A Glimpse of Emerald

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's max damage plus your normal damage roll. So 12 points + 4 for your Strength, then 2d6+4 for your damage roll on top of it."

Cameron remained standing while shaking a pair of six-sided dice in one hand. "Come on," he prayed to the gods of luck and dramatic narrative, "last time pays for all." He threw the dice into the tray. As they rolled to a stop Cameron's eyes went wide. "12!" He motioned wildly to the dice tray while exclaiming, "16 points total! Max damage plus max damage!"

"32 points of damage. Nice." The only sound in the store was the scribble of Mark's pen behind the DM screen. He paused for effect, holding the silence just long enough for it to become unbearable, before looking up and asking Cameron, "how do you want to do this?"

The table went nuts, some of the players cheering wildly while others rubbed their faces in relief, with Evelyn offering a simple nod of approval and the newspaper reporter discreetly snapping pictures with their digital camera. Cameron spun towards Peri, making a celebratory motion with both fists before pulling up the sleeve of his t-shirt. She couldn't help but laugh as Cameron slapped the multi-colored tattoo of Tiamat on his shoulder like a basketball player who had just sunk the game winning shot.

"OK," Cameron said after catching his breath and turning back towards the table. "OK. Vilmon, covered in dust, grime, and the blood of his companions, steps forward and takes a mighty swing. His broadsword catches the dracodile in the neck, knocking the head to one side and exposing its shoulder joint. Crying out to his god for assistance, Vilmon's second attack sees him plunging the sword where the dracodile's neck meets its shoulder."

Mark nodded in approval. "The tip of Vilmon's blade finds the beast's heart and manages to skewer it. When you pull the sword free, green blood pumps from the wound as the dracodile sways on its feet for a moment before collapsing to the ground, nothing more than a scaly corpse."

Sally clenched her fist towards Cameron. "That was a clutch roll, dude." Cameron could only smile and nod in appreciation towards his fellow player.

"Indeed. Well played, Cameron," chimed Evelyn from the seat next to him.

"Yeah, good job everyone." Mark's praise turned into a yawn by the end of the sentence. "It's one minute to midnight so I'm going to narrate the rest. Vilmon, you untie the princess while the rest of the party helps everyone back to their feet. As you do so, the temple starts to shake, and you all hear a distant rumble. Through a hole in the ceiling, you all see the volcano in the center of the island is beginning to erupt, throwing rock into the air and spilling lava down the mountain. You race from the temple and run through the jungle as fast as you can, making it to the beach and rowing away from shore before the pyroclastic cloud can overtake you. You reach the ship, get pulled onboard, and as you sail away, you see the island collapse in a cloud of gray ash, swallowed by the sea and given over once more to history. And that's where we'll end."

Peri took a handful of final donations from the customers before they departed, while Mark and the rest of the players began packing up the table. By the time Peri finished cashing out the register for the evening, everything had been put away and Mark was thanking his players. "You were fantastic," he told Cameron while shaking his hand eagerly. "If you ever want to play full time, let me know. My table's full at the moment but I'll tag you the next time a spot opens up."

"I had a memorable experience playing beside you," added Evelyn. "Should you visit Pike's while I am there, I would be happy to buy you a libation of your choice. Thank you everyone for a most enjoyable twenty-five hours. Have a pleasant evening." She gave a gentle wave before heading for the door.

Evelyn's goodbye was the catalyst for everyone's departure, eventually leaving Peri and Cameron alone in the Dragon's Trove. "So," she smiled after locking the front door, "did you have fun?"

"Hell yeah." There were bags forming under his eyes, and at one point he had told her that he could feel his kidneys protesting the four Bang energy drinks he had chugged, but at the moment Cameron looked to Peri like someone who had just beaten the world. "It's nice to know that I can still pull an all-nighter if I want to. How are you holding up?"

"See these dollar signs in my eyes? They represent profits. Plus we pulled in almost $400 in donations from walk-ins alone, not counting player sponsors." Her arms fell around Cameron's shoulders. She leaned forward, casually pinning him against the glass counter. "And I'm kinda in the mood to celebrate."

"Well," he responded while wrapping his arms around her, "I am too wired to be tired. Let's lock up and get back to your apartment..."

Cameron suddenly gasped as Peri slid her hand underneath the waistband of his jeans. "I don't think I can wait that long." Her fingers wrapped around his penis. She gave it a gentle squeeze, drawing another low gasp from her boyfriend. "I've owned this store for six years and I've never once fooled around in here."

"I...not here..."

"Why? Afraid we'll get caught?"

"Yeah." Cameron gently took hold of Peri's wrist, stopping her from stroking his stiffening manhood. "A sheriff's deputy walks by, we get written up for public indecency, and that ticket goes in the system. I'm sure the people looking for me have friends in law enforcement who'll see my name pop up and let them know exactly where I am."

"Damn. You're right." Peri gently pulled her hand from Cameron's pants. "Sorry, I didn't think about that. My apartment then?"

Cameron suddenly scooped Peri up in his arms. She giggled in surprise, playfully demanding he put her down as he carried her to the back of the Dragon's Trove. He opened the door to the storeroom, but before he could turn on the lights Peri reached out with her leg and flicked the switch herself. "I was thinking back here," he told her while closing the door behind him. "I know it's not romantic but..."

"I am so not in the mood for romance," she told him. "Right now I just want laid." Cameron gently set her down. As soon as she had both feet on the ground, Peri lunged forward and pinned him against the storeroom door. Despite both of them having been awake for nearly thirty hours, the hormones flowing through the pair of lovers were stronger than adrenaline. After furiously making out for several minutes, their hands roaming each other's bodies, Peri gestured at a thick cloth tarp hanging on a nearby shelf. "Take off your clothes," she ordered Cameron, "and stand on that tarp."

Cameron blinked at the firmness in Peri's voice, but he did as she commanded. Peri also began to strip. By the time she had thrown her panties on top of her pile of clothing, Cameron was standing on the unfolded tarp. The mere sight of him naked, with his lean muscles, the beginning of a Colorado tan, and his granite manhood thrusting into the air, sent a wickedly delicious charge through Peri. Before Cameron could say a word she had walked over to the tarp, dropped to her knees in front of him, and taken him into her mouth.

She could feel Cameron's entire body tense. One hand cradled him while the other rested against his stomach. Using only her lips and tongue, Peri coaxed every possible ounce of hardness from Cameron. She wanted him unyielding when he was inside of her already soaked womanhood. Once she was satisfied, Peri pulled away and looked up at her lover, who returned her stare with smoldering eyes.

No words needed to be spoken. Peri fished a condom from her coin purse and handed it to Cameron, who ripped the foil package open with urgent need. By the time he had rolled the condom down his length Peri had crawled onto the tarp. She lay on her stomach, resting on her elbows, her hips lifted into the air, legs spread. She moaned eagerly as she felt Cameron's tongue between her legs for a moment before he pressed the tip of his erect penis against her. He sunk into her with ease, causing Peri to hiss with satisfaction.

With his hands on her butt for leverage, Cameron quickly began driving in and out of her. Arching her back at the bolts of pleasure generated by the friction of Cameron's steel pushing against her velvet walls, Peri was like a cat in heat. Her blue eyes were wide with pleasure. She clutched at the tarp, pushing herself back against Cameron to meet his smashing thrusts. His hips slammed against her, driving her forward, causing her stiff nipples to drag against the rough cloth and amplify the electricity racing through her.

Peri had always leaned towards the dirty, more primal side of sex, and Cameron was turning out to be a lover who satisfied that craving. An explosive orgasm rocketed towards her, causing her to moan lewdly as she got taken from behind in the backroom of her own store. She barely managed to cry out Cameron's name before screaming in pure ecstasy. Cameron was a runaway train, thrusting into her without mercy. When Peri felt him grab her hair, she almost quickened a second time as he twisted her blonde strands between his fingers.

It was a strong, continuous, rolling current of pleasure that ran through Peri as her lover took her, roughly. Eventually he began groaning in a familiar manner. This time he called out Peri's name before shoving himself deep inside of her. For a brief moment Peri wished there wasn't a layer of latex between his essence and hers, but clarity soon reasserted itself. She felt incredibly empty when Cameron pulled out of her. He flopped onto his back, breathing like he had just climbed a mountain, while she stretched her arms out, relishing the delicious soreness between her legs.

"Where did that come from," she heard Cameron inquire.

"The knight who rescues the princess deserves a reward." Peri rested her hands under her chin. "The damsel-in-distress thing is all kinds of regressive, but it got you laid, didn't it?"

"I wasn't complaining," he countered.

"Neither am I. I liked watching you play. You had your moments, let other players have their moments, and got the killing blow on the Big Bad. And the opportunity to corrupt a Paladin was a major turn-on." Her joke elicited a loud boisterous laugh from Cameron that she joined in with. "Besides," she added, "I was a little jealous of Evelyn. Just a little."

"She is WAY too spooky for my taste. Plus if you put a suit of leather armor on her boyfriend and gave him a club he could pass for a damn bugbear." Cameron rolled onto his side and lightly scratched the back of Peri's neck, causing her to hum approvingly. "How the hell did we end up together? Why didn't some guy snatch you up a long time ago?"

Peri responded by rolling onto her back. She lifted her scarred arm into the before answering, "I have no idea. Maybe they didn't want to get burned."

"Oh my God. How long have you been waiting to use that joke?"

"Longer than I can remember." She gently ran a finger down Cameron's chest. "The store takes up most of my time and it's tough finding someone who could work around that schedule. Plus...some people can't see past my burns. They believe I'm less of a woman or that I need to be taken care of all the time." Sarcastic laughter burst from her lips. "And then there was this one guy who thought I was brave just because I got out of bed in the morning. You, though? You see me as a woman, not a woman with burns over half her body. You are one of the most genuine people I've ever met, Cameron. The multiple orgasms don't hurt, either."

Cameron shook his head. "Happy to be of service. So, we've been on a couple of dates, I've slept over at your apartment, we've had mind-blowing sex on numerous ocassions, and tonight you saw me roleplay. I like seeing you. I'd...like for you and I to be officially dating."

Peri's heart soared at Cameron's statement, until her brain pulled her back down like a lead weight. "I'd like that too," she admitted. "But that means your world's going to open up. You're going to have to meet my brother. My parents. Mark's gonna tease you. And Emerald Pines IS a small town. Locals who currently overlook you are going to instantly know you as the guy dating that blonde girl with the burned face. All it takes is the wrong question or someone getting curious and you might be on the run again."

Apprehension crossed Cameron's face for a brief moment. "Eh, screw it. Didn't you say the world ends at Aspen? As long as we're careful, it's a risk I'm willing to take if you are. I told you I trusted you, Peri. I'm willing to open up my book for you."

"No fair using my words against me." Peri kissed the tip of Cameron's nose. "OK. You and me. Officially. I'm on board."

"So NOW should we go back to your apartment to celebrate?"

"What," she teased, slowly climbing on top of him, "and waste this perfectly good moving tarp lying on a cold concrete floor?"

X X X X X

As the door to the Dragon's Trove opened, Mark threw his arms wide. "There he is!"

A cold blast of air blew into the store as Cameron stood in the doorway giving Mark a wary look. "Um...I am here...now?"

"Yeah you are!" Mark waved Cameron into the store as Peri, standing next to Mark behind the counter, gave her employee a bemused look. "I've been absolutely chomping at the bit all day waiting for you to come in."

Cameron gestured towards Mark. "Should I panic," he asked Peri.

"He's just being overdramatic," she answered.

"Don't worry," Mark said reassuringly. "There's just something I've wanted to tell you for a while, and today's the day I get to do it. Peri, give me a drum roll."

"No."

The casually dismissive manner of Peri's refusal caused Cameron to snort with laughter. "Fine," Mark groused. "Cameron 'Smith,'" he said, putting air quotes around the last name, "as Sapphire Drop is now officially open for ski season and you're still living here full time, by the power invested in me by no elected governing body I hereby bestow upon you the title of 'Townie of Emerald Pines' along with the utter lack of any power and privileges that come with it."

"It comes with one privilege," Peri offered. "Mark can now stop teasing me for dating a tourist."

"So where's the sword," inquired Cameron. "If you're giving me a title, don't you need to touch my shoulders with a sword?"

"I would, if it wasn't illegal to publicly carry a blade more than 3.5 inches long in this state. Which might be for the best, considering you and I are going drinking at Pike's later. " Mark gave Cameron a firm squeeze on the shoulder before stepping away to assist a new customer.

Peri raised an eyebrow towards her boyfriend. "You're going drinking?"

Cameron shrugged. "It's what you do the night before Thanksgiving. You go out drinking with your friends so you can handle eating with your family the next day."

"Don't get TOO drunk," she cautioned him. "I don't want you hungover when you meet my folks."

"Would you settle for slightly buzzed?"

"It'll be fine, Cameron. My folks are going to adore you. By the time dinner's over my Dad's going to be pestering my brother to hire you. Count on it." Peri reached over the counter and took Cameron by the chin. "But be honest," she said after giving him a light peck on the lips, "you're going out with Mark so you don't have to help out with dinner."

"Maybe. You've seen me try to cook. I'm the only guy who could roll a critical fumble trying to make cereal. The last time I tried to use your toaster it damn near bit my hand off."

"There's nothing in the rules that says Mimics can't be toasters," she teased. "Just keep your phone handy. Kenner's is open until 10 tonight, so I might text you to pick up something. Other than that, we'll be fine." Peri held up her left hand and flexed her scarred fingers. "What's the worst that could happen, right?" Cameron blinked at the sight of Peri's uncovered hand.

"Today felt like a glove-optional day," she explained before leaning close to whisper in his ear. "And it feels like a clothing-optional night. So as long as you don't get too drunk you could be the Sword in my Stone."

A shiver rolled over Peri as Cameron nipped at her earlobe. "If that's the case, when I pull out do I get crowned King of Emerald Pines?"

"Who said anything about pulling out? Today's my safe day."

"Now that's enough to get me home sober." Cameron leaned over the counter, drawing a last kiss from Peri, before calling out to Mark. "I'm gonna head to Pike's and grab us some seats before it gets crowded."

Mark waved in acknowledgment as he finished ringing up the customer. Once finished, he turned around and was granted the privilege of seeing Peri leaning on the counter, her chin in her hand and a dopey grin on her face. "Damn girl, if I put a plant within five feet of you that sucker would bloom. Nervous?"

"Not at all. My folks are going to be staying with my brother and his family in Aspen, so the pressure's off. All I have to do is help cook dinner and introduce Cameron to my parents. Whatever happens from there happens."

"You're cooking Thanksgiving dinner," Mark asked in disbelief. "Seriously, I'm calling for a Doppelganger check."

"I'm helping Ellie cook," she clarified. "She offered to host this year since Cameron's already living with her and her place is a lot bigger than my apartment. I'm heading up tonight to help prep and spending tomorrow afternoon helping with the cooking and cleaning. Who knows, maybe next year I'll cook the whole thing myself."

Mark joined Peri in leaning against the counter. "Well, I hope things go smooth tomorrow. Cameron's a good guy. I wish he'd open up a little more, but you said you guys talked so if you're cool, I'm cool. Besides, I haven't seen you this happy in a long time. You two must be doing something right." He tapped his fingers against the glass case. "So heads up, I'm going to ask Cameron if he wants to join my Sunday game. Sally's dropping out after New Year's and I figured he might want to fill her spot. That's why I asked him to go drinking tonight, so I could feel him out and see if he's interested."

Peri patted her friend's hand. "Oh, he'll be interested. I caught him making his own miniature on Dwarven Forge's website a few weeks ago. Hope you've got room for a Paladin in your game."

"If he wants to play his character from the charity game, I am all for it. You want me to start closing up so we can get out of here right at five?"

"I got it. I want to sweep and mop up anyway before we get crushed on Friday. Go ahead and take off now if you want."

"Alright. Happy Thanksgiving, Peri! Tell your folks I said hi!"

By the time Peri locked up the store, it was just after six o'clock and the sun was beginning to set behind the summit of Cathedral Peak. After an early spring and a pleasant summer and fall, winter had made its return alongside the returning locals and visiting tourists. The scarf covering Peri's face may have hidden her smile, but it only muffled the sound of her cheerful whistling as she began the several-block walk towards Nutmeg Street.

The twitchy paranoia of Cameron's initial days in town had given way to prudent caution as he slowly began crafting his new life in Colorado. Along the way they had struck the perfect balance between "inseparable" and "clingy." Some nights Peri would be sitting on her couch painting a miniature with Cameron curled up against the armrest, his nose buried in a role-playing book. Other days Peri would find herself outdoors, following Cameron as they hiked along the multitude of trails surrounding Emerald Pines, trading her Vaseline for sunscreen. The fact that they continued to go at it like wild jackrabbits in heat was an added bonus.

Just the thought of a naked, sweaty Cameron atop her widened Peri's smile. Of the handful of men Peri had officially dated, Cameron was the only one who didn't treat her like fragile glass or something that needed to be fixed. To him, her burn scars were simply part of the package, like her blonde hair or the fact that her leg would sometimes shake enough to rattle the entire coffee cable. Their relationship wasn't perfect - she had turned into a slob after living by herself for so long, and Cameron was trying to break his habit of eating take-out over cooking for himself - but that only served to heighten the good parts.

1...456789