All Comments on 'Starting Over: A Love Story'

by DG Hear

Sort by:
  • 63 Comments
JDsellerJDsellerover 18 years ago
Good story. His was just waiting for Miss Right !

He may have had a problem with women that had other lovers or he may have just been waiting for the right woman. We all want to be at the center of our lovers mind. He may have just had other partners that did not fulfill him. I have been with virgins and lovers that where not. It did not make that much of a difference. If anything, I have found that a women that has had a few lovers is much more confident of her needs and wants. My wife was not a virgin when we met. It has never been a problem in over Twenty-five years. JDseller

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great story

As ususal

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great

Another winner from you. Keep up the good writing.

Boyd

wetapapwetapapover 18 years ago
funny, i didn't

think the sap rose in the winter, but who really cares, like everyone else, I love sappy stories too, a good one DG, and a fan always.

saw_man1saw_man1over 18 years ago
A Knight In Shining Armor

A storybook ending to a sweet story. That story put an ear to ear smile on my face. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Oh Yes

I don't usually go in for plagiarism but this time I have to plagiarise what one of the regular commenters on this site said on a story some time back.

I'm glad none of you are here, it's not good to see a grown man cry.

DC

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great just great!

I'm a grandfather and can relate to this story. Remembering my own kids growing up and the fun times during the Holidays. We missed that as they grew up. Now we are having those times again through our grandkids. If you don't get tears in your eyes reading this, you must be dead. Just a great read.

A Fan always

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
I love sappy Christmas

stories and this was a good one. Good luck with the contest Dg.

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryover 18 years ago
Very nice

DG, add another person to the list of people who like sappy love stories. Liked the way you brought in your last story too. Great job.

rgraham666rgraham666over 18 years ago
Nice

A very sweet story of growing up.

Well done.

gizzmo301gizzmo301over 18 years ago
Good

great story, good family story, very well done

Selena_KittSelena_Kittover 18 years ago
Sweet

Sweet and sentimental, it did everything a good holiday story should do. Good luck in the contest!

Blue88Blue88over 18 years ago
Romantic

DG, I really enjoyed this little tale. It was sweet, romantic and had no trauma or angst - perfect for the holidays. My hat is off to you. Thanks for a good read.

Risq_001Risq_001over 18 years ago
Ok, I'm a Sucker for a good Story too

I kinda liked it. It was different, wasn't harsh, and was kinda intresting. Nice going (^_^)

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
..

Way to go...finally an enjoyable story that was sweet and filled with love.

Happy Holidays

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Nice to know

There really is a shining light at the end of a long dark tunnel. Nicely done, DG.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A wonderful surprise

Wow, what a wonderful surprise-- A loving romantic story with a happy ending. I didn't think anyone wrote that kind of story anymore. Thanks for the breath of fresh air. Please keep writing. 60 year old George

romaq7705romaq7705over 18 years ago
very good!

a love story set on xmas.. reminds me of miracle on 42nd street. that was good. this one is much better. thanks for writing.

DavefoDavefoover 18 years ago
WOW

Wow..loved it. Sure tugs at your heart. Gotta go, I want to

read it again...

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A warmth in my heart...

Your story brings warmth in my heart. And what a good timing it is for a Christmas season. Yes, btw, we here in the Philippines may have the longest Christmas Season in the world when one could start hearing carols on the radio, and even malls once a …BER month begin. SeptemBER, what else. Yes, that early.

Thanks for a wonderful read.

A fan always.

benhur726

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
a nonny mouse

Congratulations on another really great story. You are truly a talented author. Please keep them coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Fantastic

A wonderful love story. The best I've ever read on this site. Thank you for sharing it with me.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 18 years ago
Another great story...

thanks, DG.

RandallRRandallRover 18 years ago
Exquisite Craftsmanship!!

Who are you really, DG Hear? Now you've revealed that you are most likely an highly acclaimed romantic novelist, moonlighting as a part-time eroticist. Who among us can deny the tear in eye empathy with this one?

And guys, who among us can deny the penny dropping when Gary's double standard was revealed? Something about glass houses and throwing stones comes to mind.

So many double standards and so few writers with the nouse and sensitivity to explore them in this way, simply, and gratefully.....Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Almost my life story.

There is nothing like your first love, even though it may take many years for the both of you to realize it. But when you do, its MAGIC!

Thank you for the wonderful story.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusover 18 years ago
Left out a part

Great sappy holiday story, thanks for writing. Everyone has had the experience of being compared, even in jest or in passing, to past flames. It can be intimidating.

By thwway, you left out the part where a few weeks after the honeymoon he comes home unexpectedly to find an eXcell spreadsheet open on the computer he bought her charting the penis size, sexual likes and hangups, staying power and known sexual history of ALL her lovers, including his Uncle Frank!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A sweet story...

... thank you for sharing with all of us and good luck in the contest.

Always, E

hugo_samhugo_samover 18 years ago
NIcely Told

Romantic story of losing oneself and finding love. Well done and thanks.

charleybearcharleybearover 18 years ago
Warm Story

This was a very warm and endearing story. His problem could have prevented him from being a happy man, fortunately with help he got around it.

I cannot believe there are too many men out there who have a thing about what the woman did before they married unless she was a total slut. It seems that this guy was pretty unrealistic in his expectations.

All in all I think it was a wonderful story and I am glad he overcame his "problem" and married this wonderful woman. She seems like an awesome catch for him and yes she would have no trouble finding a man, but thankfully he was the man who would love her.

I always appreciate your work.

Charleybear

fdkmanfdkmanover 18 years ago
Good Story, But Not a Double Standard

Despite what the main character says his feelings about women are not a double standard, at least in my opinion. He invested time in these women but, from what I can tell, never promised more than he delivered. I feel that he just never found the one woman who 'lit his fire' so to speak. The other women were nice but not enough to make him want to settle down.

Some women have a tendency to see more in a relationship than is there and I believe that was the case with the women he dated. It had nothing to do with them not being virgins, as that IS an unrealistic expectation, it is that these women didn't have that certain quality that would make him want to settle down. It is as simple and as complicated as that.

It seems that Gary was carrying a torch for Kathy all those years whether he realized it or not and all these other women were there to mark time until she came back into his life.

I also don't think that the supposed 'advice' by Uncle Frank really had anything to do with Gary's feelings towards women, though it did make an interesting plot twist. Even Gary doesn't remember it, nor take it to seriously so I discount it as a factor in his behavior.

Bottom line, Gary wanted Kathy and once he found her he married her inside two months, what's the problem?

Ray

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Tender Story!

You had Gary explore a side to every man - the need for the woman he marries to be perfect and without blemishes. Of course, one should never look at a mirror.

Excellent read! Thanks!

SleeplessinMD

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Tear jerking

I haven't had the opportunity to read something lately that has sparked a tear to me. I loved it and Gave it good ratings. I just wish that something like that can happen to me.

sacksackover 18 years ago
very good....

a little dry in parts, and some of the dialogue was a bit tedious, but overall well written. A more compelling sex scene could have livened this up a bit, why did you hold back in that regard?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Had to read it twice

I liked the story but I got hung up on Gary's attitude about marrying a virgin. I know that some men feel that way but I don't pretend to understand why unless it's because of the several reasons in the story. On the second reading I put that behind me to read it as a straight love story of two youthful friends finaly able to reunite. That was not only acceptable but it made for a nice romantic love story that was well told. Thank You. Ronnie W.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 18 years ago
Every male has wondered

When you've been with a woman who has had other lovers you almost always wonder just how you stack up.

I don't think anyone who knows he is pleasing the woman ever WORRIES about it, though. Well, maybe a couple do.

This is a good story of a man recognizing his problem and getting past it.

Enjoyed the story very much. And it seemed to flow well to me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A Thanks

I enjoy your stories and as always I want more. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Happy thoughts by a romantic!

Hello DG,

It had everything needed for a good love story. I'm 68 years old. and I wish I could live several lives just to experience a love relationship like this story or live forever with my wife of 43 years! Now I have to bring up your list of stories and hope you have many just like this. I don't like PWP. So hope you write other love stories. It won't recognize my Username and pass word. Nor is their a send button.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Wonderful

I just had to read this one again. It is the best story I have ever read on this site. Thanks for sharing it with me. May I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great Story

I read this in one sitting. It grabbed me from the first sentence. Well written.

NJG

PEATBOGPEATBOGover 18 years ago
Such a beautiful love story !!

I had tears in my eyes while reading this fine, tender, romantic tale. The hero must have had some very negative responses from his sexual partners, about his 'equipment' or sexual prowess, to have such a 'hang up'!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
wow

i am a grown man of 50 years you had me in ters the best thing i have read in years thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Loving Story

A moving and loving stort.I will dear it over and over .I enjoy all your intries ahd can spend hours enjoyiny your work and effort.

bruce22bruce22over 15 years ago
Another winner

The problem is well focused and there is little tension.

You really should have put some male competition in the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Brings back memories

My teenage sweetheart and I parted after high school, but I thought of her often. I'd gone to college and she married a guy her parents thought would make a good match. She had a little boy, and then a few years later, her marriage went south and she got a divorce. We were much like the couple in this story -- conflicted, but still in love after all those years. We finally got married and had a child of our own. We've been married 40 years now, and I have no regrets. DG, your story brought back memories, and I must admit to needing to use my handkerchief to wipe away some tears. Thanks for your story.

bigguy323bigguy323about 13 years ago
Nice little tale. I have my doubts about Gary's mental status.

As written: "She opened up the tiny box and saw an engagement ring and started crying. I got down on one knee and said, "Kathy, will you marry me and make an honest man of me?"

Her proper response should have been; "Sorry, Gary you're to stupid to live and I can't see investing time and effort into someone like that"

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Yea! This is my kind of story!

Thanks! There was a bonus, two characters I could end up liking. Gary finally overcame his double standard and matured, and Kathy was great from the get-go.

DunaDunaover 12 years ago

A teeneger love replay. Very good story. Almost every story which I read from DGHEAR was excellent. This guy was a maximalist for the life and in time he stepped back compromising as the majority of the people. Hungarian way of saying for a woman the man will be little nicer as the devil that is good. Only a minority of the people find the totaly right mate for each other. A women with children if she finds the right (important right) man she will love him better then a single women (this is a statistic law) and there are a little men who appreciates the different like I am.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
one of the most moving storys ive read in years 10/10

loved it so much i showed it to my partner.. she was crying by the end and said it would make a brilliant one off bbc show, so consider sending it to them

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Man that was a great one

wish i could also meet my love to whom i was unable to confess

guys pray for me

still it was the too good

Toylover52Toylover52about 12 years ago
Just Great

I finished it with tears in my eyes. Funny how emotional I have become lately, I never have been before. Oh Well Life does go on, at least I hope it does.

OleguyOleguyabout 11 years ago
Darn you!

I have a runny nose and wet streaks down my cheeks after just discovering this non-erotic story.

Wish I had been around when that holiday contest was on.

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 10 years ago
Scars come in the weirdest shapes and forms

All of them leave marks -

Some we never recognize until someone else shows them to us -

All of them have the potential to change our lives -

Glads these were repairable - Nice work -

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
One problem

There is one serious glaring problem with this story. Anyone who has been a parent knows that a three year old girl should be able to walk and talk very well. The abilities you described are those of an 18-month-old. Any child who has not developed any more that that by the time she is three, needs to be tested for mental handicaps.

HighlandLaddieHighlandLaddieover 7 years ago
a nice little story of true love

glad they were able to find each other again...but what a lame asshole he was for thinking like that......took him long enough to get his head from up his ass and think straight....

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
True. Love

It comes in many forms someone new someone from the past but you will know it when you find it it just kinda slaps you up side the head. A very good story 5 stars.

Ron/cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
NOT TOO SHABBY

She-it man! This is a great story! Your right he'd be a fool to let her go!

No doubt some sandwich people (inbred) will say this is BUUULLSHEIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT

Let us all say it BUUULLSHEIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT! (Evangelist revival)

And they all will say to me FUUUUUUUCKYUUUU? Let us all say aloud

FUUUUUUUCKYUUUU BUUULLSHEIIIIIIIIIIITTTTT

PRAISE THE LORD HELLALUJAH ! And we did! !!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Pure unadulterated COPE

Reminder: the more sexual partners a person has had, the less likely their next relationship will last.

Yes, even one previous partner increases the likelihood of divorce.

Settling for a non-virgin is just that, settling. You can seethe and you can cope but at the end of the day the truth remains the truth.

No hymen no diamond.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
Who

Who is the Mary,he invited to the Xmas party?.

francemanfrancemanabout 2 years ago

Hi DG Hear,

I read little by little all of your stories, and this one made me think strongly of you.

You as a person or you as a writer? Only you have the answer.

This type of MC seems to be a constant among your characters.

In 85% of your stories, the man between 20 and 25 almost fucks a different woman every week, but paradoxically each time falls in love with a woman who has only had 2/3 lovers (even if she has children) .

The notable difference here is the awareness of this state of affairs.

To equalize the differences between men and women, I offer you a challenge for a future story.

A woman having had a very active sex life (without falling into the exaggeration of Trio, gangbang and others) who falls in love with a sexually almost novice man, and therefore very inexperienced.

So here is my challenge. The initiatory journey of sexual development of a man by an experienced woman so that he can meet the high quality standards allowing the follow-up of the harmonious romantic and sexual relationship.

It promises doubt, fear, frustration, hesitation, comparison...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Kathy is a very strong and smart lady. My hat and admiration to her. She is a real survivor and is the very anchor to her former and her new family. The same cannot be said for Gary, the weakest character in the story. Kathy is the one who earned this story my 5*.

BJ

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The main character is an idiot. The four year old boy was light years ahead of the three year old girl in speech & intellect. The girl's character should have been made a younger age or get her to professionals for early childhood intervention.

NitpicNitpicabout 1 year ago
Why

Why did he ask Mary to go to a works Xmas party,isn't she a bit young?.

chytownchytownabout 1 year ago

*****Great piece of storytelling with an original storyline at least to me. Very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDG Hear@DG Hear
5696 Followers
I want to thank all the readers who read and comment on my stories. If anyone would have told me 8 yrs ago (now it's 16 yrs ago) I would be writing stories (on an adult web site) I would have laughed at them. Thank you so much for the feedback and comments. It's what keep m...