A Dragon's Tale Ch. 11

Story Info
A Deadly Engagement and Long-Awaited Wedding.
17.9k words
4.86
30.3k
77

Part 11 of the 57 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 07/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers

***Please notice the title before you get too upset at Alana's (initial) answer, and enjoy! I've been excited to write/publish this chapter from day one. ^_^ ***

* * *

CHAPTER 11: A Deadly Engagement and Long-Awaited Wedding

Ethan took a deep breath. "Alana Tarihowen, will join your soul with mine as the strands of this braid are joined? Will you marry me?"

For a few glorious seconds, the look on Alana's face was pure, unadulterated bliss. She reached out and touched the braid with the tips of her finger and she looked like the happiest woman in the entire world...

But only for a few seconds.

Then her face fell.

She retracted her hand slowly as she met his eyes. Her eyes and their bond were filled with both longing and sadness; yearning and sorrow. She bit her lip and took a long, slow, trembling breath. Then with more hesitation and reluctance than he'd heard in his entire life, she uttered a single word:

"No."

* * *

It was just before sundown as Kendra bowed low in respect before entering through one of the large double doors that led into Illuminar's grand cathedral. The sheer size and scope was incredible. Its highest was point hundreds of feet tall, and that was just on the inside. Even the lobby's ceiling towered 100 feet over her head.

It looked like a seven pointed star when seen from above, and the points of the star were nearly 200 yards in diameter. At night, a massive bonfire was lit on each point to illustrate how Illuminar's light shone through even the deepest darkness.

Every inch of the temple was made from the most expensive marble in the ten kingdoms. The only things not made from solid gold were the items made from silver. The walls were adored with majestic stained glass windows, magnificent tapestries, and opulent paintings. The size and grandeur were designed to impress Illuminar's majestic and supremely powerful nature into all visitors.

It worked.

There was barely a whisper in the lobby, though over a hundred people were scattered throughout the space. Everyone spoke in hushed and reverent tones that barely carried to their intended recipient

Kendra walked through the lobby and down a hallway so grand it would put most palaces to shame. The hallway led into the main sanctuary, which was arranged in a huge circle. Up above, a massive circular stained glass portrait of Illuminar looked down through the domed ceiling.

She smiled at the thought of Him watching down on her. If He was half as wonderful as she thought -- as everyone said -- then He would be with her on her quest. She looked around the edge of the rooms until she saw a lantern hanging above a confession room. She entered and sat down on the marble bench inside the tiny room.

"Bless me father, for I have strayed from the light. It has been... many days since my last confession."

"Tell me my child," A voice came through the thin fabric screen.

"I have killed many men in the service of the Emperor, long may he reign."

"Long may he reign," The priest echoed.

"I have harbored anger and bitterness in my heart for--" She stopped as she heard the sound of movement from the other side of the fabric. There was the sound of whispering, then receding footsteps, then silence.

"Hello Kendra." A familiar elderly voice came through the fabric screen.

"Luminar Kossel." She grimaced and then added with no humor. "Strange coincidence meeting you here."

"There are no coincidences where Illuminar is concerned. I was in my prayers this morning when Illuminar told me to keep watch for a soul who has lost her way, for she would visit us here this evening."

"Uh-huh." Kendra tried unsuccessfully to keep the skepticism out of her voice.

"My child, must we continue this dance every time?"

"Only until you explain how you always know I'm coming. I hadn't decided myself until an hour ago."

"I answered that question before you asked."

Kendra leaned back on the stone bench and exhaled heavily. "I'm sorry; I just have trouble believing Illuminar cares enough to send an angel to tell you I'm coming."

"If Illuminar doesn't care enough to help His servants, then why would you come to seek His blessing?"

Kendra sighed; how did he always know? She checked her mental defenses and only after confirming they were as strong as ever did she reply. "How did you know?"

"Illuminar."

She dismissed that explanation out of hand. "You must be the most cunning and skilled telepath in the ten kingdoms to read my mind like that."

"My child, may we skip our usual dance just this once. I'm not getting any younger you know."

"You're also not getting less cryptic," Kendra retorted.

"Privilege of the elderly," Luminar Kossel said with a chuckle. "We talk and the young must listen because to do otherwise would be impolite. Now, what can I do for you my dear?"

"I was hoping for..." She sighed again. "For a blessing."

"Oh?"

"Didn't Illuminar tell you all this?"

He chuckled again. "My dear, He doesn't work that way. To tell us everything would rob us of the joys of discovery. Now, what would you like this blessing for?"

"I'm going hunting again," she fingered her dragon tooth necklace.

"Ah, let me guess; a steel grey dragon and his wood elf companion."

"I thought Illuminar didn't tell you everything?"

There amusement in Luminar Kossel's voice as he responded. "He doesn't; I keep up with the news and have a little common sense. So why ask for the blessing now?"

"I've been out of the game for a couple years now, and a little extra help would be good."

"In all that time, have you formed a single human connection?" Luminar Kossel asked. "Have you done anything but hide in dingy taverns, eavesdropping for the latest news without ever interacting with anyone unless forced?"

Kendra opened her mouth to respond, but no reply came to her. How did he do that? How did he always know?

"I thought so," he said. "Do you know Saidow's favorite trick for entrapping unsuspecting souls?"

"I know you're about to tell me."

"The Book of Light says, 'pity the man who falls with no one to help him up'."

"Fortunately, I'm not a man."

He ignored her comment. "Loneliness has a way of eroding the soul. Get thee some friends Kendra; life is better when shared."

"I know." Kendra let herself slouch on the stone bench ran her hands through her jet black hair. At her mentor's insistence, she never fully trusted anyone, even Falkaan himself. The only exception to that rule had been taken from her by... She touched the largest dragon tooth on necklace again. She missed having someone she could fully trust.

"I understand what you're saying and even agree. I just don't know where I could find someone like that. My former occupation doesn't lend itself to trusting anyone."

"Then you're in luck," he said. "Illuminar has a message for you."

"I know, walk the path of light and don't stray into the darkness."

"That too; but this is a more personal message, meant specifically for you."

"Oh?"

"Illuminar told me to tell you something." Luminar Kossel said. "He said that one day soon, someone will save your life. In fact, they will kill you once and then save your life twice."

"Wait, what?" Kendra frowned. "How does that make sense? They're going to kill me, then save my life twice?"

"My dear, I'm merely relaying the message," Luminar Kossel said. "Illuminar also says that the one who kills you and then saves your life twice will be someone you wouldn't expect. He wanted you to know that this person -- whoever they are -- is worthy of your unconditional trust. They will be a true and trustworthy friend no matter what happens."

Kendra blinked several times and realized her mouth was hanging open.

"I don't believe it." She said simply. "In what world would the great God Illuminar Have a personal message for me? Doesn't He have bigger problems and more important people to take care of?"

"That's a matter of perspective," Illuminar Kossel replied. "The greatest things in the world are often created from the ordinary lives of ordinary people; it's from there that great changes are wrought. Besides, He's big enough to care about everyone without neglecting world events."

She shook her head. "If He cared so much about us, then He wouldn't have let the world go to shit."

"Or maybe the fact that the world has 'gone to shit' proves He does love us."

Kendra snorted derisively. "In what universe does that make sense?"

"Again, perspective my dear," he said calmly. "Assume for a moment that Illuminar is exactly as powerful as we believe Him to be. Couldn't He stop all the pain and suffering with a snap of His fingers?"

"That's my point."

"Yes, but at what cost?" he countered.

"I don't follow."

"It's as if Illuminar -- by virtue of His great power -- had a will-breaker ring on every creature in the world. He could use that control to prevent every evil deed from ever happening... but what would that make Him?"

"A tyrant; will-breaker rings are banned for a reason."

"Ah, that's the rub," Illuminar Kossel said. "If He allows people to use their free will for nefarious deeds, we curse Him for allowing evil. If He prevents the evil by limiting our free will, we curse Him for being a tyrant."

Kendra rolled her eyes. Same old Kossel; always preaching. "Yeah, I don't see it that way."

"Few people do," Luminar Kossel said kindly. "But back to the matter at hand, Illuminar does care about you. And He did have someone deliver a message directly to you because He cares."

"I would love to believe that." Kendra said with complete honesty. The idea that a benevolent, all-powerful being was watching out for her personally and cared for her personally was wonderful if she could realistically believe it, she would have.

He continued. "When this person -- someone you wouldn't expect -- saves your life, just remember this: they are your best chance in this life for true friendship and someone you can trust implicitly."

"Truly?" She asked, though she didn't believe it was possible. It just seemed too good to be true.

"Truly," he said, but then his voice grew serious. "But He also gave a warning with the message. If you squander this chance, you may not get another. Don't waste it."

* * *

If Beth felt like walking to Ethan's ravine in the forest had taken a long time, it felt like walking back to Arcanum took even longer. She had initially enjoyed the hues of purple that made up the Astral Plane. Now -- after over a week there -- she never wanted to see that color again.

During the long walk, she'd occasionally removed Aharown from its scabbard -- which was now secured to her belt -- and swung the blade around experimentally. It felt natural in her hands, like the hilt had been made for her, yet it felt almost unnatural to swing it; like it wasn't meant for her. It hadn't felt that way when she'd cut the dark halo off Ethan's head. But now, it just didn't feel right in her hands.

"It knows," Gabriella observed.

"What?"

"Aharown knows that it has served its purpose in your hands, and it's awaiting its new master. That's why it doesn't feel quite right in your hands anymore. I felt the same after I used it to cut you free from the tendril."

"That makes sense in a strange kind of way," Beth said as she returned Aharown to its scabbard. "Who is the new master?"

Gabriella looked back at her and raised an eyebrow.

"Right, you can't tell me." Beth sighed; why was she so cryptic all the time? It was very frustrating.

As sunset drew near, Gabriella led her to one of the tall spires that dominated the center of Arcanum. She entered one particular spire which was heavily guarded at the bottom by over a dozen soldiers and half as many mages. Gabriella led her through the massive steel-reinforced oak door and up a long spiral staircase.

They went up a veritable mountain of steps. Every so often, they would reach a small landing, each one with several more guards. Finally, they reached the top and walked through a wooden door.

Her Jaw dropped.

They were in a library, but not just any library. The room was very large, nearly as large as the audience room in her father's estate. Every inch of the walls was covered with book shelves. The fading like of dusk through the windows above plus a few ornate chandeliers were enough light to read.

The shelves were filled with dusty old tomes bound with thick leather covers. Most of them were very large and the room had an ancient feeling to it. Something about the books seemed to scream 'ancient, mystical power'. It was like stepping into a room where some great force lay dormant, merely waiting to be called upon.

"Where are we?" Beth whispered.

"The Arch-Mage's library."

Beth's mouth fell open again. The blonde teenager looked around the room in awe. She'd heard stories about this library. It was supposed to contain books with the most powerful spells and enchantments in the Ten Kingdoms. It was said that anyone other than an Arch-Mage would have to pay a king's ransom to spend even an hour in this room.

To be here now...

She wanted to read everything. She was extremely well versed in magical theory, having read everything she could find on the subject. However, she was extremely short on practical application and couldn't do much more than move her mana around. But the theory, the knowledge; it was like...

Like...

There were no words.

She deeply wished that she could be in her body again so she could smell the books. The smell of a good book was one of her favorite things in the world. Unfortunately, she was dead and without a body right now.

"Yes, but not for long." Gabriella answered her thoughts.

"Oh?"

"You'll see." The luminous woman smiled. "For now, there's something my Lord would like you to read."

Beth's face split into a wide smile. "What?"

She led the teen over to a solid table that had a single book laying open. Beth looked at it, and it seemed to be describing what the Astral Plane looks like when astral projecting. It seemed clear to Beth that the writer had only heard of the astral plane, and had never actually visited it.

Near the end of the page, it read this.

"Of the many skills that a mage of our kind doth learn, it behooves for them to master this one. For verily, it doth become a truly powerful skill for a mage who's possessed of its learning. The manner of commencing the feat of astral projecting is thus. First, you must entirely--"

That's where the page ended.

Beth looked at Gabriella. "I can't read the rest."

"Of course you can dear, you just need to turn the page."

"But I can't. My hand goes right through anything I try to touch."

Gabriella reached down and gently pushed the book so that it slid an inch on the table. "You can do the same, it merely takes concentration and practice."

"But how?" Beth asked, then rolled her eyes. "Wait, let me guess; you won't tell me?"

"So certain are you?"

"Will you?"

Gabriella chuckled. "You'll never know unless you ask."

"Will you please tell me how to turn the page?" Beth asked politely.

Gabriella bowed. "Absolutely, I would be delighted to."

"Really?'

"I do like helping people you know." She nodded. "Now, the trick is willpower and concentration. You need to concentrate on the idea of making your fingers solid. The more of yourself you try to make solid at one time, the harder it will be. Best to start small with only one finger.

"Okay. I can do that. What next?"

"That's it." Gabriella smiled. "It's that simple. Now you just need to practice, which you can do now. I need to leave until morning anyway."

"You're leaving?"

She nodded. "I also have two assignments to complete, but I will be back tomorrow morning."

"Okay, and you're sure I can do this?"

"Absolutely positive." Gabriella smiled. "And my Lord promises that learning this skill will allow you to save Ethan's life several times over the next several days."

"Really?" Beth cocked her head to one side. "Being able to turn a page?"

She nodded. "Now, I must depart. I need to bump someone's elbow and deliver a message before dawn."

"Bump someone's elbow?"

Gabriella nodded with a twinkle in her eye, then turned and walked out of the room.

Beth sighed then turned back to the book. She poked it with her finger, which predictably passed right through it.

"Willpower and concentration huh?" The blonde teen mused to herself. That didn't sound too hard. If all she had to do was concentrate on making her finger solid, she didn't think it would take long.

She stared at her finger for a moment, trying to think only about it being solid, then poked the book again. There was the briefest, fleeting moment where her finger felt solid, then it passed right through the book.

She frowned.

She took another few moments to clear her mind, then stared at her finger willing it to be as solid as marble. Then she reached out and tried to move the paper again. This time, she didn't even feel the book's resistance as her finger passed right through it.

She tried again, this time concentrating with all her might the entire time. The page wiggled slightly before her she was momentarily distracted by the words on the page, after which her finger passed right through it. It seemed the trick was maintaining full concentration the entire time.

She sighed.

This could take a while.

* * *

"No?" Ethan repeated Alana's answer to his proposal. "I thought..."

"You thought right, I just..." Alana's eyes appeared to be watery. "I'm sorry, but we can't. Not right now. I want to but..."

He stood up, and she opened her mouth to speak, then closed it and turned away toward the sunset. She leaned against the ship's railing and stared at the beautiful colors. Unsure what to do, he waited several seconds and then joined her.

"It wasn't supposed to happen this way," she said, still not looking at him. Her hair hung at just the right angle so he couldn't see her face. "I was supposed to meet a nice elven man, fall in love, then we'd be bonded, have lots of children and live happily ever after. That's what happens in all the stories."

"Of course, those stories can get pretty hairy in the middle."

"True." She said, then silence fell for several moments.

"Why?" he finally asked.

She finally turned her face toward him. She wasn't crying, but the corners of her eyes looked moist. "Lord Borden. You have so many enemies already, and if he finds out you married me a week after Beth died..."

"Oh." He had completely forgotten about Beth's father. "I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, that could look... that could be bad."

"It just occurred to me when you--" She smiled; it was a pained smile, but genuine. "--when you asked me to marry you." She opened her arms for a hug, which he gladly gave.

He held her for a minute, then they parted and both turned toward the sunset. They watched with his arm around her waist until the sun had sunk beneath the horizon. The sky slowly turned from a mosaic of red and orange to the somber grey-blue of twilight.

They didn't speak.

There was nothing to be said.

Ethan felt like he was Charlie Brown, life was Lucy, and Alana was the football; every time he'd get close to her, life snatched her away. He pounded his fist into the railing, which startled her.

The look on her face was at once heartbreaking because of its sadness, yet encouraging because she truly understood how he felt. He glanced at their bond and discovered... something else under the emotions he expected.

"Lord Borden isn't the only reason, is it?" he asked.

Alana glanced around the Argo, and then replied telepathically. *Not really.*

Antiproton
Antiproton
2,471 Followers