A Hard-learned Lesson Ch. 01

Story Info
Elisa decides to take a bath in unknown waters.
4k words
4.44
7.3k
5
0

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/29/2023
Created 10/26/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"For fuck's sake..." Couldn't mom send me on a supply run another day? Laying on my bed, I stare impassively at the metal ceiling, the only distraction being the few insects roaming on its surface. I let out a defeated sigh. Three hours to go to the main colony, three hours to get back. Great... And to say I was planning on looking for a job. Shy, yellow sun rays pierce through the shades and hit me straight in the eyes, as if even nature chose to be against me today. I guess it's time to go. While rubbing my eyes to try to quickly recover my vision, I get up and neatly make the bed before leaving my room.

"You finally stopped acting like a teen?" asks my mom. I don't even look at her as I gather all the equipment I need. This woman really knows how to rub salt in the wound. I violently throw everything into my backpack before walking to the front door. Sat in her chair, she finishes effortlessly sliding bullets inside of a magazine. My brows furrow as I look at her, handing me the battle-scarred gray rifle, loaded and safety on. I grab the heavy firearm by the handguard, almost dropping it because of its weight, and swiftly put the strap around my shoulder. Still confused, she doesn't wait for my question before answering it. "Adam said predators were roaming dangerously close to the road on his last supply run," she stops for a brief moment and looks at me straight in the eyes. "Contrary to what you might think, I still love my daughter and don't want her to be eaten by hungry animals."

She gives me a warm smile as she stands up to kiss me on the cheek. "I love you too, mom," I murmur, pouting. This doesn't mean I have forgiven her, obviously! I open the door and step outside. Harsh winds are stirring up dust everywhere, sometimes sprouting short-lived dust devils. Of course, out of every supply run done recently, I'm the one who must face shit weather. Rolling my eyes, I put on my aging breathing mask. Numerous deep scratches on the clear plastic blur my vision, and I bet everything I have that the filters are older than me. Well, with how damaged the joints are, I don't think working filters would help me in case I need them.

The door closes behind me; I take a quick glance at the street. No one in sight. If I could, I wouldn't be out either. Walking in the direction of the transport vehicle, my eyes fall on the run-down bar not far across the road. With every passing day, more and more rust eats away at the once shiny chrome building. It's been months since we asked for the company's help. I guess it won't arrive before spring, not that I expected anything else from those greedy rats. Key in hand, I unlock the six-wheeled vehicle and climb inside. Breathing mask off, what a relief; I was tired of hearing my raspy breathing. With my backpack on the back seat and the rifle on the passenger's, I'm ready to depart.

As I make wide maneuvers to get the vehicle the correct way around, I curse at how it handles like crap. Every single piece of equipment here is at best thirty years old, can't they send us decent stuff? Just one time? I let out a sigh of resignation and head out the town's main entrance. Brand new sentry guns, rifles, and combat gear. I was mistaken. The company does send decent stuff, just not anything that we can use ourselves. "Tsk." I see the shrinking guards' figures in the rearview mirror, staring at me as I get farther. Why don't they ever go on supply runs? The next time a recruiter comes around, I know what job to get.

***

It's been two hours since I left the town and the wind doesn't show any sign of stopping anytime soon. With how short the days are becoming, it's unlikely I'll be home before dark. What little distance I travelled in those two hours isn't anywhere close to what I should have done. With all this dust in the air, I can barely see fifty meters in front of me. On a paved road it might have been annoying but still manageable, however, on our shitty dirt roads, this meant the path blends with the environment. The planned six hours round trip likely doubled. "Fucking amazing."

I rest my head on the steering wheel. It's not like anything dangerous could happen at the speed I am going. I haven't lived on a lot of planets before coming here, but I can confidently say, without the shadow of a doubt, that this one is the worst. Drab, dusty plains surround us everywhere; finding small pebbles on the ground can be considered a rare occurrence, so much so that tradition is to make a wish. If only mom had learned farming instead of mining, maybe we would be living on a bright and lush planet, with wildlife whose deepest wish isn't to devour us at any given chance. I take a glance at the rifle mom gave me. She only taught me the basics and already trusts me enough to wield such a devastating weapon... On a normal world I'd call her an irresponsible parent, but here? I better keep it on me at all times.

Quick looks at the road lead me to think I'm approaching one of the region's landmarks. In truth, I lied when I said there were only plains around us. There is an impressive cirque not too far, which stands out like a sore thumb. Part of an ancient mountain range, and remnants of a long-gone volcano, if I were to believe what the outpost's geologist said. In the two years living here, we've never found the time to visit, but the stories I've heard described an oasis in this desert of dust. Sheltered by the winds, a dense cover of bizarre yet magnificent flora, harboring harmless creatures. But its real treasure, its pearl, I would say, are the terraced pools of turquoise waters found in its heart. Naturally hot water, available to all.

Thinking of leisurely enjoying a warm bath fills me with excitement, bringing back the carefree person I usually am. Should I... I look at my watch. This isn't reasonable, but... with how long this supply run is going to take already, mom won't hold a few extra hours against me. It's decided. I joyfully tap my fingers on the steering wheel, my frustration almost gone now. As I reach an intersection, I take the road leading to the cirque. Never in my life have I been this disobedient. It feels... empowering. Still playing with the wheel, a dumb smile on my face, I drive the dozens of kilometers separating myself from a well-deserved bath.

***

I park the vehicle not far from the cirque's center. They weren't lying, this place feels like heaven on this planet. The unforgiving winds have turned into a gentle breeze caressing my cheeks, almost too weak to rustle the leaves. The dusty soil has been replaced by a mushy carpet of dead leaves, sparsely disrupted by measly looking bushes. With the canopy, they must not get enough sunlight; even in the best environment, life isn't easy. While I don't see any animals, I can distinctly hear various presumed mating calls and screaming high in the trees. All these green plants, it reminds me of Earth. The pictures I've seen of it, of course. Never in my whole life will I have enough money to go there. But with how this cirque looks, I'm sure there are prettier planets in the galaxy than Earth. Sure, it's the cradle of humanity and all that, but I bet it doesn't live up to the myths surrounding it.

Even without the winds, the opaque clouds of dust above the cirque prevent all but a faint light from shining down. It'll be hard to spot any threats. Rifle loaded and in hand, I make my way through the unknown jungle. I haven't been attacked yet, and I don't want that to change. The mushy bed of dead leaves makes a wet sound with every step I take. How lovely. When was the last time I heard this? It must have been... about fourteen years ago, when I was six. How the time flies. The path becomes more and more obstructed by various plants, vines and fallen trees. As I struggle to get through, having to hop over dead trunks and crouch under thick vines, I spot multiple shapes rummaging in the vegetation around me. Their movements seem... unusual?

I cautiously get closer to them, hiding behind a fallen tree. Peeking over, safety off and rifle ready, I recognize the flying reptiles that can rarely be seen roaming the plains. An elongated, lithe body, covered in bright green scales, with a whiter shade on the abdomen. Approximately one meter in length. This describes a lot of reptiles, but what seals the deal is the thin, deployable membrane on their sides. I've never seen one glide before; after all, there are no vantage points in the plains high enough. I count seven in front of me but wouldn't be surprised if more were lurking in the canopy. One of them is on its back, limbs and membrane spread out, while another is on top of it, frenetically thrusting what I would call its pelvis against the former's. What could they be...

Am I spying on lizards having an orgy? I lower my weapon. Underbellies against each other, thrusting movements... While I ask myself this question, the top lizard suddenly stops moving for around twenty seconds, before standing on its legs. They were, indeed, mating. As the creature lifts its body, a smooth, pink appendage is pulled from the lying reptile's slit. Strings of viscous white cum still connect them while small spurts of liquid from the penis' tip paint the female's underside whiter. My head feels hot from this unexpected showing of wildlife reproduction. I can imagine how red my face must be; this stuff always made me deeply uncomfortable! My first -- and only -- time overly embarrassed me, to the point I had to put an end to our relationship; seeing two animals do it certainly isn't better.

The male lizard runs away and vanishes in the canopy. He doesn't want to take responsibility, it seems. Well, this was informative. Learning about reptiles' mating ritual wasn't on today's to-do list, and I could have done without it. Thankfully, they finished right as I arrived. Oh, how wrong I am. Only a few seconds after leaving, another male reptile is readying itself over the female, its thin but lengthy cock easily sliding inside the semen-filled vagina.

That's it. I don't want to watch more of this. "Shit," I get up too fast. Already lightheaded from the orgy, the lack of blood in my brain doesn't help. Almost losing my footing, I stabilize myself on the dead tree. Fortunately, these lizards are too busy to notice me. Stars gone from my vision, I leave the area and return to the path. Whatever this was, I am not stopping the next time I hear noises around me. Enough animal mating rituals for today! Even better, for the rest of my life!

I walk the last stretch of the way unhindered, surprisingly. I was half-expecting something to pounce on me from the shadows to slaughter me. Or worse, judging by the insane number of sex-crazed animals I have seen in this place. The lizard orgy wasn't the only one occurring here: all creatures apparently use the same method of reproduction. And in most cases, none of the participants worry about being the same species. That all-reptile gangbang seems to be rather uncommon. Who am I to judge, after all.

On the jungle's edge, I find myself faced with something exceeding all my expectations. Have I ever dreamed of such a stunning view? Terraced pools of the purest white I could possibly imagine, each filled with hazy, steaming turquoise water, flowing down into a large pond at the bottom. Finding this unique sight on this planet, clashing both with the barren plains and the cirque's jungle. I can't believe what I'm seeing. It feels... surreal. The hot springs turned the cool breeze warm, giving me a taste of what bathing there feels like. Even the animals can't resist the call: a good chunk of the pools are already occupied by the fauna, the same I've been seeing mating all around the jungle. They are living their best life, that's for sure.

With a wide smile of anticipation, I look for an empty pool, which I fortunately find not too far away. Now, what to do? I don't want my clothes getting wet, and I didn't drive all the way here just to dip my toes. Only one possibility remains... I excitedly remove all my clothes, fold them carefully and put them in a pile next to the pool. Entirely naked, the breeze now feels chilly. Maybe it wasn't that warm to begin with. The hot springs will help fix this. I take a few glances around me, afraid of finding perverts hidden behind trees, ogling my body. But nothing stands out. Not surprising, considering how isolated this place is.

I lower one foot in the steaming water. It has the ideal temperature. I worried it may be too hot for humans, how mistaken I was. Five seconds later, my whole body is submerged in the turquoise liquid. Baths are a luxury at the outpost: the last one I had must date back to last year. I am absolutely coming back here whenever I can. Putting my rifle aside -- I feel safe enough here -- I check my wristwatch. Already this late?! I sigh out of disappointment. To get home before midnight, my stay here must not be longer than twenty minutes. What a shame. I better relax the most I can then. Mimicking the several animals enjoying the warmth of the water, I position myself so only my head isn't submerged and close my eyes. I can take a quick nap, my watch will wake me up.

***

"Shit..." I say out loud. Looking at my watch, one hour has passed since I dozed off. I should have already been back on the main road. No time to lose. I stand up and get out of the water, not without tripping on the pool's mineral ledge. What's up with this dizziness? Did I relax a bit too much? I'm running too late to worry about this! Hastily putting back my clothes on, they are immediately soaked. So much for not wanting my clothes wet... And my hair too... I grab my rifle and run back to the vehicle.

Aside from the horny animals, nothing notable happens. I make my way to the intersection as soon as I get to the truck. The winds have subsided, and visibility has greatly improved. Can I still make it in time? Only one way to find out. I speed my way down the rest of the road, arriving only forty-five minutes later at the main colony. It's not like there was a speed limit anyway.

I leave the vehicle in the delivery area and plug it into the power station. I hope there'll be enough juice for the trip home... I rapidly make my way to the shops. The bustling streets and well-maintained buildings paint a very different picture from our outpost. It is the main avenue, after all. The company wouldn't let the first thing people see deter them from staying. Speaking of which, has the number of recruitment posters increased? Everywhere I look, I am sure to find at least one featuring proud soldiers protecting helpless settlers from the dangers of uncolonized planets. "Help humanity thrive. Fight for New Worlds Settlements!" I can't bear to read this slogan. The only reason people serve is the higher quality of life, thanks to better wages. Not having to go on supply runs is a plus, too. Ignoring all the propaganda posters, I nimbly squeeze myself through the dense crowd and arrive at my destination.

"Oh, it's you this time," the shop manager says nonchalantly. "Same as usual?"

"You guessed it," I answer as I sign the receipt on his PDA. I can't believe how expensive even basic necessities have become. At this rate, the outpost's mining income won't suffice in a few months. "How long will it take to load everything up?"

"Long enough for your clothes and hair to dry. Did you walk through a localized downpour?" He asks with a perplexed look on his face.

"I-" I stop to think of an excuse, but nothing comes. "There's no point in hiding it anyway. I took a detour and visited the cirque. The hot springs are amazing, you must try them one day!" I tell him enthusiastically with a cheerful smile. But it quickly disappears as I notice the manager's disapproving look. Telling him might have been a mistake.

He lets out a deep sigh. "Maybe the news didn't make it to your outpost, or you don't care about warnings," he pauses, "but the cirque has recently been deemed "unsafe" for human presence, whatever that means."

A shiver runs down my spine as I hear this. Unsafe? A small illness or an instant death type of unsafe? A sudden nauseous feeling takes over me, but I manage to keep myself composed. "Oh, well, it must be the usual exaggeration we're used to, hahaha..." No matter how relaxed and carefree I try to appear, the manager sees right through me. Beads of sweat start running down my temples, or maybe it's water from my damp hair? I nervously wipe them away with the back of my hand.

"I won't tell anyone, but you can't go around freely roaming the colony. We don't know what type of diseases you could be carrying," he says while taking a few steps away from me. "Follow me -- not closely, though -- I'll get you back to your vehicle through the less crowded streets."

I don't protest and quietly do as he says. In a matter of minutes, we are in front of the truck.

"Make sure to get yourself checked when you get back," he sternly tells me. "Even if you don't have any symptoms. Understood?"

Clearly waiting for an answer, I don't hesitate to give him one. "Of course!" The last thing I need is to anger our supplier. "Thank you for helping me." I add. No response comes as the bulky man walks away from the vehicle.

As soon as I am all alone, I sloppily slouch on the seat, a blank look on my face. What's going to happen to me? I rub my face with my palms. Knowing how competent the outpost's physician is, I don't think he'll be of great use. "Fuuckkk..." is the only thing I'm able to whisper. Now, I can only hope the water wasn't full of diseases or parasites. The animals were bathing in it, no? Doesn't that mean I don't have anything to worry about? This mere speculation isn't enough to reassure me, sadly.

After waiting thirty minutes for the manager to come back with the supplies, and half that again for the loading, I am finally able to begin the return trip. Right as I am about to leave, I hear the bulky man call my name. "Elisa!" I lean over the window. "I hope to see you soon," he says, a shy smile on his lips.

"We are your best customers, after all," I jokingly answer. "I'll update you on my health. Thanks for everything." With those words, I start the vehicle and leave the area. Even on this forsaken planet, there are nice people. The sun is already setting as I get back on the road. The battery's only half-full. Theoretically, it should be enough for this trip. As light pierces through the thicker atmosphere, a hazy blue surrounds the small, white ball of fire. Twilight -- and dawn -- must be my favorite moments of the day.

Some thirty minutes later, the sun has disappeared behind the dusty plains, causing the outside temperature to almost drop to half of what it was. Winter is starting to rear its head, and the nights are getting colder by the day; it wouldn't surprise me if tonight reaches below freezing. Time to turn the heating on. Wait a minute... Do I have enough power? "Oh no," I say out loud. How didn't I think of this?! This is bad. If I don't want to end the trip on my feet, I must manage the power consumption. I reluctantly turn the heating off. What a shitty day.

***

I've been freezing on my seat for almost two hours. If only I hadn't been right about the temperature... Minus five outside, probably close to zero in the cabin. Before dying from illness, I first must survive the glacial temperatures. I didn't bring any gloves. My fingers became numb an hour ago, and let's not even talk about my feet. My eyelids feel heavy... I'm having a hard time staying awake and following the road... Why am I not shivering? I swear I was some minutes ago... And this growing warmth inside me, its comforting embrace... Something isn't right: these symptoms can only come from one thing.

The sudden realization pumps adrenaline into my veins. Screw the battery, I'm dead if I don't turn the heating on. Come on, come on... It takes some time for the air to heat up, but once done, the ambient temperature quickly rises. The hypothermia doesn't go away instantly, but at least it can't get worse from now on. How didn't I notice it? I'm usually attentive to those sorts of things... Oh, yeah, the wet clothes certainly didn't help, and neither did the low battery. When thinking about it, that little visit to the cirque almost cost me my life! Grumbling alone in the cabin, I slowly regain most of my motor functions, with the fingers and toes last.

12