A Festive Affair Ch. 17-20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dean nodded -- the previous partner was not even worth a mention in his opinion. "What can I do for her then?"

Kelly hesitated, as she assessed him. "She will probably be feeling... grotty by then. She will rest better if she is feeling a little fresher -- washed, I mean. Just a damp cloth for her face and hands and arms to start with, if you know what I mean -- not a full-on bed bath. She will need something to drink -- plenty of fluids she will be dehydrated after so long without anything and the toll it will have taken on her system... light food to start with..." she sighed again and leaned forwards a little. "Perhaps I should come and stay too, for a couple of days, and take care of her."

Dean thought about it seriously for a moment. Shelly would certainly be more comfortable with her cousin taking care of her, but then he shook his head.

"If she is ill -- then I want to be the one to take care of her -- me, myself not just pass her on to someone else."

Kelly smiled warmly. "I agree, I will nip over to her house now, and pick up some things for her -- where is her bag, I will need her keys?"

Dean went through to the bedroom and came back carrying Shelly's bag.

He held it out to Kelly who took it and looked inside the front pocket.

"She always keeps them there so that she can easily access them." she declared pulling out a set of jingling keys.

"The two of you are close -- aren't you?" Dean observed huskily.

Kelly smiled. "She is the sister I never had." she said simply. "As I am to her."

She stood up to go, but then looked up at him. "I should be about an hour I think, but then I will come back to drop off fresh clothes, and just double check to make sure she is okay."

She wasn't asking permission and so Dean merely nodded his acceptance.

"If you haven't had a chance to eat, then perhaps you would like to join me for dinner, when you return?"

Kelly grinned and her dimples flared to life as her brown eyes twinkled briefly.

"Thank you I accept your kind offer."

She was as good as her word and just about an hour later, Dean opened the door to her again.

She strode in with a small holdall and turned to look questioningly at him.

"She is still out of it," Dean sighed, and his eyes mirrored his concern.

Kelly smiled reassuringly. "It's those pills. They really do knock her out, but I suppose that's their purpose, it's the rest that she needs the most."

"What causes these attacks? Has it ever been determined?"

She shook her head, as she sat down on his sofa. "They happen so rarely and once she gets over it, she is perfectly fine... I believe they did some scans, at one point, but nothing ever came of it." She shrugged her shoulders and then gave a delicate little sniff. "I've not eaten since breakfast and something surely does smell nice?"

Dean gave a short laugh, but his shoulders relaxed a little. "It's just a casserole, nothing fancy, I'm afraid; but it will feed the two of us."

"That's always useful I suppose," she smiled, and her dimples flared in her cheeks, giving her a playful edge. "We are neither of us on the small and delicate side so it will be no small accomplishment if you are correct in your assumption."

He laughed again and shook his head. "You can certainly tell that the two of you are closely related."

"I'll just go and peep in on her and then is there somewhere I can freshen up a little before we sit down to eat?"

"There is a small restroom just to the left of my bedroom door; you should find everything you need in there." He pointed to the cream anonymous looking door and Kelly nodded her acknowledgement.

Dean wandered through to his kitchen and set the small table with cutlery and condiments, before moving to the oven to remove the oven proof dish.

He was just dishing up the food when Kelly strolled into the kitchen.

"She's still out of it," she reported quietly.

Dean simply shrugged, as he continued to spoon the casserole onto the plates.

"It's for the best I believe you said earlier?"

"Yes, I did, and I know it for the truth -- but I still hate to see her like this."

"You and I both," Dean agreed as they sat down at his cosy little table.

The food was more than adequate -- in fact it was delicious, but to the pair of them it might as well have been sawdust -- such was their worry for Shelly.

They were tidying up the kitchen together when there was suddenly a hoarse groan from the bedroom.

Dean dropped the tea towel that he had been using and dashed through to the bedroom.

Kelly paused to pick it up and draped it over the rail, then she wiped down the table, and then she took a slow look around the room.

It was only a small kitchen, with all the utilities slotted away under the sink, and the sideboards on each side.

It was basic and cosy and was perfect for a bachelor pad.

She turned and strolled slowly across to the bedroom, and gave a light tap before walking in.

Shelly was propped up against the pillows looking pale and drained, and slightly confused. Dean was holding a glass of water and helping her to drink from the glass.

"Hi there," Kelly whispered in a cheerful tone. "How are you feeling?"

Shelly smiled absently at her, and her brow furrowed slightly.

"I... I'm not sure... what happened?"

Kelly walked into the room fully. "You suffered a migraine attack at work, love. Dean here brought you to his place and after you had taken your painkillers and passed out, he phoned me for a little bit of advice," she told her in a quiet voice.

Shelly smiled a little. "And you came running. Thank you -- both of you for taking care of me," she whispered.

"Always." Dean muttered gruffly.

"As he said," Kelly agreed with a flash of her dimples.

It was about an hour later when Dean showed Kelly to the door. Shelly was once again in a deep sleep, once she had been helped across to the on-suite bathroom and left to relieve herself and freshen up a little, she had almost stumbled across to the bed again, would have stumbled across had Dean not swept her up and carried her gently back to the bed.

All the same she had looked decidedly grey and had been physically trembling as she sunk down almost desperately to escape once more into the peaceful oblivion.

"I'll pop back tomorrow lunch time, just to check, but don't hesitate to call me before then, if you have any concerns -- any at all I am only a phone call away."

"I promise," he nodded.

He closed the door on Kelly and walked through to stand in the doorway and stare broodingly at the sleeping figure, in his bed.

He knew now beyond a shadow of a doubt that Shelly was the one and only -- his one true love. All these sex games and casual interludes, whilst they had been fun -- hot and steamy; it was time, he decided, for them to get serious.


Chapter Nineteen

Dean spent the next morning, treating Shelly like she was a fragile, helpless, invalid.

He barely let her out of the bed, other than to use the bathroom, and when she declared that she was hungry, he insisted on bringing her breakfast into her on a tray and would have sat there, spoon feeding her -- had she not flatly refused to eat anything in that way.

She had woken up that morning feeling slightly lightheaded and wrung out, but blissfully pain free and mostly alert.

By the mid-morning she was feeling pretty much back to normal, and more than ready to get out of bed and resume her life.

Dean had other ideas.

"You need to rest," he informed her firmly.

"I have rested! I have slept for more than twelve hours and I have spent the bulk of this morning 'resting' in this bed... and now I am ready to get up and get dressed."

"No."

"No?" she raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

"No, you need to rest and get back to full strength, then and only then will I let you get up and about."

She looked down at her hand, and her tongue touched her top lip.

She peeped up at him and Dean let out a small groan of anguish. He knew exactly what she was thinking.

"Perhaps you could come and join me then?" she murmured huskily, allowing the cover to fall away and show more than a little of her bare flesh. "Maybe keep me company -- keep me entertained?"

"Shelly... I don't think..."

The buzz of his door, had him sighing loudly in obvious relief.

"That is probably your cousin." he told her thankfully.

Shelly watched him retreating with a sense of chagrin, he didn't want her anymore!

Her bout of illness and frailty had left him cold -- just like Malcolm her ex.

Malcolm had always beat a hasty retreat at even a hint of illness, and she had always been left to take care of herself. Fortunately, she was only rarely ill and usually it would just be a mild cold or something; but even a sniffle had Malcolm running home to mother until she was completely well -- and germ free again.

Dean had stuck around to take care of her though, so she had to give him credit for that; but now, now it seemed like he no longer saw her as an attractive sexual woman -- but more of an invalid that he was obliged to care for.

His attitude towards her all morning had been painful asexual, and she felt the loss of their flirtatious relationship keenly.

Kelly strode through with a bright smile.

"Oh, good you are feeling better I see!" she exclaimed jovially.

"Yes, yes I am much better... where is Dean?"

"Dean? He said he needed to nip out, said that since I was here to keep an eye on you, then he would take the opportunity to run a couple of errands..." Kelly frowned at the sound of anxiousness in her cousin's voice. "Why? Do you want me to go and call him back?"

"No... No, I want, Kelly I need to get out of here -- before he comes back, please Kelly, you have to help me to get dressed and get out of here!"

Kelly's frown deepened to open concern. "Why, Shelly; what has he done to you?"

"Nothing, oh honestly nothing, Kelly; but I hate that he saw me like this -- I feel so weak... so humiliated; I can't stay here a moment longer with him nurse-maiding me like this!"

She threw back the cover and stumbled from the bed, and Kelly automatically stepped forward to catch her.

"No time for that!" Shelly snapped. "Where are my things?"

Kelly sighed as she heard the desperation in her cousin's voice. She had been so convinced that Dean what the right sort of guy for Shelly, but now all of a sudden it seemed he was anything but.

"Ok Shelly," she said calmly. "You sit on the bed and I will fetch your bag.

Five minutes later she was guiding her cousin out of the apartment and across to the elevators. And soon after that, away from the apartment block -- and Dean.

**

Dean was whistling as he stepped out of the elevator, shopping bag and flowers in hand.

He planned a romantic dinner for the two of them tonight, complete with candles and crystal glasses. He would open up the rarely used dining room, and after helping Shelly to dress, he would slowly and gently spend the evening seducing her.

He would wine and dine her and then carry her back to his -- their bed and spend the night making slow gentle love to her.

He would make her feel cherished and loved.

The silence in his apartment was the first thing he noticed on his return.

His heart flipped over in his chest and he strode through with a deep gut-wrenching sinking feeling.

"Shelly?"

The bedroom was empty of course, and the silence was absolute.

His phone suddenly beeped at him and he knew who the text was from immediately.

'So sorry I did not wait for your return, I decided to go away for a few days -- to recuperate, and I had to rush to catch the only train running today. Thank you so much for taking care of me, and for being so kind. I am sure we will meet up again sometime. Shelly.'

Of course, it told him nothing, and he just knew that phoning her would yield no reply.

He did not know what had gone wrong -- but his sixth sense was going into overdrive and he had the heart-breaking feeling that he had just been dumped.

He dropped his phone onto the sofa and took the flowers into the kitchen to dispose of them.

*

"I can't just leave you here on your own," Kelly said stubbornly.

"Yes of course you can," Shelly smiled stiffly. "I am perfectly well now, as long as I don't start overexerting myself, and I just need a little time and space to myself now."

"Well, if you are sure?" Kelly finally murmured doubtfully.

"I am... I promise if I start to feel even a little whoosy -- which I won't. I will call you first and immediately."

"Well... okay then," Kelly sighed. "But I shall call you a little later -- just to make sure."

"If it sets your mind at ease," Shelly nodded her resigned acceptance.

Kelly had hung around for more than half an hour, offering to make them some lunch -- or something, anything to keep her here with Shelly for a little bit longer -- just to be sure that she was okay.

Shelly had refused and seeing that the only way to get rid of Kelly was to show her that she was self-sufficient, she had made them a pot of tea and they sat at the kitchen table sipping it.

Kelly made a couple of attempts at talking about Dean, but Shelly cut her off, dead, and so in the end she had to give up and leave her cousin to work through her problem alone.

After Kelly reluctantly left, Shelly sighed and slipped into her coat.

She had just used up the last of the milk on their tea, and now she needed more, if she wanted any tea, coffee or cereal at any point.

She picked up her handbag and pulled open the front door.

"Missed your train?" Dean demanded sarcastically.

He was leaning against the wall, and his dark eyes were hard little agates, and his lips were an angry thin line.

She had the grace to blush guiltily and he could not help but admire how beautiful she was -- and how healthy she looked after the last awful hours of seeing her so ill and pale and in pain.

"Hello again Dean," she sighed as she tried to step out.

He blocked her path and moved forward to muscle his way and her into the house.

"What on earth are you doing -- oh why did you come here?" she demanded shrilly.

"I came here for an explanation."

"An explanation? What for?"

"For why you ran out on me -- why you lied to me?"

"I didn't... I wouldn't..."

"You would and you did, and now I want to know why?" he cut her off.

He stepped forward and she backed up and he kicked the front door with his foot, closing the two of them inside.

Shelly looked up at him all anger and steely eyes and the tears welled up in her own.

He could see that she was still not totally right with her world, and his hard eyes softened, and he relaxed his shoulders with a sigh.

"Please, Shelly, talk to me!"

"I am so sorry," she whispered on a sob. "I didn't know what to do -- I... you... you didn't want me anymore -- I could see it in your face, in your attitude -- you saw me as something... damaged I think!"

She put her hand up to her face and the sobs began deep within her. All the years of loss and pain and betrayal -- everything seemed to come crashing in on her and once the sobs started -- she just could not stop them.

Dean stood mortified that he had caused this reaction in her.

"Shelly!" he exclaimed anxiously as he reached for her and scooped her into his arms. "Shelly no... it wasn't like that I... I..."

He strode into the living room carrying her with him, and dropped down onto the sofa, holding her on his lap and hugging her tight.

"Please, honey... baby, I do want you -- you are not damaged you are perfect -- I love you... please don't cry."

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled through the sobs. "It's not you -- not really -- I know I was being silly -- I... I!"

Try as she might, she could not seem to stem the flow of tears, but Dean simply held her tight, as if he realised that she needed this release. He began to murmur soothing sounds.

"Easy, now baby!" he whispered. "It's alright... I've got you, darling..."

How long they sat there with Shelly sobbing then sniffling then slowly calming down, how long he held her whilst she tried to bring back her self-control.

Afterwards Shelly could not say how long they sat there for, but it was in those seconds -- minutes -- hours, that she knew that he was her man, the man she would marry and live happily ever after with.

Dean was everything she would ever need in a partner; he was her perfect soul mate, he loved her whether she was happy or sad or healthy -- or not.

Even when she fell silent finally, Dean continued to hold her and rock her gently and whisper soothing nothings.

"I'm very sorry, for running out on you earlier." she whispered brokenly.

"And I am even more sorry for making you cry." Dean murmured back and Shelly clearly heard the anguish in his voice.

She sat up so that she could look him in the face.

"But you didn't!" she protested earnestly. "Not really... it was brewing in me for a while now... I think after the migraine attack, I was more run down than I realised. I just needed something -- anything to set it off... and I'm very sorry to say that you were here to witness it all." she smiled a stiff little smile and her lip wobbled slightly. "I can honestly say, Dean, that you have probably seen the worst of me these last couple of days!"

As she sat there trying to be brave and earnest, with her hair all askew and her eyes red from crying, her cheeks were pale but mottled with tears stains, and she look absolutely earth shatteringly beautiful to him.

"Babe," he murmured huskily. "If that is your worst, then you are the best woman for me, my perfect soul mate!"


Chapter Twenty

He let himself back into the house, having fetched fresh milk, and then set about making a pot of tea, whilst Shelly showered and changed, and repacked her holdall so that she could come and spend the night at his.

He smiled as he reviewed his plans for the evening. Yes, the meal would go ahead, and he would make sure that she relaxed whilst he cooked.

After the meal... well after the meal; he would take great delight in proving to Shelly just how much he still desired her!

Shelly curled up on his sofa and watched as he moved around drawing the blinds and switching on the lamps rather than the light.

"Do you want to watch the television?" Dean asked her softly.

Shelly smiled. "No thank you, I would rather sit in the kitchen and keep you company."

"No, I want you to relax in here -- I shan't be long in there and I want you to enjoy my efforts by feeling well rested."

She was going to argue that she really was fine, but then she realised that he was really trying to make it special for her and her resistance would just spoil it.

She smiled up at him. "I should enjoy listening to a little music perhaps?" she said sitting back and making herself comfortable again. "And maybe a glass of wine?"

"As my lady so wishes." Dean all but beamed at her.

His evening was everything he planned, and Shelly blossomed under his loving attention.

When they retired to his bedroom, he tenderly undressed her, making sure that she knew just how beautiful and desirable he found her.

He took his time pleasuring her, knowing by now exactly what to do to excite her.

Shelly squirmed and sighed and cooed and her low guttural cries when she orgasmed, excited him to the point where he could no longer abstain.

"I'm sorry baby, I... I just can't resist you anymore!"

He slid easily into her and her eyes lit up with some emotion as she wrapped her arms and then her legs around him.

"Then don't, my love," she whispered softly. "Show me again how much you need and want me!"

**

The sun streamed through the closed blinds, and Shelly's stretched and then turned over.

"Good morning, beautiful," Dean said from where he was lying watching her, and obviously waiting for her to wake up.