A Butterscotch Sky Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Simi turned his back. I could tell he was still having a difficult time with the loss.

I retrieved my suit and removed my damaged concentrator.

"Sean, would you mind, instead, if I use hers?" Simi quietly asked.

"Oh. Of course not," I said, kicking myself internally for not suggesting it myself.

He removed the identical unit from his suit and attached it to mine, then attached Shizuka's to his.

Irenka said, "Who do you choose to go check out the habitat?"

"Sean and I will go," Aly answered.

I nodded and began to climb into my suit.

As we made our way to the airlock, Irenka tapped Aly on the shoulder and pointed to the lockbox.

"Why? There are no remaining hostiles," Aly said.

"They would not lie to us?" she challenged.

She tapped in her code and removed two stuns, handing one to me.

"Be careful, my brother," Simi said as we entered the lock and latched our helmets to our suits.

"Specialist Reinoud, you are in charge here until we return," Aly advised.

"Acknowledged," Simi said then vented the airlock.

We climbed into the rover and began the fifteen minute drive back to the habitat.

I slowed the vehicle as we approached, watching the magnified view of the helmet camera on my HUD. I visually scanned the entire facility, then began circumnavigating it from a few hundred meters' distance. Aly was observing as well.

"Everything looks completely quiet," she observed.

"Too quiet," I cautiously replied, looking at the PTZ cameras mounted at various locations to see if any of them were moving and tracking our approach. None were, even the one nearest the main module which should have been doing so automatically.

The rover rang a bell over the comm and came to a sudden stop. I'd been paying too much attention to reconnoitering. I had almost driven us into a pit.

I reversed, then maneuvered next to it.

"Is this where the nuclear charge was retrieved?" Aly asked.

"No way to know with certainty, but I can't imagine any other reason why there'd be an excavation so close to the base."

"We must continue," Aly pressed, pointing towards the main facility.

I drove us slowly there. Hyperawareness caused me to note anything out of place. My own internal sense of time made it seem as though I'd only been away for a little over two months. A brief hiatus. But in actuality, it had been fourteen.

"Does this feel as odd to you as it does to me?" I ask Aly.

"It does. It seems as though we were just here."

I maneuvered the rover over its inductive charging platform. Several lights illuminated on the panel. One was a countdown clock indicating the vehicle would need approximately thirty minutes to fully recharge.

"Simi," I radioed, "how do you receive?"

"Clear, Sean," he replied immediately.

"The rover is charging. Thirty minutes. We are about to check the habitat."

"Understood," he acknowledged.

Approaching the airlock entry, I visually confirmed the thermite bead's igniter had its safety back in place. My own muscle memory distinctly remembered arming it as Aly and I departed at the conclusion of Pleiades Six.

"The habitat is pressurized," she noted, observing the differential pressure indicator near the airlock hatch's handle.

I checked my stun to ensure the safety was off and its indicator was showing ready.

Aly reached for the handle.

"Wait. Go unicast for a moment, please."

She tapped her wrist. "What is wrong?"

"Nothing. I only wanted to tell you I love you."

I could barely see her face due to the glare on her visor, but I saw she was smiling.

"I love you, too, my bonded," she said, stroking my shoulder.

Though I figured she knew I couldn't feel her touch through the bulky suit, it was still a very welcomed physical affirmation.

She tapped her wrist once again.

"The hab is pressurized, and we are entering," I radioed.

No acknowledgment was received, nor did I expect constant feedback on our color commentary.

It took almost a minute and a half for the airlock to cycle. Twice as long was required compared to Orion's, because the hab's lock was three times larger in volume. I felt my suit become more supple as the pressure differential began to match.

"Let's leave our helmets on until we verify the quality of the atmosphere," I said.

Aly nodded.

Even though I heard and felt the suit-mounted concentrator reduce its effort significantly, I knew it'd still protect us from hazardous gasses it might sense. I brought up its status indicator on my HUD. It showed all was normal, but the monitoring system in the lab module would be the most reliable source of confirmation.

We cautiously entered the inner hatch, stuns held at the ready.

"It appears housekeeping was not a priority," Aly commented.

"Obviously not," I agreed, seeing things like notebooks and food pouches littering areas even from the anteroom.

"I suggest we check the command module first, then energy, then go to the lab and medical."

"Agreed."

I switched my HUD's view to the rear-facing helmet cam. I didn't want anything sneaking up behind us as I trailed Aly.

The command module was a little more orderly, though several pieces of equipment were visibly damaged.

"Irenka and Simi, prepare an assessment based on my camera's views," I said.

"Roger," Irenka responded before I started a slow panoramic scan.

The energy management module was spic and span. I suppose our guests knew how critical electricity was to their survival. The laboratory, however, was essentially emptied of all instrumentation. One of the mass spectrometers and the air quality monitor, though, was functional and both indicated all parameters were normal.

"Murderous pirates," Simi groaned over the comm. "They've taken damn near everything."

"It appears so," I agreed audibly. "Simi, I'm going to remove my helmet. Switch over to the habitat's comm so we can test it."

"How do you hear?" I heard through the hab's air a few seconds later.

"Clear comm. How me?"

"Seems like they left it working," Simi responded from six kilometers away.

The medical bay appeared to have been similarly ransacked. Equipment was disassembled, the biomonitors were missing, and the contents of the drug and supply cabinets had been strewn about.

Aly removed her own helmet, crouched down, and sifted through a number of packets and containers.

"I believe much of what was left behind is here, but I will have to sort, inventory, and store it," she said. "There are some medications which appear to be not among these."

"Which ones?"

"Opioids and sedatives."

It didn't surprise me. The thought crossed my mind that, given similar circumstances, I might have chosen to self-medicate, as well.

"Okay. Let's check out communications and controls," I suggested.

When we arrived there, we saw that most of the equipment was simply powered down.

"I hope they didn't booby-trap this stuff," I said, reaching for the power switch for the main computer.

I clamped my eyes closed before I flicked the heavy circuit breaker upward, only opening them when nothing exploded.

The display activated, and I watched the power-on diagnostics begin to appear on the screen. Hundreds of green checkmarks and descriptions scrolled rapidly, and a few red ones began to dock at the top screen in decreasing order of importance.

"Receiving base telemetry, Commanders," Cedric called over the comm.

"We've got some issues," I added when the diagnostic page filled with faults as the main computer finished booting.

"I see it," Cedric said. "There are a few majors, but most of them are minor. It'll give us something to do to pass the time."

I couldn't help but chuckle at his positivity.

"Good news," Irenka called. "I am able to connect to both the rover and the cargo EV. Sean, can you check the autonomy module?"

I stepped to another system, similarly powered off, and flicked its switch. It initialized quickly, displaying a map indicating both vehicles' positions.

"The rover and CEV are online," Irenka advised. "Autonomy restored."

"Excellent. How's the CEV's charge?"

"Seventy-nine percent. The rover is fully charged."

"Good. Command the CEV to come to Orion, and command the rover to come to the front door of the hab. We'll be on our way shortly," I instructed.

"Acknowledged, sir. Commands sent."

Our last stop was through the quarters. They were in various states of disarray. Again, keeping things clean did not appear to concern our uninvited guests.

"Now for the difficult work," Aly said.

"Yeah. Let's head back," I said, moving to replace my helmet.

"I need to retrieve supplies from medical to comply with protocols."

I followed her there and watched as she sorted through the detritus scattered on the floor. She handed me small packets as she found what she needed. They were all labeled Rapid Anaerobic Biozome, 1g . She then removed a single paper exam table cover from a drawer.

We were back at Orion Alpha twenty minutes later, just as the cargo EV approached.

"Go unicast for a minute," I requested.

She did then nodded.

"How are we going to approach this?" I asked, holding the white sheet and chemicals.

"I do not understand your question."

"Should all five of us go? Should we lay Ayani-san to rest first, or after the four others?"

"I do not know. Let us, as you say, play with our ears?"

I smiled at her phrase. "Going back to broadcast," I said, touching my wrist controller.

"All hands, please assemble at the rover," Aly spoke.

The other three acknowledged in various ways, and fifteen minutes later, the group of five stood together.

I said, "Commander, it is my opinion we first attend to Ayani-san's last request. Then, time permitting, we will collect and deposit the four others' remains."

"Any disagreement?" asked Alyonka.

"Not I," said Simi. He was the only one of the other three to speak.

"Very well. Irenka, please program a route to Aeolis Marcus," Aly requested.

Irenka deftly tapped on the cargo EV's panel, and transferred the same program digitally to the rover. We departed, first stopping at the site of the incursion to retrieve Specialist Shizuka Ayani's suited body.

Simi and Cedric carefully lifted her from the surface and placed her body in the cargo EV's rear segment.

"I am sorry, Simi, but I must ask a question of Commander Sabratova," Cedric warily advised.

I saw Simi nod.

"Commander, her body is very rigid. I think maybe I should activate her suit heater, or it will be very difficult to rem⁠—"

"Understood," Aly interrupted and held up her hand, sparing him. "Since her suit has no concentrator, it has no electrical power. Can you buddy with her?" Aly asked.

"Yes, ma'am," he responded, and climbed into the module with her.

"Irenka, lead the way," I said after all of us were situated.

"This is a long trek," she advised as we started moving. "Approximately ninety standard minutes."

The cargo EV had the additional power and traction required to climb the thousand meters to the peak of Marcus, so Aly and I left the rover and transferred to the cramped confines of an empty module. It took another forty minutes to reach the summit.

"How does this work?" Cedric asked.

"She asked to be laid to rest without a uniform or suit of any kind," I responded.

Alyonka asked, "Simi, do you wish to do this yourself⁠—"

"I am conflicted, Commander. I wish to be a part of her final request, but I do not wish to see her in her present state. I do not want my last sight of her to be⁠—"

"I understand, my brother," I said, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Aly, unicast."

"What is it, love?"

"I agree with him. He shouldn't have to see her body the way it is right now, should he?"

"No. I will ask Irenka to assist me, and you gentlemen can stand behind the cargo EV if you wish to protect her modesty and dignity. I brought a cover for her."

"Okay, but has her body … I don't⁠—has her body … thawed?"

She stepped to the module where Cedric still sat and looped an arm under Ayani-san's legs, and her other under her arms.

She hefted her reduced weight and Cedric disconnected the buddy line. Aly carefully walked ten meters and deposited Ayani-san on the Martian surface. "Yes," she answered before switching back to broadcast.

I stood next to Alyonka, in a formal parade rest with my hands behind my hips, the fingers of each hand barely in contact with the other. Everyone noticed our actions and joined us, shoulder to shoulder, in a line parallel to Ayani.

"Specialist Shizuka Ayani. The quiet one," I spoke. "I mourn that I will never speak to you again, to share ideas, to debate, to argue, and to learn from you, but I celebrate your passing to the afterlife. You were a gentle, kind, and encouraging mentor to me in many things throughout our joined careers, and I will remember you for the remainder of my days with fondness. Arigato gozaimashita ."

Simi spoke next, in his own language. His voice was thick with emotion. His anguish, again, soaking his eulogy.

Fucking EV suits! I needed to wipe my eyes and nose but couldn't.

Cedric spoke next. "Ayani-san, one part of your character will always mystify me. You could make every single one of us laugh in the most trying of circumstances. Your quiet but happy nature was something I always fail to form in myself, though I will continue to try. I am certain you are lighting up whatever realm your enduring soul happens to explore at this moment, my friend. I, too, will remember you forever, and my life has been enriched by our acquaintance. Farewell," he said before he grasped Simi into as big an embrace as two suits would allow.

Irenka, in Czech, spoke for a minute. I understood not a single word she said, but I noticed Cedric held her hand throughout.

Alyonka, my bonded, offered her own words. She also spoke in her own language, ending in a word I knew well. Dosvedanya . Until we meet again.

Simi knelt to the ground and placed his visor against Shizuka's. "I shall forever love you, though our bond is broken."

I helped him to his feet. "Come with me, my brother. You should not have to see this. You, too, Cedric."

Irenka stared wordlessly at Aly until the message became clear to her.

We stepped to the other side of the cargo EV as the two women disrobed her.

Six minutes later, the pair joined us. Aly placed Shizuka's helmet and carefully folded suit in the CEV. "It is completed."

"Irenka, Aly, thank you for fulfilling her request. She is at peace," Simi said. "Thank you, Cedric and Sean, my brothers."

The CEV descended the peak of Aeolis Marcus much more quickly than its ascent. In the quiet, I retrieved everyone's spoken sentiments from the comms and had the computer translate them. They broke my heart. Again.

When we arrived at Orion, we entered the ship, tended to biological needs, consumed some food and water, then began our next task. We collected the four corpses then placed them as instructed on flat ground about ten kilometers north of Orion Alpha.

Alyonka deposited the contents of packets into each of their mouths, and I followed her to immediately replace their helmets. I ensured the solar visors were lowered because I had no desire to witness the effects of the biozome.

RAB induces and accelerates decomposition in the otherwise sterile Martian environment. It's the same substance we add to biodegradable refuse and other … well, biological material. It then completely degrades, eliminating the risk of spawning enduring forms of earthly bacteria or viruses on another world.

Our final job of the day was to make a circuit from Orion to nodes two and three to determine what would be required to prepare the pads for the landings of the resupply modules.

Irenka carefully crafted a profile for the rover which, after attaching itself to a carbon fiber push bar, could hopefully do the majority of the work overnight.

We returned to Orion as the sun was setting then sent the rover and EV back to the base to recharge.

The five of us sat together for our last meal of the day.

The communication panel beeped.

Imolet scheduled for launch in thirty-nine hours.

"Best news I've seen since we arrived," Simi said when I passed the information on to everyone.

We tidied up the ship, then settled in for some much-needed sleep.


Sol 9, Mission Time: 07:30

"The rover gave up on a few of the larger pieces of debris," Irenka advised us all when we'd finished preparing our breakfasts and congregated to eat.

"How big are we talking about?" I asked.

"The smallest is approximately four hundred kilograms. The largest is almost a metric tonne. Other than this, the rover performed well."

"What?!" Cedric scoffed. "We're expected to move that shit ourselves?"

"Think weight, Cedric, not mass," Simi reminded him. "Three of us together could move the small one by hand. It'll feel like we each are lifting only forty kilograms."

"Maths are difficult," he sheepishly said.

Even Simi chuckled at Cedric's self-deprecation because Specialist Hamilton had a PhD in mathematics. What he'd just exhibited was his penchant for thinking of everything in purely mathematical terms, often ignoring the physics.

Irenka asked, "Are we going to try to fetch the remaining two deceased Koreans?"

"I do not think it would be wise," Alyonka responded. "I think it would be appropriate to travel to their locations to gain additional imagery, then wait for instructions from Central Mission."

Irenka quietly nodded.

"We have a busy sol ahead. Let us get to work," Aly said.

It required the better part of the sol to clear Node Two, pausing only for breaks every three hours for relief, rehydration, and rest. The 3R3 rule.

To use a term I'd heard as a child, we pigged out at dinner. We did the same for breakfast the following morning, and again that evening after removing the debris at Node Three. Before the five of us settled into crew rest, Alyonka sent a message to Central to inform them the pads had been cleared of debris for the landings of the resupply modules.

I drifted into unconsciousness more easily than I had in weeks⁠—months? I don't know. I'd lost track of time. I held my bonded's relaxed hand in mine as we slipped into the ether of sleep.


Sol 11, Mission Time: 05:17

The console beeped loudly, awakening everyone.

Resupply 1 to land sol 11 07:44, 2 sol 12 14:55. Do not approach landing nodes until twelve hours after touchdown. Both windows clean and assured. S11 assignment is to reestablish hab telemetry. Received images of damage suggests possible. Acknowledge receipt.

The message elated me.

"What is your opinion?" Alyonka asked.

I smiled. "It's good news."

OA acknowledges. Aly dispatched the answer.

The team worked a miracle that day, managing to revive the most important links between the base and Central Mission. We were able to observe the landing of R1 from our vantage point aboard Orion, and most of us celebrated by including a dessert with breakfast.

Simi abstained. He'd adopted Ayani-san's preferences and chose whitefish, rice, and pickled vegetables for his breakfast. I can say without any equivocation that I didn't particularly enjoy the aroma at that time of morning, but I wondered if his choice gave him some form of closure. He'd even taken to eating nattō , which I found odd because Shizuka couldn't stand the stuff. She didn't understand why they'd wasted room in food stores by including it.

The day was spent with the five of us settling back into the habitat. The first order of business was to clean up the quarters, which required several hours. Simi and Alyonka focused on communication and control. Irenka and I concentrated on cleaning up the command module, while Cedric worked in the lab.