Writer's Block Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Becks smiled brightly from behind the counter and started making my tea before I could even say hello. We chatted and made plans for the weekend. Since the day was so perfectly beautiful I took my tea out to the patio to hash out my ideas for the next story.

The rest of the world disappeared, as always happens when I write, so it took me a moment to process what was occurring when a fresh mug of tea was plunked down on the table next to mine and the seat across from me was occupied by a long pair of denim clad legs. I looked up from my laptop to see Sim smiling brightly at me, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

"Hey."

I froze like the proverbial deer in the headlights.

"So I've been thinking," Sim's voice was smooth and pitched lowly. He spoke each word with deliberate care, as if he were afraid I would bolt. "I think Logan, Richardson, & Monk needs an erotic imprint. I want you to help me start one."

"Excuse me?" I stammered; why did Simeon Forster have the power to make me forget even the simplest sentences? Likefuck off.

"Erotica is one of the fastest growing phenomena in publishing, Imogen. If Logan, Richardson, & Monk doesn't get on board now they'll miss it altogether. Think about it! There's a lot of money to be made, a lot of authors to be heard. Right now we don't handle anything like that, but we definitely have the potential to introduce the world to some very high class erotica; I'm not talking like stroke magazine smut here, but the good stuff. Dad thinks it's a great idea too, so I need your help to pitch some ideas to the big guys upstairs."

I held up a hand to stop Sim's flow of words. It was the most I'd ever heard him speak at one time and I had to admit I liked the melodic sound of his voice, even if I didn't quite comprehend what he was saying. "How do I fit into this?"

"You're an author, Imogen. The authors write the books and then I publish the books."

I smiled faintly at Sim's teasing. "I know that, but you don't even know what sort of author I am! You've read a few paragraphs over my shoulder; that's not enough for you to base an entire career-changing idea on!"

Sim smiled. "Actually, I popped 'round to see Linda Swartz yesterday, so with the exception of your last couple of chapters, I've read the whole thing."

I buried my head in my hands and fought the wave of nausea which washed over me. "You've read it?"

Sim patted my hand reassuringly. "Yeah, and it's great! With a little tweaking it could be brilliant. I talked to Linda about the imprint and she's on board with the whole thing. Says if I can manage to get it going she'll come work for me."

Sweet Mother Mary.I groaned and shook my head, wary to make eye contact with the man across from me, afraid of what he had the power to make me agree to with his sexy smile and his smooth voice.

"Look, Sim. I really appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm a nobody in this industry, a newbie. There isn't anything I can offer you that the others can't. You need to get yourself an established erotic author; surely Linda can help you with that."

"Well, I don't want an established erotic author; I want the one sitting across from me." Sim chuckled warmly and I looked up at him, drawn by the sound. "I'm not asking you to write me an award-winning novel, Imogen. I just need someone who understands this industry a little bit and who is enthusiastic about it. I need to research the field and get some facts down before I present to the board. I have to do my homework on erotica and I want you to help me."

"Why?"

My question caught Sim off guard and he sat quietly for a moment to consider me. "Honestly?" he asked after a time. I nodded. "What you write excites me."

I snorted in a most un-ladylike way.

"Not like that!" Sim added quickly, ignoring my look of scepticism. "Okay, well it does excite me like that, quite a lot actually, but it's also the first thing I've read in a long time that excites the editor in me. I read a lot of manuscripts and lately I've been starting to despair about the state of authors in this country. And then along comes you, with your cute little sundresses and your big, blue eyes; you look so sweet and innocent, but you write so dirty. It's exciting, compelling and I know I'm not the only one who'll respond to it."

I watched in silence, pleased to see him squirm a little when I didn't respond right away.

Sim tried his brilliant smile on me again, and once more I was struck by how similar it was to his father's. "You're young, talented, and cute as hell. The board members are going to love you. This is a touchy subject we're bringing up to them, as I'm sure you know. Logan, Richardson, & Monk is a stuffy, old company with stuffy, old ideas and you're my ace in the hole, so to speak."

"O-kay," I said slowly, trying not to reveal the little spark of curiosity Sim had lit in me. "So what's in this for me?"
Sim smiled crookedly. "A steady pay cheque for a while at least, the once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the face of mainstream Canadian publishing, a publishing contract once the imprint is viable, and you get to spend time with me."

"Okay," my mouth agreed before my brain could think.

Sim's jaw dropped. "Okay? Like,okay, okay? You're agreeing?"

I nodded slowly, still not sure why I'd just said yes. "I have conditions though."

Sim smiled sardonically. "I was expecting that."

"I expect equal say in things," I said quickly. "Half-and-half; if you want us to be partners in this project then I expect it to be fair." He nodded as I continued. "You also need to know that if this is some clever ploy to get into my pants it won't succeed. I've already told you I'm not that sort of girl." Sim arched an eyebrow but said nothing. "And I'm not sure you completely understand what you're getting yourself into," I smiled widely. "The world of erotica is a strange place, Sim Forster. Think you're ready for it?"

It took a moment, but Sim nodded slowly.

"Alright," I stood up, downing the rest of my now-cold tea with a gulp. I collected my purse and laptop. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" Sim asked slowly; he sounded confused. I tried not to smile too hard at having the upper hand for once. I liked it.

"Back to my place," I said with a laugh, watching as the confusion danced across Sim's face. "We're going to go read some porn together."

-------

12