A Butterscotch Sky Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My apologies. Please forgive me, General Gantry," I offered with his rank, "but I think it's time you explain what all of this is about."

"Indeed. Give me a few minutes to clean myself up," he said, holding up the slightly bloodied handkerchief and pointing at his face as he retreated to the lavatory.

"What do you know? Have you heard anything ?" I asked Aly.

"No specifics, only that something has happened at Aeolis Planum ," she answered.

"I wonder if we're being sent back," I offered hypothetically. "The man who picked me up from my apartment this morning also said something about exigent circumstances leading to me⁠—rather us being recalled."

"Us? Why?" Simi asked.

"It may be logical because we were the last there and are most-recently trained. We were the mission which … you say mothballed the base?" Alyonka proposed.

I nodded.

"That is correct," Gantry said, having returned to the room.

"But why all the subterfuge?" Cedric asked. "What the fuck are our families and friends supposed to make of these false tragedies or," he scoffed, "felonious and treasonous acts?"

"Quite frankly, Mr. Hamilton, I don't care what any of them think right now. Neither will the rest of the world if what we suspect is, in fact, happening," Gantry said.

"Come on, Jim. Out with it!" I barked.

Gantry's eyebrows arched. "Well, since we're apparently now on a first-name basis, okay, Sean. Where was Return Four the last you were aware?"

"In orbit of Mars. It was to remain there until Return Three reached the point of non-return. I understood it was to then slow-roast back here, arriving a little over a year from now where it'd be refueled in orbit for a landing."

"Exactly. The four return modules in total cost less than a return of the big ship."

"And?"

"It landed on node one a month after your launch. The week before your PoNR," Gantry revealed.

"What? How ?" Aly asked.

"Unknown. Not only that, but the thermite weld at the base didn't activate. Either you two neglected to prime it on your final egress, or⁠—"

"Wrong, Jim, I'm absolutely certain⁠—"

"Or ," he said, holding up his palms again, "the igniter was deactivated. Very raw telemetry suggests the latter. A short time later, we stopped receiving data altogether."

"Telemetry from the base station?" Ayani-san asked.

"All telemetry. We haven't received a single packet in months. We're sending you to investigate."

"Why are you waiting until now?" Cedric asked. "Wouldn't it have been safer to send us back before acclimation and rehab? And why can't you observe with the orbital platforms?"

"Now you're getting into the meat of things. Three of the orbiters went dark within days of each other. The fourth captured this series of images immediately before it went offline, too," Gantry said, directing our attention to the large display on the wall.

He tabbed through several high-resolution images. In seven of the frames, the view of the Martian surface was occluded by something.

"What is that?" Ayani asked.

Gantry slowly repeated the sequence in reverse, then forward again.

"It can't be the umbra of an eclipse from either Phobos or Deimos," Cedric offered, "the margin is too distinct."

"I agree with Cedric," Simi added. "A near-miss with another satellite?"

"None have orbits which intersected at that precise time. The closest one was thousands of kilometers away. At least … the ones we're aware of."

We were all silent for long moments.

"Jim, why are the heads of multiple nations lying to our families, friends, and the rest of the world?" I asked. "This has already caused an extraordinary amount of anguish and grief, and it will only get worse."

He sighed. "That's going to take some time to explain."

"Apparently we have nothing but," Cedric observed before taking a polite bite of the other half of his first donut.

My appetite had awakened, so I helped myself to a cream cheese danish from Cedric's plate.

"To put it bluntly," General Gantry began, "we are now part of what might become the largest disinformation campaign in modern history. We suspect another nation is hobbling our infrastructure on and around Mars."

"Who?" Simi asked.

"China?" posed Cedric.

Gantry nodded. "It's entirely plausible, but both our president and your PM think it unlikely because of the major diplomatic inroads our nations have made with them in recent years."

We sat in silence for several moments.

"General Gantry," Simi spoke, "why the propaganda? It makes no sense."

"Think globally, Siemen. Draw on your experience as a scientist. Postulate a hypothetical situation where all six members of the most successful mission Central has ever embarked upon perish, or whose lives change in bizarre, unexpected ways."

Simi focused his gaze on his plate, absentmindedly nudging with his finger a few loose chocolate jimmies that'd detached from a donut he hadn't touched. His brows slowly rose.

"Ayani-san, are you thinking what I am thinking?" he asked.

"The United States is pointing a finger in the direction of Pyongyang ."

"No, we aren't," General Gantry rebutted. "The Partner Nations are expecting the rest of the world to do that. Through sixteen manned missions, there were twenty-two nations involved. Six countries represented Pleiades Six. Yours was the most diverse interplanetary mission in Central Mission's⁠—actually, the entire world's history.

"The Czech Republic, Russia, Japan, Sweden, Canada, and the US, plus a number of other nations' intelligence communities are carefully dropping breadcrumbs.

"Sean, this whole plan is, in part, based on the idea that everyone who knows you personally considers you a good-natured, even-tempered man. The idea of you murdering anyone , let alone one of your crewmates, has to be so inconceivable that they will be suspicious of the story. The hope is that alternate theories will begin to circulate and gain traction."

"Oh, fantastic," I groaned sarcastically. "Exactly what the world needs. More conspiracies."

Gantry steepled his fingers and listened to the discussion between me and my crewmates.

Simi asked Gantry, "Korean demolition charges on my plane?"

"Details of events outside of North America have all been compartmentalized, so I don't know," Jim answered. "Forensics will determine Sean and Cedric both had drugs in their systems which were purchased from dealers of the Min-Su Im cartel. It's no secret they have substantial influence beyond the DMZ."

"I hate this, Jim," I said. "It angers me to my absolute center what our closest relationships are about to endure. I'm assuming we're cut off from the outside world?"

"Sadly, that's true, and you also need to understand that any attempt to circumvent security to make contact with the outside might be considered an act of treason."

I drummed my fingers absentmindedly on the tabletop before I asked my next question.

"So, the various stories are supposed to implicate a certain nation. Said country has one hell of an intelligence program. They may be impulsive, but they are not stupid. Having six lives altered in such a short amount of time will⁠—I mean, who would think North Korea could be so blatantly irresponsible with such covert operations?"

"It's a risk the international leadership has to accept. They believe it would be unwise to wait the weeks or months it'd take to play the story out at an organic pace," Gantry said.

"Explain our objective, please," Irenka said.

"The collection of total and irrefutable evidence of a nation usurping our infrastructure on Mars."

"That is all?" Ayani-san asked. "I will be made a traitor to my country for … what?"

Gantry leaned forward and propped his elbows on the table.

"That is exactly what we need this team to investigate."

Again, there were minutes of silence.

"Jim, was the malfunction on my life support unit aboard R3 related to this?"

"No. That was … regrettable. A firmware patch was issued by the contractor, and somehow wasn't applied to your unit."

"Okay," Cedric said. "What's the plan?"

"All six of you launch in two weeks."

"Aboard what?" I asked.

"Pleiades Bravo, henceforth named Orion Alpha, will launch as Orion One."

"Fitting," Cedric observed. "Orion is the hunter."

"Coincidental. The Agency in Langley assigned the name at random."

Gantry paused.

"Specialist Sabratova, this is a most unusual mission. We must ensure complete redundancy, so you will co-command this mission alongside Commander Emerson. We'll go over the division of duties later."

Aly's eyebrows arched. I doubt anyone else noticed her very subtle reaction, but I certainly did.

I felt her reaching for my hand under the table. I took it into my own and grasped it gently, offering my acknowledging reassurance.

"Ponyal , General. I understand."

"Central has enough time completing the preparation of Bra⁠—Orion Alpha?" Irenka asked.

"Barely," Gantry answered with a rueful chuckle.

"Irenka and I will review and study the details of any changes they have made," Aly said.

Irenka added, "We would not want … a repeat of R3."

"I'll ensure everyone will have access to anything needed. The R1 and R2 modules are being refitted as resupply vessels. They will launch a few weeks later."

"Mars will be in conjunction," Cedric noted.

"True. Venusian gravity assist will help, but it will still be an estimated one hundred thirty-two-day transit. Not only that, but we'll have to rely on the relay orbiting Venus during the solar blackout, and, with only one, the channel won't be reliable but approximately sixty percent of the time."

Cedric nodded his understanding.

"And when we are there?" Aly asked.

"We won't know until you begin surveillance."

Planning for a reawakening in orbit was unusual, but not unheard of. While returning to Earth required hospitalization for re-acclimation and some rehabilitation, the same wasn't required for arrival at Mars because we'd be in weak Martian gravity, or as proposed for Orion, none at all. We'd be good to go on Sol 1, whether in orbit or on the surface.

"Training?" Simi asked.

"Alpha is being outfitted with the Hyper-D imaging system along with eight of the new wide-spectrum ultra-high-resolution variable-field cameras designed in Japan. You'll need time to familiarize yourselves with their operation."

The general stood from the table. "We've been at this for a few hours now. Let's take a break. Thirty minutes. Feel free to make use of any facilities in this building, but do not leave it."

I considered everything I'd learned. "I thought I'd retire from all of this and move on to an ordinary civilian job and life."

"You and I will be the seventh and eighth person who has been to Mars three times," Simi said, standing from the table to stretch his legs.

I looked at each of my five peers. "I suppose I should ask, considering we've all been voluntold . Are you in?"

Ayani answered first. "I do not believe we have been given a choice. But I am more confident if we are a team."

No one argued with her.

"I need some air," I said, standing and heading for the south door.

Some remained, some followed me out into the spacious corridor. Aly was one of the latter.

"Sean, please," she whispered, grasping at my jacket, pulling me to her in an embrace.

She looked into my eyes and kissed me very gently. It was the perfect gesture, and what I needed and wanted. She touched the tip of my nose with her own.

"I am so sorry , my love. If only I knew, I would have found some way to tell you."

"I understand. You hold no blame in this … this charade ."

"It is difficult to make sense of it, yes?"

"Da . I'm not even sure I fully understand everything we were just told."

Cedric and Irenka passed by us. "Get a room," he said before opening the door on the opposite side of the corridor to the center courtyard. Aly and I were holding each other more closely than coworkers normally would, and we quickly added a discreet distance between us.

"Don't let us stop you. It's no secret." He was chuckling as the pair went out to the fresh air and a bright blue sky.

"Alyonka, I need to know," I said. "Are we⁠—is what we are⁠—I mean, are you and I a⁠—"

"It is my hope that we are, love."

Love. She'd said it twice. I smiled. "I concur … Commander ."

"Sean, do not use that title when we are alone, da ?"

"Déjà vu." I chuckled, then opened the door so we could join Cedric and Irenka in the courtyard. Yes, Gantry had told us not to go outside, but the courtyard was within the 'four walls' of the building, so it was as secure as the interior. We were breaking no rules as far as I was concerned.

We all sat at a table outside. The air was crisp and chilly, but the infrared heaters were adequate to the task of keeping us comfortable.

"Can you believe this? Can you fucking believe all of this?" Cedric fumed. "I have no understanding at all why they couldn't create this same narrative without having to personally involve Irenka and Simi to give you such devastating news."

"I know. He's probably in the conference room waiting for the general to come back so he can ask exactly that question."

"It seems unnecessarily cruel," Alyonka added. "There is no reason at all."

"Unless …" Irenka said, staring at the weatherproof chess pieces resting in their proper places on dark and light acid-etched squares in the granite tabletop.

I don't know if she did so absentmindedly, but she moved her queen's pawn forward two spaces. I responded by opposing hers with mine: e5. She then moved a pawn to f4. I accepted her gambit.

"Unless what?" I probed, my e5 pawn taking hers: exf4.

"Simi and I were unaccompanied in our travel here. We were given news which compelled immediate action and a return on a flight that held barely twenty people. We were met by base security at the gate at the airport but with no drama. Our return flight must, of course, be falsified. Sean, how do you imagine you appeared when you left your building this morning?"

Irenka moved a bishop to c4.

I moved my queen to h4. "Check," I warned. "I have no idea. I'd just learned Aly was dead, and I was being escorted by uniformed security officers. They even took me through a back exit to avoid the main lobby. I imagine I was looking shocked and dismayed."

"I suspect there was someone nearby who managed to record your supposed arrest," Irenka said.

Cedric spoke next. "I think I'm following you. I was accompanied on a train after I'd allegedly killed myself. But there was no one else in the carriage to see me."

King to f1.

Our game continued briskly with moves between thoughts, questions, and answers.

"And what about the false students? Surely the media will dig into that angle and try to locate them, only to discover they, as Gantry said, never existed?"

"Maybe they will find their names are of a certain nationality and will not be able to prove they do not exist," Aly proposed.

"Ah. Another feint in the direction of the peninsula?"

"Perhaps," Irenka nodded.

"But … won't campus security say they never received a report of a death? What first responders were involved, and what did they find?"

Simi stepped outside with Shizuka. "What are you discussing?" he asked.

"How it would be possible to cover up the fact that no one died in Alyonka's office," I answered.

"Campus security notified Central Mission immediately when they received the call. The call to campus security was placed from Alyonka's office, or at least that is what their systems indicate. Their emergency unit waited to dispatch on request from CM. When they did arrive, there was, indeed, a body being removed by the CM security people. Central claimed federal jurisdiction over it."

"What? How do you know this?" Aly gasped.

"General Gantry's aide told me. It was a dummy in a body-bag." Simi answered. "We are due back inside, my friends."

"Just one more moment," I said. I moved my knight to take her queen: Nxf6.

She moved her bishop to e7 and grinned. "Checkmate."

"Nicely done," I said, offering a handshake in my defeat.

Irenka summarized what we were all surely thinking. "We are all now playing grandmaster-level chess but prohibited from seeing the active pieces."

We returned to the conference room. Gantry was leaving as we entered. "I'll be back in an hour," he said over his shoulder as he made his way down the corridor.

There were two individuals waiting for us. A man and a woman introduced themselves as quartermasters. The group separated as the ladies went with the woman while the men stayed behind. The man handed each of us a digital tablet.

"You have one hour to shop. Think of yourselves as being on a deserted island for four weeks. Select what you need, and it will be delivered in a few hours."

"Anything at all?" I asked.

"Your uniforms and utility clothing will be the standard issue apparel you're already familiar with, but if you need underclothes, toiletries, shoes or⁠—"

I interrupted with, "I get the idea."

I scrolled through numerous pages and added items such as undershirts, sleepwear, casual clothes, briefs, soap, shampoo, shaving sundries, oral hygiene items and the like to my list. I kept scrolling and was surprised at what appeared.

"These aren't off-limits?" I asked, turning the tablet so he could see it.

"If it's there, it's already been approved for requisition."

I grinned as I selected an additional item.

True to his word, General Gantry returned as did the four women.

"All sorted?" he asked the two staffers.

He received nods from both as they departed. Having submitted the orders digitally, the tablets were left for our use.

Aly gave me a smile I can only describe as adorable. I hoped she sensed the same affection in mine.

She sat next to me at the conference table. She placed her hand on my thigh and softly caressed it for a few moments. I interlaced the fingers of my hand with hers.

"Next item of business," said Gantry. "I need all of you to provide a list of the individuals you would have us inform of the … liars' affair."

"Explain, please," Cedric said.

"As soon as it is considered to be safe, we intend to notify the people you list that whatever they might have heard is a falsification. You must understand they will not be informed as to the purpose until later."

Using his comm, General Gantry snapped a wide-angle photograph of us all seated as a group at the table.

"That photograph will be made into a non-fungible token to verify the accuracy and fidelity of the image and its timestamp. We will use it as proof of your well-being when the time comes."

Simi groaned. "How convenient."

"Would you prefer all of your closest contacts forever believe you were lost in the mountains of Sweden until you miraculously appear in front of them?"

Siemen remained silent. I suspected he understood the point. He began jotting names on his tablet. The rest of us complied as well.

I listed my parents and two sisters. I internally debated for a few minutes, then added Dione Wilcox to my list because I figured I'd be beside myself in the same situation.

After the task was completed, we were served lunch. True to the quartermaster's words, the items we requested were delivered later in the evening to the six rooms assigned to us.