A Dragon's Tale Ch. 56

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hold." The same man called. A second or two later, the surface of the portal changed slightly, taking on a slightly rainbow-esque shimmer that was quite subtle and looked more like calm water.

"Move out!"

Selene double-timed it forward and through the portal with everyone else. Passing through the portal was just as unpleasant as the last time. It felt like getting a bone-deep chill which then completely disappeared, only to be replaced by a slight warming sensation and simultaneously no small amount of chills. She did her best to ignore the sensation and keep moving though because the people around her didn't stop.

The moment she was through, someone grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side.

In front of her, unfathomable interstellar distances from where she'd been for the last month, she saw the Earth counterpart to the base she'd just been at. It looked much the same, only it was a concrete room instead of a stone one. The same military types were there and similar equipment. She could see Gonorran there with his cold, all-black eyes and several dead goats were around him. Next to him and staring right at her was Smithbond-- No, Clive Eustace Humphry.

Still pissed about the birthday thing and Illuminar, she said the first thing that came to her mind. "Hey Clive, 'sup."

In hindsight, not the smartest move.

* * *

"Drago?"

Alana turned to see Kendra standing behind her with her mask firmly in place, addressing their husband who was right next to the wood elf. Alana had been standing outside the captain's cabin practicing with her bow and new travel arrows.

She was determined to get her accuracy with the new travel bow and the new travel arrows at least as good as it was with her original bow and arrow set. She didn't want to be in a position like the other night where she had a perfect shot at Lord Delmar and couldn't take it because of accuracy concerns. She was getting much better, but she wasn't where she wanted to be just yet. Her arrows were all landing in an area the size of a small apple at 75 yards, but she knew she could do better once she really learned this bow well.

Myla and Ethan were next to her watching. Alana had noticed that Myla did that a lot; she seemed to enjoy watching people, perhaps analyzing what they were doing.

"What's up?" Ethan asked the dragon huntress.

"I promised the man who told us about the dragon who kidnapped Victoria that I would return with a few dragon scales in payment for the information." She paused. "I don't lie."

Myla frowned.

It didn't escape Alana's notice that the dusky-skinned woman frowned in reaction to Kendra's comment about lying. She looked at Ethan for a moment, then Kendra, and then seemed to hesitate for a moment.

"Meelas?" The dusky-skinned woman said in her slight accent after several seconds. "I had not wish to interrupt, but since you will be departing from the Argo on a journey, might I inquire concerning a favor?"

"Sure."

"Alana indicated that you would be willing to fly me to the Midnight Sun so that Luminar Kossel could write a divorce certificate for me."

"Oh, sure." He nodded, glanced at Kendra, then back at her. "Would you be okay waiting until Kendra and I return? It won't take too long."

"Hai." She nodded but didn't say anything else.

"Then Kendra and I should get going." Ethan said. "I'll fly you over there when I get back."

"Thank you mast--" The former slave stopped. "Thank you Meelas."

"You're welcome." He replied, after which he grabbed the grenade satchel and his weapons and then took off with Kendra on his back.

Myla seemed to relax slightly once he was gone.

"Kendra wasn't insinuating that Ethan lied." Alana said once they were gone.

Myla looked at her.

"Kendra just found out that someone she knows lied to her and she's rather upset about it." Alana explained. "Ethan is one of the most honest men that I know; he doesn't lie."

Myla nodded, but didn't say anything else.

"Myla, you're among friends here." Alana said kindly with a smile. "We aren't perfect, but we do try to help whoever we can, however we can. Ethan isnothing like Lord Farbrottan. He actually prefers when we speak up and share our opinions."

Myla nodded slowly and glanced into Alana's eyes for a moment. The wood elf got the strong impression that there was rather a lot going on in the other woman's mind that she wasn't sharing. She was not dissimilar to Rachel that way, in how you could almost see the wheels turning in her head. Unlike Rachel however, Myla's silence didn't seem to be nervousness or insecurity. It seemed more intentional and deliberate; a choice rather than because of insecurity.

"My heart is filled with gratitude for your explanation." Myla said after a moment.

"You're welcome." Alana smiled.

* * *

Fiona took a deep breath as she stood outside the Gibstine drawing room in the castle at Karnas. She had no idea why Sir Warrick wanted to meet her for tea, but Marge had suggested that perhaps Fiona's meeting with Lord Delmar on the Helene the previous night might not have gone unnoticed.

As she thought about it, Sir Warrick was the man who had asked if Lord Delmar had found a wife when he had returned from picking up Lady Ekthros and Sarah in Ivernia, making it even more likely that this had something to do with the proposal. The copper-haired woman frowned, not particularly happy with this turn of events but also not sure it was a bad thing either.

She looked down to see Conner snoozing away on her chest, held securely in place by the wrap that her mother-in-law had given her. Sean's mother had sworn that Fiona would learn to love it and the woman had been right. She was also wearing one of the nicer dresses that she owned, not that it was fancy. It occurred to her just then that she hadn't worn anything special to see Lord Delmar but had to see Sir Warrick.

Hmm.

Perhaps she was more comfortable with the lord?

She took another deep breath and then opened the door.

The Gibstine drawing room was fairly typical for a drawing room in this castle. There were bookshelves on one wall, windows to the outside on another, several tables, chairs, and a few couches arranged in the room. Everything was obviously of the highest quality but none of it was ostentatious. No one would doubt the wealth of the owner, but no one would accuse him of flaunting that wealth either. The room had a decorating scheme primarily in a pale green color.

Sitting at one of the tables that was large enough to comfortably seat four was Sir Warrick himself. He was probably in his sixties and was slightly overweight, but not overly so. He wasn't tall and his hair had greyed somewhat, though he still looked reasonably healthy and fit despite his slight gut. He looked up when the door opened.

"Miss McWilliams." He stood up and did a head bow. "Thank you for meeting me. Please, take a seat." He indicated another chair at the table that had been pulled out slightly.

"Sir Warrick." Fiona curtsied and then walked to the chair and sat down. "I must be confessing to some confusion at your invitation; to what am I owing the honor?"

"Straight to business eh?" He chuckled. "Very well, though let me pour you some tea first."

He did so.

He looked at her for a long moment and tapped his finger on the table a few times while he did. "Miss McWilliams, before last night, do you know the last time that Lord Delmar intentionally met alone with an unmarried woman of childbearing age, outside the context of a prearranged meeting related to affairs of the kingdom?"

"I'm afraid I'm not knowing." She replied. "I've only been in Karnas for a few months now."

"Let me give you a hint." He pointed to a small painting on the wall. It was of a redheaded girl of about ten or eleven who bore a striking resemblance to Helene Delmar. It was almost certainly a painting of her as a child, though she supposed that it could also be her daughter, Rachel, who apparently looked a lot like her.

"The Lady Helene?" Fiona guessed.

Sir Warrick nodded. "I have been trying to convince Lord Delmar to take a wife for fifteen years. The traditional mourning period for a member of the monarchy is one year; I afforded him twice that because I have never seen a man so taken with a woman as Lord Delmar was with Helene, Illuminar rest her soul."

"Amen." Fiona said, feeling sad for Lord Delmar once again; she knew what it was like to lose a spouse.

"Fifteen years." Sir Warrick repeated. "Fifteen. Several times a week for fifteen years I have tried to arrange for Lord Delmar to see an eligible young noblewoman, and eventually I urged him to seeany eligible young woman of good character. For fifteen years he has politely refused." He paused. "And occasionally not so politely."

"Oh?"

He nodded. "Then after he disinherited Rachel, I began to entreat him in earnest. Every single day since then I have asked him to take even a single meeting with even one young woman and he has steadfastly refused." He looked at her pointedly. "Until last night."

Fiona didn't say a word, not sure where he was going with this and not wanting to reveal more than she should.

He eyed her like a constable might examine a particularly important piece of evidence. "Last night, without the knowledge of anyone in the castle save the guards who saw it and one or two people who glanced out a window -- one of whom told me -- the most committed bachelor I have ever seen met with you. Alone."

He stopped talking, quite possibly waiting for her to answer. Fiona took a page from Lord Delmar's book and simply didn't reply. She met Sir Warrick's eye but didn't speak for several long moments. "Sir Warrick, were you asking a question?"

"Why you?" He replied. "Why is Lord Delmar making overtures of marriage to you?"

"Begging your pardon Sir Warrick, but you weren't a part of the conversation so you aren't knowing what we were discussing."

"You deny that he made overtures of marriage?" He raised his eyebrow.

"I'm not denying nor am I confirming." Fiona replied evenly. "I'm simply saying that you aren't knowing what was being said and that I'll not be repeating what we were talking about unless the Lord Delmar himself is giving me permission."

He looked like he'd been slapped for a moment and then he started chuckling. "Ah, so it's discretion in a young woman that he's after; no wonder he's been looking for so long."

Again taking a page from Lord Delmar's book, Fiona remained silent and kept her expression neutral.

Sir Warrick smiled. "Well, if you are discreet enough to catch Lord Delmar's eye, I suppose I won't get more than tonight's menu out of you then."

"Roast lamb is the main course, though of course there will be many sides." Fiona said with a smile.

Sir Warrick laughed. "You're not unlike her."

"Who?"

He pointed to the portrait of the redheaded girl. "Helene."

"Oh?"

He nodded. "She had a very dry sense of humor and was the only person I know who could make Lord Delmar laugh." He got a faraway and fond look in his eyes. "She had a biting wit that she rarely used except when someone stepped quite far over the line, but when she used it everyone would laugh, even the person she was admonishing. She could even get Lord Delmar to laugh out loud during dinner in the great hall." His smile faded. "I have only rarely heard him laugh since she passed. Even then, it was only when Rachel was in view, and even that stopped once she became rebellious."

"That's truly a shame." She replied.

Sir Warrick looked at Fiona. "He needs a wife. True the kingdom needs an heir, but he needs a wife. He needs someone to remind him that the world has goodness, beauty, and happiness. He needs to be reminded that there is more than duty and law in the world."

"It's sounding like you're more concerned for him than for the kingdom having an heir." Fiona pointed out.

He made an expression that was somehow a smile mixed with a thoughtful frown. "I do believe that Lord Delmar has exquisite taste in women Miss McWilliams. You are discrete, perceptive, funny, and obviously intelligent. Plus, if the rumors I hear are true, you are uncommonly kind and caring as well."

"Thank you." She smiled; that was quite the compliment.

"If Lord Delmar has made overtures of marriage to you, I can only assume there was some reason that you turned him down." Sir Warrick said after a few moments. "I do not know what your reasons are, but if at all possible, I would urge you to reconsider your reservations for Lord Delmar's sake." He then added. "And the kingdom's as well."

She frowned. "It's sounding like you're worrying about him."

He nodded. "He hasn't been the same since Helene died, and he grew noticeably more sullen after he was forced to disinherit Rachel as well. It is subtle and I'm sure goes unnoticed by all save those who spend the most time with him, but he has. All men have their limits Miss McWilliams. Lord Delmar's limits are greater than most -- so great in fact that he must've been blessed by Illuminar Himself -- but he does have them." He looked at her pointedly. "I would not wish to find out what they are."

"I'm understanding that." Fiona replied.

"I ask you to reconsider what it was that made you reject his offer of marriage." Sir Warrick said. "I do not know your reason so perhaps you cannot, and I would understand if that was the case, but I would urge you to reconsider if at all possible. Lord Delmar and the kingdom itself might depend on it."

"You're assuming that he's made such an offer." Fiona replied, knowing that almost any other response would reveal that he was correct.

He smiled. "A woman as discreet as you would surely be worth more than many jewels to Lord Delmar; keep that in mind. It might be that you have something he cannot afford to slip through his grasp. Keep that in mind if you cannot reconsider your reasons; perhaps he will bend enough to accommodate you, or perhaps a compromise could be reached."

"Thank you for the tea Sir Warrick." She said, taking her first sip. It was good tea and it was almost a shame that they had been talking long enough that it had cooled a bit more than she would've preferred.

She stood.

He stood as well and gave her a long look. "I think that you would make an excellent First Lady, Miss McWilliams."

"Oh?"

"You have something of Helene's spirit in you, in how you care about others and go out of your way to help them." He replied. "Lord Delmar needs that. He is a hard man and utterly devoted to Narlotten's good, but could do with a regular reminder that a softer touch can sometimes be more effective. He also needs to be reminded regularly that there is more to the world than duty and law. Helene provided that counterbalance and I believe that you could as well."

"That's a right potent compliment there." She replied with a smile.

"And it is genuine." He pulled out a pocket watch and then looked at her. "I must be going. Please bear in mind what I said."

"I'm thanking you for being so open, and at least I'm knowing how to pray for the Lord Delmar better."

"So discreet." He chuckled again with a wide smile. "It's a small wonder that Lady Ekthros doesn't recruit you for the intelligence service."

Fiona forced a smile.

He turned to leave but stopped before opening the door. "I appreciate your discretion, so I will say that you should feel free to repeat the contents of this conversation to Lord Delmar if you wish or feel it wise."

"Thank you Sir Warrick." She curtsied.

"Miss McWilliams." He gave her another head bow and then left the room.

Fiona sat back down and took another sip of the tea, cooler than was ideal though it was. She wasn't sure what to make of what she had just learned.

She could see his point about Lord Delmar though, about him working endlessly with little joy for a long time. That could certainly break a person, though she didn't know if it would break a dragon as well. They were somewhat renowned for being solitary beings, so perhaps it was different for them. Then again, he had apparently become even more sullen after Rachel left, so perhaps they weren't so solitary. Or at least Lord Delmar might not be.

Fiona liked the idea that she could be helping him. She wanted to after everything that he had done for her and Conner. Honestly, a part of her felt like she perhaps owed him for all he had done. She didn't want to marry for that, but that didn't change how she felt.

But Sean...

Fiona felt her throat tighten slightly as she thought about her deceased husband. They hadn't been married very long and he had spent much of that time away as a soldier, but she was still missing him dearly. Was she even ready to be married again? She wasn't sure. She was hating how lonely she'd been. Having Sarah around had been wonderful, but it served to highlight just how empty her life was without her husband and friends.

She wanted to be married again and Sean had told her that if something happened to him, she should remarry. Of all the men she'd met, none could hold a candle to Lord Delmar, even with him being a dragon.

But she wanted to be bonded.

She couldn't explain it, but she just felt closer to her husband after they had bonded. It was a subtle thing, but it was strong. Humans didn't usually live long enough to enjoy the full fruits of bonding like being able to sense emotions and even talk to each other over great distances. She knew deep in her spirit that she had felt better when Sean was around after they had bonded. It was subtle, but powerful.

She wanted that again.

She wanted her husband to feel that for her.

If the Lord Delmar did, she thought that he might grow to have a fraction of the affection for her that he had for Helene. Fiona thought that even a quarter of that affection would be enough. It seemed unlikely that he would develop much affection for her without bonding and he had refused to bond.

Perhaps Sir Warrick was right.

Perhaps the Lord Delmar would accommodate her if she was patient.

* * *

"Here they are." Kendra said as she dropped a half dozen dragon scales into the man's hand at Sarah's father's inn. There were only a half dozen people in the inn right now, but she expected that number would increase as the sun got lower. It wasn't late yet, but travelers would be looking for lodging soon.

She liked being on a mission like this. It was a good distraction fromother things.

"Thank ya kindly." The old-timer grinned, showing that he was missing a few teeth. "I can tell ya about some more dragons little lady. Why, I hear there's a copper-colored dragon that's been working his way slowly south looking for some steel grey dragon. I know he ain't too far south yet, but I could find out in exchange for a few of his scales."

"How far south?" Kendra asked with entirely unfeigned interest.

"Not too far, I hear he's halfway between Arcanum and here, but I could find out exactly where for the right price." The man replied.

Kendra kept her face neutral as she shook her head. "Nah; me and the boys are going to live the good life for a while after this score."

"I don't blame ya!" He man said, then he raised his voice. "Festus, a flagon of your finest ale!"

The innkeeper brought one over.

"I need to get going, thanks!" Kendra said with far more joviality than she felt as she turned to leave, then she thought to everyone. *Bad news. The fellow says that he heard about a copper-colored dragon who's flying south looking for a steel grey dragon.*

*Kyrupto.* Ethan replied. *Damn, as if we didn't have enough to worry about.*

*I'll bet he wants to settle up with you.* Rachel added.

*Fortunately, the man said that Kyrupto isn't too far south yet.* Kendra opened the door to the inn and stepped out.