All Comments on 'The Autistic Bride'

by vrosej10

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
I'm.....

....ambivalent about this. I love the poem but the title throws me, she seems to not necessarily have autistic tendencies, I needed a bit more info.

Dreams make great poetic fodder and this does have a dream-like quality.

Tess + 4 (really liked it - good read)

AngelineAngelineabout 13 years ago
I see this poem as literal

having worked with autistic young people, but it works as an image really well for the poem, too. It conveys their disjunctiveness and love the use of "ruptures" and that last great line.

I'd consider putting some space between natural breaking points because the densely packed language and puncutation kind of gets in the way of the reading--maybe stretch it all out some, you know? I think the dialogue needs to be broken out on separate lines at least. Just a thought but see what you think. :-)

vrosej10vrosej10about 13 years agoAuthor
Howdy

To clarify this poem, it was based on a dream where I was the young man in question. The quote at the beginning was spoken by the girls father at what would be the end of the poem.

My son is autistic and I have spent a great deal of time with people with this disability. I was meticulous about making sure she displayed traits appropriate to someone with high functioning autism.

Point taken about it needing to be opened out a bit :).

Maria2394Maria2394about 13 years ago
it is a bit

disarranged, Not a bad poem, maybe a few more reads and it will dawn on me. I can't not read you :)

buttersbuttersabout 13 years ago
y'know what, v?

this works for me 100% as a flash fiction

as a poem, not so well.

you have absolutely captured and conveyed that glass wall that exists between h.f autistics and people considered 'normal' (whatever 'that' is) - you create tangents, cut-offs ...the unexpected..

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous