World of Ranicke Bk. 03 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Sheeha came over and checked on the children she gave Ana and Allie a light hug. "I can give both of you a light massage if you would like. I am sure you are probably feeling worn and tired after all the work today." She liked the two girls even though they were fairly quiet. Both had an active sense of humor and a good outlook on life.

Allie stretched and groaned. "I would absolutely not say no to that Sheeha. If I didn't get a massage this evening I would probably wake up as stiff as a board in the morning." Before Saulo could say anything she glowered at him. "Don't even off since I know you just want to get your hands on my body."

Saulo looked at her and winked. "Of course I like giving you back massages. It means you have to return the favor and you have such skilled hands." He winked at her and Nasha lightly bopped him which made him grunt. "Momma Nasha I was teasing and you know it." He lowered his ears in embarrassment.

Everyone laughed at that and returned to eating.

~~~

For the next week the boy didn't have any dreams and was actually sleeping very well. He was still being very careful with the reading and research he was doing. As he had been reading the old books and prophecies he had also come across several manuscripts. They were treatise on engineering, medicine, and advanced math. Those fascinated him and how he had wished he had found them sooner. Partially since they gave him a very good reason to be in the library but also because they interested him.

Once he had found them he had almost torn the library apart to see what else they might have. As it ended up there wasn't a great deal more on those subjects. Most of the books were geography, history, laws, and boring fighting books. He carefully dropped a few hints on his interest with the subjects. It would have to be done over time but eventually his tutors would come to think it was their idea to include those subjects.

Since he had that Saturday off he stayed up somewhat later reading another fascinating book. It was talking about something called a spirit guide or spirit helper. That was not something he had ever heard of before and contradicted the empire's official religion. It was frustrating since the book didn't define what a spirit helper was and he was almost out of books to read.

Eventually he crawled into bed after ensuring the books were secured in his pouch. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep and when he did he was immediately drawn into the pool of light. This time there was a sense of identity in it. He assumed that it was related to his naming the voice. As he was contemplating the feel of the light the voice spoke again.

"Thank you for naming me. It has given me identity but now I need purpose. Can you tell me what my purpose is?" The voice sounded stronger and less lost. There was still a longing as if something was still missing from the being. "Can you give me purpose?"

The boy floundered at that. What sort of purpose could he give something from the beyond? Was this a spirit helper the book was talking about? If so how would it manifest? He couldn't exactly be followed around by a flame with a voice coming from it. That would get him killed as a witch in a matter of moments and the death would not be nice. "Are you a spirit helper?"

When the boy asked that there was a subtle surge in the flame and he could almost see a glowing set of eyes. They were staring hard at him which terrified him. There was a vague shape but he didn't recognize it at all. All he could tell was it had a vague animal shape to it and it was a very large animal. When the voice responded there was a subtle change to it. "Yes I am."

"Then your purpose is to guide me as I grow so I can save my people." There was a surge of energy and a growl from what was changing to golden red flames.

"I claim you, Zephra Slan Perskia of the Zetheron, as the destroyer of my child. I geas you to obey his commands and to learn from him. Change your ways or you will perish in the most horrible way possible, your spirit will be removed from the father god's list and cast into the void to never return. As a sign of your purpose you will be marked when you wake. Search for my reborn child and protect him from all and you might survive this curse." By the time the voice was done speaking it was a definite roar.

Zephra shrunk back in fear since he knew not what this being was speaking of. "Who are you and how will I know your child?" His voice was as firm as he could make it though it was weak and shaky. It wasn't everyday he was threatened like this.

"I am the Bear and you will know him by the matching sign he will have. Now go and find him." The boy was flung out of the flames and when he woke up his body was twitching and aching. On his chest he felt a burning sensation. When he looked he found a black marking that had a stylized animal head in full roar. There were some other markings but he didn't know what they meant.

~~~

The man landed with a thump on his feet. The moment his feet hit the ground he squatted down and looked around. When he realized he was in a forest he relaxed since he had good cover. After looking around for several minutes he finally stood and glanced at his body. On his feet were laced on sandals, a short leather skirt secured by a wide leather belt that had a pouch on one side and a heavy dagger on the other. Over his chest he had a snug leather vest and over his shoulder was a baldric that he found contained an axe in it.

Theik-Lekal adjusted the axe and checked his surroundings. He knew that he needed to find someone though he had no idea who it was. All he knew was that he was being drawn in a certain direction and he had to go that way to find whatever was drawing him. With one last look around he picked up a bag that was on the ground next to him and stepped out onto a road that was close by and started walking along it.