A Family Torn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After the greetings, Ms. James got right to the point. "Mr. and Ms. Hayden, we have two ways we can go on your case. I wanted to talk to you before making a decision. With your daughter's testimony I have no doubt I can get a conviction for statutory rape. The judge really doesn't have any discretion on sentencing. Mr. Cooper will be sentenced to three to five years. He will be eligible for parole as soon as he has served his three years. If he kept his nose clean, most likely he'd get out.

"Detective Lobowski has been trying to get Mr. Cooper to confess. Just about the time we thought he would, his lawyer got involved. Cooper will plead guilty to aggravated criminal sexual abuse. It is a class B felony and carries a mandatory one year sentence with no parole. He will also be put on the Illinois Sex Offender Registry.

"Now I know you'd like to see him go away for as long as possible but I'm thinking of Lana. If I accept his plea he spends a full year behind bars and she doesn't have to testify. I asked you to come because I wanted your input before I make the decision."

Tom and Angela looked at each other. Everyone knew what Tom was thinking. He wanted to see the guy spend the rest of his life behind bars with a cell mate named Bubba, but that of course wasn't an option. "What do you think?" he asked Angela.

She looked back to the ADA. "Do we have to give you an answer this minute?"

"No, but I would need an answer pretty soon--within a day or two?" she replied.

The concerned mother addressed Tom. "I think we should talk to Lana, see what she says. She's the victim. She's the one who'd have to testify."

Tom nodded with a sigh. "Yeah, you're probably right." He looked back at Ms. James. "Would that be okay? We'll talk to her tonight and let you know tomorrow."

"That would fine," responded the lady lawyer. "I'll wait for your call."

That night they sat down with Lana and explained the situation.

"How long would it take if we go to trial?" she asked. "I mean would I have to take time off from school and all that?"

"Ah, well I'm not sure, honey," replied her dad. "I know trials take time. I would assume it would take two or three months to get trial started, then—I don't maybe a three or four days, maybe more."

"But if she takes his plea he goes away immediately...right?"

"I would think so, yes," answered Tom.

Lana sat, just staring at into space while she thought of her options.

"I want to go to trial," she said decisively.

"Are you sure, honey?" Angela wasn't so sure. She hated the thought of her daughter having to go through a trial.

"Yes, mom, I'm sure. I want to get up on the stand and look him in the eye," she replied. I want to look at him straight in the face when I send him to jail."

Tom couldn't have been more proud of his little girl. As promised, the next day he called Ms. James and told her of Lana's decision. She complimented him and Ms. Hayden on raising such a courageous young lady and immediately started the wheels rolling for a trial.

It turned out to be a little easier than Lana and her parents expected. Her testimony was so compelling she didn't leave much for the defending attorney to go after. The jury took only five hours to convict Dayton Cooper on all counts.

It was over!

Well, at least that part of it was over. Lana would still live with the memories, her mother would still live with the guilt, and her father would live with the anger and sense of injustice. With time and the help of therapy, those things would eventually get easier to live with but they would never go away completely.

Tom and Angela continued with their therapy sessions for another four months. With the help of Dr. Raddick they discovered things about each other that they hadn't known previously and they were getting alone great—no fights. He even stayed for coffee sometimes when picking up Lana on weekends.

Lana's problems were a little deeper rooted. On the outside she appeared to be fine, but her torment left feelings of mistrust and shame in its wake. She would be seeing Dr. Zarkowski for a while.

When the Rhicter and Wright agency opened their Chicago branch they asked Tom to come in and meet the ad executives. Two days later he was working on his first shoot for them. It wasn't anything spectacular. He knew they would test him for a while but he and Cayla started putting in longer hours almost immediately.

They really seemed to love his work, but there were no guaranties, no contracts between commercial photographers and ad agencies. They could drop him on a whim if they desired so Tom would wait until he felt more secure with their business relationship before hiring more people.

It was a few months before both parties felt completely confident with the other. Tom was finally called in on a campaign for one of their major clients. This was more than a single ad shot. It was a series of shots that would be used in high-profile ads over a period of time. It was Rhicter and Wright's way of saying, 'you're in.'

Cayla had been putting in some long hours. It was time to sit down and talk to her boss. "Tom, can I talk to you for a few minutes?"

"Yeah, sure, what's up?"

"Tom, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate all the overtime pay and all those impromptu bonuses you've been given me but I've had two dates in the last three months. I love my work but I need some time for myself. Have you given any serious thought to hiring more people; at least one more."

Actually he had. "I do have someone in mind, as a matter of fact," he told her.

That Saturday morning he was all smiles when he stopped by to pick up Lana. As Angela welcomed him inside, Lana heard his voice and yelled down from her bedroom. "I'll be down in a couple minutes, dad."

"Okay, pumpkin," he yelled back. "Hey, bring something nice with you, a nice dress or something."

"Okay."

"Would you like some coffee while you're waiting?" asked Angela.

"Yeah, that would be great."

As Tom sat at the kitchen table, Angela poured him a cup of black gold then took a seat with a cup of her own. "So, have special plans?" she asked.

"Yeah, I landed a new client and I thought we'd celebrate by going to a nice place for dinner tonight--want to go?"

"Me?" she asked, surprise.

"Yeah, I figure you could use a night out."

The truth was she hadn't been out for dinner since Dayton had taken her out shortly after the divorce was final. "Oh, Tom, I would love to go."

"Where are we going," asked Lana as she rounded the staircase and heard them talking.

"I'm taking you and your mother out to a nice restaurant to celebrate tonight. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Good, I'll pick you up at seven," he told his ex before he and Lana left for a fun day together.

Angela tried to keep herself busy but she was on cloud nine all day in anticipation of her evening out. She was as nervous and excited as she remembered being on her very first date. Every hour she checked the clock as it slowly crept forward. At five-thirty she decided to start getting ready; after-all, she wanted to look her best. She primped, preened, fixed, and spiffed-up until she was finally satisfied. She knew she had done good when she opened the door and saw her ex-husband's jaw drop to the 'welcome' mat he was standing on.

"Wow, you look stunning, Angie."

"Thank you, kind sir, you look pretty handsome yourself," she replied with a smile.

Both mother and daughter were impressed as he pulled into the valet area of Plato's Place.

"Wow, dad, this is cool," uttered an excited Lana as the valet opened her door for her to step out. Angela waited for the good looking, young man to do the same for her.

After all the troubles over the past year and a half, it felt good for everyone to enjoy a night out as a family...even if it was an illusion. Tom ordered appetizers that they all could munch on while waiting for the main course then initiated some small talk.

"How's work, Angie?"

"Ugh, I wish I could say it was stimulating but it's still the same work I've been doing for years," she replied with a chuckle. "Tell me about this new client of yours. It must be a pretty good one."

He had to smile as she unknowingly led him with the perfect segue. "That it is," he confirmed. "One of the largest and most prestigious ad agencies in New York just opened a branch here in Chicago and I've been working with them. So far they haven't had any complaints and I'm pretty confident that by this time next year I'll be doing double of what I am right now."

Both she and Lana looked at him in minor shock. "Wow, dad, that's great."

"Yes, Tom, congratulations; that's so exciting."

"Yeah, it is. I'll be working on national and world-wide campaigns. We're in the middle of one right now for Rolli watches."

"Oh, Tom, that's wonderful."

"Thanks; it poses some problems though. I'm going to have to hire some more help. It's already gotten too big for just Cayla and me and if it keeps going the way it has been I'll be looking for bigger space next year."

"I'm happy for you, Tom."

"Yeah, me too, dad."

"Thank you, ladies. Cayla's threatening to quit if I don't get some help so I've got to find someone pretty quick. What I'm really looking for is someone who can think outside the box; someone who can come up with fresh, new ideas."

Tom had to keep from laughing. While he was talking, Lana kept pointing to her mother. Angela, of course, was looking at him as he spoke and didn't see her daughter's, not too subtle, signals. Tom smiled and winked. That brought a giant grin to the pretty young lady's face.

Tom continued. "You wouldn't know anyone like that, would you?" he asked his ex.

"Me? I don't really know anyone in your business except you and Cayla," she replied.

"Really? I just thought you might know someone—you know, maybe someone with auburn hair and green eyes. Someone who looks fantastic in black cocktail dress."

It was finally starting to dawn on her. Her eyes widened. "Tom, are...are you asking me to..." she stopped for a second to study his face. She quickly went over what he said in her mind before making a fool of herself. "Are you asking me to come work for you?"

"Well dah, mom. Do you know anyone else with red hair and green eyes?" chimed her smartass daughter.

"I'm not rich but I can give you twenty-five dollars a week more than you're making now. I'm also upping your child support by a hundred a month so that should help as well."

"Are...are you sure? I'm mean, you're not just doing this because of what I said in therapy are you? How much help can I really be?"

"Angie, when I finally decided to hire more help I thought back to our family portrait. Rarely does someone come into the studio and not mention what a great shot that is. I remember how you pushed me, challenged me. Right now I need that, someone who will push me beyond my limits. You'll work from eight till three. That way you can get home about the same time as Lana."

Angela almost knocked over the waiter who was coming with their entrees as she jumped up to hug Tom around the neck. "When do you want me to start?" she asked with excitement.

"Well, when can you start?"

"I should give two weeks notice, Tom. Would that be okay?"

He smiled and nodded.

"Okay, I'll hand my notice in Monday morning." Angela was so excited she could hardly eat.

That Monday Cayla wasn't very enthused when Tom told her who he hired but the more she thought about it, the more she liked the idea and welcomed Angela with open arms on her first day.

Tom needed one more hire. A young, twenty-two year old college graduate by the name of Roger filled the bill to round out his team. It turned out to be a team that Rhicter and Wright would count on more and more in the upcoming months.

It had been over two years since his divorce was final. They all had gone through more hardships and trauma than any one family deserved, but things finally seemed to be working out...except for one of them...

Dayton Cooper was having a hard time in prison. He found the other inmates hated pedophiles almost as much as fathers did. He was shanked the first month he was there and wound up in solitary for his own protection.

Tom's prediction that his business would double in size came to fruition.

Lana was in her junior year of high school and growing into a beautiful, well-adjusted young lady.

Now it was time for Tom to get on with his personal life. Instead of renewing the lease on his apartment he put a down payment down on a wonderful little colonial, three bedroom house surround by a tree laden, one acre lot. Even better was the fact that it was in Lana's school district and not all that far from the other house and her friends. She would be the first to learn of his purchase.

"So what do you think?"

They stood just inside the front door, looking into the empty living room.

"Dad—you bought a house?"

"Yeah, I can't keep living in an apartment all my life. I know it doesn't look like much without furniture but I have five weeks until my lease runs out so I've got time to shop around."

"Dad, it's wonderful," she said while roaming around. "A nice size kitchen, too. How many bedrooms?"

"Three. It also has a full basement. I'm going to finish it and put my office down there. That way you can have your own bedroom and I can keep the other as a guest room."

Tom took his daughter for a tour of the place and let her select which of the two available bedrooms she wanted. She of course picked the one with the two large windows.

"Can I tell mom?"

"I don't see why not."

Lana pulled out her cell phone and took several pictures inside and out.

When Tom dropped Lana off later that night, she couldn't wait to show her mom the pictures. Angela tried to share in her daughter's exuberance but the news of her ex buying a house was like another nail in her coffin. Obviously he entertained no thoughts of ever moving back home or reconciling.

The following Monday, Angela and Cayla were already collaborating on a new concept for one of their smaller clients when Tom walked through the door of the studio.

Angela looked up and smiled. "Congratulations, Tom. Lana showed me pictures of the house you bought."

"You bought a house?" parroted Cayla. "Why didn't you say something? Where?"

"Arlington Hills," he confirmed. "I've always liked that area. I got the place for a steal and couldn't pass it up."

"Why didn't you say something?" asked Cayla for the second time.

"It just didn't come up. I'm still in the apartment until the end of next month so I haven't moved in yet. I want to do some painting and I have a ton of furniture to buy. I'm going to put my bed in the guest room and buy a new one for Lana and another new one for me. It'll take a while before I get it the way I want."

"Got any pictures?" asked Cayla.

He chuckled. "You'd think I would, wouldn't you. No, I don't. I promise I'll take a few shots next time I'm out there. Now, come on, ladies, we have work to do."

Over the next few weeks, Tom went out shopping almost every night. He took Lana out over his weekend with her and let her pick out her own bedroom set. With only three days left on his lease, Tom was moving the last of his stuff from his apartment to the house. The night was still young so he picked up his phone.

"Hello, Tom. Is something wrong?"

"No, why do you think something's wrong?"

"Well, you never call during the week unless you're retuning my call for something. I just wondered."

"Nothing's wrong. I just wondered if you'd like to come over and see the house? I'm taking a few things over there and I if you wanted to meet me I'd give you the twenty-five cent tour. Bring Lana."

"I'd love to see it, Tom, but Lana's at a school function tonight. I have to pick her up at nine o'clock. How far is it?"

"It's ten minutes from you. Got a pen and paper?"

Angela quickly got something to write on and took down the address. He explained how to get there and told her he'd meet her there in half an hour. She beat him by two minutes.

As Tom walked her through the house she did all the right things. She smiled and told him how much she liked this and that, she fawned over a couple pieces of furniture, raved about the fireplace, and tried to be happy for him, but it wasn't working.

The enthusiasm in his voice as he talked about things that still needed to be done, was breaking her heart. They had been getting along so well. They hadn't had a single fight since stopping the therapy sessions. She was so praying that eventually they'd get back together. The last ounce of hope died when he took upstairs to show her the bedrooms.

"A king size bed?" she didn't mean to utter it out loud but she had. "That's a lot of bed for just you, isn't it?" This time she did mean to say it out loud. Unfortunately, she didn't disguise the jealously in her voice very well.

"Well, hopefully it's not just me forever," he replied.

Again, she had to fight back tears. She wanted to just run out of the house and cry her eyes out but she couldn't do that. Not only did she have her dignity to think about but her job as well. She loved it and didn't want to jeopardize it by complicating things.

Tom showed her Lana's bedroom and the furniture their daughter had picked out, then asked her to join him for a cup of coffee in the kitchen. They sat down opposite each other at the little table he had brought over from his apartment. Tom looked a little pensive, like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure if he should. But he had to ask...

"Angela, something's been bothering me for a long time and if we learned anything from Dr. Raddick, it's to bring things out in the open and not assume or let our suspicions fester...right?"

This sounded like bad news. Angela wasn't sure how much more she could take. Apprehensively she answered. "Yeah, I guess."

"Okay, then I have to ask, I know you said in therapy that you weren't sleeping with Dayton or anyone else before our divorce, was that true? Because I have to tell you, I really thought that's what all the fights were about."

"So help me, Tom. With all the problems we were having, I never even thought of cheating on you. It just never even occurred to me. I..." she stopped for a moment to gather her thoughts. "I think I was probably so mad at you all the time that I projected that anger to men in general. I know the men at work kept away from me for a long time while we were having our troubles. It wasn't until you left...it...left such a hole. That's when Dayton saw his chance. Hell, I'd never even so much as had coffee with him before that...honest."

Angela was getting nervous as Tom quietly sat, thinking over what she said. What seemed to her like an hour of silence was actually only a few seconds.

"I believe you," he told her. "I really wish we had gone to therapy before getting divorced. We probably wouldn't be where we are today—two years down the drain; two years of hurt and anger, what a waste."

This was the first time, at least in her presence, that Tom had shown any remorse. Could she dare pray for a smidgen of hope, or would she just open herself up for another downfall? A million things ran through her mind. What should she say?

Tom put her out of her misery. "Want to try again?"

Suddenly her heart felt as if it would leap from her chest. "Did I hear you right? Did you just ask...what...to get married again?"

"Over the last few months you've turned back into the woman I first fell in love with. Almost nightly I've gone home after working with you and gone over things in my mind. I've recognized the same traits in your personality as you had when we were younger, the same traits that made you so enduring. This is not a decision I've made lightly. I've given it a lot of thought," he told her, emphasizing the word, lot.

1...456789