A Dragon's Tale Ch. 32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you Mister Serif." Anthiel said and then turned to master. "Apparently our sails are inoperable captain, we will have to delay departure."

"A lie?" Selene said in a slightly strange accent as she raised an eyebrow.

Master grinned widely and responded in a different strange accent. "An error."

And then the two of them chuckled.

The Fey teen was completely lost and assumed it must be an Earth thing; probably from one of those 'movies' that he kept mentioning.

"That still doesn't solve the issue of getting us all to Gralden." Master pointed out. "I amnot leaving anyone behind."

"Kendra master; I'm sure she'd be willing to help."

He shook his head. "We can't even contact her. She's got her mental fortress locked up tight and there's no way to get a message to her."

"Elder Goman could." Rachel suggested. "We could send him a letter through the portal stone, and ask him to contact Kendra at Graflex's shop to ask her to meet us near Gralden."

"That might work." Master tapped a clawed foot on the weather deck as he appeared to consider. "It's the best plan we have anyways, and I guess we'll just have to hope that she's in a helping mood. Okay, let's get a letter written."

* * *

Kendra smiled as she looked around at Alana, Beth, Taloni, Rachel, Selene, and some other girl that she didn't know, recognize, nor even really see. She was sort of a vague impression of a person that she didn't know. The dragon huntress herself was sitting next to Ethan. He had his arm around her in an affectionate way as they all ate breakfast while the Argo sailed through the clear blue skies.

It was heavenly.

No, it was beyond heavenly.

They were chatting about... about... she wasn't really sure, but it was wonderful. They were basically talking about nothing at all, or at least nothing that mattered.

Except that itdid matter.

It mattered a lot.

It mattered more than anything else ever. That enormous hole in her heart wasn't as deep or dark. It was filling, and filling quickly. She could even see the bottom and she got the impression that hole had been filling for quite a while. Before long, it might actually be completely filled.

Gone completely.

She sighed and snuggled deeper into Ethan's side.

* * *

"No... no not yet." Kendra whispered as the dream faded and she began to wake with the morning sun.

Several seconds later, her stomach caught up with her dream and she nearly lost the previous night's dinner over the side of her canoe-sized airship. She shuddered at the merethought of touching a dragon like that.

And yet...

She sighed; that was the problem: 'and yet'.

She had a few days left until she reached Arcanum, 'and yet' she almost wished that she was already returning to Ethan. She hated dragons with all her heart, 'and yet' Ethan seemed to be a good one. She wanted so desperately to be rid of him, 'and yet' she would've given anything to be there at the breakfast fire as in the dream.

She sighed.

Ethan had said she was welcome to visit the Argo, and she did know a lot about hunting dragons and they were facing one. Perhaps... She frowned and shook her head. Ethan would never want her on the Argo; not long term. Not after what she'd done. Although, Taloni would advocate for her, and the Fey was so sweet that she was sure she could convince him...

If Kendra actually wanted that.

She thought back to that breakfast on the morning she'd left. She couldn't remember being that happy since... since... She got slightly choked up as she realized it might've been before her parents had died. In fact, as she thought about it, her only real objection was being bonded to Ethan. It felt amazing to be on the Argo, surrounded by genuinely lovely people who treated her well despite what she'd done to them.

Plus, as much as she hated to admit it, running an errand for Ethan wouldn't make them square. She still owed him. Rachel had said that sticking around him would give her plenty of chances to wipe out the red in her ledger. She didn't have to sleep with him, or even touch him. She could help him in other ways. It wasn't like she had a choice anyway. Death was the only way out of a bond and there was no coming back from...

From...

Hmm.

With Ethan around, death wasn't as final because he had brought her back from the dead before. And she knew from Beth's part of Ethan's story that death would break a bond. If she could convince him to strike her with lightning again so she would die, and then bring her back, that could break their bond.

She gasped.

That could work!

If she could break their bond, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad; maybe being around him wouldn't be so bad. Then maybe she could stay on the Argo, 'and yet' not be bonded to Ethan.

That could be the best 'and yet' of all.

* * *

Beth yawned as she woke and moved to stretch--

"Ahh!" She cried out as she nearly toppled off the bed. She tried to catch herself on the nearest thing she could grab... which unfortunately happened to be someone's hair. Rachel just about screamed as Beth tumbled to the floor, smacking her head on the bedframe as she fell.

Before she hit the ground, Ethan was up and his war hammer was flying towards his hand. His dragon side was on full display and he had a wild protective look as he whipped his head side-to-side searching for the threat. It took him a moment to realize that there wasn't one; only then did he relax a bit.

"Ow." Beth said as she rubbed her backside and her head.

She looked at the bed and saw that Rachel had somehow moved from Ethan's left side to his right side during the night. That normally wouldn't be a problem, but she'd landed in between Alana -- who Ethan had been holding -- and Beth, pushing the blonde to the edge of the bed.

"Rachel, what the hell!" Beth said to the redhead, who'd pulled the sheet up to cover herself.

Everyone stared at Beth.

"What?"

"You just said 'hell'; I must be rubbing off on you." Ethan chuckled. "Do you even know what it is?"

She put a hand on her head, where she could just feel a slight bruise forming. "No, but I know it's bad and probably reserved for redheads who push their fellow wives off the bed."

"I'm sorry." Rachel winced looking really sorry and she clutched the sheets tighter around herself. "Please forgive me."

Beth fumed at her for a moment before she realized it had probably just been a mistake. A painful mistake, but it wasn't on purpose. "I forgive you." She mumbled as her sleep addled brain contended with the throbbing headache that had formed.

"Here, let me help." Taloni said, her wings becoming a blur as she lifted herself off the far side of the bed to land next to the blonde. A minute later, the headache was nearly gone as the Fey healed her.

"Thank you." Beth hugged Tee, but glowered at Rachel a bit.

"Ladies, the wood elven king said that he'd set us up with a new bed this morning." Ethan reminded them. "So we shouldn't need to worry about this happening again."

"Thank Illuminar." Beth said under her breath.

"Agreed." Rachel replied frostily, rubbing her scalp with one hand, while still holding the sheets up to protect her modesty with the other.

"How'd you end up next to Alana anyway?" The blonde finally asked, her curiosity getting better of her annoyance at the redhead. Ethan usually slept on his right side with one wife in his arms, and his wings on his other wives. Last night Alana had been in his arms with Beth next to her. Taloni and Rachel were on his other side last night, meaning the mage would've had to climb over at least Ethan and Alana, and maybe Taloni too, in order to end up where she had.

Rachel shrugged. "No idea."

Ethan had a knowing smile on his face, paired with a very amused expression.

"What?" The blonde asked him.

"You'll figure it out eventually." He winked.

Alana -- who had arguably been the most displaced since Ethan leapt up from holding her -- sat up, pulled her knees up to her chin, and wrapped her arms around them.

"Hey, it's going to be okay." Rachel said, sitting next to her and wrapping an arm around her, though she was still holding the sheet protectively over her body.

Near everyone else followed suit, though Beth hesitated a moment before letting her arms wrap around Rachel too. She hadn't done it on purpose, and the blonde didn't feel right holding it against her.

"Your mother is going to love you." Ethan said.

"But what if she doesn't? What if she isn't interested in me after getting to know me?" Alana bit her lip.

"I know you better than anyone else, and I love youbecause I know you." Ethan said, and then glanced pointedly at the resident teen mage. "Rachel does too, and she knows you nearly as well as I do."

"It's true." The redhead said, and Beth couldn't help but notice that her cheeks got slightly pink after that.

Hmm.

Why could that be?

"Okay." The wood elf said as the group hub broke, but she didn't look completely convinced.

"Master, did Elder Goman get back to us yet?" The Fey teen asked. "I'd hate to miss Kendra."

"Let me look." He climbed off the bed and pulled open the desk that was opposite it. "Yup he did. Let's see here." His eyes scanned the letter for several seconds, then got bigger and he glanced at his wives. "Wow. Didn't someone say that he's some kind of portal expert?"

"Yup." Rachel nodded.

"He is." Beth said, remembering that he'd actually written a book on the topic that she'd seen in her father's mage's library. She hadn't read it, but had always wanted to. Of course, that was the case for so, so many books that it was hard to keep track.

"Wow." Ethan said. "He said that he has a portal in his laboratory and can portal Kendra directly to us as long as we're out of the city."

"He can?" Rachel frowned. "How? How would he go about targeting it so far away?"

Ethan cleared his throat and then read. "And let Miss Delmar know that I can use the portal stone I gave you to ensure the portal opens in the right place."

The mage went slightly pink.

"But Dominus, how could Kendra's airship fit through a portal? Would the masts get in the way?"

"Apparently her airship's masts are designed to fold down." He said looking at the letter. "Elder Goman says that he's familiar with..." He looked a little close at the letter. "...Aldmiri? scout ship designs, which apparently all have folding masts." He looked up. "What the hell is an Aldmiri?"

Everyone shrugged.

Beth frowned. "I think I've heard that somewhere before. Maybe in one of the old history books?" She thought about it for a moment, but couldn't place it.

"Well, apparently he can portal Kendra and her airship directly to us."

"That would actually make sense master." Taloni spoke up. "Anthiel and I have been talking about all different kinds of airships during my sailing lessons, and she says that small airships are often designed with folding masts so they can be easily stored on larger airships. Sometimes they're used as escape vessels if the airship starts to go down."

"Like lifeboats." Ethan nodded. "That makes sense."

"I can't wait." The Fey said. "We'll get to see Kendra again a whole week early."

"If she agrees." Ethan countered. "She might not."

"Oh she will master." Taloni replied. "I'm sure of it."

* * *

Sarah laid in bed, looking up at the ceiling as the early morning light streamed in through the window. Other than the man from the Ivernian Mountains, there were no other clients at the inn today. The man liked to sleep in, so that meant she got to also.

She had just been daydreaming that the dragon had come to the inn and met her, just after her problem had been cured. He would be impressed with her virtuousness and piety, and would overlook how plain she was to marry her. Having met two of his wives, she thought they might be nice to her; even as nice as Selene was.

Selene...

Sarah looked over to the empty spot where Selene had slept for those few wonderful nights that she'd been here. She put her hand on the spot and sighed. It had been so nice while she was here. She was wonderful to talk to and had been so kind. It was just exactly what she guessed that having a sister would be like.

It had been wonderful.

Her smiled faltered as she remembered what Gabriella had said in her dream about Lord Farbrottan's men coming for her. She had already considered running, but she had no place to go and no food to get there. She wanted to leave, but didn't think it was wise. It didn't seem wise to stay where they could find her, but then again Gabriella had said that it would all be okay in the end.

Her smile returned as she remembered the other promises the angel had made. She would be able to do some good and get a wonderful husband. She said that it would all be okay in the end; if it wasn't okay, it wasn't the end.

She sighed; now she just had to wait.

* * *

"Are you ready for this?" Ethan asked Alana as they stood in front of the gangplank leading to Halvaer Kalon's airship. Her grandfather's airship was impressive, but he knew that's not what was making her nervous.

The wood elf swallowed hard. "I hope so."

Ethan took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He was pretty sure that Alana's mother Kalaya would adore her daughter based on what Navaro had said. He couldn't be sure of course, but he was pretty sure.

"Honorable dragon." Halvaer called from the weather deck. "If you will come board, your wife's mother is below decks."

"Thank you." He nodded.

Alana looked up at her grandfather with a bit of pain in her eyes. He supposed that it was part of the elven culture that the elf couldn't acknowledge his granddaughter if she was shamed, but it still wasn't right. He thought about it for a moment before deciding to screw it and use his position to help right some cultural wrongs.

"Two or three witnesses." He reminded the older elf, before glancing pointedly at Alana.

Halvaer paused for a moment, looking at the dragon pensively. After several seconds he nodded slowly. He then was silent for several seconds more before speaking carefully.

"Honored dragon, I invite both of you aboard."

Alana smiled.

Halvaer still hadn't made direct eye contact with her nor spoken directly to her, but this was definitely progress. He decided to take the win and not push it further. He held his hand out to his first wife, which she took and he led her aboard.

"Thank you for arranging this meeting honorable Halvaer; I'm very grateful." He said.

The elf gave him a respectful nod of acknowledgement, then lead him towards the quarterdeck. Halvaer's airship appeared to have three decks, and the stairs down to the lower decks were located in the same place as the Argo's; under the stairs up to the quarterdeck. The head of House Kalon lead them below decks, and then to the door of a room that was directly under the captain's cabin. There was a somewhat grandmotherly-looking elf waiting there, and she was smiling ear-to-ear.

"This is my wife, Railen Kalon."

"Pleasure to meet you." Ethan said.

Alana's grandmother looked very much like her granddaughter. Though like all members of House Kalon, she had golden hair instead of the chocolate brown color that adorned Alana's head, and her eyes were blue instead of Alana's rich hazel color. Otherwise, the two looked a lot alike.

"I'm so happy you came." Alana's grandmother said. Ethan was under no illusion that she was referring to him, even though Railen -- like a good wood elf -- didn't look directly at Alana.

"My wife will join you in the room honored dragon, as propriety and tradition require." Halvaer said. "Now if you will excuse me, I have house affairs to manage."

He gave Ethan a respectful nod, then turned and walked back up the stairs.

"Shall we?" Railen Kalon appeared to be having a hard timenot looking at Alana as they stood there. She had a pleasant voice, and something about her reminded him of Anthiel. The age maybe, and something about the mannerisms.

Alana took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Hey, you can do this." He reassured her, taking her hand in his and giving it a gentle squeeze.

She nodded, but bit her lip too.

"She needn't worry." Railen said with a smile, then turned and opened the door.

Ethan and Alana had just come down the stairs, and so they weren't in front of the door. Railen was, and she stepped through leaving it open.

"Mother, I'm so grateful that I'm allowed back in Nalatia." A voice not unlike Alana's came from inside the room. "But may I ask why?"

Ethan gave his wife a gentle nudge and whispered. "Go on."

* * *

Selene craned her neck trying to get a better view of the elven artisans who were working on the captain's cabin. They were working incredibly quickly and she was a bit shocked that they could work that fast while doing that good of a job. Of course, most of them had gray hair and being elves, they had probably been honing their craft for over a hundred years; maybe longer. She and Ethan's wives were far enough away to be out of the way, which also meant they couldn't see as well as they'd like.

"I wonder what they'll use for bedding." Beth mused as she tried to see too.

"I bet it'll be cloth springs." Rachel replied, then sighed. "Oh Illuminar, it would be amazing to sleep on a cloth spring mattress again."

"Cloth Spring?" Selene asked.

"Yeah, enchanted cloth." Rachel said. "They enchant it to be stiff, but it's so thin that it isn't very hard. The tops are flat though, and with the springiness and large surface area..." She sighed. "They areso comfortable."

"That sounds wonderful." Taloni beamed.

"Speaking of magic." Selene turned to Rachel. "Would you still be willing to help me learn?" She shook her head as she heard what she'd said. "I can't believe that I just said that in a non-ironic way."

"I can't imagine saying it in an ironic way." Rachel chuckled. "And yes, I'd be happy to. Are you free now?"

"Absolutely." She replied instantly. "I honestly feel a bit useless on the Argo right now, and I'd really like if I could contribute more than just my sword arm."

"I understand that." Rachel nodded. "Okay, basics first: do you remember what the Ether is?"

* * *

Ethan gave Alana a gentle nudge. "Go on." He said softly.

She froze.

"Mom?" The Alana-like voice came from the room. "I'm really grateful you've let me come back, but why am I allowed back now?"

"Your father wanted it to be a surprise." Railen Kalon replied from inside the room, then poked her head out and said to Alana. "Come on."

"Who's there?" The voice from the room asked.

"That's your mom." Ethan whispered into Alana's ear. "Go meet her."

She nodded mutely and took a step forward, then turned and whispered urgently to him. "I can't do this."

"Mom, who's out there?" Kalaya said from inside the room.

"Patience dear." Railen replied.

Ethan found himself glad that Alana's first meeting with her father had been sprung on her as a surprise. He didn't want to imagine what she would've been like meeting him too.

"Hey, I'll be right behind you."

She nodded, bit her lip and then -- with him gently pushing her forward -- they stepped around the corner.

The room was square like the Argo's captain's cabin, but since the House Kalon Flagship was wider, the room was much larger. It was about twenty five feet square, and the bedroom was richly decorated in a not-dissimilar style to the palace. It seemed like there was a subtle difference in the style of the carvings, but the overall effect was similar.

At the rear of the room, sitting on a large bed, was a stunning elf. She was the spitting image of Alana, except her hair was golden blonde -- just like her sister the queen and her mother -- and her eyes a stunning shade of brilliant blue. She was absolutely stunning. Alana had a more "girl-next-door" kind of beauty, while Kalaya Kalon could've easily been a model on Earth, if she had been more than an inch taller than her five foot daughter.