Wonderland Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And many of them looked like they wanted to.

Lennox led us to a round wigwam-like structure that easily outshone all the others around it. Here, Lennox explained, the children and mates of the Herd Leader lived. I had seen the wigwams throughout the entire camp, but I didn't know that the leader and family had isolated themselves from the others. It made sense, of course, because humans did the same, but maybe at the same time, that's what made it so weird. The creatures surrounding me were so obviously not human, but yet they had the same characteristics.

Shaking that thought off, I ducked down under the heavy flap of fur that Thatcher held up for me, my eyes widening as I took in the interior of the Herd Leader's home.

Wigwams are notoriously known for being conical and round in structure, their size varying by the amount of supplies on hand and the need for space. Kynan obviously didn't have to worry about the amount of supplies -- he was, after all, in the middle of a national forest -- and space wasn't an issue either. But there was such thing as a wigwam being ostentatious, and Kynan had certainly achieved that here.

The wigwam was a juxtaposition of wood and stone, like a medieval castle. The sheer size of the wigwam was akin to that of a small house, and I have to admit I was baffled at how this thing was able to stick together despite the strain it was under. Furs and people littered the floor, as did stuffed homemade mats that served (or I presumed they served) as bedding and homemade wooden toys.

In fact, Kynan's "hut" reminded me of a nursery. Furs with small handprints in different colors were hung along the walls, some of the paint more faded than others. The wooden toys were fashioned and painted in strange shapes and colors, many of which bore teeth marks. The bed mats were toddler sized.

In that moment, the sound of children laughing in an excited tangle of chirps, yips and indistinguishable streams of words filled the air. I looked away from the walls just in time to see a mass of tiny children with fox-like features leap at me.

I was tackled just inside the doorway of the wigwam, knocked all the way down to the floor. As I struggled for air, the kids struggled to find a place to sit on me. I blinked in surprise as my arms were stretched out and examined, my gloves ripped off so tiny little paws could study my human fingers more closely. My ears were tugged on, as were my boots, and soon I was being undressed roughly by six little demons until I wore only my sweaters and my jeans.

A husky chuckle cut through my plans of how best to get back my socks. I managed to squirm my way into a seating position and stared at the group of adult Lunar who were staring back in surprise, each adult trying to hide their smiles as they took in the scene.

Thatcher wore a big shit-eating grin on his face, not hiding anything at all.

"I'm glad you find this amusing," I told him before plucking my sock off the head of a little male Luna before he suffocated himself. I managed to get my socks back before Lennox called them off in the Lunar tongue. All of the kids had something of mine in their hands as they retreated behind the group of adults, holding up their prizes for them to see, eager for praise.

Hopefully I'll get my shoes back, I grumbled to myself as I stood up stiffly.

I brushed the dirt off my jeans before facing the group fully, feeling a little embarrassed that a couple of little kids had taken me down so easily.

"This is Annis," Lennox explained to the group in English. "Annis, this is my family." He rested his hand on a gangly fiery red male youth who blushed instantly. "This is my younger brother, Tavish, my mother, Saoirse, and my father and Herd Leader, Kynan. All these pups are the new litter."

I nodded to each person in turn, noticing that he did not introduce the two women standing behind Kynan, but I knew I wasn't in any position to ask. I smiled politely and went to approach the group when suddenly three very tall and very serious-looking Lunar males flanked me with thick spears in hand, each metal-tipped spear angling in my direction the moment I bent my knee.

"Annis is not a threat, I presume?" Saoirse asked her mate, her amber gold eyes glancing at the spears. Kynan nodded stiffly and the spears -- and the men -- backed away from me to resume their positions at the entryway.

Saoirse smiled brilliantly at me then, leaving her mate's side to take my hands in hers. "The children have never met a human before, so you'll have to forgive them for running off with your things," she laughed, her eyes twinkling with humor. "I promise you that they'll return them."

And of course, I said the first tactless thing that popped into my head. "Well, if it's any consolation, I've never met a Luna before, so I'd say we're about even then. And I don't mind. They're just curious, that's all."

But Saoirse just laughed and released my hands to loop an arm around my shoulders, leading me closer to the rest of the group. "I'm sure you and your mate are hungry. We'll have our meals brought here, unless you object to that?"

Was I even allowed to? I wondered idly. I shook my head. "Not at all." I hesitated to tag on "Ma'am," to the end, unsure how to address her. Or anyone, for that matter.

Saoirse waved her hand at the girls behind Kynan, who instantly scurried off. I noticed then that both women were wearing identical uniforms, a kilt-inspired design that reflected the dyed garb that both Kynan and Saoirse wore. Lennox and Tavish wore a variant of the colored robe of their parents as well, though their kilt of sorts was underneath heavy chest padding bound together by leather straps that I assumed was a warrior's garb. Only Lennox wore a weapon, a dagger bound tightly in its sheath at his hip.

Maybe the girls were servants?

Before I could ask a question, Saoirse led me to the furs surrounding a large fire, shooing off the children when they came back. I was glad for that, because I wasn't sure what else I could give them. If I was undressed further, I think I'd turn into a snowman in a matter of minutes.

Soon, everyone was gathered around us, though talk did not come easy. Fortunately, it didn't stay that way for long.

"Lennox tells me that you have brought three hundred Raspan troops to our side of the mountains," Kynan began in a voice husky with age, but filled with strength. "But yet you do not wish to engage in battle." His golden eyes flickered and for a second, they were so bright they resembled Thatcher's. "Explain your purpose here today."

I eyed Thatcher out of the corner of my eye. Kynan did not sound angry or condescending; in fact his voice was perfectly neutral. But Thatcher had been a little volatile recently, and I couldn't help but hope he hadn't transformed out of irritation.

But Thatcher didn't seem bothered at all. "The men who follow me are evolved Raspans, recently displaced from Fuyher's control. I did not want to fight Lennox or your scouts, but he had my Annis in a stranglehold with a knife to her heart. Battling was the furthest idea from my mind at that point." Thatcher took my hand in his and I noticed Lennox's eyes followed the movement, his golden eyes darkening some. Weird...

"But I do plan to engage in battle, Leader Kynan. Just, not with the Lunar." Kynan grunted. I couldn't decide if the noise was one of contempt or disbelief. "I am sure Lennox may have told you my title -- King of the Raspans. That is my birthright, as I am the only son of Fuyher's capable of taking human form. I am also the only Raspan apart from my father who can control others of my kind. Though unlike my father, my control is not just limited to my own." Instantly the warmth of the room changed, like a vacuum had sucked out all the warmth in the hut.

'Good going, Thatch.'

His response was to squeeze my hand tightly in his own.

"The troops have been released of Fuyher's control and are now under mine," Thatcher continued. "It is my hope that with these men, hopefully more, that I can help build an army to counter Fuyher's attack. That is why I am here, Leader Kynan."

Thatcher straightened a bit and I watched Táxim-se take over. "I wish to fight Fuyher and I am asking you to fight with me."

I looked over the fire at Kynan to see that his back was ramrod straight, his golden eyes now a curious shade of orange. A feral smile crossed his face and he stood quickly, a smiling Lennox and a confused looking Tavish following suit. Thatcher and I stood as well, and like Tavish, I was just as confused.

Kynan held out his arm over the flames, his orange eyes turning the same color of the abundant fire. "Any man willing to fight that bastard has my immediate respect," Kynan said with a wry grin that instantly made him look years younger. Thatcher clasped Kynan's forearm tightly.

"I will not become my father," Thatcher vowed firmly, his power evident in his voice. Kynan's smile only grew broader.

"I would not have committed my men to the cause if I believed you would be a tyrant, young man."

Thatcher smiled now. "I was born ten years before the Great Battle," he corrected. "Not so young."

Kynan barked out a laugh as they released each other. "No, I suppose we aren't." He clapped his hands once and gestured someone forward. Instantly the smell of food greeted my nose and I couldn't stop my stomach from growling as a sizzling hot boar was placed on a spit well over the fire, leaving enough space so everyone could be seen across the flames.

Saoirse laughed and patted my shoulder. "Now with the politics out of the way, let's feast!"

"One more thing, I'm afraid, before we begin," Thatcher interjected, his voice slightly subdued. His tone caught everyone's attention, including my own.

"Fuyher attacked the Final Eden," he announced, his eyes lifting to meet Kynan's. "My own scouts witnessed him leaving the caves and have spent the past month trying to recover from his attack upon them." Thatcher waited for this to sink in. "Fuyher left no survivors in the Eden and killed one of my scouts. He was injured before he escaped, but I highly doubt he was as wounded as my men."

"Why are you saying this?" Kynan asked, his golden eyes filled with sadness that I could understand. Thatcher's hold on me tightened and briefly I closed my eyes so I didn't lose my control in front of those here.

"My men took refuge in the Final Eden so they could regroup. We were -- are -- on our way to the Eden, before we were sidetracked. In the morning Annis and I will need to leave to find them." Thatcher hesitated and I looked up into his face to see pain etched in every line.

"Annis - Tempest - is the life mate of one of the injured men. I informed Lennox that she was my consort and mate because I had told the same to my men."

"To keep her safe," Kynan said in understanding, his eyes flickering to me briefly. "And who is this man that is injured?"

Thatcher swallowed his emotions, his face adopting a neutral mask. "He is called Tze'sic, the only son and heir of the Tze'hoc Clan. He is also very likely the only Ancient Gargoyle left."

The tension in the room expanded greatly as the Lunar took this information in. Kynan looked speechless and I saw Saoirse's eyebrows lift high up on her forehead.

Lennox looked at me, his golden eyes burning brightly. "That is why she doesn't smell of you," he said quietly, breaking the silence. "She is bound to Tze'sic by blood."

I eyed Thatcher for confirmation and he nodded. "His attack on Fuyher, if successful, has surely weakened my father. But in turn, it has also brought weakness to him. He needs his mate in order to recover fully."

All eyes in the room turned to me then, the intensity of their gazes almost driving me into a panic. Respect, confusion, fear, and so many other emotions flickered across their faces as they stared at me, each Luna measuring me up to a standard that I didn't know until that moment existed.

I knew they all had to be thinking one question and one question alone: The Ancient Gargoyle mated to a human? I swallowed hard and fought from running from the room.

"She doesn't even know what the means," Tavish sighed in disproval. "She reeks of fear."

"Tze'sic abandoned her before explaining what happened," Thatcher muttered, his voice dripping with disdain. "But she is his, for better or for worse."

"I'm standing right here," I hissed up at him, anger coiling in my chest as I glared up into Thatcher's face.

Thatcher suddenly smirked. "I guess the lizard's awake. Your eyes just turned silver."

I blinked in astonishment as something warm brush over my thoughts. Tears gathered up in my eyes as the spot below my left collarbone, the empty void that I had grown used to in the past couple of weeks, began to pulse and warm.

"I can feel him," I breathed in wonder, touching my collarbone in surprise. The coiling black anger in my chest dissipated and I tried to not scream with joy as the darkness that had clouded my mind for so long finally disappeared. Talon's presence, so unlike Thatcher's, wasn't a heady pressure or uncomfortable tension -- it was peace and warmth. That alone sent tears running down my cheeks.

I met Thatcher's eyes again and smiled so wide my cheeks were aching. "He's okay!" I laughed, hugging Thatcher tightly, unable to stop giggling.

Almost instantly, green violent envy shuddered through me and I was overcome with the urge to shove Thatcher away. I trembled as I fought my muscle's command to push, but I did take a step back.

"He's being volatile," I told Thatcher when our eyes met, rubbing my chest with the butt of my palm as foreign emotions warred with my own. "He got jealous."

Thatcher snorted out a laugh and ruffled my hair a little awkwardly. "At least he's awake."

"And for that, we should feast," Kynan interrupted, already cutting into the side of the boar.

Lennox patted his trim, furry stomach. "Thank Gods. I thought the pig was just for decoration," he joked.

We laughed and I watched as Thatcher turned away so I couldn't see his expression. I took his hand in my own and felt the jolt through our touch.

When his eyes turned back to me, I saw the hurt in them, the brown of his eyes a little darker than before. I squeezed his hand and smiled at him.

'You know that I love you,' I told him in my head.

Thatcher's lips thinned briefly before he pulled me back into his arms, holding me tightly to him.

"I know you do. You just love Tze'sic more."

I couldn't respond to that and was broken apart from Thatcher by Saoirse, who was eager to eat and talk about getting me an honorary shendyt, which was apparently what Saoirse called her kilt and robe dress.

When I was finally able to pry myself away from the food and the company, the moon was already high in the sky and my eyes itched from the smoke from the fire and lack of sleep. I excused myself from Saoirse's side and began to pull on my coat and boots.

I had just tugged on my gloves when a clawed furry hand rested on my forearm. I looked up in surprise to see Lennox and smiled. The leader-in-training may have ordered me to be held at knifepoint, but he had a legitimate reason. Many of his herd had died in the Great Battle and Lunar in general did not trust easy. Despite that, he was a good host and had many jokes and stories to share. "I'm just turning in for the night," I explained. "Thatcher and I appreciate your family's hospitality, and I'm sure the Raspans do as well."

Lennox waved that off, his expression somber despite the party that was taking place. "It was nothing. Duty to serve and all that." He then leveled me with a heavy gaze, his golden eyes flashing. "I'm not usually one to deliver a shaman's advice, Tempest, but listen to what I have to say."

I blinked at his solemnity but nodded. Thatcher had told me during dinner that the Lunar were extremely wise and their advice, when given, was something to take note of. Anything Lennox had to share, I would definitely take to heart.

"Sometimes, we're bound to people out of duty," Lennox murmured quietly. "My parents were. They respect one another and this family, but it is no secret that they have others whom they share their furs with." Lennox's eyebrows lifted slightly as he waited for that to sink in. When it did, my face flushed with embarrassment. "But some people, Tempest, are bound to one another by a bond much deeper than flesh or blood." He hesitated then, as though he was rethinking his words. "Your Thatcher is bound to you for both love and his commitment to your safety. Everyone in this camp can see that."

He dropped my arm and stepped away. "I understand your duty, Tempest, and I can see you are faithful to your Gargoyle. But I also see fear." Lennox tilted his head, his ears twitching slightly as he caught the sounds of the conversations in the background. His eyes turned distant and when he spoke, his words were so hoarse that I strained to hear. "Sometimes the path so clearly laid out is not always the right course to follow. When life begins to fall into place, question why. And do not be so trustful of those whom you may meet. Such naivety could lead you into trouble not so easily amended."

Lennox then blinked, the cloudy look in his eyes fading. Shaking his head as though to clear it, he laughed nervously and patted my shoulder. Lennox then gestured out towards the large rock dome of a hill in the distance. "The one you're looking for is there. It's a lookout point. Follow the path out of camp heading west and a trail will lead you to the cave. See you in the morning."

With that, he joined the party again, accepting a cup of the sweet wine that I had more than my fill of from one of the young male scouts, laughing at a joke the man made as he sat back down on the furs beside his father.

Shakily, numbly, and in a stage of confusion, I followed Lennox's directions towards the outlook.

Nothing of what Lennox said made any sense. And the weird look on his face...like he was seeing something I wasn't...it sent chills running down my spine. I rubbed away the goose bumps on my arms through my jacket and shook the Lunar male's warnings away to clear my head. I already had too much to think about, let alone Lennox's "wisdom."

Soon I was stumbling uphill to the cave, breathing hard by the time I got to the top. From here I could both smell and hear the Raspans as they burrowed down for the night.

After ducking under the small entrance into the cave, I waited until my eyes adjusted to the darkness before moving in further.

Thatcher was on the north end of a small fire facing the flames, already huddled up in the thick blankets from our packs. His shoes and our packs were leaned against the far cave wall, his heavy jacket resting on top.

Thatcher was tending to the fire, adding kindling to make sure the flames lasted throughout the night. I toed off my boots and set them beside his before grabbing a large blanket to wrap around my shoulders. I hesitantly sat beside Thatcher and watched the lines of his face tense.

"You're upset," I murmured, looking at the fire now.

"I have a lot on my mind," he replied coldly.

I flinched a little. Okay, so he was really upset.

"Does it have to do with me?" I asked.

Thatcher poked one log especially hard with his makeshift poker. "It always comes back to you," he muttered.

I eyed him then. "What does that mean?" I asked hesitantly, too tired and dizzy to take offense.

Thatcher tossed the poker into the flames and watched it burn. "I don't know," he said after a while. "It's just something I've been thinking. Everything kicked into motion the moment you met Tze'sic. I don't believe the meeting wasn't coincidence, Tempest, but if not coincidence, then what else could it be?"