A Fool Stumbles Into Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Cal got back out of the truck and climbed back up on the porch. Though the storm door was closed, the main door was still open, and the top of the storm door had the screen, not glass, in.

He knocked very softly. Shit, what a coward, He called in through the door, "Maureen?"

There was no answer.

"Maureen" He called a little louder.

Still no answer.

He opened the screen door and stepped inside the kitchen. He hoped nobody would think he was breaking in. Shit that was stupid. What did he care whether people thought he was breaking in. He yelled a little louder, "Maureen?"

Maureen heard him through the door. She didn't know what to do. She got up and sat on the side of the bed. She took the top of her pajamas and wiped her eyes, and walked back out to the kitchen.

She saw him in the kitchen. She could tell right away he was back to apologize, "Yes?"

He was still too stupid to move. Rooted to the floor in the middle of the kitchen he said, "You're right."

"About what?"

He almost broke into tears, "I've never been with anybody." He sort of held up his hands, not out up, but up, "You're right. I'm a virgin. Never had a girl, never even come close."

Maureen was afraid to approach hm. He looked like he was ready to run away. She held the fingers of both her hands up over her mouth and nose. She didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or jump up and down. She stood very still and held up one hand. With that hand she held up two fingers, "I'm twenty-four years old, and this is how many; two in twenty-four years."

Cal was mixed up, "Two what?"

Maureen should have known, "Two guys asshole."

Cal smiled. He was so relieved. This was great. They were still talking. That was greater. They were talking about something no one ever talked about. Even better, the best! They were saying things that were, that were just, just never shared. Never shared, except by, well except by people who, well; why couldn't he get through it. How could he tell her what he wanted to say, when he couldn't even get it right in his head.

Cal sat back down in the chair he'd been in a few minutes earlier, "I'm so confused, really fucked up." He blushed, "I didn't mean that, the word I mean."

Maureen came over pulled the chair she'd been sitting on so it was beside his. She ignored the profanity. She sat down, and took his two hands, "What now?"

He held her hands in his. He was afraid he was going to start crying. He felt nervous, quivery all over, "Maureen you're so perfect. Why would you ever be interested in somebody like me?"

She squeezed his hands together. She held his hands tightly. It was her turn to be confounded. What could she say that would sound sincere? Be what she wanted to convey. She squeezed his hands even tighter, "I'm not perfect. I'm kind of fat..."

He tried to interrupt, "You! Your not..."

She put a hand on his mouth. She had an idea, "You look at me and see what you want. I know the real Maureen. That goes both ways. You only think of the worst in yourself, but there' so much more. I said I only had sex with two boys, that didn't mean I only dated two. Most guys are arrogant self absorbed creeps. You're not like that. You have no idea what I see when I look at you."

She redirected, "Look you're cute, kind of handsome. But you're sweet, and you're considerate. You have a way about you. I mean I like being with you. You're interesting, and you're smart, and you're fun. I see you and I feel like I want to cuddle. You have this solid but soft way about you."

She hesitated again, "And I want to kiss you."

She leaned forward. Just holding hands they kissed again; a long lingering kiss. When they parted their lips made a little smacking sound. They leaned in again and kissed again. The only parts of their bodies that were touching were their hands and their lips.

Finally she got up. It was getting late and her mother would be getting home, "I have to get dressed."

He was surprised. He felt a little afraid, "Can we go out together?"

She leaned back over and kissed him again, "You wait here. I want you to take me for a ride in your truck."

He felt like he was sixteen again, "You bet!"

Maureen stepped back in her bedroom. She figured there was little chance of any love making this afternoon. Maybe something might happen later. She fished around in her drawers for something to wear; something that would knock his socks off.

She called out to Cal, "I'll be a few minutes. I have to take a shower first."

He yelled back, "Take your time. I'm going outside to check the supplies."

Maureen went back in to her bedroom get ready. Her bedroom was on the first floor. It had always been downstairs. She showered, shampooed her hair, shaved her legs and underarms, then in wild act of stupidity she got a hair up her ass and shaved around her vagina and trimmed the rest kind of close. She thought, 'I hope he likes this.' Then she chuckled, 'if he ever gets up the nerve to get that far.'

Drying off she combed out her hair and tied it back in a loose pony tail. She tied a red ribbon in it for effect.

Searching through her bureau she found a white silk bra she'd bought that had minimal support. She'd bought the bra a few months ago as a token of rebellion; rebellion against what exactly she didn't know. She put it on. Yes, she decided this is what she wanted; something that would let her boobs to bounce around a little.

She plowed through her middle bureau drawers but found nothing so she went to the closet. There was something in there she'd bought months ago, but had been afraid to wear. She got it out. For starters there was a white cotton blouse, a V-neck with short capped sleeves that would fit loosely over the bra. She slipped it on. Yes, she said to herself, if she kept the top buttons undone he'd get to feast on what she considered was some pretty good cleavage.

Attached to the hanger with the blouse was a dark blue fiercely pleated miniskirt. Maureen thought fiercely pleated because the material was so light weight, and there were so many pleats the thing flipped and flew around with every step. She thought her legs were heavier than they should be; a result of too many work out sessions, and she'd always been reluctant to let them show without the support of stiff nylons or pantyhose. Not today though, today she was going to let it all hang out. She pulled it up, fastened the buttons on the side, and tightened the matching dark blue belt. The belt had a cloth buckle so nothing would detract from the flirtatiousness of the skirt.

She needed panties, stockings, and shoes. In the bureau she found the dark panties she'd bought to go with the skirt and the dark blue knee high stockings. She slipped into the panties and pulled on the stockings. This was a big step for her; unsupported exposed legs not covered by slacks, a long skirt, or longish shorts. She wondered; would he really like her fat legs? Then to the closet where she found the matching two inch leather high heeled shoes.

Fully dressed she checked herself out in the mirror. Something was wrong. It was the hair ribbon. She unfastened the red ribbon and fished a dark blue one from her bureau. Tying that in her hair she looked again. Yes!

To the make up chest. She applied some red lipstick and covered it with gloss. Then some pink cheek blush, a little pale blue eye shadow, some dark mascara, and she checked the mirror. Great!

She went to her jewelry box, got out her small gold hoops and looped them through her single piercing. She slipped on her gold wrist watch, a gold necklace, and a gold bracelet. She grabbed her cell phone and made a call to the hair dressers. Yes they could get someone in.

She was done. Walking as casually as she could she slipped into the backyard, "I'm ready."

Cal turned around, and looked at Maureen. From head to foot she looked like a mirage. Nobody could be that beautiful, "Wow Maureen. I feel like an idiot. You don't want to be seen with me."

She walked over and took his arm, "Yes I do. Come on."

Together they walked to the pick up. He held her door and helped her in. The truck was a full sized job so she had to step up to get in. He caught a glimpse of her panties, and a full view of her lovely thighs. He gulped. The way her breasts heaved when she breathed was giving him emotional fits. How was he going to be able to drive along with her beside him? Shit, and he had bench seats.

Cal walked around, got in, and started the truck, "Where do you want to go?"

"First, we're going shopping."

Cal asked, "Yeah, where?"

She answered, "I'll show you." Maureen told him to go to the mall north of town. This was the larger of the two malls in their area, and it had the more upscale stores. This was where the country club crew did their shopping, and it was where Maureen liked to hang out.

Cal said, "Hey that's kind of expensive up there."

Maureen touched his shoulder, "We're shopping for you today."

"Not there," he answered.

"Yes we are," she retorted.

He didn't argue. To be anywhere with Maureen was more than he ever hoped for. If she wanted to window shop at the expensive stores, that was cool by him. Still he would be an embarrassment. He felt like a big slug out with a beautiful fairy princess; his fairy princess. He knew that would sound stupid to most people, but he didn't care.

He warned her, "Look at me Maureen. I'm not dressed to be out someplace like the mall with you. You're all beautiful, and I'm all, well I'm ..."

She put her fingers to his mouth, "You're with me."

They drove along in his truck. He was glad he'd cleaned it out thoroughly the day before. Maggie had ridden in it, and her dog hair might have gotten on Maureen's clothes. He looked over at her while he drove. She had her window down, and the wind was frolicking through her hair. He could smell its freshness from his seat. The wind caught her miniskirt and made it flit up. He loved the view of her muscular upper legs. He almost ran off the road he was so mesmerized by her appearance.

He told her, "You know what I'd like to do right now?"

She smiled at him, "No what?"

"I'd like to pull over and just look at you."

She answered, "Well don't. You can look at me in the mall."

They drove on in silence. He kept thinking what he should say and do, but nothing came out. He was totally out of his element.

They reached the mall, and he parked the truck. He got out, walked around, and helped her from the truck. They walked across the parking lot side by side. Maureen put her arm around his waist, and made him put his arm around her shoulders.

Cal was a lot taller than she was; taller by an easy eight inches. Her head barely came up to his shoulder. She fit nicely beside him. She walked in a very unique; kind of a shambling gait that made her hips swish. He liked it. He thought it made her sexier than she already was.

Neither did anything as they walked. He got a top view of her head, saw the ribbon, felt her hair fly around his shoulder and up under his face. He could look right down and see her breasts. Man they were gorgeous. He kept wondering what he was doing with a girl like this. He knew in a minute he'd either wake up and be home in bed, or she'd wake up, see who she was with and demand to be taken home.

He had to be dreaming. This couldn't be happening to him.

They got to the mall doors. He held one open for her to pass through. She took his hand and led him to the most expensive store in the place. They went straight to the mens' clothing area.

Once in the mens' area Maureen used her finger to summon a salesperson. A middle aged man came over.

Maureen pointed at Cal, "He needs to be measured."

The salesman asked, "For anything in particular?"

Maureen answered, "Measure him for everything. We'll start with a couple suits and two sports coats, but I want four pairs of slacks, seven, no eight dress shirts, six or seven casuals, three belts, two pairs of dress shoes, one pair black, one brown. Make them wing tips. I want a couple pull over sweaters. Let's say a dozen sets of socks, all dark brown, dark blue, or black. "

She looked at the salesman, "What else do you think?"

The salesman replied, "Do you need underwear? I was thinking of some pullover shirts. How about some shorts."

Maureen replied, "Yes, yes. But I don't want those stupid pull over shirts with the phony cloth collars. Do you have any simple V-necked shirts, regular colored T-shirts, and how about some boat necked shirts. And he wears boxer undershorts, none of those jockey things that look like a man's diaper."

The salesman smiled, "Yes ma'am, we have it all."

"Good" said Maureen, "You get him measured while I pick out the suits and all the other things."

The salesman answered, "Yes ma'am."

Cal asked, "Do I have a say in this?"

Maureen smiled at him. She took her right hand, grabbed his chin, and shook it back and forth, "No you don't have a say, so don't try."

He smiled and imitated the salesman, "Yes ma'am."

Maureen drifted off, checking through the racks for materials and objects.

While she slipped away the salesman asked Cal, "Is she your girlfriend or a sister?"

Cal smiled at the salesman, "Right now I can't exactly say what she is. She sure isn't my sister, and I'm too afraid to risk calling her my girlfriend, though I want her to be."

The salesman commented, "She seems to know what she wants."

Cal gave the salesman a conspiratorial grin, "She does doesn't she. She thinks she wants me. I keep thinking this is all a dream, she'll wake up, or I'll wake up, and it'll all vanish. You know what else. I think I better marry this girl before she gets away."

The salesman gave a nod and a smile, "You could do a lot worse."

Cal and Maureen spent close to three hours wandering the aisles of the clothing store. Maureen bought the place out. By the time they'd finished they needed a large laundry cart to get it all out to the truck. Not everything was ready; the suits, sports jackets and some of the slacks still had to be sewn, but most of the stuff was ready to go.

Among the last things Maureen bought included a dark blue boat neck pullover shirt, a pair of dark casual shoes, and a pair of black jeans. She made Cal put those last things on. When they walked out to his truck they looked like they were a matched set.

Back out in the truck Maureen checked her watch. "We have to get you to the beauty shop."

Cal looked at her incredulously, "The what?"

"I made an appointment for you to get a hair cut."

He looked at her askance, "I don't need a hair cut."

She reached over from her seat on the passenger's side and scuffed his head, "Yes you do."

He answered, "I didn't think I did."

She smiled, still scuffing his hair, "I said you do."

He smiled, "If you say so."

They went to the hairdresser's and Maureen supervised while the hairdresser gave Cal the kind of cut she wanted. Very little hair actually came off, but when it was finished he had a totally different look. Gone was the shaggy dog, and from the discarded hair a man emerged.

They returned to the truck where Maureen announced, "I'm hungry. Take me some place nice."

Cal thought it over, thought he could take her to the same restaurant he'd taken Sandy, but decided that wasn't nice enough so he took her to the most expensive place on the north end of town. They were lucky, and though there was a waiting line, they didn't have to sit around too long.

At the restaurant Cal waited for Maureen to decide. He remembered Sandy's choice had been lobster, and it had nearly wiped him out. Maureen chose a poultry dish, one of the low end entrées.

He wasn't really surprised. He'd already figured Maureen was the type who wouldn't break the bank.

Dinner went surprisingly fast. Once they started talking almost everything came up. Still, most of the talk was superficial. When Cal asked Maureen about college she was particularly quiet. When he asked her if she had any long term plans she was equally reticent to say very much. Cal thought he'd get to that stuff later.

Maureen enjoyed having dinner with Cal. She knew she would. He was such an interesting conversationalist. She steered him away from some of the more personal stuff he asked about her. She thought she might bring it up some time in the future. She didn't want to say anything that might scare him off. She avoided any comments about sex. He'd get to that on his own time. She could wait. She was also careful not to get into what his long range plans were; partly because she'd already started contemplating what his future was going to look like. She didn't want to find something out that might be contradictory to her aims for him. She didn't ever want him to think she manipulated him away from what he wanted, but she was already making plans.

After dinner he drove her back to her parents' house. He walked her up to the front and started to kiss her good night.

Before Cal got to make an exit Maureen asked, "Have you made any plans for tomorrow?"

He responded, "Tomorrow's a work day, and I have a project I'm working on that's almost finished. I'll be done by 4:00. Did you want to do anything?"

Maureen, looking off in the distance, answered, "I want you to take me to the tavern."

Cal blushed. The tavern was the last place he wanted to go. Lately the only memories he had of the place were bad. He said, "We should get the footers in on the gazebo tomorrow, but if you'd rather go to the tavern I can be by around 6:00. What do you think I should wear?"

Maureen answered, "I want to go to the tavern. Wear a new pair of slacks, your new causal shoes, one of the new V-necked shirts I bought, and that spicy cologne you've been wearing. I like that."

He answered, "OK, I'll be by at 6:00, but we've got to get started on your gazebo soon; that is if you still want to surprise your father." He held her hands in his. He leaned over and kissed her, "Till tomorrow night." He skipped down to his truck, whistling and feeling light headed. He got in and left.

Maureen watched him leave; then went inside.

Her mother was in the kitchen. She asked, "Who was that Maureen?"

Maureen answered, "Sit down mom. I'll tell you."

Maureen's mother was exactly twenty years older, so at forty-three she was still a pretty good looker. Maureen was their only child, and all throughout her growing up years she'd been given just about anything she wanted. Spoiled rotten might have been the phrase for Maureen, if there hadn't been other circumstances.

Maureen was certainly a beautiful young woman, but her life hadn't been exactly all roses and sugar cookies. When she was scarcely four years old she was in the backyard, the very backyard where she and Cal were going to build her dad a gazebo, when a tree branch broke off one of the old maples they'd had. The branch fell on Maureen and the tricycle. It was the damnedest and most disheartening accident. It had broken both Maureen's legs; just barely missing her back. If it had hit her back the doctors had told them she'd never walk again. As it was the broken legs took years to mend properly. It had taken a dozen surgeries, years of therapy and tons of money her parents didn't have.

Maureen lived with the pain and the lack of mobility for years. The impact on her personality had been profound. She became exceedingly self conscious. Her self-confidence for years had been almost nonexistent, and friends, considering her house bound status, had been few and far between.

In many ways the accident has served to make her stronger, but in other ways her mother still saw her as something of a cripple. When Maureen had been in high school she'd tried extremely hard to fit in, but her social skills, owing to her long absences, were lacking. Many of the boys and girls her own age were unnecessarily cruel. Their cruelty impacted her in ways her parents had never foreseen. Maureen was pretty, but some of the boys had been vicious. By the time Maureen was a senior in high school her parents had seen she'd just about sworn off on the opposite sex, and for that matter any social life, just about altogether.