36 Part 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She managed to slip unseen through the house and was be in her bed - still slightly out of breath - when Eve came in with her evening meal on a tray.

36 -- Part two

by o_girl ©

Chapter twenty-six

A new future...

She had almost recovered and was anxious to get back to her friends in the cellar. Being idle had begun to make her very restless. She was walking around in her room like an animal in a cage and had even begun to snap at her friends, when they came by on their regular visits.

Her body was healing up nicely and she now only had the slightest marks and lines from the whipping.

There would be a few scars here and there but nothing too disfiguring, she thought.

She thought about Sophia and hoped someone had taken care of her and helped her recover, but did not have high hopes for that. The way the guards had treated her when delivering her to the ship had at best been indifferent They had carried and thrown her around like a sack.

Probably the guards had known the story behind Sophia's misfortune, and thus 36 excused them in her mind. Just hoping that Sophia would go far enough away for the story to be unknown or forgotten, so she would have the opportunity to heal and start a new life.

36, on the other hand, felt more than fit for fight and could hardly wait any longer to go back to work.

One afternoon, when she and Maria had not been able to contain their hornyness and was rolling around in the bed, the door to the room opened.

She was on top of Maria and they were interlocked in a perfect 69. Sucking, licking and enjoying each other to a full extent.

"I see that you have almost recovered and I would like to have a word with you. I was going to do it now, but I see you are occupied."

They untangled quickly and jumped to the floor. It was Sir Robert and he was smiling from ear to ear.

"...ahem...yes...Sir Robert....mmmm.."

She felt her cheeks burn and knew she was blushing all the way up to her hairline.

"Never mind," he said. "Whenever you have finished your business, I would like to see you in the big hall."

"Yes, Sir Robert. Right away."

They could hear him laughing all the way down the hall. Even though the door had closed behind him.

No one kept Sir Robert waiting, so they quickly dressed. She had Maria give her a quick check of hair and looks, then hurried off.

On her way she felt her heart stuck in her throat: Would Sir Robert send her away? Sell her? After the mistake and the fate of Mistress Sophia, she might have become a liability?

Oh, if she could just get her old position back and things could go on like before...

Panting she arrived at the big hall. Stopped in front of the door. Took a few deep breaths, smoothened her cowl and hoped that she was not still blushing too much. It had definitely not done anything good to her complexion to be interrupted in mid intercourse and then running down the hall and staircases. She could still smell Maria quite distinctly on her face.

36 opened the large door just enough for her to slip silently inside and closed it behind her.

The big hall was exactly that. A big hall. It was rectangular and had large square windows facing the courtyard. In former times the house must also have been some kind of administrative centre. As it now was the residence and workplace of the town administration.

It had a heavy wood-beamed ceiling and a patterned marble floor.

The furniture, not needed at the moment, was in a storage room at the far end.

Sometimes it was set up with tables and chairs. The tables forming a horseshoe and able to seat quite a number of people at the big parties. Sometimes it was set up to serve as a courtroom, with a big table at the end and rows of chairs in front of them and so on.

Today it was the everyday setup: a very large, empty floor and at the end a huge and solid table behind which Sir Robert sat -- with Lady Charlotta at his side. She was dressed in white and very bright, pastel colours. Her slim and long body figure and dress making her almost transparent.

She was pale as usual.

It was a very, very long walk across the floor to the table.

"Ah. 36 -- take a seat!" Sir Robert looked up and pointed to the massive chair on the other side of the desk from him.

Carefully she lowered herself into the chair. Sitting on the very edge and having her clenched fists between her legs. This was the first time -- ever -- that she had been allowed to sit in the furniture in the upstairs rooms. Apart from in her sick room and Lady Hannah's private apartment.

There was a short intermission, then Sir Robert looked up at her again.

"36. As you know we have realized that we made a grave and big mistake! Lady Charlotta and I wish to thank you for your effort's in curing our oldest son's health -- and at the same time offer our deepest excuse for the ordeal that you have been through. We hope that you some day will find it in your heart to forgive us?"

She did not know what to say. Clenched her fists even harder in her lap and stayed silent for a minute, then spoke: "I am grateful that things have been resolved, Lady Charlotta and Sir Robert. I hope the child is still in good health?"

They both smiled: "Yes -- thank you -- better and wilder than ever!"

The smiles made her relax a little: "I'm glad to hear that, and sorry I have caused you all this trouble and concern."

Now that the preliminary politeness was over, Sir Roberts face turned to his usual, grave expression:

"Well -- we have given your position here a great deal of thought while you were recovering."

'Oh no. Here it comes', she thought. She was sure that she bore no traces of the previous blushing, but on the contrary felt the blood leave her face.

"We find your skills and devotion to be poorly used at your present situation in the cellar, so we have a few propositions to make."

She nodded but kept silent. She knew that she was just a piece of property, so whatever they had planned for her would be so. No matter what she thought, felt or meant.

"First of all, you deserve your freedom. Therefore, I would like you to sign this document and the copy."

He pushed some papers across the table.

36 was stunned and automatically rose from the chair, pulled the documents over and looked down at them. At first her eyes did not register any of it. The letters dancing before her eyes.

Her brain seemed to go on hold and she was frozen for a long minute.

Then the headline "Freedom Letter" registered in her mind. She felt dizzy and had to sit down again on the chair. Her hands still holding the documents. The edges of them revealing that she was shaking.

She was to be free! Was this really happening. She felt she had to say something, but what?

"...but....but..I do not even remember my real name, Sir. How can I sign this?"

He chuckled: "No matter. Everyone here knows you as '36', so if you are happy with that -- just sign. You will have the copy and the original will be filed here".

She took the pen lying beside the documents, and with tears in her eyes wrote '36' on both pieces of paper.

"Now. We will arrange that your rings are taken out as soon as possible. We cannot do much about the branding, which I am sure you know?"

She sat for a moment. Thoughts again spinning around in her head as Sir Robert continued: "...and as we seem to be lacking a Mistress in the cellar, we would like you to take over Mistress Sophia's old job -- and manage the servant girls there. You will have all the freedom you like and we would be very happy if you stay with us forthwith. You will of course get all the time off you need to help the sick and needy if you so desire. After all we have seen what you can do."

Slowly the words reached her through the haze that had lowered over her mind. He continued:

"Of course you will be paid every month. At the usual going rate for housemaids. Will that be satisfactory for you?"

She tried to collect her thoughts. It was definitely not what she had expected, but she knew that she had to think fast: "I am very, very grateful to both of you, but I would like to keep my cowl and my rings. People will always look at me as a slave -- maybe a freed one -- but still a slave, so I prefer things to be as they are if you do not mind? I would also like to remain in my quarters in the cellar with my companions. That way it will be easier to oversee things, but if I may offer a suggestion: Could Mistress Sophia's old lodgings be used by us? As a common room -- and as a place, where I could receive people needing my small pieces of advice and the little skills I have? If you will grant me this, it would make me extremely happy?"

They both smiled and Robert said: "I knew it! Two minutes after you are free you start making demands...but reasonable ones. Of course, you can keep your rings and your lodgings. The apartment upstairs will henceforth be for you and your maids free use. Now is that what you'd like -- or is there more?"

She blushed and felt her cheeks burn again: "Yes, Sir Robert. Thank you...eeehh..and another thing...?"

This time he almost laughed as he told her to go on. She proceeded by asking for mercy for The Doctor and if she could be allowed to try and make a friendship or an alliance with him -- so they could join forces in keeping people healthy.

Of course, that was also granted. Even though The Doctor had already been asked to move out from the big house and now resided in town. She knew it would probably be quite a task to make friends with this man, which had been one of her accusers, but felt the need not to make or have any enemies -- so she would definitely put in a serious effort.

The meeting ended by Sir Robert telling her that he had anticipated her accepting her new job, so he had taken the liberty to inform the kitchen that same morning.

Then she was -- politely -- told to get her behind out of there, which she did. Happily clenching the letter of freedom in her hands.

She was almost dancing her way down the hall and staircases to the kitchen. Eager to tell her friends the news and show them the document, but when she opened the door to the kitchen everybody was lined up in a half-circle and gave her 3 loud 'hoorays''.

Again, she was speechless.

All morning, the girls bringing her breakfast and even Maria coming to 'cheer her up', had managed to keep quiet about it.

The Chef had had a rather large cake prepared and there was a jug of watered-down wine or beer for everybody. She stayed with her usual lemonade and was quite content.

After about an hour it was time for the kitchen to resume normal service, and she withdrew with her friends to their usual cellar quarters.

The last thing, The Chef said before closing the party was that he needed to have her in a kitchen meeting as soon as possible and that she and her girls were off till the evening meal was to be served, which was just a few hours away.

She therefore had plenty of time to discuss the new situation with her friends.

In the midst of all the commotion, she still had had time to ponder the situation. So, the first thing, she told the girls was: No more whipping, but she expected them to be efficient shadows as always and not let her or the household down. She also expected them to show her some respect in her new job and underlined that she was now responsible for all of them. So, any complaints or errors would fall back on her.

The girls listened in silence, but it was apparent that they also enjoyed this new sense of 'freedom with responsibility' and was eager to do their best.

What made them all give the longest and loudest applause was when she announced that they were to use the Mistress' apartment as 'gathering' room instead of the bleak cellar, and that she would be setting up some kind of workspace for her healing business there. A task they were more than welcome to help her get going!

That -- and discussing improvements in the serving and cleaning procedures took up all the time -- till a kitchen helper stuck his head in the door and announced that it was time to go back to work.

They all moved with light and fast feet at that evenings serving and clearing and it became a very late night before they had all found their own beds and gone to sleep.

36 -- Part two

by o_girl ©

Chapter twenty-seven

Blast from her past...

She was back in the kitchen -- and happy about it.

Early the next morning she had a meeting with The Chef, who again expressed his joy of her promotion.

After having made a few more polite noises between them, they got down to business.

Her new tasks included a daily morning meeting with The Chef. Planning the events of the day and casting a quick glance at coming meetings, feasts and other significant happenings that would involve an extra effort by the kitchen and her staff.

They went over the list together, which she found was easier than she had thought.

The Chef gave her a notebook to keep track of their duties. She used it diligently all through the meeting.

After the formal bit, The Chef took time to tell her that he had always sensed more in her than just being a 'common serving girl', and that she had been unusually quick in learning from the very first day.

He wished her the best of luck and returned to his usual, grumpy self when he turned away and began barking orders into the kitchen.

She went back to the girls and had decided to brief them after each of her meetings with The Chef. It was her responsibility that things worked, but she felt it would be better for all if she did not keep the girls in the dark as the Mistress had done, but let them know what was going on.

Having distributed the mornings chores among the girls, she took time off and went into town.

Her destination was a fairly large house in the centre. She smiled as she saw the shiny metal plaque on the door: Aloysius Horatio, Doctor of Medicine.

At first, the sour secretary at the front desk told her that The Doctor was a very busy man and that he definitely did not have time for an unscheduled appointment. It took some convincing to get the woman to get off her chair and go into the back.

When she came back her attitude had changed completely, and 36 was ushered immediately and very politely into the Doc's office.

He sat behind a large desk and smiled a bit uncertain as she entered. He did ask her to sit in the chair opposite him and gave her a curious look.

She had thought of many ways to start this conversation, but when she sat in the chair her mind went blank and she just started talking.

"I know you must be mad at me for getting you into this situation, but I can assure you, it was not intentionally. I hope that we can be friends and that you hold no grudges against me?"

The Doc gave her a long look: "I made a grave mistake, which had equally grave consequences for you. For that I am sorry. I suppose it is no excuse that Mistress Sophia had prepared the scheme so well that she fooled even me. I should have given it extra thought. Then I would probably have realized that if you were out to kill the child, it would have been dead long ago -- but on the contrary -- it had a remarkably recovery. After I had almost given up."

She smiled. This was going better than she had expected.

"..ahem...I was thinking..."

"Yes?"

"I know some herbal lore and some things about care. Maybe you can use me as an assistant? I do have more tasks at the big house now as I have been promoted to Mistress Sophia's old job, but I am sure, I could take one day a week, and assist you with the lighter patients. Changing bandages administering herbal drinks, doing massages and so on. Would you consider that?"

The Doc lit up in a big smile: "Of course. I would be delighted and I have now seen that you have some knowledge, I do not. I would be happy if you would share some of that with me and I would of course share all my knowledge with you.

I have also taken a good, long look at Evangelina's arm and I must say, you have done quite a professional job"

She made the appropriate noises and excuses, saying she had only been the assistant and that Granny had run the show.

He acknowledged that, but added that those operations and other complicated matters, needed two persons and he would be happy if she would be that other one.

She agreed and said that she would ask at the big house, if she would be allowed not only a day off to assist him, but also to be called in case of emergencies.

The Doc then said that he was actually happy to have relocated to his own house and that he was on call for the big house as usual, but being located outside he had given him much more time for his other patients. He had a sense of freedom as he was not being constantly approached by people wherever he went. In the big house he had not been able to walk the hallways without someone stopping him and asking his advice on this or that smaller medical problem.

36 understood that perfectly well.

Finally, they rose and shook hands on the deal.

Then she left. The Doc seemed to have plenty of patients and the front room that had been full of people when she entered, now seemed quite overcrowded.

Her last remark was to state once again that she needed Sir Roberts approval, but she was sure it was just a formality. She would let him know when the matter was settled and what weekday, she would be available for him - and if she would be allowed to be 'on call'.

36 felt like another great weight had been lifted off her shoulders, when she walked back. She took a small detour through the market. Going through the 'Scavengers' part, which had stalls with every possible item for sale. Usually, she only frequented the other end of the market: The food section. Shopping meat and vegetables for the kitchen at the big house, but today felt she had a few moments to spare, so she deviated from the straight road home.

Suddenly the hair on the back of her neck stood out. Her many days on the road had sharpened her sixth sense and all the alarm bells started ringing in her brain and body.

36 took a few quick, sideway steps. Into a carpet-sellers stall, where she squeezed all the way back between the hanging rugs. Almost the same colour as her cowl. The best, newest and less used carpets were on display at the front. The more worn and tattered rugs were stacked at the back in huge piles.

As she pressed her body as far back as she could find room, she found herself between dark, worn and smelly rugs. Looking and sending out an odour of lives long gone. The colours were dark, almost black and her cowl blended well into the environment.

The stall was otherwise empty. The owner probably out for a break or talking to other traders. After all it was difficult to steal any of his wares. Someone running off with a huge carpet would be easily identified and caught.

Her sixth sense had not been wrong: A minute later a much too familiar figure walked by. She recognized the long, pointed nose and the hair that was brushed back in a stiff and oiled lump.

The small chin and the little mouth resembling a predator fish in water: The slave hunter: 'Fish'.

The one that had caught her and dragged her through a terrible ordeal. The one she had escaped from and the one that had contested Sir Robert's purchase of her at the slave market.

She pressed her body as far back as she could and as much in between the rugs as possible.

He was just as dirty as she remembered him: Ragged and torn clothes covered in mud from the road. Grime on his skin and a more than day old stubble on his face.

Fortunately, he seemed to be in his own thoughts and did not look to any of the sides, but walked straight through the market.