage counselor, it really won't work. While it's nice to see you, I think that you wasted your trip. Barbara and I are finished."

"No, Ted. I'm not here as a counselor, I just want to give you some information that you don't have. Please, just listen for a few minutes, ok?"

"Ok, Matt. Let's go into the den. Do you want something to drink or a snack or something?"

Matt shook his head. "I just want to get this done." Matt then proceeded to give Ted the same information he had given Barbara. It didn't take long. Matt finished and looked at Ted searchingly.

Ted just sat there in disbelief, astonished. "Are you telling me the truth, Matt?", he asked, his voice rising. "I went through this fucking torture because you and Ann were in that room? My whole life was turned upside down by a fucking mistake?"


Ted rose suddenly and he snarled at Matt. "Did Barbara put you up to this? This sounds like something she would come up with. I can't believe that you would go along with her, I had more respect for you than that." Ted was livid and totally confused and bewildered.

Matt had arisen with Ted and now clasped his shoulders. "I was right, you were home that evening and you did hear Ann and me, didn't you? You thought it was Barbara and another guy and that's why you left and disappeared. Goddamnit, Matt. I'm telling you the truth. I swear on everything that's holy, it's the honest truth."

Ted sank back in his chair, his legs giving out on him. He shook his head, trying to absorb and understand what Matt had told him and what he was now saying. "My God," he muttered. "My God, what have I done? I turned everything to shit - why didn't I just break into that room? All of this could have been avoided. How can I face Barbara? She must hate my guts." Ted just sat, holding his head in his hands, trying to come to grips with what Matt had told him.

"Ted," Matt said compassionately. "Don't worry about Barbara hating you. When I left she was praying that you would return to her. She loves you, Ted. She gave me this to give to you - she had been wearing it on a chain around her neck." Matt then held out Ted's wedding band.

Ted just looked at it blankly, seemingly frozen in place. He slowly accepted the ring and almost absently placed it back on his finger where it had resided for so many years. The two men spent the rest of the day alternating between deep conversations and long periods of silence. Ted was grateful for Matt's presence; he was glad that there was someone there with him, someone with whom he was able to talk.

As night fell, Matt arose from his chair and said, "Ted, it's late. I have a room near the airport and my flight leaves early in the morning. I have to call a cab."

"Forget the cab, Matt. I'll drive you - it's not all that far and it'll give me a chance to get out of the house. I can use the fresh air."

The drive did not take long and Matt hesitated a bit before exiting the car. "Ted, what should I tell Barbara? She knows that I'm here talking to you."

Ted hesitated for a moment. "Tell her that I have to wrap up some things here and that I'll drive back sometime next week. I should get there by the end of next week and when I do we'll sit down together and talk. Something I should have done a long time ago," Ted said ruefully. He then sat for a bit as he watched Matt enter the doors of the hotel.

Two days later Ted found that he couldn't sit still. His anxiety and impatience to leave finally got the better of him. He called the airline and got an evening flight out. Packing a small overnight bag, he made it to the airport in plenty of time and fidgeted and changed position frequently during the flight. Fortunately he didn't have a seat mate.

It was well after 10:00 p.m. when the plane finally landed and he was able to exit the airport and retrieve the rental car waiting for him. His thoughts were still random and unformed. He had just decided to let things develop and see how he and Barbara could put their lives back together. He pulled into his driveway around 11:00 and saw the house dark. He breathed a sigh of relief when he noticed a dim light in the master bedroom - Barbara was still up.

He used his key and let himself in quietly. He moved to the stairs and hesitated when he heard voices coming from the second floor. The blood chilled in his veins as he silently climbed the stairs. The master bedroom door was only slightly ajar, not allowing him a view of the interior of the room, but he heard the conversation therein quite clearly.

"........damn it, Phil. I keep telling you. Ted'll be home next week and we have to cool it for at least a few months. I have to get my marriage back on track."

"Shit, Barb. We've been screwing for almost two years. It's not going to be easy for me," he whined.

"So jerk off a lot, Phil," she laughed. "Look, I've told you a dozen times. I love my husband and I don't want to destroy my marriage."

"Hell, Barbara. If you love him, why do you cheat? You told me that I'm not the first guy you had an affair with."

There was a brief moment of silence. "I've asked myself the same question for years, Phil. I guess it's the wrongness of it. The danger, the excitement, the thrill of a new affair. All of that gives me orgasms that nearly take my head off. You know how I almost loose it when I come."

"And Ted doesn't do that for you? Is he that lousy a lover? Is that the reason why you cheat?"

"Ted's a wonderful lover," she snapped at him. "It's just not the same. When Ted makes love to me, it's just that. It's wonderful, caring love. But when I'm with a lover, it's wild. Damn it, Phil, enough conversation. My pussy is dripping - get your mouth down here and take care of it one more time before you leave."

Ted just stood and listened. He then turned, descended the stairs and moved to the front door. He hesitated and then turned and walked into the kitchen. He removed his wedding band and placed it in the center of the table. He looked at it for a moment then turned and walked out of the house, not bothering to close the door behind him.

The End