World of Ranicke Bk. 02 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eventually he woke up and sighed. He really was getting to old for this and knew that he didn't have much time left on this earthly plane. When it was going to be his time he didn't know but it wasn't too far down the road and that bothered him. Yes there were a few people in the clan that sort of worked as his assistants but none of them were actual Mystics as he was.

They went back into the caravan and the Mystic had the Stone master remove the insulation and he quickly mentally felt the stone. He had already prepared a sort of felt tip reed with ink and with his eyes closed he started marking the stone. He divided it into six segments and on three of them he drew some symbols along with specifics on how they were to be carved into the stone. He finally finished and drew the blanket across the stone and collapsed in the chair. "Your turn Shaman."

Thomas looked at the Mystic and walked over and picked him up. "Please excuse the indignity but you need to eat and get some sleep." He carried the male out and tucked him into his chair and passed out some orders and the Warriors lifted the chair and took him back to his caravan and tucked him into bed and then helped to feed him. He was looking so old and frail and they were very concerned about him. It would be reported to both the healers and Chief.

~~~

Over the next week the three Masters worked hard to get the stones ready for use. The first stone didn't need much work since they were just going to try communicating but the second stone had to be tuned for the best effect and that took time. Eventually they finished with the stones and started working on how best to use it. There were going to be elements of both the Shaman's powers and the Mystic's powers were needed to do the final tuning on the stone to call them back.

It had taken two long weeks for them to get the stone carved and the spells, for lack of a better word, designed. They were finally ready for the first test with the communication stone. It was placed on the table on top of a velum that had a number of drawings and sketches on it. The Shaman and Mystic told everyone to get well away just in case something went wrong. Both held their hands towards the stone and started murmuring quietly.

They were in that position for a while before the stone started glowing and with a puff of smoke broke into a number of pieces and turned a dull gray as the power in it died. Both males collapsed and were quickly seen to and tucked into warm beds and given some thick broth and some warm restorative drinks.

The chief told them to rest for a couple of days and when the healer said it was okay for them to take the next step then they could. He wanted them back but he wasn't going to kill someone in the process and both the males were old enough that very few knew their ages or even what their names were. They simply went by Shaman and Mystic and that had been pretty much since before Moran had been born. Both were at least a thousand turns old or older.

~~~

It was several days later when the second attempt was made. They had felt Jim's mind but something was keeping them from actually connecting to his mind and at least passing a message through to him. This time since they were using a much more powerful stone they were not going to be next to it just in case. The velum would have a trigger sequence and a sort of time delay so they could get away and everyone would be kept well away from the caravan just in case the stone did explode.

The power contained in the stone was sufficient to destroy everything in the near vicinity. It would be hard on the tent and caravan but they had traces of the signature as well and they didn't want to chance changing something due to that. They chose to start early morning since they didn't know how long it might take or how big of a power flare there might be. It was also because most people wouldn't be up as of yet.

The morning arrived and the two carefully laid the velum on the table and positioned the stone. The Stone Master triggered the stone and quickly left. The Mystic and Shaman did their bit and were picked up and hurried down to the Chief's tent to wait till something happened.

The stone started gently glowing and pulsing till it settled down to a solid glow and people moved even further from the caravan. They could feel the power flowing out from it and some of them could feel the stone sort of testing them for brief moments. Once the stone had the signature of the tribe it started following the faint signature it detected to the missing tribes member.

Little did anyone know, even the Shaman, the totem spirits were gathering around the stone and staring at the stone. Suddenly there was a flash of light and once it faded there was a group of people standing there. Three of them were extremely happy and the six were more than shocked.

Both Dan and Jim had their rifles up and Bear had a large knife in one hand. The others were gathered around Sorrel and Alon and the humans all looked utterly shocked. Jim took a quick look around and smiled. He reached over to Dan and gently pushed the barrel down as he lowered his rifle. "Peace Dan this is my tribe and we need to get to the Chiefs caravan.

For a brief moment there was a final pulse from the stone before it settled down to a faint glow and Jim glanced down and laughed. "Pick your sword up Dan and your tomahawk Bear. The rest of the stuff can go into that caravan behind you. It is mine and they won't be bothered."

As he was speaking Dan with an ease of years of use picked the sword up and slung it and made sure it didn't obstruct the rifle. "Let's go and let them know that whatever they did sort of over did it. You will be welcome in my caravan till they can undo some of what they did." Outside the walkways the rain was coming down reasonably hard and they could easily see the flow of water in the ditches that lined the pathways and around the various caravans.

As soon as they approached the Chief's caravan Jim called out. "Moran we are back with a few extra's." He approached the entrance and Nasha was there first and hurried down one or two steps and launched herself at him. When she hit he had to oofh and went down under her weight.

Nasha had heard him and was shocked when she had seen him and without think launched herself at him. It was sort of like a dog greeting her master who had been gone for so long. She really hadn't meant to take him out but she was more than pleased to see him and the first thing she did was give his face a good tongue bath. As she was doing that others were coming out and looking at the other group in shock.

Nasha was crying and laughing as she was licking one ear clean. Jim was wiggling and making funny ears. "Gah, not my ears you silly woman.." When she lightly nipped the ear she was working on Jim quite wiggling since he knew he would get another nip if he did. Since he was facing the group he grinned. "This is my second mate Nasha who I had twins with just recently." He worked his fingers into her fur at the back of her neck and finally lightly grabbed her scruff. "I love and missed you as well lady but I need to get up and do some introductions."

She finally let him up and he held an arm out to Nora and she hurried over. Jim gave her a good kiss and hug before wrapping an arm around the two of them. He noticed the kids and gave them a warm smile. "Let me make some introductions and then I will come and give you all a good hug and kiss." Jim looked at Moran who was holding his daughter and Alon was in Sheeha's arms and holding on for all he was worth.

"Moran I would like to introduce you to some strays, I mean friends that whatever wonder you managed brought with." He looked down at his ladies. "Go stand with Moran and Nasha if your tail goes any fast you might loose it." He grinned at her and licked her short muzzle as she growled at him before the two women walked over to chief Moran. Jim walked over to the humans standing there.

"First off this gentleman is Danilo Legarith and he goes by Dan. He is a warrior much as I was when I arrived. The beautiful lady next to him is his mate Nang and ruler of all things home related." He smiled at her and she grinned back.

"Darn straight and I make Dan toe the line when he is at home." That got a laugh from a number of ladies in the crowd and a few groans from the males. "The two lovely children behind them are their children Allie and Ana. Allie would be approximately 65 turns old and Ana about 45 turns old though it is hard to match up due to the way our children develop here compared to back at my home planet."

He waved Pam and Bear up to the front. "The older gentleman is Bobby Allen Walking Bear and goes by Bear. He is a Shaman of his people as well as a healer. I have no idea what his totem animal is and it is none of my business. This pretty lady is Pam and is a very good friend of mine. Her mate died a number of years ago when he fell and hit a rock the wrong way." Jim gave her a good hug.

He turned to Dan and the others and introduced the major players from the tribe. As he expected Master Jaksos, the warrior leader, stepped forward and gave Dan a good look. "What is your spirit animal and how did you earn it."

Jim turned to Dan and smiled. "This is normal of anyone claiming to be a warrior. Hand me the rifle and your sword and take your shirt off and show them the tattoo." The scars alone would show that he had been in any number of fights.

Dan gave him a look since Jim knew he disliked taking his shirt off in public but complied. "Don't drop her." He told Jim as he pulled the massive sword off his back and handed it to Jim who hung it from a shoulder. Dan then handed him the rifle and shrugged out of the lose shirt and turned so his shoulder could be seen. A murmur came from the tribe since Dan was still very well muscled though not quite as much as when he was younger.

Nang turned and frowned at the crowd and with a clear carrying sound spoke. "He is mine. Feel free to look but if anyone tries to hit on him I will rip your tail off." Her voice was firm and even but it was obvious that she was serious.

Jim had to shake his head slightly. "Master Jaksos Dan was a member of our military called the 917th Pheonix force and the team he worked with was called the Hell Hounds. Their symbol is what you see on his shoulder."

The warrior master walked forward and carefully looked at it and glanced at the tattoo and shuddered a bit. "That is one mean looking spirit animal." He looked down at Dan since he was taller by a fair amount. "May I see your weapon?" Dan contemplated him and then nodded.

Jim smiled as he held the sheath to him. "I will warn you that it is damn heavy Jaksos so be careful when you draw it."

As the Master pulled the blade out and gasped since the blade was obviously made from metal and in their world it was a precious resource. Once the entire blade was free he had to swear since he almost dropped the tip due to the weight. His eyes were round as he lifted it point upwards. "Lady above this is the sword of a Masters Master." They didn't have a concept of a leader above the tribal or clan level. He carefully slide the blade home. "I accept you as a warrior and would enjoy sparing with you one of these days though not with this monster. I don't have any urge to go home with bits and pieces sliced off." He gave Dan a slight smile.

Dan pulled his shirt on and then casually slung the sword as he gave a slight smile back. "That would be in really bad taste if I did. I would hate to irritate the healers or your Chief by doing that." Both men shared a smile and then the Warrior moved back.

Jim was starting to feel really hungry and his stomach grumbled. "Moran if it wouldn't be a problem could we get some food even if it is only sandwiches. We just ate but moving from my world to this drained our energy." He waved his friends forward as he was talking and settled down in front of the children.

Moran smiled at him. "Absolutely." He started to look up when Thomas sighed.

"I know, before you bother I will go and take care of it." He heaved another sigh as if he was being put upon. "All I do is slave away and never get any sort of recognition. Such is the life of a lowly warrior such as myself." There was a twinkle in his eyes though as he turned away.

Jim was laughing. "Just remember you are the leader of the latrine detail so you have some rank." That got a fist waved at him before the kids took him down and he started laughing. "I have missed all of you as well and try not to kill your Poppe in your excitement of seeing me. I would hate to have my ancesteral stick saying something like 'loved to death by his kids while greeting him back to the tribe'."

He looked over his shoulders at the girls and they were almost frozen in place. "If you would like to come over and say hello that would be fine though... Ouch!! You little devil watch those claws." That was to Balos and he had to tickle the boy in revenge. As he was playing Nasha came out with their twins and Sorrel with their daughter. He carefully removed the kids in his lap and stood up and walked over to the two ladies.

The first child was his and Sorrel's and he held her close and lightly nuzzled her which she returned. Morgan looked to be maybe three years old. "Poppe I's missed you." Her little arms were wrapped around his neck and she was crying.

Nang and Pam came over and looked at her. "What a lovely child. Yours Jim? Nang reached out and lightly stroked her hair and Morgan gave her a shy look. "You have such cute little ears." Nang stroked them and Pam joined in though she leaned lightly against Sorrel.

"She is our child and her name is Morgan and is about three years old." Sorrel gave her a light tickle and the little girl giggled back and squealed. "Mamma that tickles." When Sorrel stopped she was still giggling a bit though she didn't say anything.

Jim lightly ruffled her ears before turning to Nasha and took one of the pups and held Keirie close to his cheek and stroked her tiny ears. Her hand wrapped around his thumb and held on. By this time Dan and Bear were standing there. "This is my daughter Keirie and that is my son Eilios." Bear moved over to Nasha and the baby she was holding and Dan was next to Jim.

It was odd that the different species could interbreed but he didn't comment on that. Dan leaned over slightly and stroked her cheek and she turned her head towards the touch and bit him. Dan jerked his finger back and frowned as he was sucking on it. "I am sorry kiddo but I am not edible and you would find me tough and chewy."

Both Jim and Nasha started snickering. "Sorry Dan It didn't occur to me that you didn't know that touching their cheek like that sort of triggers the urge to nurse." He was grinning as Dan growled slightly at him.

Nasha leaned against Jim. "Remember your first training accident with a baby?" She was thinking back at the time Piquel showed him his son.

"Yes I do and I also remember the healer laughing her tail off as she bandaged my finger. To make it even worse was Thomas leaving me the 'beat by a baby in training' bracelet." He glowered for a moment and grinned at Dan. "I got bit by a puma cub who was about the same age." Jim spotted the healer and waved her over. "We have another training accident with a baby. Can you take care of him."

She snickered and then looked at Dan. "To bad we are both taken or I would invite you over for a meal." Manlaso took a look at the finger and with a teasing tsk she put a small bandage on it. "Silly males getting bit by babies." She patted Dan on the shoulder and with a grin walked over to Sorrel and greeted her and the little girl.

Dan made a fist at him and shook it. "I will get you back for that Jim. You are an evil human and I should kick your butt around a training circle." It was obvious he was trying not to laugh Nang came over and gave him a peck. She didn't say anything but tickled the pups ears.

"You have some really cute children Jim." She looked at Nasha and smiled. "May I hold him please?" When Nasha handed him over Nang carefully took him and held him close and continued stroking his ears and hair. The boy opened his eyes and she raised an eyebrow. "He has lovely eyes and I assume he got them from Jim?"

Nasha nodded and then took the boy back. "You arrived right as I was getting ready to nurse them so if you will excuse me." She started to turn away when the Mystic walked up.

"Your caravan is safe to live in again. It and the area surrounding it had nothing to do with this." He coughed slightly. "I will talk to you tomorrow since I am tired and going to bed." He slowly climbed into the caravan and had a small smile since he had found his replacement.

Moran had over heard the Mystic's comment and smiled. "Well the food is coming here so why don't you eat here and I will have Thomas and some of the warriors take all the bedding and things back to your caravan."

Thomas sighed. "I am a warrior darn it. I am not designed for manual labor. I think I am going to complain to someone." He pretended to smack his head. "But who would I complain to? That is the Chief giving orders oh well. At least I can spend the evening with my lady." He was grinning and Moran shook his fist at him for good measure. "Go relax and treat your friends to a good meal and I will take care of this for you." He turned away and called for several warriors to help. "Kids pack your things up and we will take it back to your caravan."

Jim smiled and leaned over to Nasha. "He is so getting a 'not good enough for manual labor' bracelet or necklace. She wrinkled her nose at him and took Keirie from him. "Back eventually Mr. 'not brave enough for diaper duty'."

He rolled his eyes. "I do change diapers darn it. Now why don't we sit down since the food smells like it is on it's way here." A number of tables were being brought over and chairs placed around them. "Sit where you want though Dan and Nang if you would sit with my mates and I will discuss sleeping arrangements with you." They led them to the largest table. He had to smile when several of the children urged Pam and Bear to some of the tables they were using. The elf girl crawled up in his lap and wrapped her arms around him and curled up and quickly fell asleep.

Dan looked at her and smiled. "Another child of yours?" He had noticed the pointed ears and pixie like face and knew she wasn't human or totally human.

Nasha shook her head. "No, she lost her parents a while back and when Yim adopted a number of the orphans he also told the children he was helping teach if their parents weren't around to find him. He told them that he would help them as much as possible. Since Yim is a Journeyman Songsmith and she is being trained to use her voice she sort of became one of our children." Her voice was quiet as Jim stroked the little girls hair.

Dan nodded at Nasha and then gave Jim a very warm smile. "I was horrified when you were listed as missing but I am glad you were drawn to this world. It seems to have given you a new lease on life and you seem far more content than you did back in ours." He looked around and other than sighing at the rain he was feeling very relaxed as well. "I almost wish we could stay but we have the girls to think about as well. I would love to be able to leave my past behind as well."

Nang curled a hand around one of his arms and leaned against him. "Almost makes me think of my village in Mayalasia. I could see living here and I think the girls would do fine. Yes they would have to learn new things but do you really want them growing up in our world?"

Jim had to smile. "I will warn you it is one hell of an adjustment the first few weeks. One thing that shocked and horrified me was the communal bathing. The first bath I had there was a very healthy Kitsune female, Thomas, and one or two others in the hot spring and everyone was nude. Also since I have so many kids we have one tent for the littles which is pretty much anyone under the equivalent of 13 or so. Once they hit about that age they move to the big kids tent where it is separated into the female and male sections by a tent divider.