Young Genius Rhonda Royce

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Come through at meet the others," Celeste smiled. "My older child and her family are here."

As they stepped on to the patio leading out to the pool Charles walked swiftly to greet Rhonda and kissed her on both cheeks. Rhonda noticed the daughter looking with raised eyebrows. The daughter came over.

"Hi. I'm Glenys, the elder child. I noticed my father greeted you so warmly and yet mom said he'd only met you the once. Why is this?"

"Oh hi Glenys. Yes, little old me pouring on the charm that men appear to like. I am sorry and mean no harm. I am not attempting to seduce your father."

"Shhhh. Keep your voice down. I-I didn't really mean that. I was unsure how I felt; I guess I had never seen my father interact with a young woman so warmly and was confused."

"Okay, please relax. I understand. Here let me hug you."

"God you are so sweet and look only seventeen and yet my brother is enchanted by you."

"Well as I indicated, I do know how to work charm. Please introduce me to your family."

"What, are you interested?"

"Glenys, please, it's families that make the world go round, so to speak. Without families we humans would be extinct within four generations I believe."

"God, you are nothing like what I expected."

"Then you should have asked your mom what to expect. Celeste has my measure, I am sure."

"You call my mother Celeste?"

"Well yes, she invited me to call her that."

Glenys appeared thoroughly rattled. "Girls!"

The six and eight-year olds came running.

"This is Jenni, please say hi to Miss Royce."

"Hi Miss Royce. You have made the UGLY range famous haven't you."

"Why yes, I'm surprised you knew that. I did help to give it a push."

"Mommy told us."

"Well your mommy knows such a lot about things. You are a good girl to listen to her."

Glenys stumbled. "This is... this is..."

"I'm Katie mommy. You look lovely, very pretty Miss Royce."

"Why thank you Katie. You are wearing a tunic like me and you too Jenni."

"Mommy said you have the slim figure at the hips to carry off a tunic but I'm not sure what that means."

"It means I'm skinny below the waist which means like you two I look good in a tunic. May I fetch you another soda each?"

"No we'll play until chow time. Please be nice to mommy; her two best friends have gone to live in other cities, making her very sad."

"Yes I will Jenni. You are a darling for giving me that news."

"God you handle them better than I do and you don't have children."

"Anyone can appear to be impressive in a 10-minute immersion Glenys. Imagine me trying to cope with them when they have temperatures and are coughing, their little chests heaving?"

"You can visualize that?"

"Yes I visualize almost everything. That's how my mind works; a image sends a hundred times, perhaps much more, data to the brain than a stream of spoken or written data streamed in the same time."

"Ohmigod, I'm way out of my depth."

"If you stop to think what I have just said Glenys you will comprehend."

Glenys paused and frowned and them smiled. "Yes, you are so brilliant. I comprehend it clearly now."

Rhonda smiled and said she would try to communicate clearer. "I admire you saying you didn't understand. That enticed me to elaborate and as a result we both benefited. That is an example of how good communication works."

Glenys said, "I do understand. I'm not exactly a moron."

Rhonda looked genuinely shocked. "Oh Glenys, I had no intention..."

"Of course you didn't. It's just me feeling inadequate. Both of our children have rated highly in intelligent tests."

"You can't learn intelligence Rhonda so don't confuse that with knowledge which can be both absorbed and taught. The best you can do is to be yourself. My mother would say to be loving and giving and your children will love you for the rest of your life and beyond. I've heard her say that to women who have lost confidence."

"God, is there anything you don't know?"

"Yes heaps but I don't dwell on it. If I don't know it I can't do anything about it apart from admitting I don't know."

"Rhonda you have this ease in simplifying situations."

Rhonda sighed and said it was often the complicated manner in which many people explained things made them appear so complicated. "What you do is build a screen to suit that particular person's delivery to screen out the crap; that makes life easier."

Glenys introduced Rhonda to her husband Rick. Rhonda instinctively didn't like or trust him but she smiled warmly and said she had met their lovely and polite children. Rick didn't bother to acknowledge the compliment.

The evening went well. Charles produced a fillet of steak off the gas cooker as well as roasted vegetables and Celeste arrived with gravy and greens from the kitchen. It was quite the nicest meal Rhonda had sampled for quite some time and she said so, earning smiles from her host and hostess.

She left with Rick and his family at 9:15 with the children by then almost asleep.

"You can't leave me this early," Mark complained.

Rhonda kissed him and whispered, "Early nights can be beneficial but help your parents clear away first."

"Yes Miss Royce. You are so much on the ball."

* * *

Rhonda came away from Monday's executive meeting feeling a little depressed. Company's president Richard Lane had read the riot act saying company revenues had fallen to such an extent that some firings might be necessary within three weeks unless there was a revival in revenue generation. His last words were, "Pull something out of the box to make our day Rhonda."

She was appalled. It sounded like she was to blame and yet the previous week Richard produced figures that showed for the year to date the youth department had produced 27% of total income particularly as a result of its UGLY campaign billings.

Rhonda found an elderly man in an old suit waiting for her when she returned to her office after the depressing meeting. He appeared to have breakfast remains down the front of his jacket.

"Oh hi, may I get you coffee?"

"You mean you'll fetch it yourself?"

"Yes my PA is busy verifying accounts to be sent through for billing. I have only to walk over here to pour."

"You look far too young to be discussing business with me."

"Well it's your choice. If you want to consult this company on adverting or promotion related to youth you talk to me or go to another agency. It's as simply as that but please stay to chat while finishing this coffee."

"God you're rude."

Rhonda smiled. "Shall I go to the broom cupboard to fetch something you can whack me with for failing to be totally courteous and attentive?"

"Well you did get my coffee and invited me to stay till I finish it."

"Indeed, please take your jacket off and I'll sponge it for you over this wee sink."

"Why?"

He looked down. "This is a mess. Thank you for noticing."

He handed over the jacket and put it on when it was returned. "This is outstanding client service, above and beyond the call of duty I would think."

"Anything to impress. Are you a potential big time client? Our office revenue is currently below budget and I received a kick in the butt a few minutes ago and was told to do something about it."

"I'm Max Harper."

"Hi Mr Harper. I'm..."

"I know who you are Rhonda. I'm aware of the job you did on Youthcraft. Fucking amazing if you ask me."

"Mr Harper... the F-word slipped in."

"Oh please excuse me. My senility is showing."

Rhonda laughed and said so far it was the only slip she'd noticed.

"Why aren't you pressing me for business?"

"Because I'm not that desperate and you wouldn't be here unless you intend to hand me business. So I'll just squirm in my seat, tap my foot impatiently and wait until you deliver in your own good time."

"God you have a way about you. I feel challenged."

"Well your time to relax was over coffee and your coffee cup is empty.

Mr Harper asked, "Have you heard of Anchor-the-Mind Toys?"

"Yes I have a young niece who is besotted with the teaching aid she has. That company specializes in the design, production and upgrading development of learning games for children from four to seven years, longer for slow-learners."

"You are well informed."

"I recall reading the company blurb on the pail that holds Milly's cash till and money tokens and play paper money. She plays shopping, acting as both customer and sales assistant. Do you work for the company?"

"In a manner of speaking. Although I was born in Scotland, when I was three my parents immigrated to Clifton Forge, Virginia. My father was great on ideas and making toys and roamed far and wide and sold the products that when I was older I helped him make for neighborhood play groups. We later moved to Norfolk, Virginia, and when I graduated college I founded our company that grew to sell products throughout the country and exported them to 117 countries."

"I'm very impressed."

"Well I used to be but the main sales of the company now come from war games. So I sold all my shares and pulled out of the company, retaining ownership of dad's original patents. I recruited some of my loyal supporters who joined me to get the company to revert to its original roots, but alas we failed in our mission. I expanded that group and purchased back the licenses held by my former company to produce Harper's Educational Playthings and now we are almost ready to re-launch those toy sets along with electronic versions."

"Oh my goodness, that is innovative... grandparents will purchase the solid versions while young parents might opt for the electronic versions, giving you optimum market coverage."

"You ought to be in business."

"I am, in advertising and promotion. More coffee?"

"Yes please. I'm here to ask you to devise the re-launch our Harper Playthings back on to the market."

"What just in this state?"

"No throughout the country and I wish to retain the rights to use the promotional material in other countries using other advertising agencies with the finger on the pulse of their country."

Rhonda handed Mr Harper his coffee. "I'll be frank with you Mr Harper; this sounds too big for me."

"I accept that but I insist you head the group. You think clearly and express your thoughts clearly from what I perceived in that UGLY campaign and you also think outside the box."

"Very well I accept your thinking. I best organize a time when our president and his team can meet with us. Um, what size budget are you contemplating?"

"Ten million to be spent in the US."

"Oh my Harper, my favorite man. Please bring your coffee and we'll get that meeting without an appointment right now."

Rhonda sat Mr Harper in the waiting room outside the boardroom and went into the office of the president's PA and used Nancy's computer to search details on Mr Max Harper. From his profile page she confirmed she had indeed been talking to Max Harper, aged 73 who eleven months ago sold out of Harper Toy Corporation for $323 million.

She thanked Nancy and against Nancy's protests went through the connecting door into the boardroom. Company's president Richard Lane looked up in surprise and stopped talking. At the table were his two vice-presidents, the agency's internal attorney, the director of finance and the heads of account planning (strategy) and creative.

"I need this board room and you people for an urgent meeting with a client."

Frowning, Richard said politely, "Rhonda dear I accept you are our most enthusiastic executive but..."

"A ten million dollar client Mr Lane."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Ladies and gentlemen," Richard smiled. "This meeting is temporarily adjourned. Take a five-minute break and then reconvene here for our meeting with Rhonda's client..."

He looked at Rhonda.

"Mr Max Harper."

"Ohmigod, Max is launching something new. He sold out of his corporation in a huff last year for one hundred million."

"Actually it was three hundred and twenty million Lillian but we can't have all of that because there are salaries to pay, research and development, acquiring plant and offices and tooling up for production," Rhonda said. "But he proposes ten million for our campaign and I guess it we over-run there will be no problem. Now folk, please don't expect your usual arrogant, non-stop talking business tycoon; think instead of dealing with a favorite uncle."

At that meeting Richard bent over backwards to give Mr Harper everything he suggested. Mr Harper wanted Rhonda to be in absolute control.

"Rhonda is hereby designated Harper Campaign team leader with assess to all the resources she requires."

Mr Harper said Rhonda had already told him the campaign devising and launching would be too big for her alone."

Richard said, "Mrs Lillian Mercer, our most experienced creative director who heads our retail department, is hereby seconded to work as Rhonda's deputy and confidante."

"Very good Richard. Finally, I wish to be the one to decide whether any of Rhonda's proposals are to be accepted or rejected, not any interfering person in this agency. No one else in this agency or any other agency in this city thinks like Rhonda."

"Agreed Mr Harper. Rhonda is to have absolute control of this project..."

"But I would welcome advice and ideas," Rhonda said.

"... but senior agency personnel are permitted to give Rhonda advice and make suggestions."

The meeting ended with Rhonda being asked to consult with Mr Harper to create campaign guidelines so a contract could be drawn up."

"You handled yourself very well facing those heavyweights," Mr Harper told her. "I was not surprised to see that. You are naturally a free spirit so never allow it to be harnessed otherwise you'll lose your individuality and creativeness."

"Thank you Mr Harper. You are very wise."

As the meeting room cleared Richard asked Lillian to remain.

"Yes," she said crossly.

"Lillian, please. She's a rising star; if we attempt to suppress her she'll go somewhere else. Um the next three weeks will be the peak time for you working with Rhonda. Once you two have done the planning her need for you will diminish, probably quite rapidly I should think. I think a $5000 sweetener for you to cover the time you'll be working alongside Rhonda is in order."

"Oh Richard darling, how sweet of you. I feel better about this already."

"I know and try not to be bitter about her increasing status. You had you day in your early years Lillian. Remember her success means money for this agency and you share at the time of bonus distributions. Oh, you could do this for me. I'd like you to suggest to your friend Natalie Fellows she does one of her Channel 7 Sunday Personality Interviews on Rhonda."

"God Richard, you live dangerously."

He grinned and smacked her ass as she left. Lillian wasn't the least bit offended.

* * *

Rhonda called Celeste.

"Hi my favorite senior lady."

"Gawd Rhonda, be careful with that word senior."

"Yes, well that's a problem with English as a language and common usage isn't it? After young women we have no progressive steps. Are you going to fake that you are busy or can you come into the city and have lunch with me?"

"What today?"

"Yes."

"No way."

"Oh don't worry about your hair. We'll go somewhere chic so you won't be out of place wearing a hat."

"How did you know I needed to go to the hairdresser's?"

"It could be embarrassing if I tell you."

"Tell my darling."

"Well it must be something important for you to say no, not today, because you are anxious to impress me as a lovely potential mother-in-law. If you had another appointment you would have said so, therefore it was am 80% chance you were thinking you'd have to get your hair done before coming into the city. Finally you can't sit still thinking god this must be something really good for Rhoda to be wishing to see me at such short notice."

Celeste sighed, "Ohmigod Rhonda, no one is safe with your focus tuned into them. No I don't have any other engagement, yes I'll wear a hat and yes I'm almost ready to bite my nails wondering what on earth you want to talk to me about, because with you I can expect something almost of bombshell proportions."

"Shall we say 2:00 at Cherelle's?"

"Ah French and that place is so elegant. I'm surprised you found it darling."

"I've never been there but guessed you would have."

"Thank you. we shall meet there at 2:00."

They sat forking delicately, pausing occasionally to sip Chablis.

"Celeste, I wish to reintroduce your face and still impressive figure to the public through advertising."

"You mean as a paid model or performer."

"Both."

"At my age?

"Yes."

They ate in silence for a few moments.

"As what?"

"As a grandmother."

"Are you insane?"

"You may chose your age and style of grandmother. This could lead you back into work if that's what your wish."

"And you'd pay me?"

"Yes."

"How much?"

"You'd play the lead role with three other grandmothers of different nationalities in one shoot, with your two handpicked grandchildren and their mother, all professional actors, in another shoot at locations yet to be determined. Two days for each shoot, day one rehearsals, day two filming. We feel people will recognize you although the ad want mention who you are and there will be no credits. So I'm offering you $5000 per day of rehearsals/learning your script and per day of shooting. If you have to fly anywhere no fee but all paid expenses."

"That's generous but I really don't think so. What is the product?"

"Toys."

"What three grandmas looking at toys?"

"Basically yes."

"Well I really don't think so."

Rhona smiled. "Don't be too hasty. Here is a draft script for both shoots to take home and read. That script is yet to be approved by the client. Once that's done I can offer you the part."

"Well I'll read it but I really don't think I'll be doing it. Four grandmas playing with kids toys sounds utterly ridiculous to me."

"Celeste darling. Can you imagine me being involved in anything ridiculously stupid?"

Celeste smiled and said, "My god you are an expert seducer."

* * *

Of course almost everyone in the agency, and everyone apart from Mr Harper working at Mr Harper's Educational Playthings plus company consultants, said the ad wouldn't work, that it was akin to pouring money down the drain (older folk) or pissing money against a wall (younger folk).

Mr Harper of course said defensively Rhonda Royce knew what she was doing. Her problem was she didn't look and behave like an advertising and promotion genius.

That statement was ridiculed of course.

Mr Harper approved of the ad and agreed it should run of selected TV stations throughout the country in slots just before 5:00 pm.

Late next day after the ads first ran, calls from sellers of Mr Harper's Educational Playthings were contacting distributors to urgently order new supplies and national media was chasing after Rhonda who fronted that night with Celeste and the three other genuine grandmothers. The program segment was part of network news.

The interview was stage-managed, as many are. The interviewer Sharon Magee holding a huge armful of email printouts said, "These are emails from viewers wishing to know when your advertisement will be playing again Rhonda or enquiring about how you came up with the idea and there are seventy emails asking who is the blonde grandmother because she looks so familiar?"

"Well to answer the last query first, that young grandmother (the camera focused on the smiling blonde) is former celebrity model Celeste Williams-Ryan or Celeste Williams as she was in her career days that lasted until her marriage. The second question was how did I come up with the idea: it just came to me after Mr Harper told me he wanted a quick break-through into a hugely competitive toy market. My young niece is besotted with her Anchor-the-Mind Toy, a cash register, that Mr Harper had been producing and marketing until last year selling his holding in that company he established for his late father. So I knew what he was about and he really struck a cord in me when he expressed his horror at how war games and computer games promoting naked aggression were swamping Toyland. In answer to the first question the advertisement will run just before 5:00 every afternoon for the next four weeks on almost 500 selected TV stations."