Yellowstone Discovery

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But then I laughed and said, "Of course my wife is going to have something to say about that."

He got a surprised look on his face, "You got married? Congratulations. When did that happen?"

I told him last August and asked him if he was still single? He just shook his head and said he was just too busy to get serious about anyone.

"So tell me, what's her name?" He asked smiling.

"Come on Josh, you know her. Debbie Koenigsknecht, you introduced me to her before I left school. Remember?"

"Of course I remember. She was Miranda's roommate all through college. So did you two hook up again after graduation?" He asked puzzled.

"Hell no, Josh. I wasn't going to let her get away after I met her. We dated all through Debbie's last two years in school and in fact we got engaged just before she started her senior year."

Josh's face seemed to go through a series of emotions that I couldn't decipher before he said weakly, "Oh, I never heard that."

Suddenly he looked at his watch and said he was out of time and had to get going. I walked him out the door but before he got away I asked him for his business card and said I would like to call him. He said, "Sure, sure." Shook my hand and strode briskly away.

At the time I wondered about his sudden urgency to leave. And I did call him a couple of times the following month to see about getting together. Both times he said he had conflicts and he would call me back but he never did.

Now thinking about his reaction with the other bits and pieces of things that were coming to mind and my discovery this morning, I now realized that he was shocked by the news of the two of us getting married. I suspected he knew something about Debbie and left to avoid talking about her. And it followed that whatever he knew wasn't good.

I pulled his business card out of my wallet and contemplated it for a few minutes before I made up my mind. Being Monday I knew he should be in the office. I picked up the phone in the kitchen and quickly dialed his number. When he answered the phone I said quietly, "Josh, this is Dave."

"Oh, hey Dave, what's up?" He said warily.

"I was hoping we could get together this week when you're in the area." I said.

"Uh, I don't think this going to be a good week."

"Look Josh, I know you are blowing me off. And I am pretty sure I know why. I am finding out some things about Debbie that I am pretty sure you are aware of. And I would really like to talk to you about it." I said simply.

There was silence on the line for a couple of minutes before he said, "Are you sure you really want to do that Dave? Wouldn't it be better to leave it in the past?"

"No Josh. Because whatever it is I think it is still going on. Now we were good friends once, and I trust you to be honest."

There was more silence on the line, when finally he said, "Okay Dave, I can re-arrange my schedule and be up there tomorrow. Will that work?"

"That would be great Josh. Let's meet at the Westgate Tavern over by the assembly plant. You know where it is?"

"Sure, the earliest I could get there is about one."

"Thanks Josh. I know you don't want to do this but it means a lot to me."

We hung up and I went back about my business getting things squared away from the Yellowstone trip. I thought about working on a couple of house projects that I was in the middle of but I thought what the hell? Does it even mean anything anymore?

The next day I got to bar a just before one and settled into a booth. About fifteen minutes later Josh walked in and spotted me. He walked over, shook my hand and sat down without smiling.

"Beer and a burger?" I asked.

He nodded and we placed an order and for a few minutes just stared into our glasses. Finally I said, "Why don't I tell you about my life from the time I met Debbie until we were married. Then you can talk about what you saw from your viewpoint at college, okay?"

I went through the story of the year we dated, the breakup and our reconciliation. I told him how much I loved her and how hard I worked to make her mine. I told him about our engagement and the year leading up to the wedding. How happy it had all made me. I talked about the ups and downs and all the little things that had happened that I now questioned.

When I finished, Josh cleared his throat and said, "I guess I don't see where your concern is Dave."

Then I related the story of the Yellowstone trip and what I found when I cleaned out the van, and the conclusion I couldn't hide from.

When I finished, Dave looked disgusted, "Shit, women!" and shook his head.

He hesitated for a few minutes then said, "Did you know I still see Miranda from time to time?" I shook my head no.

"She still lives in her hometown of Milwaukee but gets to Chicago on business occasionally. Anyway after you and I ran into each other and you told me about getting married, I called her and arranged to get together for dinner the next time she was in town.

Usually she is pretty friendly, her and I went out several times back in college, even slept with her once and still managed to remain friends. But as soon as I told her I ran into you she tried to clam up. I got angry with her and accused her and Debbie of trying to railroad you. I made her feel so bad she finally let it all out. And you know I think she was relieved. Miranda and Debbie were roommates the last three years of college. And it turns out Miranda was the only one that Debbie confided in about you. I have to warn you Dave, some of it is pretty ugly."

"Can't be any uglier than my imagination." I said bitterly.

"Well, only you can be the judge of that." He said uncomfortably.

"You never knew that I spent the first semester of our junior year doing overseas study in Europe. That's kind of why you and I lost touch. When I finally got back for the second semester I had forgotten that you and Debbie dated before you left school. Debbie was carrying on like she did the previous year, going out a couple of times a week.

But this time her dating was more serious. She would date a guy for a month or so. As soon as he started getting serious she would dump him. And she was sleeping with these guys and it wasn't any big secret. I suspect Miranda was almost as bad. Anyway Miranda said Debbie just couldn't stay away from guys even though she was dating you back home. She told Miranda she had the best of both worlds, a guy back home who loved her and the freedom of being four hundred miles away to do anything she wanted.

Then she screwed you over to go to Texas with Miranda for spring break. A bunch of frat guys from school were going down and they invited Debbie and Miranda to join them. I guess Debbie didn't think much about it until she got back and you wouldn't have anything to do with her. She couldn't stand that. She told Miranda she was going to do everything she could to get you back.

Then when Debbie came back for their senior year she told Miranda she was engaged to you. Miranda thought that meant everything had changed. But it hadn't. Debbie picked right back up where she left off in the spring."

"But, but how was she able to hide it? She had a three quarter caret engagement ring. And at Christmas I gave her a two year old jeep and the title was in my name. Hell, she was coming back downstate almost every month to see me." I said.

Josh shrugged. "She never wore the engagement ring at school. And she told everyone her dad had given her the jeep.

Anyway the previous May before school let out for the summer, Miranda and Debbie arranged to lease a house just off campus for their senior year. Miranda's boyfriend at the time was in on the deal."

"Oh yeah, Tom. He answered the phone when I called the house one morning." I said weakly.

Josh looked at me in pity, "Miranda's boyfriend was Dan. Tom was Debbie's boyfriend. He was a holdover from the previous school year. She asked him if he would like to tag along with Dan when he moved in. They were splitting the cost four ways, not three. The four of them shared that house right up until graduation."

I put my face in my hands and tried to control my trembling. "Shit, shit, shit ..."

"There's more Dave. The four of them went to Florida on spring break together. I heard Tom paid Debbie's way since they drove her, I mean your jeep."

I shook my head, "How did she and Miranda keep me a secret from their boyfriends? I mean I was calling up there every week and writing too."

"Oh they knew Debbie was dating someone back home but she made it out to be no big deal. Miranda was the only who knew it was serious. The night before graduation a bunch of seniors had a private party at one of the frat houses. I guess Debbie and Tom spent the night by all accounts screwing each other senseless. When they got up in the morning to go to the graduation ceremony Debbie broke the news to Tom she was going back home and getting married. He didn't take it very well."

Two things came to my mind. One was the angry guy at the graduation ceremony that Debbie seemed anxious to avoid and two, the fact that Debbie wouldn't spend the night with me when we returned home that evening, just after having spent the previous night with her boyfriend. It wasn't hard to figure out why.

God, what an idiot I had been. I had been lied to from the beginning.

"How can anyone be such a cold-hearted conniving bitch and hide it so well for so long?" I whispered with tears running down my face.

Josh looked away from me and said, "I don't know Dave. She just did it. Miranda and her were friends but by the end it even shocked her. And the last thing she wanted to do was be Debbie's maid of honor and have to look you in the face. Hell, she was still dating Dan at the time of the wedding and she didn't dare bring him for fear he would let something slip."

We talked for awhile and drank another beer. I was unable to choke down any food for I suspected I would throw it all up. I knew there would be more tears later.

Finally Josh said, "What are you going to do Dave?"

"It's over Josh. Three years. Three fucking years I've invested in this relationship! Three fucking years she lied to me over and over again. She was the most important thing in my life from the day I met her. But to her our relationship apparently meant nothing!" I said bitterly.

We sat silently for a few minutes as I got myself under control. Now I understood how someone could kill in the heat of passion.

"Everything you told me is from before we got married. I have to find out what she is up to now for my own peace of mind. And maybe I will get an answer to why. Then she's history." I said with gritted teeth.

When we finally said goodbye at his car I said, "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't let Miranda know we got together. I don't want Debbie to suspect I know anything."

"Sure Dave. Call me anytime. I'm sorry about blowing you off. I just didn't want to be in the middle."

We shook hands and went our separate ways. I got home about an hour before I had to leave for my shift and just in time to catch a call from Debbie. Normally she would try to call during the day sometime and if we didn't connect I would call her during the dinner break from work.

I tried to act as normal as possible even though the sound of her voice enraged me. She teased me about which night I was going to come home early this week for a little action. I tried to sound regretful when I told her I couldn't get off any day this week due to so many people off on vacation, a lie. Then she offered to ask for Wednesday or Thursday afternoon off. Again I sadly told her I had committed to a side job both those days and wouldn't be home, another lie.

Suspecting she wouldn't take me up on it I told her I would be home all day Friday if she was interested. She hesitated for a moment then said she didn't think she could get any time off on Friday. We finally hung up after telling each other 'I love you'.

Thoughtfully I looked at the phone thinking about something John had said during the Yellowstone trip. That he was going to be working a job in Southfield all week but he laughingly whispered to me that he would be back in time for happy hour on Friday.

I looked up Kathy's work number and dialed it. When she answered I asked if John was still out of town and she said he was. I told her I wanted to borrow a couple of tools from him. She said he would be back on Friday and then commented sarcastically, probably in time for happy hour. I told her I would get with him over the weekend and hung up.

I started thinking that if Debbie and John getting together was a regular thing then they would again at the next opportunity. With John being out of town until Friday and me being home all weekend then logically Friday night was the their best shot.

Then I remembered something from early in the summer. I had gotten up on a Saturday morning before Debbie. I had taken my coffee out on the deck and the hot tub was in kind of a mess. The cover was off and a couple of empty beer cans were lying around it. A couple of damp beach towels were draped over the deck railing.

When Debbie got up I asked her about it. She got a little embarrassed and said that she had gone out for drinks after work with a couple of girls from the office and they had come back to the house and used the hot tub. She apologized about not cleaning up afterwards. Now I wondered who actually was in the tub. Several times since then she had mentioned getting together with a few girlfriends on Friday nights.

Going to bed that night after work I found I couldn't stand the thought of sleeping next to her. I ended up sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the study. She was so surprised she called me a couple of hours after getting to work to ask why I hadn't come to bed. I told her I thought I had a stomach bug and didn't want to wake her. She told me to take some Pepto-Bismol and go to sleep.

Just before she hung up she said, "By the way, have you checked the ph in the hot tub since we got back from Yellowstone?"

I told her "Nope, sure haven't."

"Can you do that, honey? I would hate for it to get too far out of whack in case we want to use it sometime." She said teasingly.

After she hung up, I thought to myself, looks like someone is going to be using the hot tub soon and it isn't going to be me. Whatever is going to go down, it looked like it was going to go down here on Friday night. I decided right then I was going to take Friday off.

That night at work I started thinking I needed some way to gather information and evidence. I knew with help from my electrician buddies I could probably bug the house but maybe not on such short notice. Then it occurred to me. The intercom system I had installed as a kid monitor.

The next morning I got some tools and started taking the intercom faceplates off. I found by just changing a couple of leads I could lock each unit into 'transmit' mode. I changed them all including the one on the deck next to the hot tub. Now the only one that would receive was the unit in my workshop over the garage. I tested them all using a portable radio. I could hear the radio in every room from the workshop. I decided to go one better and ran to the electronics shop and picked up a half dozen super sensitive miniature microphones. I replaced the units in the intercoms with them and found it increased their sensitivity by about twenty per cent.

After I finished I sat in my workshop thinking that now I had the capability to track what happens in the house, I needed to be able to capture the information. I had an old dinosaur of a reel-to-reel tape player/recorder sitting around that one of the other electricians had given me to play around with.

I had recorded some music on it and sometimes played it when I was tinkering. I got it out and put the microphone up against the intercom speaker. I tested it with the radio from a couple of the rooms in the house and played it back. It worked great. The tape reel was so big I thought it would probably hold more than six hours of recordings.

I stood up and looked out the dormer window. The garage was at such an angle I could see the backyard, the deck and inside the sliding glass door to part of the kitchen. Upstairs I could also see into the master bedroom window if the shades were up. But at night I would probably only see shadows unless the light happened to be just right. I figured sound would be enough for what I needed.

That night at work I called home like usual. Debbie and I chit-chatted for a bit, she told me how much she missed me and wished I could come home early. I acted forlorn and sad that I couldn't do it. I told her we would make up for it on the weekend. Casually she asked if the hot tub ph was okay and I told her it was - another lie. Again I slept on the hide-a-bed that night like I had all week.

On Friday Debbie called just before I should have been leaving for my shift. She said she wanted to tell me she was joining some girlfriends for a couple of drinks and maybe dinner after work. She wanted me to know in case I tried to call and she wasn't home. I told her no problem and that I was scheduled for some overtime that night so I would be a little later too.

The crass manipulation and outright lies that were now so obvious just astounded me. And she was so casual about it. How had I allowed myself to be fooled for over three years? Was it her beauty, her sexuality? Was I so in love with being in love that I was blind to everything else? Did I have some huge character flaw that allowed her to do this to me?

As I pondered those questions I moved the van to a cul-de-sac a couple of streets away behind our house. There was a path through a patch of woods in our sparsely build up residential area by which I could approach the back of our garage unseen. I let myself in through the back door and went up to the workshop. I wearily settled into an old beat-up recliner I kept up there. I leaned back and closed my eyes suddenly exhausted as several days without enough rest and constant mental stress caught up with me.

Suddenly my eyes flew open and I realized it was dark inside and outside. The noise of the garage door opening had woken me up. I looked at my watch surprised that is was almost eight o'clock. I had been asleep nearly three hours.

I tip toed over to the door leading down into the garage and opened it slightly. I saw the jeep pull in and could see the top of Debbie's head as she walked back out. I crept over to the dormer window and could see the edge of a car in the driveway and could just make out John standing in the dim illumination from the porch light. The two of them came together in an embrace and then they stepped toward the house and disappeared.

I could hear through the intercom keys rattling in the lock, the door open and a murmur of voices. I quickly flipped on the recorder and sat down on my workbench where I could look out the window and observe the back of the house.

"... just be patient!" Debbie said giggling. I heard John mumbling something in return.

"I gotta go pee. Pour me a glass of wine and grab a beer." She said as she walked through the kitchen. I heard her hit the button on the message machine on the counter as she went by and the response of 'No new messages' spit back at her.

After a minute I saw the light come on in our bedroom and saw her walk by the open window into the master bath. I could hear her tinkle, the toilet flush and water running into the sink.

Meanwhile I could also hear John rummaging around in our pantry and the clink of bottles. I could hear the cork pop as he opened the wine and poured a glass. Then the refrigerator door opened and I heard him flip the top off of a beer. I gritted my teeth as it was obvious he knew where everything was and was making himself right at home.