10 Pound Bag Ch. 146-150

Story Info
Serial Saga of a man twitched back in time.
5.9k words
4.75
9.4k
5

Part 31 of the 48 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers

**** Chapter 146 -- The Lash ****

By: Emmeran, 15 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 20 May 2021

Published: 23 May 2021

I heard the low talk. They simply didn't realize how sound carried at night, and they definitely didn't consider that I made my rounds on foot. Compared to Pete and his guys, I was still an elephant crashing through the forest, but our guys weren't even paying attention. So I started stealing their gear - weapons and bedrolls were my favorites those first two nights.

I never said a word. I just stashed them in one of my packs and woke up my relief. Jeb had the death watch just before dawn. He and I had drawn straws (grass stems) over it and he lost. He was the only other experienced warrior and he showed it immediately, by waking up fully alert. He asked what I had done and he laughed. He made me promise it was his turn tomorrow; fine by me. I'd have death watch tomorrow and that really just meant getting up early.

Morning was interesting. I had five new bedrolls and five muskets and was curious to see what I'd hear. They didn't report it; no alarm was raised at all. Tomorrow would be different, I'd rouse everyone with a call to arms and have a word with those who showed up weaponless. I'd have to figure out a punishment that reflected the seriousness of their crime.

I spent a pretty good amount of time making a cat-o-nine-tails out of length of rope on that day. No, it wasn't fancy, and I hoped to never use it, but it needed to be visually impressive. Watch duty was about as serious as things got and discipline had to be as extreme as failure was. After all, sleeping on watch was the same as treason or attempted murder; people would die from your lack of discipline. I'd seen it happen.

**** ****

The second day was barely better. We'd lost five animals, including one horse, overnight. That was very much unacceptable and this couldn't continue. The nice guy in me wanted to get this out of the way early, so I could unload any undesirables in St. Charles.

Calamity still ruled the day. People just lost discipline and livestock wandered off at every chance. A few of them bothered to ask for bread instructions again, but a big chunk of them couldn't even sort out to put the dried meat in water for a spell before trying to eat it. We actually had men milling around our fire, begging for food. I simply told them to look to their packs. If they had followed instructions they had everything that we had. We had purposefully set it out for them and gave instructions on what to take. Aunty even spoke about foraging.

One of the older black men did show up with bunch of crayfish and we roasted those with him and shared alike. Other men ate jerky again. That had to be getting old.

Thank the heavens, we'd reach St Charles tomorrow.

**** ****

I awoke when Jeb set down a pile of muskets next to me. I warned him that he had about an hour and a half to sleep before I roused the camp. He knew I was serious when I broke out my horse whip. Not the cat-o'nine, mind you, but more than enough to rouse the camp. I would very much get at least one person's attention.

First, I started the coffee. Heck, that was why we had cook fires. On top of that, we had watch candles; they burned for two hours. Not hard to track time. But I got coffee going and saddled up my mount. Amos would bring him out to me when it was time. Then I went on the prowl again. This was actually fun and Banshee would happily count every single one of these as coup; she just loved those stripes.

An hour and a half later, I deposited six muskets at our campfire and roused my captains. Then I went back out before the light broke. This part actually wasn't easy to do. I was about to whip a sleeping man, but in the end it would be for the best. I made sure I chose the sleeping sentry the furthest from the herd and watched from the darkness for a long while.

Dawn was about to broach and I knew it was time. I steeled myself and made the horse whip sing out. I can't say for sure but it seemed that the lash landed and the whip had found its mark almost perfectly. I didn't miss, not even close.

If his startled, waking scream didn't rouse the camp my M1911 certainly did. Thankfully, Amos was right there with my mount. I mounted and slowly rode through the camp hollering, "To arms! To arms!" and then joined my captains at the edge of camp.

I had taken a risk, firing that shot, but the herd didn't bolt. They had been mostly snoozing and, while now wide awake, they were still relatively calm. Our men were a different story. It was a flat out mess; Keystone Kops, if you will. We had a long way to go. It was hard to believe that, in just a few weeks, this would be a group of hardened men and, unfortunately, they might even be blooded. We just had to make it that far.

A large group of them gathered in the center of the camp. Far too many of them lacked weapons, with others missing shoes or even pants. Some still hid under their blankets and had to be rousted out. You can't hide from threats on the frontier. Your only hope out there was teamwork, when you had that and luck, you stood a decent chance of making it.

I had to speak and I needed to be shaming and uplifting in the same short speech. Nobody ever wrote essays on the ease of leadership. With everyone finally gathered, I began.

"Curvata resurgo!!" I boomed out.

I let that stand and then repeated it.

"Curvata resurgo!!"

I looked the entire group over and then started my impromptu message.

"Once conquered and bowed, I rise and stand again!"

I paced my mount back and forth. I was actually was quite angry.

"Those words describe the men I expected to have with me for this journey. Men who wanted a new life and weren't afraid to reach for it!"

Turn, pace my horse the other direction.

"What do we have instead? Sleeping on watch! Rifles and even bedrolls stolen!"

A lot of shamed faces out there.

"We even lost livestock in TWO NIGHTS!" I thundered.

"What will you feed your families, come winter? Count your numbers and count the cattle. One head feeds a person.

"How will you tell your children that you were too tired to protect their food?"

"How will you tell your newly widowed neighbor that her husband was killed because you fell asleep on watch?!?

Mentally, I was fuming now.

"Sleeping or being drunk on watch is the same charge as murder and will be punished as such. That punishment is death!"

"Not telling us when equipment or livestock is stolen means YOU were involved in the theft and the punishment is a lashing and you get to join the herd."

I was standing in the stirrups now and Brin was actually pacing my horse. He didn't look happy, either.

"We haven't reached Kansa or Otoe lands yet and already we've been robbed blind. How can this have happened?

"You did this!!

"One and all!

"You ignored our words and complained about it being hard. You then gave away almost half of our weapons!

"You didn't hold your fellow men accountable.

"Am I to die because you decided to sleep?

"I didn't sleep. I stood my watch.

"Danger is always all around and only we can protect ourselves!

"So I stood my watch."

I let that set for a moment.

"Look to the man next to you. Are you willing to die because HE thought your life wasn't as important as his sleep?!?

"Every man had a bedroll and weapon when we left St. Louis. Any man now without one or the other or both, please go stand behind me.

"We will not leave this place until after we inspect everyone's gear for completeness and cleanliness. Right now, the rest of you check the livestock and perform a head count immediately. Report to the captains."

I circled my mount once more.

"Should I, ever again, find a man without his weapon, I will whip him on the spot."

And with that I rode off to find some coffee.

**** Chapter 147 -- The Tree ****

By: Emmeran, 17 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 20 May 2021

Published: 24 May 2021

Coffee in hand, I considered what I would say to the men who waited for me. These were the men who had their weapons or gear stolen from them while they slept on watch. It was a very serious crime. Not long ago, Lewis and Clark had executed a man for this exact transgression, not far from here, as a matter of fact. This was tobacco-level consideration and my captains were looking to me for guidance. Leadership was fraught with unpleasant responsibilities.

I decided that the cat-o-nine was called for and hoped it was only a prop. The thought of using that on a living creature sickened me. I would destroy it before we ever got anywhere near Banshee. I didn't even want to imagine what her fascination with that thing would be like. I looped the cat-o-nine and hung it from my belt then started the slow walk over, with heavy feet. I drank my coffee and smoked my cigarette as I thought. I ended up letting Matilda be my muse; justice was harsh and swift in untamed lands and that was what was needed here.

Cigarette done and cup empty, I secured both butt and cup in my bag, I mentally shook myself and strode up to the small gathering of men. This had to be about the greater purpose and the needs of the many. A few drops of blood are far outweighed by the lives of the innocent. I shook the cat loose and let it trail behind me. My mind and eyes were hardening with each step and thought. Who are these guys, to stomp on hopes, dreams, and lives, so casually? Brin whined a little and went straight to Amos.

The captains stepped off to the side and I stood alone in front of these lazy scoundrels. There was no entrapment or trickery. They had all been caught committing a capital crime. I had a full head of steam now and I simply let it flow. Anger poured out of every part of my being.

"You stand before me, accused of committing an unforgivable crime. More than that, it's been proven! Your weapons and belongings are in a pile behind me. Those items were stolen from you while you were supposed to be watching and protecting us. Stolen, in some cases, from your very hands, while you slept. Not only did you allow this to happen, you did not bother to tell anyone afterwards!"

I was on the warpath and looking for blood. My anger was high and I wished for nothing but the opportunity to quench the bloodlust. Naturally, there had to be one idiot who gave me that opportunity. The idiot spoke out from the back of the group, of course, hoping to hide in the group. He was an idiot, facing a force of nature.

"That's wrong. Everyone gets tired and needs to sleep. Sleep is our right!"

Apparently he was a bad arguer, as well as an idiot.

I didn't bother to answer. I simply pulled my musket as I strode through the small crowd. They parted like the Red Sea. He was left standing alone, as if this were some sort of movie, and I placed my musket barrel directly in the center of his forehead. There was utter stillness and silence all around. Even Brin didn't make a sound. Every living creature realized that this man's life was hanging by a thread.

He met my eyes for only a moment and then he looked down in resignation.

I spoke.

"There's a big tree behind me. Either face against the tree and accept the lashes, or face towards me and accept the bullet." My voice was crystal clear and ice hard.

There was a moment of doubt and then he slowly shuffled past me and hugged the tree.

"Shirt off," I ordered. As he did so, I turned back to the men around me.

"Sleeping or drunk on watch, is punishable by death. Allowing items to be stolen is the lash. We have enemies all around and I do not wish to wake up dead because a man fell asleep. I was on the same watch and I was awake!"

"This man!" I pointed with the handle of the cat, "was willing to argue against my right to wake up alive!!" I was incensed and every man in the camp was gathered around now.

I needed to finish this before I lost my nerve.

"This man shall pay the price. But, in paying that price, he will regain his honor. None shall speak of this ever again. Only he is allowed to tell this story, or even of this story!" I emphasized that and very loudly.

"Many skipped punishment today. Should this be mentioned, or I even hear that it was told, then everyone here will receive the same."

"He holds that tree as a man and we shall respect him as such!" It sucked to be me.

"I shall deliver two lashes and each Captain shall deliver one as well. He will hold the tree."

I saw the looks on my captains faces as I turned to task. They were all grey, but with different levels of acceptance. Jeb and Peter looked resigned and Sheriff just looked like he was going to puke. Amos was absolutely nonplussed and actually stood at Sheriff's side.

I took a few practice lashes and then let that evil whip sing.

*** ***

I've done worse things in my life; I've put bullets into young men and I've called in indirect fire on places I couldn't see - places probably containing innocents just trying to escape the madness. I always walked the fire bringing the total devastation that walking artillery brings.

The nine tails sung through the air and met bare skin. It was a new level of awful. It wasn't final and it was only intended to inflict maximum pain.

He stayed standing.

The tails sang through the air again, this time their crescendo was blood.

His knees sagged and he screamed, but he still held on to that tree. This guy wasn't weak of spirit.

I gave him a moment and I took a moment. I turned and handed the whip to Peter. He simply shrugged like I'd asked him to dry the dishes, and then took to the task. It was probably uglier to watch than to do it.

Jeb was a professional soldier. He wasn't squeamish either. The lash sang again with brutal efficiency.

Our guy was on his knees but still clinging to that tree, his back was streaked in red and blood flowed.

Sheriff was last and he resisted until Amos went to him. Whatever that young man said, worked. The lash didn't sing but it hummed through the air and Sheriff managed to hold onto it long enough to get it back in my hands. It would be interesting to hear his take on this later.

Our guy still clinched the tree.

**** Chapter 148 -- St. Charles and Beyond ****

By: Emmeran, 18 May 2021

Editor: nnpdad 20 May 2021

Published: 25 May 24, 2021

"Zach Narrator, you've just whipped a man. What are you going to do now?"

Well, the answer sure as hell wasn't a cheerful, "I'm going to Disney World!"

I walked over and simply told him to get to his feet and follow me. I watched as he pulled himself erect with grim determination and then I slowly stepped toward my little camp, with him wavering, but walking tall behind me. When we reached my tiny campfire - really just a hole in the ground with a fire burning down inside it - I had him sit and try to get comfortable.

I handed him a cup of coffee fortified with a small measure of whiskey and then dug into my pack for my magic pills. I cut one in half and told him to swallow it down. I sat back to smoke a cigarette while we waited for the pill to do its thing.

That grunt candy worked its magic in about 10 minutes. At the quarter hour mark, it was time to clean and dress his wounds. Maybe we'd have a little conversation as well.

I sat behind him and gently cleaned his wounds with freshly boiled water and then applied some wound gel and wrapped his body in long strips of cloth that served as our band-aids. They were homemade, but as sterile as we could get them.

I finally called it done and stepped around to look him in the eye.

"Rabbi, that was a very stupid and brave thing to do. Why?"

"Someone had to do it. I could tell that a sacrifice had to be made. You didn't have a choice, Mr. Narrator."

"It's Zach. But still, I would have figured something out."

"I felt moved, urged by the spirit."

"Well, you now have suffered as many of the prophets of old suffered. I'll remind you to look to the Rules of Rulo, for they are built around the rules written by the hand of God."

"I have thought long on your rules and they are just. God is the ultimate Judge and as people we should only enforce rules to keep people from wronging another."

"In the end, only he can judge Rabbi. We simply pretend to know. I trust the truths and those truths are written in the world around us, not in the script of man."

He was stewing on the philosophy and I didn't know enough about the Jewish religions to speak wisely. I actually had to choose this man, the man I had just tortured, to help lead the way. I wrapped the other half of the magic pill in a small strip of band-aid and handed it to him.

"Take that when the pain is tremendous again. I have more of them but they are as dangerous as a temptress's softly spoken words. They will eat your soul if you allow them to."

I stood and finished, "Wait here for now. Amos will fetch you any books, if you want to study. Do not sleep. I'll be back and you will ride with the captains."

With that, I walked away to organize the resumption of our trip to St. Charles. We'd be there soon. The Rabbi's sacrifice had just twisted my head. New considerations simply were not what I needed right now. I was going to ride ahead to St. Charles. Jeb and Peter could bring the herd in.

I found Jeb with little effort and passed that last thought to him. I'd go secure a pasture for the herd and then I'd see him down in town for dinner. It was 'lunch on the move' today. The Narrator was obviously in a foul mood and everyone wanted to be away from him. So I left.

Everyone but Sheriff and Amos, it seemed. We sat the Rabbi on a horse and off we went. We'd find a field that they could camp in, with room for the herd. Then we'd let Jeb sort the situation from there. We were only a couple hours out of town, anyway. I planned to get to town and find a bath. I felt the need for a good cleansing and I needed to see if Timmons and his boats had shown up yet. The poor Rabbi just needed a good meal and a good bed.

**** ****

We easily found a good hay field with fresh water. The struggling farmer was indeed happy to accept cold, hard cash to put us up for a couple of days. His young son was happy to watch for the herd and guide them in, for a nickel.

The four of us arrived in St. Charles shortly after noon. We had a small issue with getting Sheriff a room, but I explained that the good Prince was very gratuitous and they wouldn't regret his stay. That title came in handy again and all that Sheriff had to do is stand there and look regal. The man's physical presence did that all on its own. Amos was in the servants' quarters again, which he didn't mind. He was off to check the docks for our boats before I knew it. It was pretty obvious that he was aching to see Madeleine.

I simply wanted a bath and a clean set of clothes. Everything felt tainted right now. My town clothes hung while I bathed and I felt like a new man. Generally, I didn't mind a bit of road grime, but unpleasant activity always left me feeling sullied.

I then picked up Sheriff so we could take our dinner. That man definitely filled out a suit, and with his looks and a bit of cash, nobody would say a word. This was also the type of situation where I didn't mind dropping the hint that 'The Narrator' was back in town, with African Royalty as his guest. There were moments where a fearful reputation served you well.

Besides, St. Charles really only had one decent dining room and two bars, one of very dubious quality. There was also an establishment down at the riverfront. It served mainly boatmen and that atmosphere held a high attraction to me at this moment.

We ate a fairly pleasant meal at the restaurant. As I considered what I would do next, it was possibly time to blow off some steam. I just might be headed down to the riverfront.

Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers
12