A Cloak of Lies Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What do you want to know? Tell you what; I'll give you what you want, free of charge."

Brick smirked, stepping back to let his partners have the floor. Niko sized the man up. This Johnny looked like everything Niko despised about the slimy underworld. His hair was oiled and slicked back, his frame skinny and soft from overindulgence in corruption and drugs.

Reaching across the man, Niko picked up a small mirror lined with streaks of white powder. He looked from Johnny to the face of the young woman in the corner and back again.

"I want information on another scumbag," he said quietly. "He goes by the name of Oleander. His people are marked by tattoos of..."

Niko stopped when he saw the horror on the man's face. Johnny glanced around, seeming to search for an escape route.

"I don't know anything," Johnny replied, not meeting his eyes. "You came to the wrong place."

"Then why do you look like someone just grabbed those diseased balls of yours?" Brick asked.

"I swear I don't know anything."

"Jog his memory, Brick," Niko said.

Brick hauled Johnny from the chair, slamming the man down face up on his desk. While holding a large arm across his throat, Brick pulled the knife from his boot, dangling it in front of Johnny's face.

"You know me, Johnny. You know what I'll do with this blade," Brick said softly, slowly moving the knife down the man's body. "I'll slice off your cock and balls and laugh while you bleed to death."

"I swear...," Johnny whimpered. "Please."

"Pull his drawers off, boys. Gonna have to get bloody on this one," Brick said, pressing the blade low on the man's belly.

"No," Johnny gasped.

"Christ. He just pissed himself," Olan said in disgust.

"Better talk, Johnny," Niko said. "You know how he gets when he smells fear."

"Wha... What do you want to know?"

"Just start talkin'," Brick said, pressing the knife a little harder. "We'll tell you when to shut up."

"Okay, okay. He's a dangerous man. If he finds out I talked, he'll have me killed."

"Too bad," Brick growled. "You lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Talk."

"He owns half the world," Johnny began. "He's the one that starts wars and causes disease and famine. He creates chaos."

"Who is he?" Niko asked.

"I don't know. No one does. Some say he lives on some island somewhere, but I swear I don't know where. I heard he's got some great scientist working for him. They say he's forcing the man to create bigger and better ways of killing people."

"That's all real interesting there, Johnny," Brick growled, "but it don't tell us shit. What else you got?"

"All I know is he brings in huge shipments of drugs, floods the streets with them. He's the guy that keeps the law busy with crime. It's how he keeps the rest of the world distracted. He feeds on corruption."

"And he keeps you supplied," Niko said, dumping the cocaine on his face.

Johnny gagged, choking when he inhaled a mouthful.

"You better come up with something," Brick said. "These here boys would like to stake you out and burn your ass alive."

"I don't know anything else, I swear. But... but there might be a guy. His name is Lansky. He's down in New Mexico."

"Never heard of 'im," Brick said, showing Johnny the gleaming blade of the knife again.

"Y... you been away a long time. Lansky is the new man. He controls most things out here. Just go see him."

Brick finally let Johnny up, telling him that he'd be back if the information turned out to be a lie. As they left, the big guard stepped out of their way, giving them a wide berth.

"You don't look much like a 'Marion'," Niko commented as they stepped into the bright desert sunshine.

"Just forget you heard that, huh?" Brick replied. "Hated that damned name all my life. That's why I shortened my last name to Brick."

"I thought you were called 'Brick' because you're built like a brick shithouse," Niko laughed.

Brick's grin was only momentary, turning to a scowl when Olan said, "I thought it was because you smell like a brick shithouse. I mean, damn. You just had a bath a few hours ago. How does one man produce that kind of smell so quick? Ever heard of deodorant?"

"Man, that was harsh," Brick muttered. "You think just because I live in the wilderness I ain't got feelings?"

"Yes," Olan laughed, opening the door to the car.

"Well, you're wrong."

"Boys," Niko interrupted. "Save it for the enemy. We got a long way to go yet and we're running out of time."

"Friend of mine has an airfield about a hundred miles south of here. We can snag one of his planes," Brick offered.

"You drive," Niko said. "Just get us there fast."

***

"I look like a whore in this," Camille complained, plucking at the skirt of the form-fitting evening gown.

Alma led the way, ignoring Camille's outburst. Gerhardt had chosen the gown himself, had ordered her to see to it Camille wore the damned thing.

"You just mind your manners when we get in here. Oleander wants to have dinner with you and that's what you're going to do," Alma hissed.

"Nervous, Alma?" Camille mocked.

"Just shut your mouth," Alma said, pinching Camille's arm. "Oleander won't stand for rudeness. He'll have you cut up for shark bait if you talk to him like that."

"That would be preferable to suffering through a meal with him," Camille said.

"Just remember I warned you."

They entered a large formal dining hall, complete with a ridiculously long table. At one end stood a man that Camille had never before seen. When his eyes lit on her face, she knew she was looking into the cold, soulless eyes of pure evil. His hair was iron gray, his frame solid-looking beneath the finely tailored tuxedo he wore.

"Hello, my dear," said the man. "I trust you found our accommodations pleasing."

"Go to hell," Camille whispered, her voice lacking conviction. "I demand you release me at once."

The few people in the room fell into a dead silence, waiting for the man to react. A moment later his head snapped back, his voice erupting in softly controlled laughter.

"Gerhardt," the man said, "you didn't tell me what spirit she has. Charming. Very charming. Allow me to introduce myself, Mrs. Pavli. I'm Oleander."

"I don't give a damn who you are," she hissed, bristling under his amusement. "You have no right to keep me here."

"Oh, but I do. It seems the only way I'm going to be able to get control of that husband of yours. He's been a thorn in my side for some time. Now, with you here, he'll be too busy trying to find you to interfere with my business."

As the man spoke, he walked to Camille, offering her his hand. She slapped it away, spitting in his left eye. He drew his hand back, slapping her hard enough to send her flying backwards.

"Such a pity," Oleander said as he wiped his hand on his handkerchief. "I had hoped you would be reasonable. Perhaps a few days in my little dungeon will teach you some manners. Olaf!"

Out of nowhere, a man appeared, moving so quietly and quickly that Camille had to blink to be sure she'd seen him. The man reached a white-gloved hand for her, gently pulling her back to her feet. He led her away, his grip on her arm telling her there would be no mercy from him.

He pulled her onto an elevator, pushing a button that started the lift moving. It descended for several minutes, and when it stopped, the air on the other side of the door was fetid and damp. Without speaking, the man pulled her along a dark corridor that seemed to be carved from solid rock, stopping in front of a narrow iron door.

"Please," she begged. "Let me go. I have to go."

The man acted as if he hadn't heard her, opening the door to shove her gently inside. When the door closed, she was closed into the darkness of a clammy little cell, the only illumination being from the small slit near the top of the door.

"Damn it," she hissed, hugging herself against the cold.

"Are you real?" a voice asked from deep within the darkness.

"Who said that?"

"Me," the feminine voice answered. "I'm sorry if I scared you. I've been alone so long."

As Camille's eyes adjusted to the dim light, she could just make out a shadow moving near the far wall.

"Who are you?" Camille demanded.

"I'm Lorette. I'm sorry you're here, but I'm glad I don't have to be alone anymore."