10 Pound Bag Ch. 136-140

Story Info
Serial Saga of a man twitched back in time.
6k words
4.78
8.9k
6

Part 29 of the 48 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers

**** Chapter 136 -- The Marine House ****

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 10 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 11 May 2021

Published: 14 May 12, 2021

It hit me as I walked through the door, this would be the Marine House and that's what it's supposed to be. So to rephrase: as I walked through the door of the soon-to-be-christened Marine House, I started noting things I'd want to be changed before I returned. I didn't want to be overbearing, but this house was a little too feminine to fit my comfort zone. I also needed a veterans' bunk house out back. We'd give priority to Marines and then Sailors, of course, but focusing on veterans only.

The butler wasn't there as I came through, but that poor guy was overworked already anyway. We would have a Sergeant at Arms who would be responsible for the footmen/sentries providing security. Naturally, this team would need improved quarters. I was glad a retired leatherneck usually didn't ask for much. They needed uniforms, also. Abandoned warriors took comfort from the security of simple things such as that.

I actually came to a full stop as the thoughts flooded my head. I was buffeted by images of things I needed do for that and how I could make it work. I needed to consult someone, but there was absolutely no one I could consult. First, I had to recruit Grace Langdon. Officially, if the Widow Langdon started a home for veteran Marines and Sailors, she would be lauded across the land. We could start a clinic by the main gate as well. We just needed to pull in a competent sawbones. Sonya might love to help me push this project through. Since landing in the past, I'd never wished that I had cell service quite so badly as I did now.

I forced myself to push aside such distracting thoughts. This location was now part of my mission and would be part of my legacy. When I went to Washington next year, it was a solid talking point that would get me through as many doors as money did. With that renewed vigor, I strode through into the sitting room, where I had heard voices.

The ladies were a bit surprised at my sudden appearance. I duly greeted them all politely and complimented their beautiful new dresses. I found the remnants of Mr. Langdon's liquor cabinet and poured myself a measure of what I hoped was bourbon. Let's just say, whatever it was, it wasn't good and I grimaced as it went down. It was time to get on with it. I'd deal with the booze situation later.

"Dear Mrs. Langdon, would you care to accompany me to the study?" I asked in my most formal and polite voice.

"My pleasure, Mr. Narrater, I assume we are to discuss business and finances," was her measured response.

"Yes, ma'am, I propose we agree in theory and commit the agreement to paper, later tonight or in the morning. My offer may not be to your liking and, although I would like to allow you more time to consider it, I hope to come to an accommodation quickly. I shall follow you through." I flourished as I opened the door for her. Damn, maybe I had watched too many chick flicks with Trish over the years. I actually sounded refined. If Buggy and Lurch could see me now, they'd be laughing their asses off.

We silently walked across the hall to the study. As soon as I closed the door behind me, she threw herself into my arms and started laying kisses on me. I actually had to fight her off. She finally and reluctantly gave me my space as I quietly repeated, "Business first, Grace. Business!" Not the most graceful of moments. I finally got her sat down and poured her a small glass of whatever was in the cupboard's sherry decanter.

I started with the good news, "I made a large capital line available to the house today. I also ordered and paid for the grain, hay, wood, and larder supplies that had run to empty. I believe deliveries started being made today."

She spoke thanks to me for solving those immediate problems and started in on other needs. I simply lit a cigarette and listened for a moment as I paced. Once she wound down, I continued.

"The amount of capital I have made available is the estimated equivalent to the value of the estate. It is not my wish to purchase it directly. Rather, I prefer to create a three-way partnership among the Rulo Bank, myself, and you, dear lady. I will hold the controlling percentage, but you will reside here and operate the facility."

She looked stunned and out of her depth. She merely nodded in reply.

"Should you agree, this will become the Marine House and will function as a home for veteran Marines and Sailors here in St. Louis. You, milady, will be running a charity which we fully intend to be self-sustaining."

Her eyes were glossing over as she considered it.

"I will build a barracks for these men on the property and we shall have a clinic and veterans' tavern near the side gate. The main house will be furnished for distinguished guests and visiting officials, including retired Marines of rank."

She finally responded, "But w-w-what about me?"

"You and your private guests shall have your own new wing, dear Grace, including your own private sitting and dining room."

I didn't expect the reaction. She flew off the couch and basically climbed me, smothering me with kisses. When I finally pulled her off, she stood back grinning with breath coming fast and blurted, "Dear sir, do you realize you are offering me a purpose again in my life? This is better than children or a brief affair. I can do so much for so many who have sacrificed for us. I almost want to cry!"

"Yes, Grace, you will be known as the benevolent Widow Langdon who founded the very first Marine House in the United States. You possibly may found more. We shall badger the government for money until they give us a dollar, and each year after that, they will give us another dollar more. I shall give, also, of course, as long as this is the Marine House and we have Marines standing watch at the gates. This I swear to you, as I swore to the Constitution." I was deadly serious now. My oath on the Constitution was more important than any other I could make.

"When can we start?!?" She was highly excited.

"This will be the Marine House as soon as we shake on the deal, ma'am. Construction can start tomorrow."

I felt like a water pump as my arm was pumped energetically up and down. I guess I had won this vicious battle of wills.

We had our first Charitable Foundation.

Most importantly, I now had the Marine House.

**** Chapter 137 -- Last Minute Preparations ****

By: Emmeran, 11 May 2021

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 11 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 14 May 2021

Published: 12 May 2021

Grace literally skipped as she left the room and I heard a sudden explosion of womanly excitement from across the hall. That commotion was more than I wanted to deal with, so I made my silent escape through the servant hallways that connected the various rooms. These small, almost hidden, passageways were designed so that the master of the house wouldn't have to observe the servants at work, cleaning and replenishing the rooms. The main halls were kept pristine while ashes were hauled out via the servant passage.

Later, these types of passages, if they survived remodels, were assigned sinister or romantic purposes. Everyone likes the idea of a spy or romantic secret passage. The idea that it was how you hauled out ashes and spittoons wasn't quite as romantic or fun. The truth was that the punishment for sullying the main hall with your presence included the lash; that was just not as romantic for most folks at all.

I made my way to the servants' quarters and cornered Grace's senior manservant. I took him with me as I went to collect the three new slaves for the House. I gave him the rundown on what was happening with these three. I asked him to find me after they were sorted, for a fuller explanation of the changes to come. I was very explicit that I expected these three to be placed on the lowest rung and promised him a fuller explanation when Aunty arrived later today.

I tried to take a step back and organize my thoughts, Clara was scratching away at her notes, adding to the background distractions. People were still approaching me, asking questions, and I'd forgotten how many balls I had in the air. I would have started dropping them, had not Grace and Lucinda chosen that moment to reappear. I didn't even get a chance to notice how well appointed Lucinda looked and they both appeared about to burst with things they wanted to say. I didn't give them a chance.

I recentered myself and started issuing orders. We would be leaving in 36 hours and I still didn't have a solid head count. I also needed the goods reports so I could understand our loadouts for the trip. At this time tomorrow, I needed to be inspecting travel packs and armament, not thrashing about, as I was now.

I wanted all of the people traveling with us to be here by supper time tonight. This was 'pack it or leave it' time and we weren't waiting for the professional movers. We needed reports and I wanted to see tents and cookfires before dark. We would bring the herds in tomorrow morning and run our first practice at loading the boats.

Grace was the first to jump into action. She rounded up her staff and told them what was happening and to begin to prepare for the influx of people. The paddocks and pastures would be filled with livestock and we needed an outdoor cooking area set up. She quickly got things at Marine House under control. Amos and Brin had reappeared and the three of us immediately set out again. Clara and Lucinda were loaded into the carriage and I was on horseback. The first stop was the slave encampment; they were about to go mobile.

This trip would push people, but these folk were used to hard times and they would adapt quickly. We just needed to show them what was needed for the trip in the next day and a half. We left Lucinda and Sheriff to work on things at the camp. Amos drove us over to the tradesmen's houses, where I got right down to it. We were starting to move today and Amos would be back with a buckboard to collect any belongings they couldn't carry. Everything would be warehoused and brought upriver, as boat space became available. This was a people move and it needed to be clean, quick, and safe.

I almost said, "Just pretend the Nazi's are coming," but I held my tongue and urged them all to move with absolute decisiveness. I told them to mark everything that would be shipped and it would eventually follow them. The women and children were to join the boat riders as they walked through town. The men must be mounted and helping to move the herds; this would be the next month of our lives. They got busy and we left for the docks.

The docks were somewhat better prepared for this type of urgency. The passengers changed things for them a little, but otherwise it was business as usual. We picked up two of the captains' wives and Commodore Timmons, while the boat captains themselves accompanied us on horseback. They were all dressed in their best attire for a dinner with the new boss. I asked Amos to pick up the Byrnes and our new warehouse manager after he dropped us off. We were becoming a taxi service as well.

Marine House was all activity when we arrived. Jeb was waiting for me with his new builder friend and the builder's team. Grace Langdon still had her dressmaker in tow and wanted to corner me. The servants were all rushing around out back, preparing for the sudden invasion. Obviously, the head man had a slew of questions for me.

Good things did happen though. Amos' new friend was a vision of true loveliness as she glided across the path and planted a delicate kiss on his cheek. Grace and her ladies had worked magic. I thought the boy was going to pass out on the spot. If he didn't propose tonight he was an idiot.

She quickly turned from Amos and invited the captains' wives to join her in the sitting room. I overheard her introduce herself as the sub-princess Madeleine and companion to Lady Lucinda, Princess consort to the Second Prince of Botswana. Whatever it was about royalty titles, even if assumed, was enough to turn the captains' wives into complete adoring fans. It didn't hurt that the girl was so pretty she made my heart ache.

I grabbed Amos by the arm and told him, "Go get cleaned up. If you don't propose to her tonight, I will. Clean up, check with Ms. Grace to ensure you are presentable, and say the right things."

I had to make sure Sheriff and Lucinda were on the same page as I. This match was great news if it came on its own. They were a bit young by modern standards but for the time it was appropriate. It was, however, another complication. I had not even considered what adding the 'Gretzkys' to our private compound would do. Since Amos knew everything, Madeleine would know everything soon as well.

Somehow, I just knew that this would turn out bad for me in some way.

**** Chapter 138 -- Matrimony and Motivation ****

By: Emmeran, 12 May 2021

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 12 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 14 May 2021

Published:15 May 2021

I can't explain it, but in the midst of our mad rush to migrate all these folks to the edge of the frontier, everyone got caught up in the idea of a romantic engagement and impending matrimony. I felt truly sorry for both of the kids. He had to ask and she would certainly be pressured to accept joyfully. All of this, while both of them were dressed up in what still had to feel like costumes to them.

Amos, to his credit, still didn't quite realize what was happening and all of us fellas who knew him were actually busy cajoling him. The problem was that none of us could see a way out, particularly after he admitted that they had slept together as 'man and wife' last night. Several times, in fact. That last point came after Jeb verbally wrestled it out of him.

Into the tub he went, to scrub up and the fellas happily gave him a hard time while he did until Aunty showed up. We were all in trouble but Amos most of all. I found myself dismissed from my own room after I pointed out Amos's best clothes and the grooming gear that I had. That all didn't matter as the Tailor rushed past me in the hall as I departed. It seems he had been fetched from the road and rushed here to attend. This was getting out of control, nobody was getting married until we got back to Rulo; they could have their storybook engagement scene but actual marriage was not allowed. If nothing else, these were both still legally my slaves and I wouldn't allow it. My next stop was in the sitting room to speak with the illustrious Widow Mrs. Langdon.

The Captains were shown to what I was calling the men's lounge or office. I took Grace into the front study to make my point privately and clearly. The privately part quickly became a problem, matrimony talk tending to make women either bitchy or randy. It seemed that randy to the extreme became the problem for me so I gave in and decided to oblige her.

The satisfaction was as short-lived and empty as the joy from a cheap bit of Halloween chocolate. She had lifted her dress and bent over a chaise lounge before I realized; so I dropped my pants and sheathed myself in a good old, modern condom. The most satisfying part was the sound of her ripping pantaloons as I split them at her request, everything else was truly too fast to enjoy. The suddenness of the event did not lead to stamina on my part and it wasn't required on hers, she collapsed into release almost immediately upon my entry and continued those throes until long after my release a scant few minutes later. She was unable to talk for minutes after and somehow I managed to sit her on the chaise before a servant brought us in coffee. Not one of my greatest moments and I really would have preferred to avoid it altogether.

I had some coffee and a bit of the bourbon I had with me. I was hoping John would think to bring both bourbon and ale when he showed up and was considering sending a buckboard to fetch some. I roused Grace from her post-coital stupor long enough to enforce the idea that an engagement was allowable but there would be no wedding happening this quickly. She agreed and set to making herself a cup of coffee. I decided to have a bit of tobacco before I went to join the gentlemen waiting next door, I needed to collect myself.

Grace didn't talk at all during that short time and after two polite conversation attempts I gave up and contemplated the vast number of women that had rolled through my bed since my downfall. The number had become depressing to me and I was privately ashamed that I hadn't been able to avoid this encounter. I wasn't condemning myself but I did find myself wishing that Mouse was with me, I was starting to think that I really wanted Mouse.

The mental reprieve was short lived because the migration group came up the drive and there was a gentle knocking on the study door calling our names. I allowed Grace to rouse herself and answer it, then followed her to go meet with the captains. By this point, I was hoping beyond hope that we could just mount up and ride away now.

Thankfully, the captains took it easy on me. I was happy to see Patrick among them. Gentlemen continued to join our little group and small bits of conversation developed into the larger discussion of the future. I happily announced that the future was steamboats and that each of them would captain a steamboat before the next year was out. We would capture the Missouri River trade route for our own; I felt confident that we had the money and the people to do so.

Well, a better motivator couldn't be had for this group. There were a few momentary doubts about whether they would even be needed with steam, but I was able to reassure them that they would be more important than ever. Men with their skill and knowledge of the river would always be in short supply. The boats would be faster and the river more treacherous. Steam power extended the shipping season, the crews would become more technical, and the cargo more expensive. Riverboats and railroads would change the world and they would be the men at the center of the revolution.

I pointed out, "As boat captains you will hold shares in the company and earn a percentage of the income from all cargo hauled. Obviously, this summer's loads will profit us only in food, clothing and housing for the winter." You could almost hear the hope and pride swell, as those ideas sank in. I lit a cigarette and gave them a few minutes to digest it.

I continued my monologue, "When spring comes you will find yourself with refitted boats, well-fed crews, and you'll be ready to start growing our transportation empire. Over the next years, you will all have houses and land in Rulo, as well as partial ownership in a fast-growing company, Rulo Trade and Transport.

"Please take extra care while transporting our passengers, keep discipline within your crews, and ensure they are all properly armed. Remember, until you reach Rulo Landing these people are still slaves and are my legal property. They are incredibly important and valuable to the future of us all.

"Please do one thing for me. When you reach Rulo, please make it clear to them that the minute they step on dry land they are free people. You get to welcome them to the world of freedom, so plan that moment well. Grandeur is expected of you.

"Please enjoy your supper. I will join you after I see that all these people are settled and being fed."

With that, I led them to the dining room and left to visit the huddled masses.

**** Chapter 139 -- The Huddled Masses ****

By: Emmeran, 12 May 2021

Contributing Muse: Tarasandia, 12 May 2021

Editor: 14 May 2021

Published:18 May 2021

Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers
12