A Hero's Rebirth Ch. 07

Story Info
Thomas meets with the Cloud Elves, and complications arise.
17.1k words
4.88
5.6k
33

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 05/13/2024
Created 06/18/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dear Readers,

I know this chapter is not quite as long and doesn't conclude quite as nicely as the other chapters have. I promise I will do my best to post the next chapter as quickly as possible to resolve everything nicely. I've just had a lot going on, and it has put me back. I think I'm getting to a place I will be able to write more, so hopefully I can get back to my better rate of publishing my chapters.

Thank you for your patience, and I hope you enjoy this. Know there is still more to come.

Again, thanks to my editor, thegoofyproofyreader, he makes my work so much better.

~Naughty Paladin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Character List:

Currently Present Household:

Thomas Nord

Role: MC

Race: Human

Eyes: Dark Green

Hair: Dark Brown

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 210 lbs

Boons (Giver): Strength (X'Thallion), Magic (Noriva), Endurance (Elglathar)

Tavorwen Treestrider

Rank: Guardian

Status: Active Matron

Role: Head Battle Matron and Guardian

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Dark Brown

Eyes: Green

Age: 291

Height: 5' 1"

Weight: 75 lbs.

Breasts: A-Cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

Creadean Windarrow

Rank: Captain

Status: Active Matron

Role: Battle Matron and Tracker

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Honey Gold

Eyes: Deep green.

Age: 211

Height: 5' 2"

Weight: 82 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Friror

Flendreir Swiftblade

Rank: Corporal

Status: Active Matron

Role: Defensive Swordsman

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Dark Brown

Eyes: Light green

Age: 137

Height: 5' 3"

Weight: 86 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

Anbethir Truehand

Rank: Corporal

Status: Active Matron

Role: Dualist, Trains Thomas in swordsmanship

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Golden

Eyes: Green

Age: 142

Height: 5' 2"

Weight: 82 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

Nauveir Surehand

Rank: Specialist

Status: Active Matron

Role: Archer

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Age: 131

Height: 5' 4"

Weight: 74 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Hiersver

Risavis Lightfoot

Rank: Specialist

Status: Active Matron

Role: Scout

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Age: 121

Height: 4' 6"

Weight: 72 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Animal Companion: Irsivir (Dire Wolf)

Laliera Meadowbreeze

Rank: Outrider

Status: Active Matron

Role: Agile Melee Mounted Warrior

Race: Wild Elf

Hair: Black

Eyes: Brown

Skin: Brown

Age: 215

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 92 lbs

Breasts: B-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Melkvir

Sevrina Flaresmith

Rank: Adept

Status: Active Matron

Role: Elemental Caster

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Auburn

Eyes: Red flecked green

Age: 165

Height: 4' 3"

Weight: 43 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Hiersver

Mavrin Spiritbreaker

Rank: Novice (near promotion)

Status: Active Matron

Role: "Taboo" Class Caster

Race: Wood Elf

Hair: Strawberry blond

Eyes: Honey brown

Age: 172

Height: 4' 8"

Weight: 55 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Hiersver

Amura

Race: Shadow Elf

Status: Virgin Slave

Role: Slave

Hair: White

Eyes: Grey/purple

Age: 145

Height: 4' 7"

Weight: 54 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

Zanantha Swiftcloak

Mentor: Creadean

Race: Wood Elf

Status: Battle Maiden

Role: Stalker

Hair: Light Brown

Eyes: Green

Age: 145

Height: 4' 9"

Weight: 67 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

Ulamir Houndrunner

Mentor: Creadean

Race: Wood Elf

Status: Battle Maiden

Role: Tracker

Hair: Honey brown

Eyes: Light Green

Age: 152

Height: 4' 11"

Weight: 71 lbs

Breasts: A-cup

Ass: Small, Maidenly

Mount: Grass Drake

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 7

We walked through the majestic city. The white structures loomed on every side, and while they had appeared to be white marble from a distance, they appeared more like sculpted white ice once you were closer. The walkway had that same appearance, and once I'd made the connection, I saw the path as white ice as well. Now, while it looked like ice, my feet gripped easily on the surface.

The misty substance of the clouds swirled between the buildings and down the streets around us. The air was just as cold as it had been on the ship on our flight over. My matrons and maidens followed me, bundled up and shivering. That was with multiple layers and what warm clothing they had managed to scrape together. My outfit was still far from sufficient to keep me warm, but I seemed able to handle it better than the thin, frail frames of the Wood Elves.

Othica, as she had introduced herself, seemed heedless of the cold. Walking barefoot, uncovered from the knees down and with her arms and neck completely bare. Her garment, whatever it was, covered the rest of her, but it seemed thin, far too thin to keep her warm. However, she showed no sign of being cold. She wasn't rosy cheeked, her breath didn't cloud the air in front of her, and she seemed oblivious to the fact that such discomfort was even a possibility as we walked.

The streets were empty, and with the exception of the wheeling forms of the warriors that had 'greeted' us, no other cloud elves filled the skies. At first I thought it a marker of how poorly the Cloud Elves had fared, but then I saw movement in a window as a Cloud Elf child was pulled away by what I could only presume was her mother or caregiver. No, the Cloud Elves weren't lost, just hiding.

I swallowed. What would I say? Fuck, I wish I'd had more civilian interaction training. Since my units were generally ghosts, in and out and the less people who knew the better, that hadn't really been a part of my training. Even the interpreters in Afghanistan had been recruited by others, and we'd only dealt with them when necessary. Now I was to meet with a real life, fucking Queen. Not for the first time, I wished I'd had time to study elven culture, actually learn the language, and do things on my own merits, rather than rely on this freaking translation magic. It could translate my words, and only so well at that, but it could do nothing to translate my actions.

I noticed the path was sloping up toward what appeared to be an enormous marble, or white ice when we got closer, structure. I shifted my pack, loaded with my weapons, I wasn't even sure how much it weighed anymore, but with the Boon of Strength I'd been given, it might as well weigh nothing. I was just nervous. When we reached the building, more unarmed Cloud Elves stood guard around the doors, as well as on a number of the balconies and terraces built into the outside of what I guessed was a sort of palace.

"These are the... envoys?" One of the Guards asked stiffly.

"They are." Othica asserted. "They have come from Ealphamir to meet with Queen Ethcovir."

"Then they may pass." The Guard conceded, and the door...

... I would say it opened, but that would be a horrible explanation. Evaporated is a better word. What had appeared to be solid, carved stone-like ice just... dissipated to allow us to pass. Once we were through, the door reformed, just as it had been.

"Damn..." I marveled.

"Is something the matter?" Othica prodded with some concern.

"I've never seen anything like that before." I explained.

"...You've never seen a door before?" She verified with some confusion.

"Not one that just... ceases to exist when you want it gone." I clarified.

"Oh... What do your doors do?" She inquired with a furrowed brow.

I held up my hands to demonstrate. "They swing open and closed."

Othica watched me mimic the actions of a door opening and closing with my hands... and was not impressed. "A-huh. Well, right this way."

Thankfully, once we were inside the Palace it was somewhat warmer. Not that it was warm, just not as cold.

At first I thought the walls were undecorated, then I realized that the wall decorations weren't in the form of hangings and nicknacks, but in inscriptions, carvings and, as we walked into the first real room, construction. Pillars of ice, clear to white and everywhere in between formed twisting elaborate supports to the ceiling where the sun streamed through the ice to make myriads of designs and reflections. It was a thing of beauty. I doubted any such creation had ever been fully realized on earth. There is only so much you can do, carving ice, but this was clearly sculpted with magic.

We walked through the lobby and down a set of halls with several waiting rooms. All of them were empty and when we reached an enormous door, that once again seemed to evaporate as we approached, it became apparent why.

The Throne Room, because that's clearly what it was, was packed. The only place that wasn't shoulder to shoulder with Cloud Elves, was a path directly to the great ice-white throne upon which sat a tiny Cloud Elf. Even the Pillars had spaces where the Cloud Elves could perch, and every ledge was filled. All the Cloud Elves, even the one sitting on the throne, wore that same garment, like the warriors and Othica wore. Folded as most of their wings were, it was hard to see too many colors. White and brown seemed the most common, followed by black, but red, blue, yellow and even a few green feathers could be seen poking over shoulders. Not a word was spoken as we walked solemnly to the throne.

The only thing that seemed uplifting and happy about the room was the light. The light streaming through the ceiling of the Throne Room split into a million rainbows, painting the walls, pillars and assembled Cloud Elves in a symphony of light. It wasn't random either. It seemed whoever had crafted this hall knew the angles light would enter, and refract and seemed to use it to paint the room intentionally. A nimbus of light and color surrounded the throne, shimmering and shifting, clearly each design slowly being supplanted by the next one to come.

Distance never helped with making something seem large, but as we approached, it became painfully obvious how small the queen of the Cloud Elves was. She sat, managing to look somewhat regal and noble, in a chair that could easily fit someone four times her size. The light show definitely helped. She was maybe four feet tall, and was just as thin and lithe as all the other elves were, but it made her seem like a child playing on the throne. Her raven-black hair was done in a series of braids making the closest thing to a crown on her head. Her pure white wings stood out and seemed to radiate the colors of the lightshow filling the room. Her eyes were a piercing icy blue, almost gray, and were locked on me with intensity.

The floor rose and fell as we approached, but I couldn't really see much aside from a swarm of Cloud Elves. But we walked carefully to the raised terrace in front of the platform on which the throne sat.

"Queen Ethcovir." Othica intoned, lowering herself into a cross-legged bow, her wings spreading and lowering too, in great respect. "I bring you the envoys from Ealphamir."

I stepped forward and bowed, feeling incredibly awkward, as I hadn't really bowed to royalty before, and I hoped I was doing it some kind of justice.

"Welcome, envoys. You may speak." She declared, her light, girlish voice not helping with the image of a child on the throne.

"Greetings." I started nervously. "I come at the behest of the Council of the Elders of Ealphamir. We come seeking to aid you in any way you may need, and if possible, forge an alliance with you in our fight against Kathra and her Shadow Elves."

My words hung in the air. I had no idea what I said wrong, but you know how sometimes... you just know, somehow, that you fucked up! Yeah. I could tell.

After a minute, finally, the Queen spoke.

"That is all we are offered? That is all our 'sisters' in the forests have to say?" The Queen demanded with a strained voice.

I tried to bring moisture into my mouth. "Forgive me, your Highness, I was just summoned a few weeks ago, to try and keep Kathra from driving all of you to extinction... Is there something else I should have brought? Some message?" I fished.

The Queen's gaze turned to ice. "Perhaps, something along the lines of a groveling apology? A sniveling attempt at an excuse for their betrayal? An actual ATTEMPT at reconciliation for our mothers, daughters, and sisters that they killed all those years ago!"

I could feel my matrons step back.

"As I said, I was not here... Perhaps, you would do me the courtesy of telling me what you know of this betrayal, so maybe I can help find solutions and answers?" I delicately offered. "I have a guess or two, based on my time with the Wood Elves and the Wild Elves, but... I don't want to assume anything."

"A hundred and forty-nine years, ten months, four weeks and three days ago," the Queen began. Her precision alone almost made me flinch. People only kept track of things like that when they were extremely sore subjects, or overly happy ones, but I had serious doubts it was the latter. I didn't have to wait long. "Our scouts reported that all the races of our sisters were moving to battle, even High Elder Seiafra of the Sea Elves was reported to have brought her army against the High Elves."

The Queen sat as tall as she could, her anger apparent on her face. "My Grandmother, Queen Valida, led us all to the battlefield to aid our sisters from the forest. She sent messengers ahead to bear testament of our intent to keep our pledge of fealty to those whom the Gods had appointed to lead their children."

I didn't like where this was going...

"But what should happen when we arrived and flew directly to our allies in the forest?" She hissed. "The bows of our allies turned against us. My mother and grandmother both fell to their forest traitorous volley, and our forces were left confused and decimated. We were quickly pinned down and struggled to keep what few of our number we could alive. It was almost a mercy when the Shadow Elves emerged and began their universal slaughter."

I could feel the emotional devastation of my matrons, this... this was hard for them to hear.

"With all the forces that had kept us pinned down distracted, we managed to flee to the skies." The livid Queen continued. "Of course, Kathra did not let our escape be easy. Wyverns, and other beasts carrying her soldiers harried us until we arrived back home, and the Cloud Guard was able to buy us a small reprieve. Ever since then, Wyverns and other beasts carrying Kathra's vipers have plagued us, killing any who wandered out in insufficient numbers. We have waited... waited for the Gods' CHOSEN leaders to do that which they were mandated to do. Three weeks ago, the Gods finally heard our prayers and chased the vermin away... and now you come fluttering at our door, speaking of aid and alliances... What need have we for alliances with those who slay friend and foe with equal indifference?"

"Your story... is heartbreaking." I confessed. "A true tragedy."

"Save your hollow words." The Queen retorted. "The words of an envoy of the forest mean nothing to me now."

"If I may, perhaps I can shed some light on what happened?" I offered.

"... Speak...!" She snapped.

"The messengers you sent ahead..." I began. "Do you know what happened to them?"

"We attempted to summon them home, and only their bodies returned, riddled with Wood Elf arrows." She snapped.

I nodded sadly. "I suspected as much. But if I may, were you able to determine when and where they were killed?"

"No," She confessed, for the first time, seeming disappointed in someone other than the Wood Elves. "Our prayers in that regard were left... unanswered."

"Sounds about right." I nodded.

The Queen's eyes narrowed. "And WHAT, praytell, are you implying?"

I licked my lips, the altitude and dryness in the air was not great, and I wasn't sure how to go about asking for chapstick here. "It doesn't seem... weird to you, that ALL the armies of ALL the elves were gathered in one place, pit against each other, and the MOMENT they were weakest, Kathra and her armies just HAPPENED to appear to finish the job?"

"Speak plainly." Queen Ethcovir demanded. "Hide not behind shrouded words."

"You were set up. Played for fools." I explained. "Everyone was."

The Queen's eyes flared with anger. "And that justifies the slaughter of my progenitors and sisters, how?"

"It does not justify it, but perhaps explains where your anger should truly be pointed." I told her. "Do you know when the last time, prior to the Massacre, that there had been confirmed communications between your grandmother and the Wood Elves was?"

"I was barely of age," She protested, glaring to one side and drumming her fingers on her crossed arms. I could tell I hit a bit of a nerve. "I was not yet kept privy to all the Royal business."

"That is fair," I conceded. "But I'd be willing to bet a great deal it had been quite some time since a confirmed communication got through."

"What does that matter?" She deflected defensively. Something about her seemed young, by elven standards, and it was almost as though she was pouting in as dignified a manner as one could pout.

"I want you to, for just a moment, imagine you were the general of the Wood Elves' army." I suggested. "Your allies have turned against you, one-by-one, and now of the four races that you have worked to help and lead, three have openly declared war against you and are marching to battle. You arrive only to see the last of the groups appear and charge straight at you. What would you do?"

"I would not betray my allies!" She cut back in indignation, her voice rising. I'd seen this before, especially in inexperienced commanders. Hindsight is 20/20, and we always assume we'd have made better choices. Almost always, we wouldn't have.

"But... you haven't heard anything to indicate they are still allies." I dissected her argument. It was important she realize what war was, and what really happened. "To your eyes, it appears that all your allies have turned against you, and now the one who had been silent is now declaring their intentions, and is moving on your position."

"We sent messengers!" The Queen seethed.

"Messengers Kathra murdered before they could deliver their message." I explained. "Kathra was doing all she could to sow chaos between the races of the surface, and that would be only too easy for her. Airborne, your messengers had nothing to hide behind, if they even thought to hide. Kathra either murdered them, then stuck them full of pilfered Wood Elf arrows, or used stolen arrows to kill them to frame the Wood Elves, in case you figured out what was going on."

"What evidence do you have of this claim?" The Queen mocked, clearly believing she had me on the ropes.. "Idle musings of one with clear motives to distort the truth are not so persuasive as you seem to believe, Envoy."

"Have you taken note of the Shadow Elf among my matrons?" I redirected. If she thought she could dismiss reality because I had nothing to back them up, I hoped this was just the smoking gun I needed.

The declaration seemed to send serious ripples through the crowd. I felt Amura get very close behind me.

"No..." The Queen hissed with an angry pause. "Nor were we made aware they were your matrons..."

"I come with members of my house, including a matron of the Shadow Elves and a Matron of the Wild Elves." An explanation he hoped would garner some weight.

That sent murmurs and grumbles through the crowd.

"Silence!" A maiden at the side of the throne snapped, stomping and sending a sound like she had just banged a gavel reverberating through the Throne Room. "The Royal Guard will expel any who cannot keep their peace."