10 Pound Bag Ch. 215-219

Story Info
Serial Saga of a man twitched back in time.
5.4k words
4.72
5k
25
Story does not have any tags

Part 48 of the 48 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers

Chapter 215 - Hoot to Trill

By: Emmeran, 1 Aug 2022

Editor: nnpdad 3 Aug 2022

I didn't hurry on my way out and even patiently waited for Brin when I had to send him back to get his knucklebone. I suppose he could sense that I was feeling distressed and left it behind in his urgency to be there when I called. I scooped up Lunch's reins and settled into the saddle. It wasn't a hurry-up type of thing, just a long-practiced movement that appeared liquid smooth when performed in such a mood.

I was burnt out emotionally and really needed a day to recharge my emotional energies. I knew that the upcoming postal trip would involve far more social interaction than I liked and that I needed to exude that diplomatic/salesman persona that was so foreign to me. Even thinking about it was enough to drain me, not to mention the fact that a young woman whom I loved very much was deeply upset by the current proceedings. Now, for fuck's sake, I had to deal with the loudmouths and the rest of my immediate clan before I could calm my little Mouse.

Lunch seemed to sense my mood and started ambling home, walking with a gait so smooth you would swear you were sitting on a rocking chair. I relaxed in the saddle and let him do his thing, the reins loosely wrapped around the pommel I simply sat back, lit a cigarette and enjoyed my moment of peace and quiet. It wouldn't be long before my clan members caught up to me with their questions, comments and contrite apologies. I enjoyed the silence of the dark while I could.

It wasn't long before I heard a fast trotting horse behind me, I had hardly finished my cigarette and pocketed the butt before they caught up. I had just enough time for a last small sip from my flask and then I had company. Naturally it was big old Sherriff on his mule and that mule wasn't interested in taking his time like Lunch was and tried to move on ahead. Sherriff's hauling at the reins wasn't doing much to slow that mule down but Lunch took exception and a swift nip brought that mangy mule into line. Lunch was the king of the herd and his desire was law; he got to eat what he wanted, fuck who he wanted, when he wanted and generally set the direction and pace in all things equine. It's good to be the King.

Sherriff had the wherewithal to catch the mood and respond in kind, so he was silent for a good minute or two as we plodded along together. Brin had taken off behind us to scout out who ever else was back there and we simply rode along in silence. I passed my flask to Sherriff who took it with a grunt of appreciation, after a stout swig he offered up his contrite apology.

"Tough day." Simple statement from him allowed to hang gently in the air, I simply grunted in response and we rode on in silence a while longer.

"I apologize for my part in it." Said and finished, he took another swig and handed my flask and handed it back. I hoisted the flask to him, taking a swig before replying.

"It's done and forgotten. New problems to think of." Really that was all I felt like saying and it's all I had to say.

We rode along in silence a while longer. There really wasn't much to say right now and no over-riding reason to say anything. Companionable silence is really good medicine when havoc has filled your day.

Eventually we heard the girls catching up with us from behind, obviously pregnant Michelle and Lucinda had squeezed together onto the dog cart. Accompanying them was Sonya showing once again how obviously uncomfortable she was on horseback.

I passed a look to Sherriff and tiredly said, "It's time for a buggy." Sherriff simply grunted in acknowledgement.

I do believe those were the last of the calming words spoken on the ride back to the compound. The air was heavy and cold but that didn't calm the women's chatter in the least. I do believe it actually warmed them while it slowly sucked the life out of Sherriff and me.

Brin finally showed back up, herding a wayward yearling steer, much to our surprise. I never did figure out how he ended up in the woods between my compound and Rulo, but Brin brought him back to us and that yearling happily fell in line with our little herd. He kept a little distance so there was a pretty good chance that the women's chattering unnerved him as much as it did us. When I did get a carriage for the women I'd have to insure that the team of horses could handle the chatter. Hell, maybe I'd just give them the llama as a team.

I attempted to avoid the long winded apologies from the ladies but it was for naught. To be honest each one of them somehow turned the entire episode into my fault, they were extremely adroit with the manipulation of logic and words. I mostly grunted in agreement and rode on.

It grew sharply colder and that finally put an end to the prattling behind me. We were able to finish the short journey in the clip-clop silence of the horses' gait and we could listen to the autumn night around us. The leaves would all be gone off of the trees with the next great rain or wind storm; darkness would dominate the world for a while.

The old and the ill would don more blankets and move closer to the fire seeking respite from the ever creeping cold. The cold was here to stay and the unprepared best beware, Autumn was giving us the warning that Winter was coming and as always Winter was ruthless.

We put the horses up in the corral and Amos was there to tend the tack for us so we simply walked across the compound to our respective homes.

As I passed the chicken coop I heard an owl hoot aggressively nearby. Our rooster trilled quietly telling his hens that they were safe on their roosts. It was a calm and reassuring trill lending strength to all that heard it.

I carried that spirit as I entered my home to comfort my beloved wife.

Chapter 216 - Winter Closing In

By: Emmeran, 3 Aug 2022

Editor: nnpdad 14 Aug 2022

The compound was quiet when I returned to it. There was a small fire going in our fire pit, providing minimal illumination in the common area while shadows smothered the details of all but the very closest objects. The light breeze that made it past the wooden palisade was not enough to perturb the fire or transform the cold night air into the bitter bite of winter. The fire would keep the night watch company and a bit more comfortable during their shift; it was an unpleasant but necessary task.

The night watch was a rotating duty covering the deepest hours of the dark. The primary responsibility was to watch the fires, keeping them properly safe and lit. Occasionally we'd have critter incursions but we'd not seen anything truly threatening yet, what with the dogs helping us watch and the cats making their nightly hunting forays. Coyotes and wolves weren't a problem for us yet and unless the weather took a severe turn for a long period, I doubted that they would be.

I had a few hours left before I had my turn out here. They had tried to leave me off the list but I insisted on inclusion. We already exempted heavily pregnant women and women with newborn infants, so I would be taking my turn in a few hours and I needed some rest before then. I slipped into my camper as quietly as possible, removed my coat and boots in the flickering light of the stove and slid carefully into bed.

Mouse was half awake and snuggled back against me muttering somnolently in her half-sleeping state. Quiet comfort was the order of business so I simply held her close and drifted in to join her just over the edge of sleep. I wandered there in a blissful doze for what was either hours or minutes before the soft rapping came at my door, calling me to watch. Mouse made as if to come with me but I bade her to sleep and dream sweetly. Even if I was a little tired and grumpy in the morning, sweet mannered Mouse would make my day so much the better. I pulled on my boots, a heavy sweater and my coat before I slipped out into the cold night and quietly called for Brin, insuring my hours on watch wouldn't be lonely.

As usual I took the dreaded death watch, to me it simply meant that I was getting up a few hours early in the morning. I could understand why so many dreaded it, because in the long nights of winter the sun still wouldn't be up when you were charged with making your wakeup rounds. However in the summer weather you got to watch the sun come up and enjoy the cool morning air in peace and solitude. It was one of the simple joys in life.

Tonight I expected to have a couple of hours on my own until the breakfast crew showed up. I wanted to do some thinking and play with my drone a bit; it had been actual months since I last got to use my own toy. I was relieving Holder on this night and he sat up for a while to chat with me. He was still a young guy and was more than a little confused by what had happened with Mouse.

I took the time to patiently explain the situation and events to him and you could hear his voice change as he realized what had actually happened from Mouse's point of view. He hadn't grown up with movies and books all around; his only real exposure to the opposite sex was once a week at church or dealing with his family. It was quite obvious that his female siblings did not deign to discuss their social life with their brother, no real surprise there.

He wandered away to bed after a bit, leaving Brin and myself alone with the night. The noises of the summer night were all but gone, with the cold weather coming on you could hear the trees creaking and the sounds of cattle and horses grumbling in the night. Other than that it was silent, dark and silent, giving me plenty of time to contemplate my current challenges and re-examine my solutions.

I made my rounds and peeked in on the fires, everybody was nice and cozy warm; I'd restoke the fires in about an hour but for now everything was running perfectly. A fresh pot of coffee was my next order of business and I refilled the broth pot so nice warm soup was available for me and the early risers. I wasn't sure what the broth was that night but it was tasty as usual, with lots of meat and veggie flavor but the meat remained a mystery. It could have been possum for all I knew; some of the guys swore by possum and trapped it special. I preferred my possums alive as they are great mousers and insect eaters with a preference for fleas and ticks; that's a good friend to have around your homestead.

With the four o'clock chores done I took the time to send the drone up. We wouldn't have light for hours yet but this was prime hours for troublemakers of both the four legged and two legged variety. A thermo-imaging sweep around the compound showed nothing. I swept the town, port and herds as well; it was a quiet night and trouble had found elsewhere to spend its efforts this night. I could see the night watch at each location, the people sitting close to the watch fire and all seemed to be alert. Most wild animals were tucked up in their dens staying warm or beginning their winter-long sleep.

The owls were the grand exception, sweeping the area looking for stray rodents of any sort. Cats had to be wary of them - well, most cats did. Our Maine Coon cats were too big and too damn violent for the owls to bother with.

I stowed the drone away and enjoyed a fresh cup of coffee before the morning crew awoke. My peaceful interlude was about to end and I regretted that more than a little. Next thing I knew, it was time to stoke the fires to full life and let the day begin.

Daybreak was still a couple of hours away.

Chapter 217 - Shuffling through the Leaves

By: Emmeran, 10 Aug 2022

Editor: nnpdad 16 Aug 2022

Contemplation during the wee hours of that cold autumn morning had left me with the beginnings of an idea; the seeds of a plan to smooth things over with my young wife and to actually get to spend some time with her. After all, what's the point of having an intelligent, charming and extremely beautiful wife if you never got to spend time with her? So this plan may have been a bit selfish on my part but then again when your woman could easily be a fashion model you should try to take advantage of that fact at every available moment.

Like most men, I don't talk much about the woman who chooses to grace my life. Words I say or even write are sparse and respectful and my devotion to Mouse was beyond anything I had yet experienced in my life. Love had struck me like a Dog Days thunderstorm; clear sky and fun was the forecast until the storm clouds actually formed directly above me. Lightning flashed and thunder shook the earth, with barely any warning. Affection, adoration and commitment came at me like a cloudburst. I was drenched to the bone and to my very soul. The only positive emotional charge I had ever felt that was more powerful, occurred when each of my children were born. Devotion to the point of swimming in a lake of lava and treading the fiery pits of Hell. Thus was defined the meaning of true love in my mind.

Thoughts of love and romance weren't much good unless you put them into action. Mouse was on breakfast duty. I resolved that with a quick word to Michelle and while Michelle sorted that out, I was in the trailer cleaning up. We'd have a private breakfast together before we started our day.

The day itself was going to be busy and Mouse would be accompanying me each step of the way. She wouldn't get much done in constructive work but it was time together. That was pretty much the rule on the frontier, take advantage of any opportunity you could get. While I would have loved to take her on the trip with me, we both knew it wouldn't work - there was way too much prejudice around.

Breakfast was lovely and sweet Madelyn had decided to play our server; we weren't served anything fancy, simply the standard fare with a little grace and small flourishes of presentation. The food was as tasty as ever and the privacy was divine, something to remember in future architectural plans.

Sadly the meal had to come to an end and there was a work schedule to keep if plans were to be furthered. The schedule called for meetings, tours and one-on-one conversations. Naturally everything revolved around more meetings and food. The mail boat was being readied for a speed run and my best bet was that we'd have two full days before departure. Best bets didn't work out that day as we would find out at the first meeting of the day.

We emerged from our private dining facility into the cool, crisp autumn air. Our toes nicely toasted and our bellies happily filled we closed up the camper and headed out to our day. I was quite surprised to find our horses saddled up and ready to go; that was very thoughtful on someone's behalf. We left before everyone else and took the time to enjoy a ride together. The horses made rustling music as they walked through the fallen leaves. You could see a lot more of the forest now with much of the foliage fallen. There were still plenty left on most trees as well creating a tapestry of color and adding to that true autumn concert of sight, smell and sound.

Lunch had learned long ago that if I climbed into the saddle with a mug of coffee in hand that it would be a very good idea to be the smoothest walking horse around. He was a smart horse - well, smart enough to realize he didn't want hot coffee sloshed on him. This was my commute after all and he was just lucky I wasn't dialed into some two-bit talk show loudmouth. Yes, in the modern future you could buy a riding rig that had attachments for all of that crap.

There are days when the commute just isn't long enough; this was one of those instances. I had no sooner crushed out my cigarette and tossed the cold dregs of my coffee away than we rode out of the tree line and into the beginnings of a proper village. Town hall, such as it was, was moments away and before you knew it, we were headed inside again. Boys were on hand to take care of the horses so we handed off our reins, whistled up Brin and fled into the warmth.

Well the foyer wasn't warm nor was the hallway, obviously you don't heat either of those spaces. Life without a foyer out here on the edge of the plains would be miserable and only pompous fools or the extremely poor built houses without them. Open floor plans didn't exist in cold country for a very simple reason: you only heated the rooms that needed it.

I remembered a car dealership I had visited once upon a future that actually had a foyer for their service garage, it was huge and actually really nifty. It worked as well keeping the cold air out and the warm air in; it probably more than paid for itself in heat and A/C costs.

We were the first people in that day. The fire had been started so I stoked it up and Mouse got a pot of coffee and some water for tea going. Brin, for his part, simply curled up in his favorite spot and started gnawing on an old bone he found. Mouse knew her way around and started getting the room ready for our work day. Sonya worked here all day every day as our Town Clerk, Mouse apparently came down with her often. The other half of the building did serve as our formal classroom and I knew that she helped teach along with many other people.

She also helped transcribe; right now all of our books were hand transcribed but that would change soon.

Folks started drifting in and the day got to moving along.

Chapter 218 - Preparing to go Postal

By: Emmeran, 30 Aug 2022 - 20 Sep 2022

Editor: nnpdad 21 Oct 2022

There was absolutely nothing for Mouse to do whilst I sat through the first meetings of the day. This was not a good thing, Mouse was not the sort of woman to sit around daydreaming. She always preferred to be doing something; perpetual motion was a trademark of that woman of mine. While we discussed and argued, she freshened the fire and made a new pot of coffee for us meeting-dwellers. With that all done she disappeared out the conference room door.

Meanwhile, at the table we were discussing the overall progress of the efforts to the Postal contract. It turned out that we would be ready to leave for Fort Atkinson this afternoon and the slow river current of autumn meant we could be there by nightfall. While this sucked in that I'd be travelling overnight again so soon, it also meant that I could be back again tomorrow and ready to head south.

The season was a big reason for our need for speed. Every day took us another step closer to the onset of winter and the idling of the boats until spring. The unpredictability of early winter storms greatly increased the risk of staying on the river too long. We couldn't afford to lose our boat until we could purchase or build a couple more. We had plenty of wood for construction and enough pig iron to build a couple of engines. The big slowdown on building boats was a lack of experienced shipwrights and smiths. We were hiring apprentices everywhere we could find them but it was still a slow process. We worked out plans to do more recruiting up at Fort Atkinson during this visit.

There was an issue: by taking a blacksmith or shipwright along to recruit on these journeys, we would slow productivity here by a tremendous amount. However if we didn't start recruiting talented and experienced folk, our productivity would never increase to keep pace with our growing needs. It was a true dilemma We resolved to visit both shops this morning and upon my return from Ft. Atkinson, a decision would have been made and I'd pick up passengers, if any.

All of that accomplished and it only took two hours! We did have a tentative route map with estimated times; we'd start to catalog those times on this run so that we'd have the basics of a schedule worked out before next spring. That was if the weather and the steam engine held during this run. We were running on coal and would refill the hoppers in St. Louis. One of my goals was to strike a contract for coal while I was down in St Louis; it would guarantee a ready supply for the coming year. The postal contract was a ten year contract and we needed to think along those lines. I also knew that as steam engines grew in popularity, the demand for coal would rise. Competition was guaranteed over the long haul.

Emmeran
Emmeran
356 Followers
12