#13 Here

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I laughed.

"Cook's rules!" she announced, as she went back to the kitchen.

About 10 minutes later, she called, "Dinner's ready."

I went into the kitchen and stood next to her where she had put the plates. I hoped for contact from her again, but didn't get it. We went to the couch, and I asked what she wanted to watch.

She paused, then said, "Well, we're having second helpings, so how about Shrek 2?

"I think that's available on demand. Let me see," I replied.

"MMMmmmm!" she purred with her first bite of pizza.

After we ate, we both laughed at the movie. Admittedly, I tried to subdue my laughs, just so I could better listen to her delightful laughter. We sat only 8-9 inches apart this time, and one time after her hands had come up as she laughed, her hand came down on my thigh, but then was quickly withdrawn. Startled by the sensations that had triggered, I looked at her. She gave me quick smirk, and turned back to laugh at the movie. I had a more difficult time focusing on the movie after that.

Once the movie was done, she poured the remains of the wine into each of our glasses, which each ended up barely half full. "Time for dessert!" she chimed and popped up off the couch.

"You brought dessert?" I questioned.

"Family recipe. I made it today," she said, bringing out two plates and forks. She handed me one, and then she sat down, lightly rubbing elbows with me. "Bread pudding...with Irish whiskey, of course."

"Thank you for this delicious bonus to the leftovers!" I said, then added, "I consider this one IOU paid off."

"One down, four to go," she mumbled around the bread pudding in her mouth.

"Really, you can forget about the IOU's" I chuckled.

"Nope," Ciara said sharply, "I have my plans. You'll see. It may take some time, though."

"No hurry," I responded.

She moved a little farther away, and then brought a knee up onto the couch so that she faced me. "Nate?"

"Yeah?"

She took a deep breath. "I've two days left to decide if I can stay...and it's not looking good. I am probably not going to be good company on Tuesday, that last day. But, I am really hoping you will keep me company later that day. I am going to need you."

"Bring it on," I immediately answered, and she smiled. I continued, "It was hard enough when I saw you had been crying that day you got laid off. I worried for days that you were alright. So, I would much rather have you here, where I have a chance to help."

Bending forward, she said, "I'm sorry," and she laid a hand on my forearm. "I didn't know you were worrying about me. I could have told you later that day that I was doing better!" and pulled her hand away.

My eyes went down, and I said, "There was no reason you should have been aware. I didn't know I'd be so concerned until I saw you that day."

"Did I really look that bad?" she winced.

"Well..." I dragged out.

"Sorry," she said, once again, "Maybe you're just too nice."

"Only to you," I chuckled.

Ciara gave me a wink, and then stood up, "Guess I should scoot."

"Want to start with lunch on Tuesday?" I asked.

She was stretching her shoulders, and she responded, "Thanks, but we'll have to see if I'm even hungry then." She picked up everything off of the coffee table and took it to the kitchen, before dividing it into trash, recycling, or dishwasher. She set her own container next to her clutch purse.

I walked to the door as she did. "See ya Tuesday," she grinned.

"You can stop by tomorrow if you want to," I offered.

She reached up and kissed my cheek, "Nah. Don't want you to get too used to me being around. We have another month to go and I don't want to wear out my only companion." She opened the door and slipped out. I heard her climbing the stairs.

Tuesday - March 31st

I opened the door at about noon, and she stood there with a modest frown. "This is it," she grumbled. I waved her in and she dragged forward, carrying a small bag. "Here I am, now breaking the Stay-At-Home order they issued yesterday."

I walked her over to the couch and she slumped onto it. Those beautiful eyes were still deep, but lacked any sparkle. "Any good news?" I asked, trying to make the concern in my voice clear.

She shook her head, and her loose locks fell around her lowered face. "Actually," she started, before issuing a big sigh, "Everything is worse...well, except you," and she added a lethargic pat to my knee.

"Tell me," I requested.

"Aaarrhhhh!" she growled, pulling her fingers through her hair, as she flopped back against the cushion. "Let's see; the governor clarified the definition of an 'Essential' business yesterday, and now my job is definitely gone for April, and maybe longer. The spa called and sympathized. But they told me that even if they can partially reopen, I am not in the 'A-List', so I won't be going back right away. They even suggested I may want to look for different job, to survive."

"Then, the rumored government checks aren't likely to be here in time to pay my May rent, assuming Congress even approves the stimulus package. And, I called good ol' dad last night, and he doesn't care if none of my money problems are my fault. He would rather break my will, so that I will come home, rather than help me stay here. Nobody ever described him as being sympathetic!"

"Sorry about that, and especially your dad," I offered.

"Yeah, thanks," she said, with another sigh, "but there's more. My unemployment is probably still two weeks out before I see a check. When I pay this month's rent, I'll have maybe $800 left for food, utilities and car insurance, so I sure can't rent a new place. I do have one offer to share a place with a girlfriend for a few months, but she is an emergency room nurse! So, that does nothing for my safety concerns about the virus."

"Guess you have a good reason to be depressed," and I raised my arm and patted her shoulder. Her response was to slump to her left, and, to my delight, put her head against my ribs. I cautiously rested my hand on her right upper arm.

She sniffled lightly, and without looking, her hand fumbled in her bag until it found a tissue. "I came prepared," she sniffed, "Anyway, I don't see that I have any option but to put in my move-out notice today. And, of course, the complex's office closed up tight, as of today, so I'll have to dig around their clumsy website to see if I can do it online."

"I'm sure something will work out," I said, even knowing how lame it sounded.

"Yeah...thanks...that and about $2,000 in the next month may get me out this, IF the economy reopens in May."

I took a chance and swept the loose hair from her face.

"That's nice," she whispered.

Encouraged, I slowly combed my fingers through her rich hair, noting the really dark chestnut color could almost look black when the light didn't illuminate it.

"HHMMmmm..."she quietly purred. "I hardly slept last night," she revealed in hushed mumble, before she shifted, swept her hair behind her right ear, and dropped her head onto my thigh, with her right hand under her cheek. Surprised, I looked around for someplace for my right arm to rest. Finally seeing the only reasonable choice, and yielding to the temptation, I laid my arm down her right side, with my hand spread around her waist.

"Very nice," she mumbled, moments before the sounds of her sleep emerged.

I thought I could let her sleep for half an hour, so that she'd be a little more refreshed. I took the time to examine her. There was that lovely complexion I had seen the day she that wore the ponytail. Then I noted how really long her eyelashes were. The gentle line of her nose was perfect for her face. She had a tiny mole close to her right ear, which provided a cheerful reminder of how the rest of her skin was so clear and smooth. A small smile rested across her face, and I wondered if it was always there when she slept.

I studied the pleasant fullness of her breasts, with just a hint of cleavage showing at her neckline, as her arm pressed them to the side. Moving my eyes down, there was no apparent tummy bump, even with her knees up. I swept my nearby thumb across her loose T-shirt to add a bit of confirmation about her fitness. Having seen her in tighter clothes other times, I knew she had a small and firm butt that looked as if it would be wonderful to stroke if she lain on top of me.

I continued my examination, noting even smaller details, like the way her T-shirt rippled until it disappeared into the slight gap at the waist of her loose, painter-style jeans. I imagined how smooth that stomach would feel to my fingers, if I was to slip my hand under her shirt. How warm would her skin feel? What sounds would she make as my palm crossed over her navel? It seemed my hand could spread clear across the width of her narrow body, if I were to try. I imagined the delightful comfort of spooning against her, with my arm wrapping clear to the other side of her waist...

My stomach growled loudly.

"How long did I sleep?" she yawned.

I looked at my watch. "3 hours!" I said, in astonishment.

"What!" she almost barked as she sat up, "3 hours! I'm so sorry. You must be starving. And I have to file that move-out notice!" Then she looked in my eyes, put a hand on my cheek, and smiled, "That nap felt really good. Thank you."

"I rather enjoyed it myself," I chuckled.

She shook her head, "Really? 'Rather enjoyed...!' You really know how to dazzle a girl with words, don't you?" Then, suddenly, the happiness in her face washed away, and she looked directly into my eyes, searching, "Or is it me?! Is that the way you really feel? And...oh God...I have never asked if you have a girlfriend. Am I intruding on your life? Are you just to kind to say anything!? I should have known! A nice guy like you should have been snapped up ages ago!"

"Stop, STOP!" I pleaded, as her eyes raced around my face, searching for answers. "There's no girl, or girlfriend, that you need to worry about. And it's me. I tend to understate my feelings. I'm too cautious about being trapped by my words when I make a definitive declaration. So, okay, it was delightful watching you sleep in my lap, and I really hope you will do it again. There. I hope that is quite clear."

Her eyes slowed their searching, and the tension sagged out of her shoulders. Then a big smile grew across her face, "'Definitive declaration...!' Do you have a dictionary I can keep handy when I'm here?"

"There is an old one in the bookcase, right there. But it's older than you! Belonged to my parents. I keep it because of the impressive, gold-embossed spine!" I said, with a grin.

Ciara laughed, and pulled her tablet out of her bag. The laugh quickly faded, and was replaced by a long sigh, "Alright, I have to get busy here. You have anything to eat that we can nuke real quick?

"Stouffers' Escalloped Chicken & Noodles, okay?" I asked.

"No frozen cheeseburgers?"

"Sorry" I replied

"Then the Stouffers' whatever-it-is is fine."

"Under ten minutes," I responded.

"Got it," she said, as she stayed focused on her tablet.

When the Stouffers was ready, I popped another in for myself, and took hers to her, with a fork and on a paper plate with holder. "Careful. It's hot," I warned,

"No kidding," she said, distractedly, as she set her fork back down.

I went back to the kitchen and waited for my meal to be done. Once done, I took it out and sat beside her. I slowly ate, and quietly watched, as she cursed her way through numerous menus, between bites of food. As she downed her last bite, she cheered, "Found It!"

I sat and listened to her mutterings as she worked, "YEAH, Yeah, yeah...Geez, what a stupid question...No shit, Sherlock!" Then she made a grand gesture of a big tap, and then sighed, "Well, that's it. I will no longer be your neighbor in 30 days."

"Sorry" I too simply replied.

"You ain't the only one," she replied, dejection clear in her voice.

She sat, bent well forward. The wall of hair, which almost touched her knees, blocked any view of her face. I reached over and gently stroked the back of her shoulders, and felt a big sigh. A few moments later, she sighed again, and then said, "I can't just sit here. Mind if I help with your puzzle?"

"Please...have at it," I happily replied, glad to hear her wanting to do something... anything, as I pulled my hand away.

She took the case for her glasses out of her bag, stood and shuffled over to the dining table. Pulling a chair out, she put the glasses on, and paused to survey the paper printout, and the work that I had done so far. I sat on the opposite side, after turning on several lights.

After a sad sounding chuckle, she sighed, "Look at that idyllic cabin and lake. You think that is a real place, or just the artist's imagination?"

"I suppose we all want to believe it is real," I sighed, "so that we can hope to be there some day."

"Yeah," she said, with a hint of cheer, "You see that peaceful scene, and you never think that it could have a mortgage, or rent payments. Or even repairs, insurance, or taxes."

"You just did," I responded, trying of mask my chuckle.

Those bluest of eyes slowly scanned up to my face, with a twinkle trying to escape. Her mouth curved in a small smile, and stayed there as her eyes dropped back to the puzzle, while she tried a piece in the cabin's chimney.

We stayed rather quiet for the next hour, but I saw her movements grew more rapid and insistent, as she seemed to get more involved. She seemed focused on a distant group of cabins that were on the far side of the lake. Finally, she tried several parts in one spot, and then growled out her frustration. She sat back, "Can I use your bathroom?"

"Of course," I answered.

Her denim painters pants made gentle 'whooshes' as she past behind me. A few minutes later, the bathroom door opened and a moment later, her hand landed on top of my head, and then vigorously ruffled my hair. She sat, glanced at me, and then looked down to hide her snicker. "You're a mess...sorry."

I should have told her I didn't mind, and I'd like her to do it again. But, cautious me just chuckled and got up and went and combed my hair. Then I returned.

"You're rather neat, aren't you?" Ciara questioned, "Your bathroom is neat and your bedroom is uncluttered. You're not OCD or anything, are you?"

"No!" I laughed, "I used to be messier, but got to the point where I preferred to keep things neater, rather than have huge cleaning projects every month or so."

"Oh, yeah," she concurred, "I think I am getting closer to that idea, too. For me it is down to weekly cleaning projects."

After a while longer, she sat back, and closed her eyes.

"Tired?" I asked.

"Not so much sleepy...just resting my eyes," she replied, with her eyes still closed.

I went back to the puzzle, until I heard a small snore. I looked up and saw her blinking her eyes. "Sorry, guess I am more tired than I thought. I had better go, and get some sleep."

I wanted to tell her she could nap on my bed. If I could only tell her how much I would enjoy seeing her peacefully sleep. But, enjoying her in my bed didn't sound right, and I didn't want to give the wrong idea...even if had one. I didn't know how I could say it so that it didn't have an undesired implication. She was already standing, putting her glasses away. Out of time, I failed, and just said, "Sorry to see you go."

"If I get some rest, maybe I'll feel better," she sighed, "You deserve more cheerful company."

I should have told I her that would delight in her company, no matter what mood she was in, but again, I only said, "I hope to see you, soon."

"Yeah...Soon," she chuckled, tiredly. She picked up her tablet and put it, plus her glass case, in her bag. As she reached the door, she said, "Thank you. I not sure I could have gotten through today without your company."

"Anytime," I said, as I closed the door behind her. Then I whispered to the closed door, "And you don't know how hard is getting to be for me to go through a day without seeing you." I went back to the puzzle and numbly tried putting pieces into places they didn't belong.

Wednesday -- April 1st

I went through the next day trying to find a distraction; first trying the puzzle, then my book, and finally watching a Harry Potter marathon. I alternated between Fritos and Good & Plenty candy, when I wasn't even hungry. I wanted to at least hear from her, but hadn't. Finally, I convinced myself that I had to push myself. I texted her, "#13 here. Any good news today?"

Her short reply was, "Won Mega Millions last nite. Wanna run away to Tahiti!? -- April Fools."

I read it several times. I couldn't decide if it meant she was in a better mood, or worse. Now I wondered if I should have left her alone. Then I did.

Thursday -- April 2nd

I heard a lot more footsteps upstairs today, and bigger "thunks", too. In the middle of the afternoon, on a rather cool day, I finally couldn't wait any longer. I texted, "Lot of activity up there in your 13. Everything okay?"

Her reply, "My 13 is going back in boxes it just barely got out of. Only good news is had not thrown boxes out."

I missed her. I worried about her. But I was only her neighbor and companion. I had no reason to expect her to need me the way I needed her.

Friday -- April 3rd

Another day was passing without contact initiated by Ciara. Even when I spent half the day on my patio, I never heard her come out. At about 4 pm, against my better judgement, I texted her with my concern, "13 here is lonely. Is 13 there okay, or upset with me?

Her response did not come for nearly 15 minutes, "You're fine, don't worry. 13 here is just not good company. U deserve better."

I texted, "I miss YOU. Not just any company."

She texted, "Me? U don't need me. I'm a mess."

I didn't like what I was reading. Should I go up and knock on her door? What could I do to draw her out? Then I had an idea, and texted, "I'll make cheeseburgers and fries!"

A few minutes passed before she replied, "That's not fair!"

"Lettuce, Tomato, Onions, Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, Pickles!"

"Damn it, Nate! You aren't kidding? You really have that?"

"I swear. Homemade buttered popcorn for dessert?"

"You are too good to me Nate! Gimme an hour"

"Dinner at 5:30. You're late, you lose."

I went to the kitchen, set the oven to preheat, and started slicing the vegetables. Just after 5 pm, I put the cast iron ribbed skillet on the stove's electric burner to heat, and got out the sliced cheddar, buns, frozen French fries, and Costco sirloin burgers. I put the fries in the oven.

The knock came about 15 after, and I answered the door. Surprised is not the right word. I let her in, but my brain was swirling. She had her hair in a ponytail, was again wearing the denim cutoffs, which make her legs look impossibly long. Her top had a deep scooped neck showing cleavage. And it was stretched over breasts that jiggled bralessly under the thin fabric. Then there was the red lipstick.

"God, she looked hot!"

She just said, "Hi" and gave me a firm hug.

"God, her body felt good."

I blathered, "Hi to you, Ciara...you look...I mean...well...Wow!"

A restrained smile rested on her face, "You wouldn't have wanted to see me an hour ago. Stinky, in a bathrobe, moose-faced slippers, rat's nest for hair; I thought you deserved something you'd want to look at."

I gave a little whistle, and added, "I think you exceeded your goal!" That got her smile a little bigger, but her eyes were rather shyly staying down tonight.

"I have to get the food going, so sit where you like. She took a chair at the dining table, and turned it around so that she could see into the kitchen. Or maybe she was there to be seen. She crossed those long legs,