10 Pound Bag Ch. 161-165

Story Info
Serial Saga of a man twitched back in time.
5.2k words
4.74
8.6k
7

Part 34 of the 48 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Emmeran
Emmeran
357 Followers

15 June 2021

Editor: nnpdad 18 June 2021

It was a different group of men on the road with me the next day. They had all been blooded and suddenly understood the reasoning behind all the things we had drilled into them. We were four days from home and only had two minor rivers to ford before we got there.

Most of these guys didn't see it as home, it was still just the 'Promised Land' to them; but it would be home quickly enough, it was plain to see they intended to make that happen. Nothing could make me happier. I've always believed in changing the world one life at a time and here I was, giving forty people a new, fresh, and free start.

The Kansa had shown us a good fording spot just a few miles upriver and we managed the crossing without notable incident and we were on our way again. These men had all matured during this trip and the final few days passed without anything of note. The crew managed the herds and themselves as if they were old hands and been doing this for years.

We actually had a few budding 'cowboys' in the bunch. There were a couple of fellas who just seemed naturally attuned to the herds and loved being horseback. You could see it in the steeds they chose and the manner in which they rode; a few seemed to be actually able to talk to the herd and get them to follow. One of the young Jewish guys definitely wasn't following in his father's banking footsteps; that lad was rider and a fighter from the word 'Go.' He started to gravitate towards my little group, day by day, I wasn't quite sure what to make of that.

His name was 'Abraham' and he went by 'Abe.' He was a good-sized lad and looked to be about seventeen but I never asked. He was also devout and spent a portion of every evening in his books, the rest of the time he was simply full of questions, energy and youthful appetite. I couldn't wait to see the girl this one took up with.

The summer heat was stifling and come mid-day everyone was drowsing in the saddle or on the hoof, even the most rambunctious young heifer or colt settled into that dull-eyed walk. We spent a lot of time at streams and had to fight to keep the herd out of the trees, since they were gravitating to cool shady areas.

We made earlier starts each morning and pushed on into the cooling evening dusk to make up for our lost time. Regardless, we ended up falling behind schedule a little as every afternoon found us in a cool shady area to escape the heat wave.

Rain finally came at the end of the third day, it was muggy and steamy, but no person or animal attempted to escape the cooling downfall. The temperature dropped and stayed down as the sun fell and we finally got a good night's sleep, which was very welcome. That rain continued on and off for the next two days, but never got heavy enough to turn the trail into muck. We crossed the Nemaha in that gentle summer rain.

Pete was there to greet us at the crossing. My guys had the experience and took the herd across without losing any stock. Our guy in the travois got a bath but even being soaked was worth having made it. I gathered the crew around and welcomed them, telling them this was our land and this was our home. I held off on any extended speeches. It was late in the day and we needed to set up camp; tomorrow, we'd ride into Rulo.

We relaxed and took it easy that night, Pete's scouts were all around and the herd wasn't going anywhere. Everybody got a full belly followed by a full night's sleep, the rain kept the temperature cool enough to require a blanket at night. It was a welcome situation and I slept very well. Somehow I knew that tomorrow the game would start again, there would be no more riding along and chatting with Sheriff, Amos or Jeb. No more brotherly practical jokes and unstructured conversation; laughter would be hard to come by and Rulo would now contain more than one hundred people. I was their de facto leader, whether I liked it or not. Frankly, I was sick of being in charge.

**** ****

Morning came and we took our time. Yes, I had that second cup of coffee and relaxed a little longer. We knew the boats weren't in yet and that tempered the edge on the crew a little bit, we relaxed a half hour longer than normal before we started.

We were a half an hour away from the Rulo herds when the cattle caught sniff of the other herd and started to sound for them. The horses were much the same and started getting antsy, about fifteen minutes out the horses started calling as well.

We just let the two herds come together. We only cut out any young bulls or stallions that we didn't want in there causing problems. That was a piece of work in itself but young Abe showed off his talent and we had a small herd of five frustrated critters penned into a small corral that had been set up down at the head of Rulo road.

This was where I caught my first glimpse of the progress that had been made in my absence. Of course, Michelle was there to welcome me with Mouse by her side and I did get hugs and kisses, lots of both. It was nice.

They had built a small cabin down here for the cowboys to stay in while they watched the herds. There were also two corrals to separate animals out, when necessary. There was the start of a barn going up and it was all beginning to look quite domesticated. A far cry from the tent and campfire setup I had seen here last.

The surprises were only just beginning.

**** Chapter 162 -- Home Again ****

By: Emmeran, 15 June 2021

Editor: nnpdad 18 June 2021

Well, the first order of business was to drop the herd off in the pasture. We had men down there who not only welcomed us (back) to Rulo, but took over the new livestock and integrated them into the current herd. This was done way too readily; someone had obviously planned for this. I'd been gone just over a month and it was very apparent that things had not stood still during my absence, just the bunkhouse down here was a good example.

So it was simply me and the crew continuing on the road up to my homestead and Rulo. Actually, Brin and Amos led the way and the rest of us trailed along behind them in a group. For most of them, this wasn't a homecoming; this was the first taste of freedom; for today I just let them see and absorb it. Tomorrow was time enough for fancy statements.

Fortunately, as we came out of the woods, I noticed that the field of corn, the 'corn out of time', was now nearing full height and almost ready for first harvest. The corn was tall, between five and six foot per stalk. This meant we might be having sweet corn for dinner and just the thought had my mouth watering, of course, I'd be sick of sweet corn by the end of September but that's just the way these things worked. The squash had come in nicely, also, and I could see that some summer squash - I always think of it as 'baby squash' - had already been harvested.

We finally crossed the stream and made our way around my little homestead. The road now passed close by the palisade but didn't go through it, I didn't need all that traffic traipsing through my front yard. The men were all staring around with big eyes, taking in their new home, each face had a different reaction but most looked pleased. It was still too quiet and not a soul was to be seen, I wondered what they were planning.

Well, we found out pretty quick, the temporary village was fully setup with tables and even some decorations. The cooking fires were going full blast and meat was being turned on the spit. One of the spit lads ran over to me, full of excitement, and reported, "The boats are coming in, sir, and we're going to have a feast!!" Well that lad was all over himself with excitement and I had to shoo him back to his duties, so we could head down to the Landing ourselves.

I gathered the men around and gave them the word, cheers and happiness was the overwhelming reaction. New home and your family back all at the same time, this was like Christmas morning for a four year old. So off we went to Rulo Landing at a quick canter. Amos was keeping pace with Brin and me. He had a big old grin plastered all over his face and he had diarrhea of the mouth that wouldn't stop. He prattled on about anything and everything, but mostly about his girl.

He did manage to notice that the road was almost finished and that the upper pasture had been fully fenced with rough wood fencing. Downtown Rulo almost blew my mind as the main block was almost entirely cleared of standing trees. We had one rough building in the wood shop and as we approached the end, there was a large Pawnee-type lodge built up on the bluff. We drew up there for a moment.

From our viewpoint we could see the landing down below and could see our boats were slowly moving towards the dock to make landing. It was a glorious sight to see and I took the minute to savor it. The shore was lined with people and the boats were packed. The boatmen strained on their poles to defeat the current until they slipped into the calm waters of our little artificial bay and started gliding towards either beach or dock.

I urged my horse forward and off we went to join in the welcoming celebration.

Inevitably, it was a mess, we had three groups of people and action from every direction. Horses were milling, dogs were barking and people were shrieking and laughing. The boatmen were trying to secure the boats and folks were trying to get off and I just sat there on my horse and laughed.

I felt relief, I was done with this trip and I was done with my responsibilities, at least for the day. Somebody was in charge of this little madcap show, but it sure as hell wasn't going to be me, I assumed. I hoped that Michele and Sonya had thought this through.

I just sat there on-horse and smoked a cigarette. My captains were wise enough to settle in with meell, except for Jeb, he was down there in that mess somewhere finding his family.

I felt a tapping on my leg and looked down to see Mouse staring up at me with those beautiful eyes, I simply reached down and locked arms with her then I swung her up onto the horse behind me. Well, onto the mule, I was riding one of the big mules today and he had plenty of room up there on his back. As tall as Mouse was she still weighed very little with a lithe young body and legs that went on forever.

She simply molded herself to my back and we sat there watching quietly. It was quite a show and I was greatly amused. Sheriff decided we needed to do something about the horses and took Amos to go gather up the loose mounts. It seems some of the men had simply dismounted and went rushing down to wait for the family as the boats docked. The two of them gathered up all of those ponies and tied them back up along the trail, clearing up a little confusion.

I whistled up Brin, Mila & Kordi and sent them to stay in the shade near us. The madness cleared a little more and the noise factor dropped a bit also.

Of course, that calm only lasted until the children were released from the boats. 'Cry Havoc,' indeed. Several dozen children who had just been cooped up on boats for three weeks, mixing with several dozen new kids?

Helter Skelter is the term I prefer.

**** Chapter 163 -- Helter Skelter ****

By: Emmeran, 16 June 2021

Editor: nnpdad 18 June 2021

Mouse stuck to me like glue. Ever had a monkey on your back? I had a Mouse at my side every moment throughout the rest of the day.

Reunion with Michelle? That was a hug and a peck on the cheek with Mouse snuggling up tightly next to me.

My assistant/little sister Sonya? She was too busy being a good assistant and didn't even have time to talk to me. I got a quick hug and that was it.

Matilda? I got a scornful look and then was made to rub her tummy where I thought there might be a small bump.

But through it all, Mouse was glued to me. She was my shadow or, more often, was leading me somewhere. What a fool I was to think that I was in charge of my own life.

There were still Mary and Banshee to deal with. Why did I come back?

I found Timmons first. He was with his family, but I pulled him away. We had to sort this mess and fast. We had four boat crews that needed handling before we had an issue, the guys needed to know the plan so they could be settled and happy. Fabiola showed her worth at that moment. The boatmen were all to sleep in the new boatsman's lodge house tonight, after the cargo was unloaded. It would be tight because she hadn't expected four boats when they built the lodge. But it would work.

Michelle and Sonya showed their mettle by announcing that working parties had already been set up to transport the goods to town and to stand guard tonight. The newcomers were already being organized to start the walk up to the village. Timmons and I simply looked at each other and shrugged.

I mounted, with Mouse still attached. Brin and his bitches led us as we started to make our way back up the bluff to home. At the top of the bluff, I turned to look back and the sheer number of people shocked me. With all the kids counted, we numbered more than a hundred. What the hell had I done here?

Heck, my cattle now numbered almost two hundred head, in total. 40-odd of them were dairy cattle in varying stages of production. There was a woman-girl plastered to my back and making her intentions delightfully yet distressingly clear. She still seemed too young for me; I'm not a cradle robber.

I also had to deal with Banshee and Mary, those two were the jokers in the deck and I seriously didn't want any part of either of them. Regardless of how attractive they might be, nothing good would come of that sort of encounter. Actually, I just wanted a shower so I kicked my mount up to a canter and headed home. I had a shower there waiting; I also had bourbon and, hopefully, some fresh sweet corn.

At the corral I grabbed my saddle bags headed for my camper, I told Mouse to put up the mule and meet me later. Yes, it was rude, but I wanted a shower and clean clothes and I wanted a chance to think. I had forgotten how much easier it was to be away from all of these women problems. I briefly considered saddling Lunch and heading off to finish my deal with Henry Leavenworth. Being on the trail alone again would be a hell of a lot easier than dealing with this.

I stormed into my trailer, cranked the music loud, and climbed into the shower. I had left my clothing and gear all over the floor and I ran the water hot; I simply wanted to cleanse myself completely. Thoughts of the recent journey and all that I had done, raced through my head while the music thundered in my ears. I had to let myself purge this frustration-based energy. Homecoming was actually more stressful for me than I had realized. The beginning of this entire endeavor was an attempt to flee people and responsibility and now I found myself with more of both than ever. I was also worried that I was truly falling in love again.

Oh wait! And a kid on the way that I couldn't even explain. It was my kid and I'd do it properly like a good dad, but I didn't feel like I was even allowed a say in the matter so far. What if I'm not allowed a say in how that child is raised? I did feel used in this circumstance. There wasn't ever a single instance between Matilda and myself where it was a pre-conceived agreement that we were sleeping together that night. Or to be accurate 'Fucking.' Possibly we were just breeding, but I wasn't advised or consulted.

The hot water continued to pour over my body and the music pounded as my thoughts raged. This was supposed to have been a fun day for everyone, but for me there was frustration, doubt and fear. So many things were happening beyond my control in my personal life, Mouse was simply another example. I wasn't choosing between all these wonderful women, instead I was Mouse's designated mate and if I didn't accept that, there would be an emotional firestorm.

Mind you, I did think that I was falling in love with Ms. Cuupirikpahaa. But, damn it, I really wanted to have a say in the path of events.

The song ended and it was time to get out and face my reality.

A new reality it was. Also, one full of surprises.

I really should have listened more carefully.

Cuupirikpahaa was there to dry me off when I came out of the shower. She was still as beautiful and delightful as ever. She was there in simply a short shift that displayed those amazing legs and with those eyes that stole my breath.

All of my dirty gear was gone from the floor and at my desk/table there was a fresh beer and a measure of bourbon. If this girl was trying to win, she was doing a great job of it.

I sat down to have a cigarette and a bit of drink while I considered my world.

My newly changed world.

A beautiful girl hanging all over me.

A woman named Michelle whispering to me during a greeting hug.

Whispering, "I think I'm pregnant."

**** Chapter 164 -- Sweet Matilda ****

By: Emmeran, 16 June 2021

Editor: nnpdad 19 June 2021

Mouse was laying out clothing for me.

I was trying to get drunk and this young woman was insisting on trimming my hair and dressing me up proper. Hell, she even brought in Matilda to make it happen and, yes, I got a clean shave; I didn't dare move a muscle while Matilda had that razor at my face.

I just smoked, drank and listened to music. If they wanted me to dress up, then I would, hell I didn't care as long as I got some fresh roasted sweet corn. I wanted more beer and bourbon also, I'd worry about pussy later on. I could probably comfortably pass the evening without spawning another child. Hell, Michelle had told me that was her plan and I foolishly didn't believe her.

She had made it very clear that we were just friends and business partners but then she went and did that? Michelle had told me that she wanted a baby, but I thought she was just floating an example. Now I find out that she was being honest; the woman was looking for a child, not a husband. Now that left me with two children to figure out how to be a father to. There was no way I wasn't going to do my best, but heck, I'd never had a kid with a partner before and now I was going to have two with friends?

'Was friends even the accurate description?' I wondered, as Matilda shaved my face and Michelle fussed over how Mouse's hair looked? Words couldn't describe how this situation felt to me. While I stood stock still, being fussed over, I wondered if I got the truck up to eighty-eight miles per hour, would I just jump back through time and continue on my simple journey to an uncomplicated life on my ranch in the Grand Tetons? I was sure there was enough room to build up that speed on the old field road, I just lacked the however many gigawatts of power and that funny X-box movie prop thing or the Mr. Fusion.

Sadly, eighty-eight miles per hour would never be enough, you were still stuck with what life dealt you. The madness of the time twitch seemed to be only understood by those with the colorless eyes. Yes, the cards had changed in my hand while I was playing them, but I had no choice but to go on playing them regardless.

I realized that I would have to speak to the people of Rulo in their entirety tonight, I had to stand up and play that leader figure so they didn't feel rudderless and adrift. I would call out our heroes and identify our leaders tomorrow or Sunday. Tonight I needed to merely do a cheerful welcome to Rulo and get on with dinner.

I turned the music back on and found a song that lifted my spirits. I could go all dark, drunk and moody later. Aunty was out there somewhere waiting for me to say the right things to lift the spirits and push people forward. I felt the yoke of responsibility as it settled on my shoulders yet again.

I called for my council and I called for my captains, I needed my man Amos as well. If I had to suffer through this so would they. I strode out freshly shaved and washed but shirtless, with a trail of women traipsing behind me complaining noisily. Nobody was doing much to improve my mood and Mouse looked increasingly distressed; in fact, she got pissed off enough to start chasing all the other women away. Hell, I might have a real partner in her.

Emmeran
Emmeran
357 Followers
12