A Bump in the Night

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ah, hah; did you know Keith was there that night?"

"Keith... Keith Jordan?"

"Ah, hah; he saw the whole thing. First of all, what were you doing in a pick-up bar by yourself?"

"I... I was waiting for a girlfriend but she didn't show."

"How would you know? According to Keith, that guy bought you a drink and you left with him before you even finished it."

"Maybe he put a date rape drug in my drink."

"Come on, Cassie, you didn't drink enough of it to be drugged. Face it, the guy was good-looking, had a good line of bullshit, and you didn't think you'd get caught. The next time you cheat on a boyfriend remember to look around the bar and see if any of his buddies are there."

"All right, I was stupid but everyone deserves a second chance." When she didn't get a response right away, she thought she was getting to me. "Look, why don't we just start dating again for a little while, then..."

"Sorry, Cassie, I'm not interested."

"Why not? We were good together."

"Yes, we were, right up until you so casually opened your legs for another guy. We're done, Cassie; you can cry and moan, and swear and pout all you want, but it won't make a bit of difference. Now go get dressed and make sure you leave the key when you go this time."

Megan and I sat on the couch until Cassie was dressed. To make sure I had my key, I literally took it from her hand. As she walked to the front door, she looked at Megan, "Find yourself a nice guy, honey, one who's not such a prick." And then she was gone, for good I hoped.

We had been together for almost two years before she broke my heart. Afterward, I looked back at our relationship and had strong suspicions it wasn't the first time she'd cheated on me, it was just the first time she was caught.

I was already in a bad mood from seeing how much money Megan had, finding Cassie here did nothing to improve it. I took a few deep breaths and worked on calming down before talking to Megan. I didn't want to chase her away, only find out the truth. "I could use some coffee, what about you?"

"Okay," she replied with a smile.

We walked into the kitchen and started making it. "She's very beautiful."

"As they say, it's only skin deep," I replied. "I don't want to talk about Cassie, I want to talk about you."

"Me?"

"Yeah, you; I never did buy that story about you walking on a dark road at two in the morning just to get to the next town, and your strong reaction when I said I was going to call for an ambulance made me believe you were running from someone or something, most likely the cops. Now, you can either be honest with me and tell me where you got all that money, or I can hand you over to the police and let them deal with you... which will it be?"

"She was right, you are a prick."

"All right," I said while pulling my phone from my pocket, "the police it is."

"No, wait... please." I looked at her. Her eyes were clouding over and she was near panic.

"Then tell me... and no bullshit this time."

She was starting to cry. "You're... you're going to kick me out when I tell you," she mumbled.

"Try me."

"Okay, you're right, I stole it from the gas station I was working at. Remember when I told you I've traded sex for things I needed? Well, I needed a job. One night, I stopped at a Texaco station to use the restroom and saw a help wanted sign on the door. Carl, the night manager, first said 'No way.' I really needed that job and started to beg. When he saw how desperate I was he said I could have it if I gave him a blowjob.

"I worked four-to-twelve with him. There was another guy who worked with us until ten o'clock but it was just Carl and me after that. A couple nights after he hired me he told me to go in the store room with him just after closing. I thought he wanted help with something but he closed the door and told me to pull my pants down or I was fired. Almost every night after that, he'd bend me over one of the shelves back there and fuck me.

I'd worked there almost two weeks and still hadn't gotten paid. Then, one night, he told me he had something special in store for me. He said he was going to butt fuck me. I waited until he went into the washroom then grabbed what I figured they owed me from the register and ran as fast as I could. That was the night before you hit me.

"Now that you know I'm a thief I'll leave but please don't call the cops. I couldn't stand to be cooped up in a cell," she said as she dried her eyes with the heel of her hand.

"I'm not about to call the cops and I'm not kicking you out. There's probably a warrant out for your arrest though; we'll have to figure out how to deal with that later but not right now. Right now we have to figure out different sleeping arrangements. I can't sleep on the couch every night, my back was killing me when I got up this morning."

As soon as I said it, I thought sure she was going to give me that look again; she was bound to figure I meant we were going to sleep together, especially after the story she just told me. I looked at her but that suspicious glare was absent; maybe she was finally starting to trust me. The question was... could I trust her?

"I'll sleep on the couch," she almost yelled. She saw my face scrunch up and knew I didn't like that idea. "John, I've slept on park benches, on the ground, and on sidewalks, believe me, the couch will be like sleeping on a cloud for me."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely!"

"Well, okay, but just for the time being--until I can figure out something better." I must admit, it felt really good to sleep in my own bed again.

The following day, I was nervous about leaving her alone in my apartment; although she was still limping a little so I doubted that she'd be able to carry much to a pawn shop.

I used my lunch hour to scout around and see if anyone was looking for help and found a couple of prospects. The best was with a ladies' boutique shop. They sold all kinds of trendy clothes for young women, the kind of clothes I could picture Megan wearing. Sheila, the manager, and I passed the time of day a few times so I stopped in and told her about Megan. She didn't say yes or no but had some questions.

"John, if she's homeless, where's she going to live?"

"She's staying with me for the time being." I didn't want Sheila to think there was any hanky-panky going on so I clarified, "Right now she's sleeping on my couch but I'm going to fix up a regular bed for her in the basement. It's finished and almost like a little apartment down there."

"You trust her?"

"Yeah, I do; she's had a lot of hard knocks so far in life, but I think she's an honest person who just needs a break." I didn't mention the stolen money and prayed it didn't bite me in the ass later.

"How long before her ankle is healed?"

"Ah, I'm not sure; it seemed to be better already."

"You think she'll be okay by next week?"

"I think so."

"Okay, have her come and see me a week from Thursday; that should give her time to get better, any time after we open is fine. Just have her ask for me. I'm not making any promises but I'll talk to her."

I thanked her about three times and then realized I was going to be late getting back from lunch. Thankfully, Dave Star, owner of Star Photo, where I worked, was a decent guy. He gave me a look and then glanced at the clock to see I was ten minutes late but didn't say anything.

I was nervous as hell while driving home after work. I had never left a stranger alone in my house before and was second-guessing myself as to the wisdom of it. She had no phone and the only one I had was my cell so I couldn't even call to check up on her; would I walk into an empty house, or maybe be missing some of my camera gear? I took a deep breath as I pulled into my drive. I'll know in a minute, I told myself.

Walking in, I was pleasantly surprised by the smell of something cooking. I made my way to the kitchen and saw Megan bending over the oven. "Hi," she said, smiling up at me, "I timed dinner pretty good, didn't I?"

"Where'd you get the food?"

"I walked to the grocery store. I used your cane so I couldn't carry much back, just enough for dinner. Do you know all you have in the freezer are TV dinners? Hell, I ate stuff from garbage cans that was more nutritious than that crap."

"It smells good," I remarked with a smile.

"It's baked pork chops with potatoes and sweet corn. I got some apple crisp for dessert."

"How'd you know when I'd be home? I didn't think to mention it when I left this morning."

"I looked it up on your computer, Star Photo, right? It was the only photography place I could find in the mall. It said the hours today were from nine to five. I know that you left at eight-thirty so I guessed you'd be home around five-thirty. Everything's almost ready, you want to set the table?"

Clever girl, I thought, but then if you lead the life she's led, I guess you'd have to be resourceful.

At dinner, I told Megan about her upcoming interview the following week. "But, I don't know anything about sales," she told me, half in a panic.

"In a store like that you don't really sell, just learn the merchandise, be nice, and help the customers find what they're looking for."

"What... what if she doesn't hire me, will you be mad?"

"Of course not. She said she wasn't making any promises so if she doesn't hire you we'll find you something else, that's all."

"It's... it's just that you're the first person who's been nice to me and hasn't demanded something in return, so I... I don't want to disappoint you, that's all."

"Megan, I think it's about time you got a break in life. I'm giving you an opportunity, all I ask in return is that you do your best to take advantage of it, that's all. You do that and you'll never disappoint me."

"I'm not a fool, John. What you're giving me is way beyond just giving me a break, it's the chance for a new life and I won't blow it, I promise."

Inwardly, I hoped she was as sincere and dedicated as the vibes she was giving off; I guessed only time would tell.

Over the next several days, while rehabbing her ankle, I was able to get Megan to talk a bit. She told me she never knew her father. According to her mother, she was the result of a one-night stand. In addition to being a slut with more boyfriends than you could count, her mother was also an alcoholic who had been in and out of the drunk tank on a regular basis. On the occasions she was in, Megan would stay with her aunt but she had reached the end of her rope when she was sixteen. Her mother was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon against one of her boyfriends and sentenced to eighteen months. Megan took off on her own and never looked back.

For the last three years, she did a lot of things she wasn't proud of to survive, but despite everything, she had a moral compass. It had been compromised on many occasions but it was there; I could see it in her face as she talked.

The only ID she had was a social security card. She had no driver's license, no state ID, she didn't even have proof of being born. She did know the county and state where she was born so we sent off for a copy of her birth certificate.

By the end of the week, I felt a lot more comfortable with her staying in my house. By Sunday she was walking pain-free and with no limp. She had been cooking all week so Monday, I took her to Applebee's for dinner.

The next day at work, I walked by the boutique on my way back from lunch and noticed Sheila standing near the entrance talking to a customer. Everything about her was stunning, her hair, her make-up, and the clothes she wore made her look like she'd stepped off the page of a Vogue Magazine. It occurred to me that nothing Megan bought at those resale shops was suitable to wear for her interview, and as pretty as she was, she could use some help in the hair and make-up department as well.

I knew for a fact, she had a couple hundred dollars left from the money she stole. I hated to have her use it but I couldn't afford to buy her what she needed. The hair and make-up was also a problem. Tammy Dryfus owned the beauty salon in the mall. From Tuesdays through Fridays, Dave and I worked together shooting portraits in the studio but on Saturdays, I ran the studio by myself while he and his wife, Phillis, shot weddings. I knew Tammy's shop did the hair and make-up for a lot of the brides and I knew she was very expensive. That night, I opened my laptop and showed Megan the style of clothes she'd need for her interview.

The following day was Wednesday. It was a late day for most of the shops in the mall. The studio was open from nine in the morning till nine at night. Dave would open and work until five. I came in at one and worked till closing so I had my mornings free.

Megan and I were already waiting outside the mall when they opened the doors. She was a little nervous and wanted me to go with her but I had something else I had to do first. I told her I'd catch up with her later.

As Megan headed for the first boutique she saw, I headed toward Tammy's salon. She was in the back so one of the hairdressers told her I was waiting to speak to her. "Hi, John, want a permanent?" She asked with a chuckle.

"Hi, Tammy, no I'm hoping you can help me with a problem. Can we talk in private?"

She looked at me a little strange but had me follow her to the back. I told her about Megan and offered to do free advertising photos that she could display in her shop in exchange for basic hair and make-up. "John, it wouldn't be fair to my girls. Did you see any empty chairs out there?"

"No, they were all filled."

"Exactly, all my girls have their cosmetology licenses and they all make good money. I give them twenty percent of what they bring in, but on top of that, they get tips. Depending on what the customer has done, their tip can be anything from ten dollars to as much as a hundred bucks. How do I tell one of them that she has to stand aside while I take over her chair for two or three hours?"

I knew it was a long shot but I was still disappointed. "Yeah, I see the problem. I just thought I'd ask. Thanks anyway, Tammy." I turned and started to walk away but she stopped me.

"Hold on, John. Can you have her here at seven o'clock tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah--absolutely," I gushed.

"Come to the back door and knock. I'll work on her until we open, how's that?"

"Tammy, that's great. It'll also give me more room to take the pictures. I'll shoot them in color and blow them up to eleven by fourteen. I'll even put them in frames for you."

"Okay, but don't be late. Two hours isn't a lot of time to do a full makeover."

"We won't be late, Tammy; thanks again." Now, I thought, hopefully, Sheila hires her so this isn't all for nothing. I took off in the same direction Megan was headed and caught up to her in the third place I looked. She was with a salesgirl who was helping her find a top.

She gave me a big smile as soon as she saw me and dug into one of the shopping bags in her hand. "What'd you think?" she asked, holding a short blue skirt up to herself.

"Beautiful."

"I read somewhere that salesmen should wear blue ties because it makes them look honest and trustworthy, so I figured if it works for men, why not women? Now I'm trying to find a pale blue blouse to go with it."

The sales girl pulled a top from the rack and held it up, "What about this? It would look really hot with that skirt."

Megan held her hand behind the fabric, "I couldn't wear that, you can see right through it."

"Yes, that's the point. You wear a blue bra under it. It's stylish and sexy but you're still fully covered."

Megan looked at me, "What do you think?"

"Well, she's right about it being sexy but I don't think it'd be appropriate for a job interview."

"You're right, maybe I'll get it and wear it if I get the job."

"Ah, don't forget, you still have to get a pair of high heels; you should get some pantyhose too."

"Yeah, you're right." She looked back at the salesgirl, "I'd better stick with something a little more conservative."

She didn't find anything she liked so we went to three more places before she settled on a beautiful powder blue blouse that went perfectly with the skirt; by that time, it was approaching noon and she still had to buy shoes. "Megan, I have to be at work in an hour..."

"Oh, John, I'm so sorry, I'll hurry up..."

"No, no, there's no need to hurry, the stores are open til nine. I was going to suggest we have lunch in the food court, then I'll go to work. You take your time and come to the studio when you're done. I'll get an Uber to take you home."

I knew she'd rather have me along but I wasn't doing anything but standing around and watching her shop anyway. We got some food at sat down at one of the small tables. She was eating so fast, I thought she was in a hurry because of me. "Megan, slow down, you've got plenty of time."

She looked a little embarrassed, "I'm sorry, John, I'm just so excited; this is the first time I've ever been shopping in a mall before."

That was almost inconceivable to me. "You're kidding."

"No, whenever I went with Mom, we always went to Walmart. Since I took off, I've gone inside some malls to warm up in the winter but I never bought anything."

"I wondered why you seemed nervous before. I'd say you've got the hang of it, though, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"You don't need me, Megan, you're doing fine; just take your time and don't let anyone talk you into buying something you don't like."

"Oh, I won't, and thanks again, John."

"You're welcome, Megan." I glanced at the time on my phone. "I've got to get going. The studio is right over there," I said while pointing in its direction. "Remember, I'm there until nine o'clock tonight so take your time and come to the studio when you're done."

"Okay, I will."

When we finished eating, she went one way, and I went the other. It was about three-thirty when she stopped in. Dave was in the front and called me from the back when she came in. I was busy so all I had time to do was arrange for an Uber. I apologized for not being able to talk and left her with Dave before returning to the studio in the back where I had a client waiting.

By the time I finished with the portrait, Megan had left. Dave was still in the reception area. "That's the homeless girl you were telling me about?"

"Yeah, did you get a chance to talk?"

"Yeah, she was here about twenty minutes. She's a doll; you're telling me you're not tapping that?"

"She sleeps on the couch, Dave."

"Damn, man, you're a better man than I am, but then according to her, you sit on the right hand of God. All she talked about was what a great guy you are."

"I just felt sorry for her and thought maybe I could help her out, that's all."

That night, I reminded Megan that we had to be at the beauty shop at seven so we had to get to bed early. The next morning I was up at five. I let Megan sleep while I took a quick shower but shook her awake before packing my car with equipment. I took two lights with different modifiers and a reflector. It would have been nice to be able to use the studio lights but they were restricted to the premises. Megan and I grabbed a quick breakfast and were standing at Tammy's back door at five-till.

I saw Tammy smile when she saw Megan. "Oh, honey, this won't be bad at all; you're adorable. I love those cheekbones. Come on inside and take that first chair." It took me a couple of trips to bring my gear inside. By the time I was set up, Tammy was explaining what she was going to do, including a light trim of her hair to even it out and get rid of the split ends. I started doing what I do and photographed every aspect of Megan's makeover.

The two hours were almost over by the time she finished. I had been so intent on taking the shots, I wasn't really paying attention to the progress until she was done and I stopped to look. "Jesus, Megan, you are stone-cold gorgeous."