A Death in the Family Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know Captain Perlman put Geiger with Parker," said Joanne, "but why try to force it so hard? Why not just get rid of Geiger, if he's so bad?"

"I'll answer this way." said Julia. "If it were you they wanted to get rid of, what would you do?"

"Look for another job, I guess." said Joanne.

"And if you had a reputation as being a dirty cop, or siding with them?" Julia said. "Geiger can't find another job. He's not wanted. Not even the SBI took him."

"To be fair," said Roy McGhillie, "Geiger wasn't a bad cop in Vice. But he worked with Ikea and Malone in the past, and nobody trusted him to have their back. Captain Croyle did not say this, but someone else told me that she got at least one of her Purple Orders because Geiger didn't do his job properly on a raid."

"And that's Parker's problem with him: he doesn't have his partner's back." said Theo. "And, quite frankly, it's mine too. I trust Joanne, and I trust any of you. But Geiger? I'd be nervous about it. And that means I'd be distracted, and not doing my job properly."

"And we're back to the age-old question." Joanne said. "Why did Commander Troy keep him?"

"People want to know why he kept Sergeant McCombs, and Hendricks, and Hatch, too." said McGhillie. "Truth is, it's not easy getting rid of the dirtbags, either in the Police Force or anywhere else. My dad says he and the Council have to deal with that a lot. The lawyers are like pit vipers, coiled and ready to strike with lawsuits. And the Union is the same way."

"He does realize we want him gone, doesn't he?" asked Joanne.

"Well, he's stuck, too." said Theo. "Like you said, Julia, how does he find another job and get out of here? Me, I'd go work for my brother and go to Law School. But Geiger? He has no fallback. He's gotta be miserable."

"He seems to roll with things pretty well." said Julia. "And maybe that's why the Iron Crowbar hasn't dusted him yet."

"We gotta get back, guys." said Roy. Everyone agreed, and they got up to go pay their bills. Despite being the Iron Crowbar's best Detectives, none of them seemed to notice the Uniformed Officer at the next table, his back turned to them, listening to their every word...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm just saying, sir," said Teddy Parker, "that I don't want Geiger working with me. I don't trust him." He and Jerome Davis were walking down the back hallway towards the gym. "I know you're doing this restructuring to move him around, but I don't want to deal with him at all. And if you ask the other Detectives, I bet they'll tell you the same thing."

"I hear you, Parker." said Davis as they got to what was called 'Captain Charles's Corner', the intersection of hallways in front of the Monitor Room. "And I've heard you before. But we're stuck with him. I can't send him back to Vice, and this is not a cop-out, but I've been forbidden from reassigning partners, specifically you and Geiger."

"Will you support me if I ask for a transfer to Vice?" asked Parker. "Or the Uniformed Division?"

"Vice is out; I already talked to Captain Perlman about that." Jerome asked. "And do you really want to be a Uniformed Officer after being a Detective?" He then looked around as he remembered that Uniformed Officers might be in nearby rooms and could hear him.

"If it'll get me out of being Geiger's partner? Hell yeah... I mean, yes sir." said Parker.

As they went into the gym, they did not notice a Uniformed Officer peeking out of the doorway into the hall, having listened to their conversation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Captain Teresa Croyle sat down with her Precinct Captains, Precinct Lieutenants, and SWAT Lt. Hewitt in the Main Conference Room for their weekly meeting.

"First of all," Teresa said, "I'm sure you've heard by now that Captain Carswell is retiring. I'm sure everyone is hating to lose him as much as I am, but I definitely appreciate your decades of service to the TCPD." Everyone in the room applauded Carswell, who looked a bit emotional.

"Thank you, ma'am, guys." Carswell said. "I'm going to miss you, and miss this. But it's time."

"I understand." Teresa said sympathetically. She then continued: "The Command Group will be looking at what to do going forward. You Lieutenants in the room, let me know if you want to be considered for the Precinct Captain slot. We are looking to fill the slot by August 1st, when Captain Carswell formally retires. Lt. Irwin, you'll be in charge in July, when Captain Carswell is burning up his remaining vacation time." Irwin nodded.

Teresa went on: "We have three big things on the agenda. First is planning for the July 4th Triathlon race. What's new is that the Wheelchair Race may have fifty or more entries, so there may be a complete re-working of the route, which will affect our planning. The second item is increased coverage of Council meetings and possibly the Charter Commission meetings. The third item is that some highly wanted and dangerous fugitives are still out there: Trent Ridge and Quint Starr. I want every Officer on the force to get refresher briefings on these two, circulate their photos, consider them armed and exceptionally dangerous, and all that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the meeting, Teresa had Lt. Irwin remain. "I want to tell you something, just between us." she said. "I'm really pushing for you to get the Precinct Captain slot."

"I appreciate that, ma'am." said Irwin.

"Here's the rub, though." Teresa said. "The Commander has reservations. He thinks you're doing a great job, but you were promoted to Precinct Lieutenant relatively early, and that you still need more experience. The Precinct Captain position is a tricky spot, and you can't be brevetted into it. So, use the time in July to prove to him that you can handle the job, and in doing so prove me right and make me look good."

Irwin grinned as he said "Yes ma'am. I won't let you down..."

Just then they became aware of voices in the hallway. Captain Perlman and Detective Geiger were talking.

"I'm just saying, ma'am," said Geiger, "that the MCD Detectives don't want me and don't trust me. I was doing okay in Vice, and I never asked to leave there. So why can't I go back?"

"That's just not feasible, Geiger." said Cpt. Perlman. "For now, you're in MCD, and both you and the others will have to make it work. And that's not a request on my part: make. it. work."

"Do I have any other options, ma'am?" Geiger asked.

"If you want to transfer to the Sheriff's Department, and be a Deputy," Tanya said, "I'll take it up with the Commander. But other than that, or you finding something else to do outside the Police Force, no, there's no other options."

Irwin looked scandalized as he said "With respect, ma'am, that's not professional. People are hearing them. Should I go say something?'

"No, let it ride." said Teresa. "And besides, the Commander likes initiative, but telling a Captain she's wrong, no matter how much she is, is not what he would have in mind for you to get 'noticed'."

And speaking of 'noticed', no one seemed to notice that Officers walking down the hall past them were being impolite enough to listen to conversations that did not concern them...

Part 6 - Watching the Watchers

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette from an 'undisclosed location' that was the parking lot of KXTC's studios, at 7:00am, Tuesday, June 4th. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police are losing a key leader!"

Bettina discussed PCpt. Carswell's retirement, then added: "The Town & County Police have not made public their plans for replacing Precinct Captain Carswell by August 1st, and Commander Donald Troy has not responded to repeated requests by KXTC for comment. The Police Union and Police Captain's Union both issued statements saying they expect the position to be formally filled by someone with the rank of Precinct Captain on August 1st. The TCPD cannot brevet anyone to Precinct Captain, either."

Bettina: "The Town & County Council is meeting tonight under tense circumstances, as Mayor Daniel Allgood continues to hold a 'whip hand' over the meetings. Several groups are threatening to sue the Mayor and Council for not allowing Citizens to speak at meetings, which they say is a violation of the First Amendment's right to petition for the redress of grievances. The Mayor's Office issued a statement saying that Citizens are being allowed to speak, provided that they follow the rules of order and general decorum. The statement also says that the Mayor will continue to not allow the Council's time to be wasted with issues already dealt with in this election cycle."

Bettina: "And student groups are furious with deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared for allowing the Special Session of the State Legislature to expire without passing laws banning the sale of 'assault rifles' and limiting magazine capacity to six rounds of ammunition. They are demanding that the Governor resign, and they are demanding the State Legislature convene to impeach and remove Jared for failing to protect Citizens from dangerous guns..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Captain Croyle," I said as we watched the Bettina broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room with the Usual Suspects of the Command Group, "deploy a full contingent to the Council meeting tonight. Something's up. Something's not right."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "We planned for that yesterday."

"Why do you think something's wrong, Mr. Crowbar?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Because Bettina's talking about it, Chief." I said. "She's not reporting the news, she's laying the groundwork for something to be created."

"Yyyyyep." Cindy Ross said. She was feeling the vibe on it.

Teresa said "I noticed Bettina is also doing the Union's work regarding PCpt. Carswell. Why do I feel like we have a leak somewhere?"

"Harumph!" growled Sheriff Griswold, his mustaches twitching most un-merrily. "This place leaks like a sieve sometime. But I thought the guys had stopped giving KXTC tips."

"For the most part, they have, sir." I said. "And Teresa is already ahead of the game on that."

"Some purpose behind it, Crowbar?" asked the Sheriff, who was thinking what I was thinking: there is always purpose and intent behind the Media's actions.

"Maybe, sir." I said. "We shall see... we shall see..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:30am, my personal cellphone rang. It was the Intendent, Mrs. Peabody. After asking how Molly was doing she said "I've heard some news. You know how Mayor Allgood has brought the hammer down on Executive Session meetings?"

"Yes." I said.

"There is a plan that Reginald B.F. Lewis and Kelly Carnes are going to try to implement tonight." Mrs. Peabody said. "They're going to call for an Executive Session, then Lewis is going to challenge the Mayor on speaking rights during the meeting. Carnes is going to join him in doing it, and they're hoping to be arrested so they can sue the Mayor and also go to Judge Nance to get an injunction against the Mayor so he can't shut them down at executive session nor public Council meetings."

"Hmmm, that's interesting." I said. "I think I owe you lunch sometime this week."

"Your bed or mine?" asked Mrs. Peabody.

"Yeah, The Cabin has been getting a lot of use, lately." I said. "We'll work something out."

"I'd prefer you work something thick and iron hard into me." said Mrs. Peabody, her voice full of lust, and her words stirring my loins...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sir," said Helena on the intercom at 10:15am, "Council Member Susan Weston is here to see you, without appointment." Helena did not like outsiders coming to see me without appointment.

"Send her in." I said. Helena did the formal thing in admitting Susan Weston.

"Come on in." I said. "Have a seat. Would you like some coffee, or water?"

"No, no thank you." said Susan Weston. I noticed that she did not sit down until I'd gotten back to my chair and sat down. She'd once been a Captain on the Town & County Police Force, and she still showed me that much respect.

"I haven't seen you in this Headquarters in a while." I said. "What can I do for you?"

"I thought it might be a good idea to come see you in person, Commander," said Weston, "and in a place we can talk in some degree of privacy."

"Sure." I said. "What's it about?"

"You probably know," said Weston, "that my political inclinations may not be in line with your own. I'm pretty firmly on the side of the Democrats, as you are on the Republicans's----"

"Oh, let me stop you right there." I said. "I am not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat, but I'm not a Republican, either. I find both Parties to be irritating to my harmony. But go ahead."

"I was going to say that even though we're not on the same side politically," said Weston, "I was once an Officer on this Police Force, and I still respect the Law and what you do."

I nodded and Susan continued: "One thing I don't like is some of the tactics Kelly Carnes and Reginald Lewis are using to create tension with Mayor Allgood. I don't think much of Allgood, either; I thought the decision was wrong to disallow those votes, but that was what it was. But what I really detest is his heavy-handed methods of running Council meetings, as if he thinks he's still Sheriff or something, and can just order us around."

"You're wanting me to say something to him?" I asked, mostly to get her to state her real reason for being here.

"No... well, that would be nice, but I don't think it'd work." said Susan. "But here's the problem: Carnes and Lewis are going to openly challenge the Mayor at the next private Council meeting... I should call it the 'executive session', but they're really Council meetings outside the public eye. They're going to try to get the Mayor to have them arrested, and then they will sue him, and they're already rigging it so they'll get an injunction."

"Once that happens," Weston said, "all hell is going to break loose. They're going to disrupt the public Council meetings, and Bettina and her rabid dogs are going to make as much hay of it when the Police arrest them. And then Lewis and Carnes are going to run roughshod in the private meetings. It's just going to be chaos, and I for one prefer to get things done instead of the crap."

"I agree with you on that." I said. "But the Mayor is currently within his rights to run the meetings that way. What do you want me to do about it?"

"I know you'll enforce the law," said Weston, "but I'm hoping you won't personally make the arrests in the private Council meeting like you did the last time." Seeing my look, she said "Look, I know you're not a racist, Commander, and what Lester 'Penis' Holder is saying about your daughter is inexcusable... but they are really looking to make the optics as bad as possible for you, and as racist as possible for Mayor Allgood. So I'm just giving you this private warning now, in the hopes you'll find a way to avoid getting splashed by the mud."

I nodded. "I appreciate you telling me this. I think I can be somewhere else during the executive session tonight." We both stood up, shook hands, and Susan made her goodbyes. Afterwards, I sat down and contemplated Susan Weston's real reasons for coming and telling me all that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I called Roy McGhillie into my office. "My apologies in advance for egregiously asking you to give your father a message, but he needs to know this..."

After Roy left, I called Joanne Warner into my office. "If you happen to talk to your friend Melina Allgood," I said, "you might want to mention this to her about a developing problem for her husband..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Marie and Carole were attending a summer aftercare program for gifted students at Eastside Elementary School. It wasn't school with tests and grades, but enhanced learning through fun activities. Marie got to do art, which she loved and for which she had a tremendous gift. Carole was pretty much getting an early start on second grade, but was liking the music classes, and wanted to learn more about how to play the piano. But I digress...

Professor Laura Fredricson called Professor Stephanie Steele. After discussions on picking up Carole and Marie after their classes, Laura mentioned some things that Stephanie's husband, Council Member Edward R. Steele, might want to know...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Tuesday, June 4th. The Council Chamber was being packed by young persons. Many were wearing red shirts with a person holding a pennant, the logo of the Antifa movement. Others were wearing green shirts with the logo of the Proactive Citizens of Greenworld, the Environmentalist group that demanded action on 'Climate Change'. And there were others, older men with hard faces, Black, White, and Hispanic, that looked eager to participate in personal combat.

The Deputies assigned to City Hall and to the Chamber were wearing armor and helmets, and there were a lot more TCPD Officers than normal, also well-armed-and-armored.

The Council Members filed into the chamber and took their seats in the front. Mayor Allgood, sitting in the middle, called the meeting to order. The first order of business, the 'reading' of the lawsuits filed against the County since the last meeting, was completed, with the lawsuits being turned over to the City Attorney to deal with.

"Any old business?" asked the Mayor.

"I move to bring to the floor the bill I introduced requiring three Police precincts." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. The audience began loudly cheering and applauding. The Mayor repeatedly gaveled for order, but the crowd remained boisterous and disruptive. The Mayor gave a signal, and Deputies and Police Officers began filing into the room in large numbers.

"Are you trying to suppress our voices?!" someone shouted.

"I will have order and civility in this chamber!" said the Mayor. "The motion on three Police precincts was tabled earlier. Does anyone who voted to table the motion wish to bring it back up?"

"NAY!" shouted Edward R. Steele. The others that had voted to table it also loudly said "NAY!"

"The motion is tabled and will not be brought back up." said Allgood. "New business?"

No one had any, so the Mayor said "We have requests to speak to the Council." He called the first name, who was a young black woman wearing a red 'Antifa' shirt.

"We DEMAND that you provide us three Police precincts!" the woman shouted. The crowd started cheering, then chanting. More Police came in, but that did not stop the orchestrated chanting.

And then suddenly... it went quiet. Walking in from a side entrance onto the floor in front of the podium and the barrier wall, wearing his sharply pressed Police uniform with armor under the shirt but none visible over it, was Your Iron Crowbar. And yes, I was tapping my namesake implement into my palm.

I went and took the microphone from the podium and said "Ladies and gentlemen, I know what you're thinking, and what you were paid to think... that if the Police act to restore order to this chamber, that if we take some of you to jail if you persist in your unlawful actions, the Media outside will chant 'Police brutality!" on the airwaves. You're thinking that if the optics look bad, we won't do our jobs and arrest you with whatever force is necessary."

"I have some news myself." I continued. "I don't give a damn about Bettina Wurtzburg and the deeply corrupt Media! We're going to do our jobs and maintain order here. And some of you look way too young to be getting felony criminal records and ten years in prison, but I promise you that is what is going to happen if you keep this crap up."

"So you can do one of three things." I finished up. "You can sit quietly and act with good manners and decorum; you can leave peacefully; or you can continue these antics that I know some of you were paid to do, and you can go to jail for ten years and have a felony record for your lifetimes. So... what's it going to be?"