A Dragon's Tale Ch. 09

Story Info
...But satisfaction brought her back.
16.5k words
4.82
32.5k
69

Part 9 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers

CHAPTER 9: ...But satisfaction brought her back

"I don't feel like it," Taloni replied while trying to shoo Pralya out of her shack, but she wasn't going easily. She slipped around the Fey and into the room, standing there with her hands on her hips.

"Come on, it'll be fun," Prayla said in her annoying sing-song voice. "You've been moping all afternoon and some fun will do you some good."

"I don't feel like dancing," Taloni countered. Outside, night was fast approaching and she could hear the miners preparing for what was sure to be a marvelous party.

"Since when has a Fey not felt like dancing?" Prayla said, then she cocked her head to the side. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing,"

"Dragon shit," Prayla replied. "You've been moping since that cave-in this afternoon. It's not like anybody died - mostly thanks to your healing magic - so what gives?"

Taloni opened her mouth, then shook her head and flopped down on the makeshift roll of blankets that she used for a bed. The cave-in earlier hadn't been bad, but it was bad enough that a lot of men needed patching up. She checked her mana levels for the dozenth time and - sure enough - she was basically depleted.

She wouldn't have any mana for the dragon.

Prayla's body language softened, and she came over, sat next to Taloni and put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Prayla asked. "I promise I won't tell a soul."

"You'll think it's stupid."

"Maybe, but I promise I won't laugh,"

"I'm worried about-" she just couldn't bear to say it. She looked wistfully out the doorway.

"You're not still thinking about that dragon are you?" Prayla asked. Surprisingly, there was no hint of derision in her voice.

"He's dying, and because of the cave-in there's nothing I can do about it," Taloni replied. "I'm out of mana and don't have any to give him."

"What do you mean?" Prayla asked, so Taloni explained about the dragon giving up its gold and slowly running out of mana.

"You shared your mana with a dragon?" Prayla asked when she had finished.

"Not deep mana," the Fey said a little defensively. "Just regular mana because he was dying; he is dying."

Prayla gave her an odd look. "I know I teased you about boning the dragon, but you actually care for it don't you?"

"Him," Taloni corrected.

"Huh?"

"He's not an 'it'; he's a he," Taloni said. "And he tried to protect me from Thaltien's men even though he was exhausted, tired, and he'd just met me. Nobody's ever done that before."

"Huh..." Prayla said slowly as she put on her 'thinking face'. "Now that you mention it, he did almost seem protective."

"Yeah," I didn't know dragons could be like that."

"You're sure it wasn't an act?"

Taloni gave her a look.

"Okay, I was just checking," Prayla said. "I wish I could help Tee, I really do. But I don't know anything about magic or mana. For that matter, I barely know anything about dragons."

"It's okay," Taloni replied. "I just wish I could help him."

"Yeah, but I don't see how you could. It's not like you'd share your deep mana with him right?"

Taloni didn't answer.

"Right?" Prayla said again, this time a little more insistent.

"Of course I wouldn't," Taloni said. "I mean, who ever heard of a Fey sharing deep mana with a dragon? It's preposterous."

Prayla narrowed her eyes. "Your words say one thing but your tone and body language says something else. You're not seriously considering that are you?"

"I don't know," the Fey said honestly. Before Prayla had said something, she hadn't even considered it. Sharing your deep mana was profoundly intimate. The last thing she wanted was to bond with a dragon, assuming dragons could bond of course.

"But isn't it dangerous?" Prayla's eyes widened.

"I know where my limits are; I could give him some and I'd be fine," Taloni said. "I mean, it wouldn't help anyway. It might buy him a few hours at most."

"But you're only eighteen," Prayla said. "I'm all for you getting some action between the sheets, but isn't sharing deep mana like marriage among the Fey?

Taloni nodded.

"You'd get married and promise to only sleep with one man your entire life? At your age?" Prayla seemed incredulous.

"I don't want to marry him, just keep him alive," Taloni said, but she could tell Prayla wasn't convinced.

"He's really that good of a dragon?" her friend asked.

Taloni bit her lip and nodded.

Would she be willing to bond with the dragon? In her short life, she'd never met anyone like him. Certainly if she had to pick anyone to bond with out of all the people she knew, she would pick him.

"Then you should at least say goodbye," Prayla said. "I mean you said he's dying and might not live until morning right?"

Taloni nodded.

"Then you should say good bye," Prayla said firmly, and her voice shook a little. "Trust me, you'll kick yourself and regret it for the rest of your life if you don't."

"How do you know?"

"I just know okay?" Prayla said. There was a slight sadness in her voice that Taloni had never heard from her before. She was usually boisterous and flighty, and this seemed like a rare moment of seriousness.

"What happened?" Taloni asked.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it," Prayla said dismissively, if not convincingly. "Just trust me, make sure you say goodbye or you'll regret it."

"Okay," she nodded.

They got up and left the shack. It took some doing to avoid the guards because of the nearly full moon. However they spent most of their time searching the skies for dragons, not the ground for young women. They made it out into the forest without being seen and walked in silence for several minutes.

Taloni was wracking her brain trying to figure out what she could do to help the dragon. Everything she thought of was a temporary measure at best, and that list consisted of only one item: Giving the dragon some of her deep mana. She didn't think he would burn through as quickly as regular mana, so it might buy him a fair bit of time.

But not enough.

A few minutes later, they reached the top of the rise before the dragon's ravine. When they arrived, Prayla stopped near the boulder they'd hid behind the first time they'd seen him.

"I'll wait here," Prayla said.

"Coward." Taloni chuckled.

"No, I just thought you'd like a moment," Pralya replied, though she was far from convincing.

Taloni nodded, then started toward the dragon. The light of the full moon illuminated the whole ravine as she climbed down the shallow sides. The dragon was still laying there and his breathing was even more labored than the previous night. He was out cold. Taloni put her hand on the dragon's scales checked his health.

It wasn't good.

His mana was completely gone and his deep mana was significantly depleted. Not enough to be dangerous yet, but definitely lower than was healthy. She was pleased to see her original guess was off and he'd live longer than she thought. He certainly wouldn't survive until the next evening though.

Taloni did a few mental calculations. If she gave him a little of her deep mana he would probably live until the next evening. If she spent the next day collecting mana and nothing happened at the mine, she could keep him alive a little longer.

She didn't know what to do.

She certainly could help him. It wouldn't take much deep mana to keep him alive for a little longer. If she was honest with herself, she loved the idea of giving him a little of her deep mana. He was so nice and caring with her, and it just made her heart melt.

Taloni looked over her shoulder.

Prayla was peeking out from the boulder. She must have seen something on the Fey's face by the light of the moon because she suddenly looked concerned.

"Let's go," Prayla mouthed.

"He's out cold," Taloni replied loud enough for her to hear. "And he won't wake up any time soon."

Prayla hesitated for several moments then slowly made her way down the ravine. "Don't do it," She said when she was closer, though she was still a good ten feet from the dragon.

"Do what?" Taloni asked.

"You're here to say goodbye and that's all, remember?" Prayla said. "Don't give him your deep mana, not to a dragon."

"But he's not just a dragon," Taloni countered. "He's a good dragon, and he'll die if I don't help him."

Prayla looked apprehensive. "But would you give one of the miners your deep mana to save them?"

Taloni let her shoulders drop and shook her head.

"Then why would you help a dragon?"

"Because..." Taloni hesitated. "Because he's just... I don't know, there's something about that's just... I can tell he's good. I haven't met any truly good men and I don't want to lose this one."

"You do know he's a dragon right? Not a man?"

Taloni nodded, then put her hand on the dragon again. She wasn't sure when she decided to give him some of her deep mana, but she knew she had. She closed her eyes and gently pushed a measured amount of her deep mana out of her body and into the dragon.

The instant Taloni's deep mana touched the dragon, he welcomed it with open arms. His body seemed to rejoice and welcomed her mana. It flowed into him like water flowing into and filling cup. There was no resistance of any kind and no barrier. He accepted it completely without reservation.

Taloni felt her heart soar.

Something about the way he welcomed it seemed to be a complete acceptance of her; not just her mana, but her too. Then, just as she stopped the flow of mana, she felt something else.

His deep mana.

The dragon had taken a small portion of his already depleted deep mana and was pushing it toward her. It brushed up against her hand, but she didn't let it in. She couldn't. She was only eighteen, she had her whole life ahead. She couldn't let herself bond.

She just couldn't.

And yet...

There was something wild about his deep mana that she could feel when gently brushed up against her hand. It was at once powerful and primal, yet also kind and tender. It was full of deep love and joy, yet also profound sadness and loss. It had amazing strength; yet also profound weakness. It was wild and powerfully primal, but also had an air of sophistication and grace.

It was a paradox; like 'hot ice' or 'bright darkness'.

She found the combination fascinating, almost captivating.

Her curious Fey nature wondered what it would feel like to accept that mana; to be joined completely to this powerfully primal force of nature with a good heart. The idea was intoxicating. She felt almost light-headed. She resolved to remove her hand, but it didn't want to listen.

What if...

"Curiosity killed the Fey," She reminded herself silently, and yet...

And yet...

Her instincts and curiosity were united in one direction; her will pulled her in quite another. She felt he was a good man - or dragon - and she felt like bonding to him would be wonderful. Her cautious brain urged restraint and caution. But she was a Fey. When her curiosity and instincts were united, her willpower was no match.

Curiosity won.

She stopped resisting and let the dragon's deep mana flow inter her. It was the most wonderful thing she had ever experienced.

No exceptions.

Taloni felt their deep mana touch, and then meld together into one. She couldn't explain it, but it was like they were no longer two different people but rather two parts of a single person. It was profoundly intimate, intensely loving, and too wonderful for words.

The instant she accepted his mana, it was like his entire soul was laid bare before her. For a brief instant - not even a second - she could see his entire being laid out before her, just like she imagined a bird could see the layout of a city. She could see all the crisscrossing pathways and complexities that made the dragon who he was. She could see the shining thoroughfares he was proud of, along with the dark alleys he was ashamed of.

She could see the totality of his being and he was amazing. Buried underneath The scaly hide and obvious sadness - which seemed to be caused by a dark cloud over his thoughts - he was an amazing person. He cared deeply about people and beat himself up whenever he hurt someone. He wanted nothing more than to make the world a better place.

That was the moment Taloni fell in love.

She saw who Ethan really was at his core and her only choice was to fall truly and deeply in love with him. He was such a good man; so noble, so brave, so selfless. She admired and respected him more than she could've ever put into words.

Then the moment ended.

Taloni was left with a vague impression of Ethan; of what she'd seen in his soul. But it was enough. Her heart swelled and she released an unconscious sigh.

Then something happened she didn't expect at all. She felt an intense desire to be closer to Ethan. She wanted to be joined with him as fully and completely as possible. She felt blood rush to her loins. She moaned softly as an unfamiliar - but very pleasurable - sensation washed over her brain and senses.

She was a Fey, and she knew Fey never fully felt attraction or arousal until they'd bonded, but she was completely unprepared for the magnitude of the feelings. She'd barely felt a twinge before, and then only when Prayla had explained a few of the finer details of... of doing 'it' with a man. For the first time, the idea held great appeal for her. She luxuriated in the thought for several seconds.

"Tee, are you okay?" Prayla whispered.

"Hmm, what?" Taloni shook her head as she came out of her reverie.

"You looked kingdoms away for a moment," Prayla said.

"Only a moment?" Taloni asked. It had felt like nearly a lifetime. She was tired, which she assumed was a side effect of giving away some of her deep mana. Otherwise she felt fine though.

"Yeah," Prayla replied. "I'm just saying, I wouldn't share your deep mana with a dragon. Even if he's a good dragon, you haven't know him long enough."

Taloni smiled as the memory of Ethan's soul being bared to her came to mind. "I know him well enough."

"You..." Prayla stared intently at Taloni for a moment. "You did it, didn't you?" You gave him some of you deep mana?"

Taloni nodded with a huge smile. "And he returned the favor. I can't describe how wonderful it was."

Prayla covered her mouth with her hand. "I'm so sorry Tee, I shouldn't have brought you out here."

"No, it's okay. Really,"

"It's not," Prayla looked at her like she was an alien from another world. Her eyes looked like they were getting watery. "I'm have to go."

Prayla looked at Taloni for a few moments, then hung her head and began to half-run, half-climb up the shallow sides of the ravine. The Fey watched her go but didn't know what to say. She almost went after her, but felt very tired. It had been a long day and after giving some of her deep mana, she was exhausted.

She put her hand on Ethan's scales again. She didn't get the same rush or look into his soul, but she liked it. She thought about following Prayla back to the camp, but she just wanted to sleep.

She yawned, leaned up against Ethan, and rested her head on his scales. It was surprisingly comfortable. She decided to rest there for a little bit before going back to the mining camp. That was her last thought before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep.

* * *

Alana climbed down the Argo's long rope ladder to the ground, then stepped out of the way so Rachel could get off too. They had climbed down into a clearing in the forest near to one of the larger streams in the area. The early morning sun was shining and gave the entire glade a peaceful luminesces. She ran her hands through her chocolate brown hair and sighed.

"What?" Rachel asked. Her red hair gradually faded to blond at the tips, and with the way it caught the early morning sunrise and the breeze, it looked even more like flame than usual.

"You're head's on fire," Alana smiled.

Rachel laughed and struck a sexy pose. "Well, I need to stay hot somehow."

Alana chuckled and Rachel said. "That's the first time I've heard you laugh in days."

"Yeah, it feels good," Alana replied then nodded her head toward the river they'd seen from the Argo. "Come on; let's see if the third time is a charm."

Rachel nodded and they set off into the forest. The wood elf relaxed a little with all the greenery and vegetation. She just felt so much better when she was surrounded by nature and green trees.

"So what will you do when we find Ethan?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know," Alana said. "Slap him? Hug him? Maybe both?"

It was Rachel's turn to chuckle. "Sounds about right," she seemed to hesitate for a moment, then continued. "So, what about after all this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've been thinking about endgames lately," Rachel said. "Let's say we defeat my father and the Black Dragon. What's next? I mean, assuming we live through it, there'll be a life on the other side. What do you want your life to be like after this is finished?"

"That's a really good question," the wood elf admitted. If she was honest with herself, she didn't have a clue. "What about you? What's your endgame?"

The redhead sighed. "I'm not sure either."

"Oh?"

"Well, there are things I'd like to do," Rachel said. "I've always loved magic. I've been drawn to it since I was a little girl. What's more, I think I'm good at it. I never got any formal training, almost everything I know about magic is self-taught."

Alana stopped and looked at her. "Really? I remember dodging a few of your fireballs. You're pretty darn good with those spells of yours."

"Practice," Rachel shrugged. "I pestered the mage at our castle until he would teach me some of the basics. But when my father - Lord Delmar - found out, he forbade the mage to teach me anymore."

"Why?" Alana asked.

"He said it wasn't proper," Rachel replied. "He wanted me to be a lady and worried that my learning magic would put me in danger. Ironically, he wasn't wrong. Even more ironically, it was him that put me in danger."

Alana nodded, and they started walking again. "He doesn't sound like his reputation, your father I mean."

"Yeah, I know," Rachel replied. "Growing up was confusing. On one hand, he was always kind and tender to me; but on the other he was ruthless to anyone else. It was almost like growing up with two completely different fathers."

Alana noticed that Rachel was unconsciously feeling the finger on which her will-breaker ring had been worn.

"You think there's a reason for that?" she asked.

"Maybe," Rachel replied evasively. "But if there is, it almost doesn't matter. Any affection he had for me is long gone."

"I'm sorry."

"Me too"

They walked for several more minutes in silence. Alana really wanted to say something to help, but didn't know what. She had a really hard time imagining what Rachel was going through. She thought back to her childhood and realized she could count on one hand the number of times her father had lost his temper. He wore a smile most of the time and always called her his little princess.

"You never said what you wanted when this is all over," Rachel said after a few minutes.

Alana thought for a few moments before answering. She thought back to Ethan's description of the orphanage the day after they'd met. She loved the light in his eyes when he talked about the children and could see it made him so happy. It had stirred something within her she didn't realize she had.

Finally, she spoke. "I know it sounds cliché, but I want to have a family and raise some children."

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with that," Rachel said with conviction, then added in a cautious tone. "Any ideas about the father?"

"I wish. I don't really want to raise a clutch of dragons you know."

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers