All Comments on 'A House Where Nobody Lives'

by Mainefiddleheads

Sort by:
  • 157 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

That was just excellent...

-jaye-

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
mfh-dairy farms clarification

Appreciate your details on farm operations.

Still no explanation why he would leave his wife unprotected so many times over the years. He certainly knew ahead of time the dates of the predators visits. He had to be aware of all the redhaired bastards. Yet he was

always away during those visits and provided the seducer

with free lodging, not to mention access to wife.

Furthermore, your clarification of the farms operation, means there was no reason wife could not have went withhim when helpng out neighbors.

Plus why did husband stay ovyernight at neighbors? Surely the distance home was not that great...and her mother certainly could have stayed with daughter if husband was going to be away.

While well-written your story raises too many questions about the people of that area...everyone knew father of bastards, knew breeder was seducer, yet no one did anything about it for years...until gangbang

bworth1943bworth1943over 6 years ago
fantasy guy

It seems anonymous didn't live through the depression, and also doesn't know much about subsistence farms of that era. Men took what ever work was available and yes the wives were left alone a lot to carry on the home and chores. In those days predators were few and far between. They would have been disposed of a lot sooner than the author had written. It would have been ugly, as I know a little of my family history.

Pappy7Pappy7over 6 years ago
Wow, good story.

Brought back some memories for me of a couple of the old men who lived in my small town in Central Texas. They were from that era and I can promise you that the bull boy would have never been seen again after the first of his babies hit the ground. There are a lot of caves in the hills around and a bunch of them have bones in them to this day. But I think also that the wife who kept up the affair with the bull boy might have ended up in a cave of her own. Men protected their homes from incursions and sometimes the gatekeeper who consistently fell down on her job up and moved away suddenly. So, thanks for the blast from the past and an awful good story besides. You write good.

NellaBarely2NellaBarely2over 6 years ago
Too good to criticize

The number of reviews and comments tells more about the author and his works than critical remarks can tell. I'm only mid-70's, lived up state NY and heard a few stories of depression times. I honor this quality creation for its realism and color for a much different lifestyle - family survival, love and a different kind of tolerence. Some lived, some died for their mistakes and some might not have been taught a lesson early enough but the times have changed ...

And history as it really was won't change by removing statues if todays protesters continue to perpetuate the blame rather than cooperate to learn from those memories. Try to correct the few but don't blame the masses, and cease the hatred; teach today's children to love and care more by example. Tony C

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Giants of the Earth

This piece is superb. Accurate to the last detail; touching; very well written. This author knows his subject and writes beautiful prose. Thank you for submitting such an evocative story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
You are good!

Can't say it any more plainly--keep it up. Please!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The breeder boy

would have died at my hands.

anonymousinblueanonymousinblueabout 6 years ago
parts of this are confused

There's ambiguity and then history revision in recounts of what what's her name did with Wendell...all nicely documented in the first page of comments. My guess is that the author wanted feelings to go this or that way, so it was written like that without regard for the world set up by prior events. That seriously weakens the story and makes having to read this pastel colored language upsetting to find out that in the end, that's all it really was about, facts be damned. An elephant can grasp a paint brush and drag it over paper.

But, how he said that her dying painlessly was of no comfort makes it seem like he hadn't really let go, and wanted her to suffer. I found that amusing.

I applaud the powerball-like mixture of events that don't have to have any correlation with any common formula. It's somewhat anticlimactic since those formulas are common for a reason, but still interesting to read (when you don't have the author ignoring the reality he created to pull emotions this or that way).

I would have expected came out with general praise except for two reasons. One, is that history is rewritten multiple times (if that's some very subtle poke at society or something, it's too much of an inside joke to let drive a story). Two, is that while I can appreciate the interleaving of timelines, often there wasn't enough context to figure out when and where the event described took place. Ok, seeds and suet...winter....likely to be recent timeline...that took a second read to be sure it wasn't an extension of the winter time line where they waterboarded that bull dude and best him up. Maybe I'm just not tall enough for this ride.

I just about closed this story without reading it after seeing the angry author ranting. I just don't care that people annoy you, certain ones, and don't want to be bothered to hear it. The real author, in my opinion (ie: not applicable to a story about an author), should exist as an entity that effected a story and as not much else. By being essentially a thing, you have offended nobody right off the bat. Everything said has a chance to alienate a certain part of readers who disagree with whatever bullshit the author felt righteous enough to put in the story. And that's before they read the story. Although, I would find a "Vote for Trump" in the foreword pretty amusing, despite breaking the aforementioned rules and trampling on them.

carvohicarvohiover 5 years ago
Just finished this...

No BTB, no RAAC, no puddin pounding, and I was glad of it.

Sounds strange, I felt sad, but redeemed, and satisfied.

Thank you so much,

Jedd Clampett

Blkman53Blkman53over 5 years ago
Well written

Sometime in the future, I will reread this story and give it 5 stars. At this particular point in my recovery from my wife’s infidelity I needed more penance from the antagonists. You had no way of knowing my need to read about cheating and revenge, so I read this story anyway, (yes I read the preamble), but I truly enjoyed this story, it was beautifully written and riveting. I’m a big fan of your work and look forward to more submissions. 4 stars (for now), and thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
It pissed me off, that's I know it was a good story

Even though it's a good story a thing I never get, is no matter what happens or is happening, in the end you want to look over what the wife did. Everyone writes these stories, where they make the wife this docile little creature who never fucks up. But when she does, is everyone else's fault but hers. So in the end he took Sylvia back again, forgiveness. With no questions, no answers and let's look at the whole overall picture. Not only did she get pregnant by Wendell, he brought 2 friends and they fucked her all night and no one said a word. Not to mention he got to other wives pregnant. The two other guys had the right idea, Wendell should've been dropped in the water with the chains and put down.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 5 years ago
Somehow I missed this when first published

Excellent storytelling. I expected and was not surprised to read detracting comments, not on the quality of the writing but on actions of the fictional characters. Many commenters clearly don't understand how dire life was during the depths of the depression. I was born after the depression or "Hoover Days" as my family referred to the depression. However family lore was inundated with depression era stories. An example: My grandfather was a known practical joker and tease. He put an ad in the local paper in 1934 that stated he was hiring a crew to jack up the lake and paint the bottom. Clearly a prank ad. The next day the first man to show up had walked and hitched from 30 miles away to apply for the job. He was that desperate. My grandmother fed him, gave him a croaker sack(as we called burlap bags) full of home-canned food and my dad gave him a ride back home. Jobs were precious and being away from home to work was not unusual. I digressed a lot but this was a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Sorry, but....

You have your reasons, I'm sure, but Wendell would not have been pulled back up. People back then believed that a wrong was righted. With as many wrongs that had been done, a one way trip would have been warranted.

You also went into a lot of detail of how infidelity was covered up and hidden from the community and life moved on. It sounded like you were trying to convince yourself about this. His wife was raped several times over and the last time gangbanged and she never said a word. No man is that forgiving.

andyinozandyinozabout 5 years ago
Mate...this one was soooo depressing.

Perhaps the feelings your writing evoked were assisted by the coldness of the day on which I read this story.

However, wow, great story-telling. It really made an impression.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Should have slowly killed him

Pulling him out of the water didn't fit in with the story. They should have very slowly lowered him into the water so he suffered and then left him on the bottom.

Wife was a cheating bitch.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
i doubt the 'guilt' would have bothered them.

my granma was from the depression. she snapped off chicken heads like it was nothing. hell, my father and his brothers beat up other men without a care in the world. and i do mean, 'beat up' and it wasn't 'because a man raped my wife' it was 'hey, check out this cool boxing move i saw. let me just find a random guy to start a fight with' and i'm not exaggerating. police didn't throw you in jail for getting in a fist fight, maybe a night to 'cool off'.

you're super-imposing YOUR values on a culture and world that is VERY much foreign to you. god fearing men were even MORE violent when it came to justice, not less. the bible is full of fire and brimstone. it's a fact that men today, on average, have the testosterone levels of feeble old men back then. We'v grown soft in every metric possible. The women were tougher, the men were tougher, the KIDS were tougher.

they lived in a small town, and in the bitter cold. they didn't have to even hurt the man. literally haul him off into the woods completely free to run away. strip him down to his underwear. he'd wind up dead the next day due to exposure. pour some booze down his system and over his face. people...TODAY...die that way. they get drunk, strip their cloths and die overnight in the cold. it still happens.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
A well written story

...of real people, dealing with the life they'd been given.

I am BTB but for this story, ignore the rants in the other comments.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
He got off way too light

Shoud have been castrated. My grandpa had a clamp thing he used on pigs. Pull the sack down and clamp just above it. Wait about 20 and unclamp. Simple, easy and fast. I'd done it while the asshole was awake and knew exactly what was going on.

RanDog025RanDog025over 4 years ago
A SOLID 5 STAR STORY!

THANK YOU FOR A VERY WELL WRITTEN SHORT STORY. I'D HAVE GIVEN IT 10 STARS HAD IT BEEN POSSIBLE. THANK YOU.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Christcuckery

Just turn the other cheek and forget that adultery is grounds for an annulment of marriage cuck!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Re: Anon 8/31/19

How did I know that some ignorant dipshit would comment that these husbands were cucks? Did you read the parts where it was mentioned that these women were all drugged? By all of the standards that I grew up with that constitutes multiple counts of rape. The only mistake John's and the other wives made was not telling their husbands the first time. If any of them had, it all could have been dealt with much sooner with it not happening at all to some. Which is frequently true even today with the shame and guilt that it may have their own fault when nothing could be further from the the truth Which is one reason that in most cases women's character can't be assassinated in court if they are accusing someone of rape.

I didn't expect the stunt with the chain and dropping the breeder man through the ice. My mother's father was a logger around this time in northern Michigan, I wonder if he knew the chain and leader trick? What I really expected to have happen was the last sound that the breeder man and one of the wives would hear would have been a double click. The same clicks the Clanton gang heard in the vacant lot behind the OK Corral when Doc Holliday locked back both outside hammers on the double barreled shotgun that set off the famous shootout. As it became clear later if John or the other husbands had known about the drugs or the gang rape there would have been a different outcome. In real life would they have pulled him up? I don't know, I would guess probably not but it isn't our story. As one who has gone through the ice twice when I was young, once in a river in Michigan's UP and once into the lake in front of my home I can tell you that anyone who ever says drowning and/or freezing is painless either doesn't know what they are talking about or is a damned liar. So our rapist did not get off easy, but I do think just leaving him on the bottom would not cause me to lose any sleep tonight. Only two things seem to me to be worse than what they did to him; being conscious falling from a great height or by fire. Perhaps the worst thing for him would have been the anticipation, the gut wrenching, stark terror of what was going to happen to him rather than the actual deed.

This was an incredibly well written story as are the other two I have read. If I don't stop stumbling across authors of this caliber I'm never going to finish my honey do list. Signed: BTW

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
Same reason in India and Arabia, if a woman is raped she is “honor” killed...

...because she is damaged goods. These “cuck” accusers are EXACTLY like those Indian and Arab practicers of such.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Good story enjoyed would have liked a lot better if wife of at least one told husband

Not as forgiving would have at least castrated him

Raped women even today get treated badly a lot of times so many are unreported

But should have at least told husband when repeated

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Very well done

MFH is more than a good writer; he is a gifted storyteller. This is a well-crafted, poignant tale of a place and time long gone but, due to MFH’s tale, not forgotten . Thank you for taking us on a remarkable journey! Easily a five star story.

hardworker5556hardworker5556almost 4 years ago
You can write!

Loved it. Please keep writing.

26thNC26thNCalmost 4 years ago

Calling MFH a storyteller doesn 't begin to describe him. Some of us work, including this, is up with the best ever posted in LW. This story was so strong that I almost want to quit reading LW.

jsch1947jsch1947over 3 years ago

Magic...

The tone, the vocabulary, the sentence structure. MFH crafted a tale, and he used a time machine to deliver it.

Beyond brilliant.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Lovely, tragic, excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Brilliant storytelling but, for me, let down by the gang rape episode. The Breeder should have been hunted down and dealt with for that alone!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story and I loved how they handled Wendell until I read the gang rape part. After that I wanted all 3 of them hunted down and float tested with log chains wrapped around them. Still a great story.

not_a_viking_honestnot_a_viking_honestover 2 years ago

Hm, dunno, but i think they probably could have easily gotten away with murder, but then like the chickenshits they were, they chickened out.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

This a really good, actual, story and not a four paragraph cuckold or gay male sex scene. MFH is a real writer, not a cheap copycat poster.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

He would have died; It's predictably obvious that he would do the same thingin some of the location, to other innocent women.

You and him would protect a lot of people and prevented Needless heartache.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 years ago

Wow - that was a powerful tale. I have nothing to add - unbelievable as that seems. LOL 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

She went from willingly having sex with him to being drugged? Lost me on that.

iameaseliameaselabout 2 years ago

Well written though a LOT of liberties were taken with how people in Maine behaved back in those goo dole days.

I grew up there, and while divorces may not have been as common, the fact is that husband is all in your mind. You wrote a woman in a mans place, for that IS how the wives tended to behave. Cheated on men rarely would concern themselves with their wives being happy at a dance and raising another mans child? Once again, that is ALL in your head.

While I enjoy much of what you write some of it is nothing but fallacy put forth as gospel. And this is one. I think you could have made the story work even with a realistic husband in it instead of what you did.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanalmost 2 years ago

very good, interesting story of bygone times and way of life. we have same birth year

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written but absurd. The man should have been killed and Not just because of his sins. They turned a dangerous sexual preditor lose the continue wreck othe peoples lives in ther states and THAT is an immoral act. Those future predation sit on their heads.

Also,trust me here, in 1923 the fucker would have been killed without a moment's hesitation, shred of guilt or remorse.

Those marriages? There would have been no healing. If if the man stayed the woman would have been treated as little more than a house whore. Worse, EVERYONE in the community would emotionally crucified them for life.

You can't superimpose 21st century ethics on that peeiod of time.

How,do I know about thid? I'm 75 and grew up kbowing about issues like this

Sorry but this was a poor story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thanks for finishing a very good story,though somewhat inaccurate in the actions and reactions of that time period.You did come close. He would have been 120ft down.The baby you presented correctly,more than likely would not have survived. Infidelity resulted with far more severe results than today's standards with unmarked graves in woods and pastures. Any wives whom cheated and got caught,lived and stuck around just exsisted. If a husband walked in on a wife cheating and he shot the interloper,he would have got pats on the back and helped with the hidden grave. I also am from the time period. The previous anonymous is quite accurate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a historical cuckold fantasy that has no basis in the prevailing attitudes and behaviors of the purported time frame. A violent death for the lover and social ostricism for the adulterous wife would have been the norms for that era.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Different times. Generally back then predators when caught were put down in the ground and no one went looking for them or asked many questions, especially in the rural areas. Sylvia froze the first time and said nothing, usually out of shame, and her depression made her a target, and the predator used drugs to get her to succumb. It is why she thought it was her husband the first time and was shocked by Wendell in the morning when he forced her and raped her again. Her depression and shame meant she did not speak up. Until the last time he went too far with a drugged gangbang. Really surprised they didn't kill him. Had John known the truth he would have, but it was unrealistic to go that far and not put the predator down. Those days were different. Sad they never had kids and she died only a couple years (or even less) after they got their marriage back on track. Sarah was probably the daughter of the new couple that moved in and gotten taken also. What a monster.

TrambakTrambakabout 1 year ago

A very different period, different values, and different ethos.

Wonderful narration.

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Wow! Excellently written! In general I don't make comments on the story itself because it IS only a story. But I do make comments on the writer and this one is extremely good. The excellent use of detail and emotion really puts the reader in the story. Very good job!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Outstanding! But it was Hoover's recession, and Roosevelt's Great Depression. The New Deal was economic poison.55555555

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 1 year ago

If there’s a better story on this site, I haven’t found it

AngelRiderAngelRider10 months ago

Love the author, can't stand the story.

This is your typical male writing about female behaviors in the past. It will always appear masculine. It will never feel authentic because that's impossible.

At the end of the day this is just a whore wife story told in a setting in the past. It attempts to draw conclusions and make excuses due to historical limitations but fails to adequately address the fact the author has no ability to understand women from any time period because he isn't a woman.

I realize men don't like being told they are unqualified to do X but deal with it. Hollywood and publishing have been pretending they are writing accurate women for over 100 years and always failing.

hardworker5556hardworker55568 months ago

Loved the story! Please keep writing.

hardworker5556hardworker55567 months ago

Love your writing. Sensitive, entertaining, sufficient sex. Excellent character development and good plots. Please keep writing!

Simon_MastersSimon_Masters7 months ago

Fantastic piece of writing, solid 5*

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Oh Angelrider, you come across as a lesbian that imagines only a woman can truly know how to satisfy another woman, you forget in your arrogance that it would also suggest that only a man could truly know how to blow another man.

Escape from your prison of generalisations and accept that individuals are not all the same and just because you share one feature with another doesn't mean that you are in anyway capable of understanding or appreciating their thoughts or lives.

Any honest person would just accept that they can never know another person, and that the realities of the past makes that even less likely. We can all pretend to understand motivations etc., but we're always trapped by the realities of our own conditions, which creates a barrier far stronger than sex or gender.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

What I find most hilarious is the protestations from oldies etc saying that it wasn't how things happened back then.

I'd suggest that DNA evidence clearly shows that not to be the case. But then what do you expect from a generation brought up on cowboy films thinking that it was the truth.

knoxhardknoxhard6 months ago

Would have been five stars. Lost one for economic history illiteracy.

NoBullAlNoBullAl5 months ago

Good story with some interesting insights into a time past!

The only question has to do with the “old crow”. Having spent my entire life in a more northerly climate I have yet to see a crow (old or young) that was dumb enough to hang around when temperatures dropped to 20 below zero….. ravens, a much larger and stronger bird, yes but not crows!!

vicelordvicelord24 days ago

"He expunged the words from his fear struck throat."

----------

You really shouldn't use words you don't understand. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" as the paraphrase of Alexander Pope goes.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous