Whispers of Redemption Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What would make you say something like that?" He nearly snarled.

"I just know it" she murmured, wholly mortified.

"What you know is what you've been taught; let that sink in."

"When you're told something over and over and over again...it begins to look truer than anything else, until it's the only truth." Kayla whispered as her fingers traced the warm thick veins on the back of his hand. His hands captured her face and she found herself forced to look directly into his eyes, quickly realizing that was her favorite place to be: in his eyes

"I can show you the truth" He said, his breath coating her lips and caressing her cheeks. She inhaled purposefully, basking in the mere feeling of his proximity.

"Do you trust me?" He asked broodingly. Kayla's hands grabbed at his elbows as she closed her eyes and sunk her cheek into the warmth of his palm. She nodded.

"And I don't know why" she admitted shyly.

***

10:00 am

"Mauricio, what a pleasure" Paul Alessi kissed Mauricio Pelosi's cheeks and ushered the man into the plush seat across his desk.

"I like what you've done with the place, Paulie. I've got to admit." Mauricio chuckled as he popped a Cuban cigar between his teeth and handed another one to Paul.

"You always know how to treat a friend." Paul smiled as he placed the cigar between his lips and searched for his lighter. After lighting Mauricio's and his own he leaned back in his chair.

"You see, Paulie" Mauricio began "I've been concerned about our previous arrangement."

Paul grunted his consent for the other man to continue.

"No one knows how to run this thing better than you, but I'm having my doubts about Gianni."

"My son?" Paul inquired rhetorically

"What about him?" Paul took another drag from his cigar

"Haven't you wondered why he hasn't joined the administration? Gianni ain't no empty suit, we all know that. But how helpful will it be having your only son separate himself from the administration. You need someone to carry on the name."

"Gianni will join the administration, Mauricio. My son doesn't concern you."

"He'll be my son-in law soon, Paulie...I just think the boy is too smart to be pondering. He's up to something; top notch investment banker...opening up clubs, more branches...a restaurant. Get him in Paulie, and get him in now."

"If you weren't like a brother to me, I would burn (kill) you for this." Paul said solemnly. Mauricio didn't so much as squirm in his seat.

"I ain't stupid Paulie...if you don't take heed, something much worst is gonna go down than my death."

"Like?"

"There's been a shortage on girlfriends (cops persuaded to work with mobsters are referred to as girlfriends). A lot of people know about Gianni's reluctance to join; some of my men have informed me that others are willing to take matters into there own hands. No one takes the Omerta if they haven't been made, (haven't joined) and more and more of the lower-ranking mob members are beginning to resent Gianni's status. We got rats all over, Paulie, (rats were snitches) startin' a lot a shit. I suggest you sit him down and talk to him. He has too much fiscal potential to remain legit...money leaves footprints; it'll be much harder for him to join later to take over for you ten years down the road when the cops have every tax report he's ever made and all of a sudden they stop gettin' em. If he's made now, he has a lot more protection and the chances of the feebs (FBI) using those financial foot prints run real low. They can't use what they can't see.

"I want every rat brought in." Paul replied coolly

"If I knew who they were we wouldn't be having this problem."

Paul nodded at Mauricio, expressing his understanding of the situation.

"And you're afraid that when he marries Angela, those rats will have leverage."

"Don't get me wrong, I am concerned about Gianni as well, but yes...I am worried for the safety of my daughter. A lot of people see him as a threat to our secrecy. You take the Omerta as a code of silence when you're ushered into the administration, the family...but he isn't in the 'family'."

"You seem like you believe my son is a liability as well, Mauricio" Paul commented as he exhaled a cloud of cigar smoke.

"I believe the feebs (FBI) are too much of a liability for Gianni to remain in his current position." Mauricio answered smartly.

***

November 12th 2000

Loans and Investments(Jeremy's workplace)

10:05 am

"Emilio" Jeremy nodded to the mobster as he flew passed him and into his office...he was running late. Emilio didn'tactuallywork in his office because Jeremy didn't use or deal with mobsters. He was a sort of work Body Guard; hence he worked under the guise of another one of Jeremy's secretaries. Paul had assigned him to Jeremy a couple months back when someone had attempted to kill him. Although Rocco was reluctant to take in the mobster who was similar in age to them both...things had worked out. No one working in his branch actually asked why Jeremy needed another secretary and Cassie didn't seem to mind. If anything he worked for Jeremy so no one had reason to question it. Jeremy handled the investment banking department, serving governments and organizations that issued securities. Many of his father's close friends referred to him as the handler, specifically because his father would come to him for advise on handling and investing his money and although Jeremy did advise his father and his father's investors, his name wasn't in the books and he wasn't on his father's pay roll, there was nothing fiscally connecting him to Paul and that's how he wanted it to stay.

"Mr. Alessi" Emilio acknowledged.

Jeremy barged into his office and took a seat behind his desk, after reading all of the post-its Cassie (his official secretary) had left him; he turned on his computer and began to work. His cell-phone rang five minutes later.

"Alessi" Jeremy had a bad habit of forgetting to look at the caller id when his phone rang. He cursed silently in chagrin.

"It's Rocco"

"Anything new?" Jeremy asked as he continued to look for the latest report on the Baker investments he was co-managing with Ryan Baker. He knew why Rocco was calling...it had something to do with Bruce Torch. Rocco called for administration issues that concerned Jeremy...or for a regular chat; but Rocco wouldn't be calling him for a regular chat if he knew he was at work.

"Dracula called me with some interesting news about Bruce Torch's latest rendezvous." Rocco replied. Jeremy slipped a hand in the pocket of his slacks and leaned back in his chair. Sam DeMarco was always referred to as Dracula, he was a high ranking mob member that always cleaned up after a messy crime scene...he also did most of the clocking since it was something he was extremely good at. He was considered one of the Alessi Headcrushers, someone chosen to deliver a hard beating to another, with intent not to kill, but to harm.

"Go on"

"Torch purchased a piece" Rocco began "Dracula said that he tracked him on the west highway (the only highway exclusively controlled by one of Paul's big earners).

"Said he was headed straight for the Cross Roads Motel, that's where Kayla staying." Rocco finished.

"How soon?" Jeremy snapped. Rocco knew he was referring to how long it would take Bruce to reach her.

"Twenty, thirty tops" Rocco confirmed.

"Shit. Alright, find Ray and meet me outside in no more than five." Jeremy felt like a complete idiot. He closed his eyes briefly attempting to collect his thoughts before his temper won over.

"Fuck!" He fumed. He quickly dialed Kayla's Motel room number on his cell phone and silently prayed she would pick up. She did just that on the second ring.

"Jeremy?" She sounded so hopeful-vibrant even.

"Kayla I need you to listen to what I'm about to say, but I need you to stay calm." Jeremy rushed out. He heard no reply only the quickening of loud breaths.

"Kayla" He urged

"Yeah"

"Get the gun I gave you and remove the safety...go into the bathroom and sit in the corner farthest from the door, do you understand?"

"What's happening?" She said weakly. Jeremy could tell she was already on the verge of a nervous break down. He wanted so badly to be in that room protecting her.

"Kayla I need you to do this for me."

"Okay, I can't take the phone with me, though" She stammered.

"I know, just grab the gun, remove the safety and tell me when you've done that. Then I want you to hang up and go in the bathroom." Jeremy shrugged on his jacket as he spoke to her and lifted a finger-signaling a curious looking Cassie who had just walked in to be patient. A few seconds later he heard Kayla's voice once more.

"I've got the gun" She said

"Hold it just like I showed you...never loosen that grip. Hang up."

"Jeremy...I'm scared." Her voice cracked.

"Don't be, I'm coming for you, I promise. Hang up, Kayla." Kayla hung up and Jeremy shoved his cell phone in his pocket.

He had just left the Cross Roads Motel. After Kayla had finished her breakfast he had given her his gun, the gun he always kept in the dashboard of his Pagani Zonda. Jeremy spent nearly two hours showing her how to use it and how to remove the safety. There had been many moments when he contemplated asking her to stay with him instead of at the dreary motel room she was in; like when he showed her the pistol and the look that spread across her face felt like a punch in his gut, but she didn't ask him why he had one or if he ever used it before...which he had; or when he told her not to be afraid to shoot directly at Bruce's head and her whole body began to shake. She was extremely fragile and he had a feeling asking her to stay with him would set her on edge. So he gave her the gun highly doubtful that she would have to use it, because if Bruce was anywhere near her...Jeremy would find out and he would end this before she ever attempted too do so with that gun.

"Mr. Alessi?" Cassie murmured whilst staring at Jeremy as if he'd gone crazy

"I've got to leave for an hour or so, something has come up. I want you to get Lancaster working on the Baker investment immediately and leave my office locked. Tell Emilio not to piss his pants, I'll give him a call in a few."

"I'm on it" she said quickly.

***

November 12th 2000

Cross Roads Motel

10:30am

Kayla sat in the corner farthest from the bathroom door clutching Jeremy's handgun like a maniac. She wasn't as scared as she usually was when she knew Bruce was 'on his way', probably because this time someone else was on their way as well...for her. Despite her optimism her hands still shook violently and her heart still threatened to burst out of her chest. Whimsically and slowly she began to hum a song she'd heard just a few days ago by Coldplay called "See You Soon". She hummed softly enjoying the feel of her heart beats slowing and her hands grow still. Surprisingly the words came floating back to her with wild abandon. She wrapped her left arm around her shins; the gun still gripped in her right, and sang her self into serenity.

"Cause in a bullet proof vest with the windows all closed, I'll be doing my best...I'll see you soon" She sang in a whispered tone rocking back and forth rhythmically.

"They came for you...came snapping at your heels, came snapping at your heels..."

"In a telescope lens, when all you want is friends...I'll see you soon."

"You lost your trust...you lost your trust...don't lose your trust"

Loud knocks struck her front door, she could hear the muffled raucous even through the wood of the bathroom door. She sang a little louder, knowing exactly who it was that continued to knock. She closed her eyes repeating the chorus.

"Kayla!" She heard Bruce scream. She sang louder, knowing he wouldn't hear her over his own insanity and needing to be somewhere...anywhere other than where she was.

"Kayla, open this door!!" He roared. Kayla squeezed her eyes shut; pressing her body farther into the corner, praying Jeremy was on his way; she never stopped singing.

All of a sudden she heard a loud gun shot and nearly jumped up to full height. She heard the door swing open and the hard clunk of his boots. She halted her singing resigning to a barely audible hum, a tear streaming down her face. He had a gun.

"Lock your elbow and line the gun up with your target...the rest is up to that index finger. Don't hesitate and don't stop, empty the cylinder."Jeremy had said. The sound of his voice lingering in her mind gave her the strength she needed to stand up and take deep breaths. She lifted her right hand, and locked her elbow, training the gun on the bathroom door. Kayla bit down, clenching her jaw. Even as she toughened her exterior her insides grew numb. Tears still fell from her clear hazel eyes though they didn't hinder her focus.

"Kayla" She heard Bruce whisper. He sounded as if he had his face pressed up against the door.

"I don't want to hurt you Kayla" He drawled. A sickening sensation filled Kayla's stomach. She tightened the grip on Jeremy's gun as the tears came faster. Where are you, Jeremy? Where are you...where are you...where are you? The hand that held the gun began to shake and she steadied it with her left. A small involuntary whimper escaped her mouth as Bruce punched the door...swiftly losing his non existent patience.

"If I waste a bullet in this door I'll have to put one in your head." He screamed. Kayla winced.

"Open the door!" He growled "Open the Goddamn door!"

Kayla clasped her free hand over her mouth as she began to weep. Sob after sob tore from her dry throat, stifled by her clammy fingers. She realized that Jeremy would be too late. She realized that she most likely wouldn't be able to shoot the gun. She realized that Bruce would most likely shoot his. As she realized these things another gun shot seized the air and left the bathroom door swinging lamely aside. Bruce moved so quick she wasn't sure what was happening even as it happened. Suddenly, her back hit the cold dirty tile of the bathroom and the gun was being torn from her hand. Jeremy's gun. She screamed as loud as she could, struggling to fight him off. She didn't know why she screamed the name she did...being that the man that that name belonged to was probably miles away.

"Jeeeerrrrremmmmmy!!!!" She hollered, clawing Bruce even as he pried the gun from her and threw it out of the small bathroom. He then placed the barrel of his gun at her temple. When she halted any sudden movements or sounds-only her hiccups jarring her chest- he sluggishly traced her lips with his fingers. He grabbed a fist full of her silky curls and pulled.

"Aah!" An unearthly sob flowed from her inner being, echoing in the bathroom and staining her memory.

"Did you think that I would let you leave?" Bruce growled. Kayla continued to wail, turning her head away from him regardless of the fact that the barrel of his gun followed.

"Answer me!!" He roared into her ear. He released her hair and pressed the barrel harder into her temple, satisfied with her cry of pain. He reached down with his free hand to pull down her sweat pants eliciting an animalistic response from her.

"No!!!!" She screamed, kicking her legs and squirming away. Bruce cocked his gun and watched as she immediately stilled.

"Every human being values life the most, so don't fight me when you know exactly what you're going to lose if you do, Kayla" He whispered lovingly into her ear as he pulled her underwear down her thighs and unbuckled his belt.

"I've missed you" He cooed sinisterly, watching her tears drain down the corner of her eyes, along her temples and onto the barrel of his gun. He would never shoot her, but she didn't know that. At this stage in his life, she was the only thing he had any sort of power over ...he would never lose that.

"Please don't do this" She murmured over and over again all the while staring deadly at the mocking fluorescent light of the ceiling. When she felt him spread her legs a deep sorrowful scream shook her chest, it sounded like the mourning cry of a widow or the wail of a mother who had lost a child. In a way, she was about to lose something as well, a little piece of her soul. She wished she didn't want to live as much as she did in that moment, that way she could fight until he blasted her away. But she did want to live, if anything she had something...someone to live for...to look forward to: her new friend. It was an unrequited reason...but still a reason. Bruce swung the back of his hand across her face with a powerful blow and everything before her eyes darkened as stark pain attacked her. He reached down to align himself and she squeezed her eyes shut, ready for the pain.

But before Bruce could follow through, before she could fully prepare herself for what was bound to happen, a gunshot pierced the air and a strangled cry assailed her ears. Bruce's gun hit the ground simultaneously as blood leaked from his mouth unto her face. The weight of his dying body pinned her to the ground and she was forced to witness him struggle to breathe through weak wheezing. Suddenly he was lifted off of her and into the air. And then she saw him...Jeremy, a murderous look on his face as he pinned Bruce against the wall and proceeded to beat the living hell out of him. Jeremy looked crazed as he threw fist after bruised fist in Bruce's face and abdomen. Bruce cries were of a tortured man; his pleas for mercy were cut short as Jeremy threw him to the ground before kicking him in the head.

Kayla looked away from the bloody scene and had forced the wave of sickness down, struggling to pull up her underwear when another man with long blonde hair-the one from the restaurant-lifted her into his arms and carried her out of the bathroom. Her sweatpants were still bunched around her left ankle and she hadn't gotten the chance to fully pull her underwear over herself. Despite her total indecency she clung to the burly man that resembled an angel, gripping his shoulders as if her life depended on it. She heard another gunshot go off...and then another...and another. The man laid her gently on the bed and pulled up her underwear and sweatpants.

"Get Dracula on the phone." He said solemnly to another man who stood by the door. Kayla's aching faced twisted into a wry look of confusion. Dracula?

The creak of the broken bathroom door permeated through the small room and Jeremy stalked out covered in blood. As soon as Kayla caught the wild look in his eyes a new wave of tears flowed from her tired eyes; she knew he thought he was too late...it was in his green eyes buried and boiling. He dropped to his knees on the bed, his hands hesitant to touch her in fear of hurting her; they remained suspended inches above her small form depicting the very indecision that plagued his frenzied mind as he fought to get over the intensity of the blindingly white fire running through his being and embedding itself within his veins. He had never broken a promise before until now and as he stared down at her, curled up and defeated as tears ran unhindered from her shut eyes he felt as if he could walk back into that bathroom and raise Bruce Torch from the dead just to kill him again...slowly.

He had found that once he shot his gun he couldn't stop himself from emptying every shell into that monster's body. He knew days from now the sight of the blood and the mangled body parts would come back to haunt him, but he'd never regret it. He'd killed her burden...the person who'd hurt her the most. But that didn't change the fact that he had allowed him to hurt her just one more time. He tried to block out the sight of Bruce Torch above her, between her legs...his balding head buried in her neck...his hand in between them doing God knows what; Jeremy dropped the gun to ground. It was only when he felt her small hand grab a hold of his pant leg that his heart stilled, his breath ceasing in his throat. Time couldn't catch up to his movements as he lifted her into his arms. Her hair fanning his shoulders and face and the lightness of her body weight filling his arms.