A Christmas Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She drained her beer and took the can to the kitchen before heading off for a shower and then bed. She was still awake when she heard Dan come up the hallway to his room and she smiled when she realised that he was humming.

"Good night, Dan," she called softly.

"Good night, Meg ... thank you so much for everything you did last night and today. You made it so much easier to talk with my kids than it would have been if you weren't there ... and that helped so much."

Dan could see right down to the yard's front gate from where he sat in the office, and he just happened to be looking up when Meg walked through the gate. It was exactly one week since he had first seen her in the grocery store and the change in her had been dramatic.

The woman he had seen that first time had been pale and skinny, her hair had been tidy but it lacked any body and just hung in strands down her haunted face. Her clothes were old and worn and showed nothing of her figure and she had looked defeated and scared of what others might do to her.

The woman who was walking towards the office had a spring in her step. She looked confident and she was smiling and the clothes she wore were fashionable and well cared for. Her skirt was short but not too short, her t-shirt showed off her slim body and firm breasts and she wore a pair of brand-name joggers rather than the shabby sandals she had been wearing the week before.

Her brown hair curled around her face and had body and bounce and shone in the Texas winter sun. It was hard for Dan to believe that she was the same person that he had seen the week before.

"Hi Dan, you escaped this morning before I had your lunch ready, so I brought you some of my world-famous epic turkey sandwiches."

The sandwiches sounded wonderful to Dan but she could have come with nothing and he would still have been happy to see her.

"The sandwiches sound great Meg ... would you like some coffee?"

"I would love some," and her smile made him catch his breath.

Once she was settled with her coffee Dan brought his chair around to her side of the desk and sat looking at her.

"You've had your hair done?" In the last day or so he had begun to struggle to find things to say to her without sounding like a bumbling fool and he almost winced when he realised how dumb that question must sound to her.

She gave no indication that it did sound dumb to her but instead smiled and asked him if he liked it. He immediately began to blush and she laughed, "Out with it ... tell me what you were thinking and what you were about to say."

"I was nearly going to say that it enhances your beauty," he mumbled, desperately wishing that he could tap his heels together and run away down the yellow brick road.

"Look me in the eye and say that Dan!"

God, how he wished the ground would open up and swallow him. He had never been good with women and how he had ever settled down with Carrie was almost a mystery to him ... and now he was saying silly things to another attractive woman.

He dragged his eyes up to meet hers and he realised that she was smiling. He swallowed hard, "I said that I really like the way you have had your hair done because it enhances your beauty."

"I am so glad you like it Dan," she said softly, "I really am."

They sat looking at each other for a few moments and then Dan grinned, "I think you just bring out the worst in me Meg."

Meg laughed but she was thinking that if this was the worst side of Dan then she could definitely live with that.

They chatted for a while and made plans to go grocery shopping that afternoon and Dan mentioned that they had been invited to a New Year's Eve party at Kate and Bill's place ... a perfect place to watch the firework displays.

They discussed what the kids would need to wear to stay warm in the cold night air and Meg realised that they must have sounded like a married couple ... they were so relaxed and in tune with each other.

When she finally left Dan watched her all the way to the gate ... he loved the way her hips rolled as she walked and he suddenly had to stop himself. He hadn't let himself look at a woman like that since Carrie walked out and he berated himself for being weak and looking at Meg like that.

The party at Kate and Bill's place was small but boisterous and Meg was amazed at how much fun and laughter there was. The attendees were mostly from Dan's business ... couples with their kids ... where the idea was for everyone to have fun.

Several times through the evening Madonna and Kate stopped to exchange knowing glances when they saw Dan and Meg standing close together but there was no real sign that they were anything but friends.

But as the night wore on the knowing glances changed to smiles and winks because wherever they saw Dan Meg would always be close by and if they saw Meg then Dan wouldn't be far away. Of course, that could have been because Willow and Henry were always around them but Madonna and Kate were sure that there was romance in the air.

Perhaps it was a shame that they missed the moment when Dan and Meg did touch but then nobody else saw it either.

As in many places around the world, the fireworks display was divided into two. The main display would be at the traditional time of midnight while an earlier display would cater for those small children who would be sound asleep by that late hour.

Everyone at the party was waiting eagerly to see the first bursts of colour and Dan and Meg were standing side by side with Willow and Henry in front of them but when the first rocket exploded the two children began to complain that they couldn't see a thing ... there were too many big people in front of them.

Dan knew the solution to that problem. He squatted down between them and slipped an arm around the waist of each child and then stood up and eased them onto his hips. Instantly they could see everything, and their cries of delight brought tears to the eyes of their mother.

Without thinking she slipped an arm around Dan's waist and snuggled close so she could point out some of the bursts and colours to her two children. It felt good to be this close to Dan and she could feel his inner strength enveloping her. It was a feeling she never wanted to end.

When the display was over Dan eased the kids back to the ground and when he stood up Meg was looking up at him ... and he could see the doubt in her eyes. Had she gone too far, too soon?

Dan leaned down and kissed her hair, "Should we get a drink or get the kids home to bed?"

She reached up and brushed his cheek with her fingers, "Maybe we stay a little longer?"

He put his arm around her shoulders and she leaned into him and slipped her arm around his waist as they shepherded the kids over to a quiet spot on the edge of the party where they were out of the way.

Meg had wanted to just talk with Dan, but that idea went out the window the moment Madonna spotted them with their arms around each other. Madonna was on one side of the party while Kate was on the other, but Kate seemed to instantly know what Madonna had just seen and the two of them descended on Dan and Meg like heat-seeking missiles.

Fortunately, after a few minutes, Henry came up to them rubbing his eyes, "Sleep Mommy"

Meg picked her son up and sent Dan in search of Willow and once he had her in his arms they went round saying their goodbyes and headed for home.

Both children were asleep by the time they got there so Dan carried them into their bedroom one at a time and Meg tucked them in. Henry was totally out of it but Willow stirred as Dan began to lay her down in the bed.

"Love you Dan," she murmured and was instantly asleep again. Dan didn't know what to say but he kissed her forehead as Meg pulled up the covers and Meg knew that she had an answer to one of the questions she had been thinking about on the way home.

If Willow liked him then Henry was sure to feel the same way ... but now Meg was faced with another dilemma. She and Dan had been affectionate at the party so what would he expect now that they were home?

What did she expect? She knew what her body wanted but what would he think if she suddenly threw herself at him and followed him into his bed? And was that where she really wanted to be that night?

She went to her bedroom and pulled off the warm coat and the boots and thick socks she had been wearing and then hesitated. Perhaps she could just go straight to bed without saying goodnight to Dan and then there would be no issue of what she should do next.

Meanwhile Dan had gone to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate for them both but when Meg didn't appear he began to wonder if he had done something wrong ... or had said something that upset her.

He didn't want to come between her and her kids ... he didn't want to get close to Willow and Henry if that was not what Meg wanted ... and what about those signs of affection between them at the party?

Was it too soon to be attracted to her? Would those signs of affection scare her off? He had almost cringed when Madonna and Kate had descended on them but how did Meg feel?

She had been gone so long that he was sure she wasn't coming back and he had just begun putting away the cups and the tin of hot chocolate when Meg came almost crept into the living room.

"Dan, we have to talk," she said timidly.

No matter how a woman says those four words ... 'we have to talk' ... those words will strike fear into the hearts of any grown man who hears them and Dan was no exception.

"OK," he said gently, "how about I make us a mug of hot chocolate and we can sit and talk."

"That sounds good ... but there is something I have to do first."

Dan expected her to wander off to the bathroom or go and check on the kids but instead she came across to where he was standing in the kitchen and hugged him.

"You don't realise how much strength you have given me in this past week ... I know how I was the day you met me and I know how I was the day I brought you your lunch and I couldn't have made the journey between those two points without the strength that you gave me ... that you give everyone ... without even realising it."

It was Dan's turn to hug Meg, "And you don't realise that are the best thing that has happened to me in the last ten years. Sure, it looks as though my kids have come back into my life and that has been wonderful but having you in my life has been far beyond anything that having them back in my life has done.

"You know, I desperately want to kiss you and tell you that I'm falling in love with you Meg but I'm too scared to say those things to you directly in case it scares you away."

Meg wriggled and squirmed in Dan's arms as she tried to get even closer to him, "Why don't you try telling me ... I can't run away while you're holding me like this."

He saw the faint smile on her lips and the warmth in her eyes as she looked at him, he took a deep breath and just as he was about to speak, she interrupted him.

"Wasn't there something that you wanted to do before all that?"

Dan chuckled and bent down and kissed her ... the first one was soft and quick ... too quick ... she obviously wanted more so he kissed her again and took his time to tease her lips with his tongue and then pull her hard against him as he lured her tongue into his mouth.

This time they didn't sit at either end of the couch ... they sat almost touch but still facing one another.

"Dan, I don't want another disaster because I rushed into something that was so totally wrong for me and the children, but when you put your arm around me tonight I could feel your strength and your warmth and I wanted more of it ... much more of it.

"I had also been concerned that I had gone from zero to thinking about more than living in the same house with you in just 7 days. It seemed way too short a time for me to feel anything lasting for you and yet ... I ... felt that I loved you and wanted to spend the rest of my life with you.

"Of course, being a lawyer, part of me wanted some clear evidence to prove that I was in love with you, and that cool-headed lawyer didn't have to wait long to get the evidence. You walked in the door from the office and it was as if my heart skipped a beat.

"That lawyer still wasn't satisfied but, once again, the evidence was at hand. You had left for the yard about ten minutes before ... and already I was missing you. The house seemed empty, and I was almost counting the minutes till you would be home again

And that is how it has been every day of these seven days. I miss you and can't wait for you to get home because I love the way we talk about things; I love the way you treat me as an equal instead of some air-headed bimbo ... and I love the way you smile when you look at me and think that I don't notice.

"Some guys would be stripping me naked with their eyes but when I see that cheeky smile and know that you're looking at me it's like a warm hug.

"And Dan, my feelings for you are growing every day. Tonight, when you picked both kids up so that they could see the fireworks I wanted to hug and kiss you and tell you what a wonderful man you are.

"But what if it's all because I have some sort of hero worship going on for you because you saved us? What if all these warm fuzzy feelings disappear in a few months?

"I don't want to trap you in a marriage that is nothing but a sham so I don't want us to rush into getting married and, because I want to make sure that all the hard work and effort that you have put into your business is protected ... I want a pre-nup that says that if we split for any reason then we both walk away with what we came with ... so your business stays with you."

"So, now it's your turn."

"Define 'rush' for me?" he asked quietly

"Pardon?" She had expected Dan to start talking about what he saw as the issues they would be facing but instead he wanted to know what she meant when she used a particular word.

"You said: '... I don't want us to rush into getting married' and I guess what I wanted to know was what length of time would you assign to the word 'rush' ..."

"I don't know ... maybe six months ... maybe less or maybe even more ... I don't know."

"So, if I asked you to marry me in March ... would that be too soon?"

"I ... don't ... I'm not ..."

"Meg you add colour and light to every day ... your bravery and resilience amazes me and leaves me in awe of you ... the fact that your smile and your beauty is still so evident after such a terrible period in your live is simply amazing and speaks volumes to your indomitable spirit ... and just being near you makes me a better person.

"These are not the signs of a casual infatuation Meg ... these are signs that you are worthy of my love, and I am never going to feel any less for you than I do now ... so I don't want to wait six months or even six weeks."

Meg didn't know what to say but Dan had had enough, "I'm going to bed I guess I'll see you in the morning ... good night my love."

Meg sat in the living room for quite some time thinking about what had been said, she had said that they needed to talk, and boy had Dan talked!

Dan lay in bed knowing that he had said way too much and that he really should go back to the living room and apologise because, if he didn't, he was sure that she would be gone sometime in the next day or so.

But what he said was the truth. She really was all those things to him ... and more ... so why should he apologise for telling her how he felt about her?

He hadn't even started anything ... it had been Meg who put her arm around him when he picked up her kids. It had been Meg who said that they needed to talk.

If she had just let things be he would have been able to resist the temptation to kiss her and tell her how he felt about her ... but oh no ... she had to go and pull the trigger on their romance and now it seemed that she couldn't handle where it was going.

He rolled onto his side and closed his eyes for the hundredth time as he ordered himself to go to sleep. Damn ... he didn't want to be around her in the morning so he would get up early and go down to do some fishing ... or maybe he go into the office and do some paperwork ... anything to get him out of the house and away from her.

He hadn't heard anything ... but he did feel the bed move as someone wriggled under the blankets and then snuggled up against his back. He could feel the unmistakable touch of naked breasts on his back, and he groaned as a bare arm slide across his belly and pulled him a little closer.

"You said six weeks," she whispered.

He sighed, "I said a lot of things that maybe I shouldn't have said ... but what's so important about six weeks?"

"You said a lot of things that needed to be said Dan ... things that I needed to hear because ... because I never thought that I would ever hear a man I cared for say them to me.

"Please, Dan ... roll onto your back ... please don't keep your back turned to me ... what I need to say should be said to your face ... not your back."

He did as she asked and suddenly, she was laying on top of him ... looking down at him ... just inches from his face and he had to wrap his arms around her, and for a moment they just lay together ... enjoying the intimate touch of their naked bodies.

"I love you Dan ... I just needed to stop being a scared and silly little girl and listen to my instinct instead of my fears."

"I love you too Meg and I need to start listening to your needs. Six weeks is probably just enough time to organise everything ... and I need to see your father and get his permission."

"That's so sweet my love but my parents passed away years ago ... so the only person you have to ask is me."

She giggled when Dan realised that he hadn't actually asked her to marry him, and he wanted to get out of bed and get down on one knee ... but she wouldn't let him.

"No way am I letting you up till you pop the question ... for all I know you might be just waiting for me to let you up so you can run away."

Actually, Dan didn't want her to roll off him ... he had just found the sweet curves of her ass and his hands were having a lot of fun.

"Do you think that you can leave my ass alone long enough to pop the question Dan?"

Dan slowly withdrew his hands to a more neutral position on her back and took a deep breath, "My love will you marry me on Valentine's Day?"

She laughed, "I didn't think that you realised the significance of six weeks ... but I certainly do accept your proposal my love ... and by the sound of the noise outside, you proposed and I accepted just as we started the new year.

"Now my love ... do you think that you can do something creative with that iron bar that's pressing into me?"

"I can't think of a better way to start the New Year my love."