A King's Legacy Ch. 14

Story Info
Oust realizes what holds him back. Aster makes a change.
6.6k words
4.73
1.7k
1
0

Part 15 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 14: Change

Oust stumbled once during his trek back to the small building he was assigned to earlier that day, barely catching himself before he hit the ground. The tiger had drank a bit too much at the tavern, but had mostly avoided getting too out of sorts by steadily pacing himself. Drinking was something the tiger was familiar with, as he had been using it to cope with his family situation for years. The beast stumbled again, letting a small curse out from under his breath as he fell forward, barely catching himself as he did. The tiger reprimanded himself for such sloppiness a bit, and started to get back up. He paused halfway in a crouch when he spotted someone a short distance away.

Sir Corper, the bear from the tavern earlier, was doing what looked to the tiger like some kind of dance closer to the river. The bear swayed, shifting his powerful arms and twisting on his feet with surprisingly nimble accuracy, considering his size, as he continued his flowing movements. The beast ended a turning motion with an outstretched hand. The problem being, the tiger had barely registered his swift, final movement.

Oust grunted, and shook his head once, trying to steady his vision. Surely he had been seeing things. There was no way that bear was striking as fast as his sister Richta could... The tiger continued watching, finding himself now affixed on the beast before him.

Corper never strayed from his movement, despite his audience, and continued his meditation, finally managing to calm himself after his earlier relapse. The bear suddenly spun low in a circular sweep, swinging his legs wide while dragging his paws through the dirt, and crouching down a bit, ending his stance with an arm pointed towards the onlooking tiger as the dust settled around him. The bear spoke very flatly, letting little emotion through.

"I could smell the alcohol on your breath a mile away. Tell me, young one, does it make it any easier to hide from your demons?" Oust snarled in protest, spitting his answer back in a slurred voice.

"You know nothing."

The bear picked back up his dance, seeming to be unbothered by the cat as he only agreed with him.

"This is true. Yet, still better than believing you know everything, is it not, son of Reiner Candori?" Oust felt odd at being clocked so easily by someone he had never met, but found himself a bit intrigued... Perhaps this bear could help him with his goal.

"You know my father then as well?"

Corper was still swaying, taking a soundless step forward as he did, striking faster than the tiger could follow once more. Oust realized he hadn't imagined it earlier, he really couldn't follow this beast's swift movements at all. The bear spoke his insult as if it were casual conversation about the weather.

"I know nothing, yet, I am forced to remember every fool I've met who thought they knew everything, your father is counted among them. Will I remember you as a fool also, oh spoiled pelt?"

Oust rose to his feet, realizing the insult to his name immediately. The jab about the "Spoiled," orange tint to the white fur on his upper half certainly didn't help calm him either. In his slightly inebriated state, the tiger charged without warning. The bear smiled, still swaying in his steady movement. The bait had been taken.

Oust was still very much in control of both his actions, and his body as the rage sharpened his focus, clearing his mind to the task at hand; making certain the bear would regret provoking him. The entire reason he had joined the guard was to force his father to acknowledge him, so he wouldn't tolerate anyone speaking ill of his family before he had made them proud of him at last... Certainly not some washed up, human rutting, old bear... It was bad enough he had been humiliated by his loss to the boy during The Selection. Oust closed the distance with his blinding speed, slashing his sharp claws directly at the bear's smug face with everything he had.

Sir Corper simply latched on to the tiger's wrist mid turn, and spun with his trajectory, using the tiger's own built up speed to easily toss the beast aside, as if the maneuver was no more than a passing twirl between dance partners.

Oust latched onto the dirt, sliding back a good bit from being tossed with such force, his claws shredded the earth beneath him as he sank them down to catch himself. His eyes narrowed, and his nostrils flared at the humiliation he had endured. The beast snarled while Sir Corper kept on talking in that casual tone, never slowing in his movements.

"So much anger... So young..." Oust sharply retorted, bearing his fangs well.

"And you can talk? The least you could've done was actually kill that runt back there after that sob story you went on about!"

Sir Corper came to another halt, but his expression this time was a serious one, and he only held his finishing pose, eyeing the tiger studiously as he began debating with the beast.

"What I did earlier was relapse into my anger, the first time in seven years, young one. How long can you avoid falling victim to your own temper? Seven minutes? It's no wonder you could never hope to strike me."

Oust snarled at the further insult, charging once more. This time, he tried to fake the bear out, leaping right, but ducking down to jab left at the last moment. Oust ducked his face right into the bear's prepared blow, knocking him off balance with a blindingly swift punch by Sir Corper. The tiger stumbled back. The bear did not move as he continued.

"You're still only striking with your own turmoil... You lack restraint."

Oust used a dirty tactic, and threw a fistful of sand towards the bear, attempting to blind him while he rushed to take advantage of the opening. Corper simply closed his eyes, and exhaled while the tiger shouted once more.

"A true warrior needs no restraint! That is for the weak!"

The bear had had enough, a drunken, ignorant, loudmouthed cub resulting to such pathetic tactics wasn't worth entertaining anymore. He reached out his paw blindly, expertly catching the tiger by his thick throat, raising him up as he applied a decent amount of force to the undisciplined cat's larynx, securing him in place. The bear spoke a bit louder this time, opening his eyes to make certain the young one understood exactly how wrong he was.

"Tell me, son of Reiner, do you know why I was given the name Corper the Collapser?" The bear paused to listen to the tiger sputter for the breath he was denying him before he continued. "No? Then allow me to tell you. It's because if I don't hold back on my strikes, I will collapse my target's ribs, their teeth, their chests, their skulls, their scrawny little necks..."

Corper tightened his grip a bit, emphasizing the point he was making. Oust was finally realizing how badly he had messed up as he flailed vainly to escape this beast. Sir Corper continued as if he wasn't easily dangling the tiger like a child by his straining throat

"Basically... If I land a hit, and I don't show restraint, I break whatever my fist lands against. I break things. I make them collapse. It was my wife, a human, that taught me the value of true restraint, and she trusted me to show that restraint in ways I didn't trust myself... Tell me, young one... Do you still believe that I, as a warrior, should have no restraint? I'd very much like to know if your opinion has changed after our debate."

Corper squeezed his grip firmly in his pause, eyeing the struggling tiger with a glimpse of the terror such true, unrestrained anger could bring. Oust could not speak if he wanted to, as his eyes bulged under the pressure and he felt something in his neck pop. Sir Corper had a bit more to say to the foolish cub, although, in a much darker tone.

"I see... You must be too drunk to respond, young one. I'll help you sober up then, and we can continue this conversation tomorrow if you wish. Consider coming at me with a bit more respect then, young one, now that you know what the other side of no restraints looks like. How it feels to be on the weaker side of it. You can start by showing a little restraint in your drinking, cub, as well as that temper. Only then will I hear your debate."

Corper turned then, just as Oust was starting to black out, and leaned back a bit before tossing the tiger easily into the river, sobering him up, just as he had promised. Oust came up sputtering for breath, and looked to see the bear was already making his departure. He took a few, choking, heavy gulps of air in, and charged in his fury at such humiliation once more. The tiger was almost to the bear when Sir Corper spoke in a quiet whisper.

"Fine then, I'll help you sleep on the lesson, young fool."

Something jabbed at Oust's throat sharply, and the tiger fell forward in his charge immediately, barely catching himself on all fours, completely breathless. His eyes watered heavily from the force of the strike. Before the tiger could even begin to understand what had happened, another measured strike to the back of his skull brought immediate darkness upon him, and Oust's first, and last, drunken night in the orc village came to an end filled with a view of dancing stars.

Prince Tyfin was having difficulty getting any real rest, he didn't show it around his knights, but he was extremely uncertain about everything that had been laid on his shoulders. However, as the only beast he was boarding with was the estranged Alice, who had been still sleeping the entire time they had been at the village so far, the young lion was finally able to let his concerns out, speaking to the dreaming beast as the only audience for his confession.

"I'm terrified, Alice..." The prince took a heavy breath in, pausing in the silence to be sure the cat didn't stir. The prince continued his rant, knowing he could now safely vent it here.

"Tomorrow, I may find out if I'm going to have to be a king yet... A king an entire world away from his throne. How am I to lead my people, when I can't even speak with them? When I can't reassure them... How will I be remembered, as a king that wasn't there for his kingdom's darkest hour? What if there is no kingdom left... I know that's not too likely, but we just don't know..." Prince Tyfin shuddered as his dark confession spewed forth uncontrollably from him, laying his weary head into his hands.

"And that demon... What madness IS that monster? You destroyed it, we all watched... There was no way you missed it's heart, no matter where it may have hidden it... General Rixator gave his life to sink his axe in its chest, and it was like it didn't even feel it! What are we hoping to do against something like that? How can we even hope to fight it? After what it did to you... I just... I don't know if we can. It even crumbled Aster's shield last time... Could it do that all along? I thought we had a way to fight it back at least, but we don't! I CAN'T DO SHIT ABOUT IT... THAT MONSTER PROBABLY KILLED MY FATHER, AND I CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT..." The lion quieted down after he felt his voice crack up. The prince let his tone drop to a near sob.

"I can't do anything by myself... Sure, I know the basics of combat training, but I'm barely average with any blade, unlike my mother, who was one of the most skilled warriors our kingdom had ever seen... I'm too afraid to use my father's bloodskill. Too afraid I'll end up like him... I can understand almost nothing of the language of the gods, so any real magic, too, is out of my reach... All I can do is just use my mother's bloodskill... All I can do is lend a little strength to the ones that have to fight for me... I am not fit to be king, Alice... Alora deserves a stronger king..."

The prince curled up a bit tighter on his bed, pulling into himself, wishing they were here with him... They would know how to make this better... They would tell him what he needed to do... But he wasn't even sure if they were alive, or if they had fallen in the battle at the arena. Prince Tyfin was deeply missing the one his heart belonged to, when suddenly, the young lion heard a long, heartfelt howl in the distance. Despite how heavy he was feeling, it actually brought a smirk to the beast as he scoffed to himself.

"Well... At least those two are finally happy... Good for them." The young lion leaned his head back then, attempting to finally rest now that his heart felt just a bit lighter by the wolf's declaration of his love for the human. Maybe they could all get through this after all, united together, all the species that shared this world... Those two really did give the prince hope that it could really be possible someday. The young king clung to that hope to keep his own heavy heart afloat, forced to rely on the strength of his knight's yet again.

Captain Rixator shoved another two loaves of bread into the small satchel he had borrowed from the orcs. The bull had a tendency to eat more when he was alone, so he made sure to pack a little extra along with a few gourds of water he had tied to the sack. The bull easily shouldered the load, and stepped outside of his abode. The bovine huffed once through his nose, his breath steaming up into the chilly night air. The beast gruffly chimed to himself, keeping his voice low for a change since his soldiers weren't around.

"Good. I should make steady progress in the night... Beats that hot ass sun."

The bull turned his head high, looking to the stars for guidance. He recognized a few constellations, and used them to gauge his direction, applying their position to that of the sun earlier so he could map his way back. Another quiet voice answered from the shadows, but the beast recognized the speaker immediately.

"Honestly, Captain, you really do have to learn some patience eventually... I know the prince asked to do some scouting, but I don't think he meant for you to skip out on sleep to do it."

Mollis stepped forward, coming in to focus under the light of the moon as he finished his chastising. The captain only smiled at his longtime friend before answering in his quiet voice. Mollis knew the real Rix, so there was no need to keep up the loud façade when they were alone.

"Yeah, I know, but I would rather rest during the worst of the heat, and report back tomorrow under the shade of the night. My fur may not be as thick as yours, but it doesn't mean I can't overheat out here." Mollis said nothing, and only paced over to the bull, gently laying a hand on his thick arm while he softly spoke up to the towering hunk of muscle.

"Just make sure you make it back to me alive, Carcer."

Mollis knew the bull wanted a wife and a family someday, but he had fallen for the bovine regardless, something the hare had long since confessed to the thickheaded bull. The captain didn't mind though, and obliged his friend whenever he wanted, even letting the hare service him from time to time. Mollis understood Rix in a way not many could, and the bull would do anything for such a close friend, even allow the rabbit to call him by his first name, as long as they were in private that is.

"Ha!" The bull snorted, "You know you can't get rid of me that easily, Mollis. As if I would ever dare to not return to my prince before my mission ends."

The hare chuckled, nodding up at his captain.

"I know. I just have a bad feeling is all... I've had a bad feeling for a few days now... Ever since..." The rabbit trailed off, and he averted his gaze solemnly before turning back to the bovine. "Captain, there's something I need to tell you about Aster... Something he still doesn't know... Something I expect only his brother Cortist really knows about..." The bull silenced the hare with a firm hand on his shoulders, smiling down at the rabbit.

"I know, you like him right? You know I just want you to be happy Mollis... After everything you've endured... But I think Aschefell may have beat you to the goal." The bovine tried to smile at his friend, but the hare only took a step back, shaking his head.

"No, well... Yes, but that's not what I mean... There's something else... something that makes me wor-"

As if right on queue, a loud, lustful howl sounded into the night air around the pair, distracting the rabbit, making him turn to face the source. Mollis rapidly tapped his paw on the ground three times in quick succession, and furrowed his brow in a sigh at the realization.

"Well shit... He beat me to it... Good for them though, but that wolf has another thing coming if he thinks I'm giving up that easily."

The bovine chuckled behind the mage, speaking the warning more to himself than the hare.

"You'd best watch yourself, Aschefell. Mollis always gets what he wants one way or another..."

The hare spun quickly, gleaming at the bull with a sense of pride.

"I sure do!" The captain snorted again before he answered.

"That was NOT a compliment... What did you need to tell me about the panther's son? Something bothering you? Do I need to punish one of my soldiers?"

The mage glanced back over his shoulder where he had just heard the wolf and the boy finally lay claim to one other. He couldn't find it in himself to speak it anymore. Not yet.

"It's nothing like that... We will talk when you get back, Captain. Just come back to me first, so I don't have to tear through this desert to come find you... No other orders until then."

The bull huffed, and stomped a hoof, giving the hare a mock salute as he gruffly answered

"Yes Sir!"

"I just don't think it's a good idea, Mist." The husky Dally was arguing loudly with the peacock when Rust had happened by on his way to his own private quarters for the night. The fox hadn't meant to eavesdrop on the pair, but he was drawn in by the avian's answer in her sultry, thick accent that Rust couldn't begin to place.

"I had a Revelation... You know it's not good for me to ignore those for long. I need to read him, for all of our sakes. This is big, Dally. This is a terrifyingly dark level of bad. This isn't anything like I've felt before... I think Chief Crag is right... About the legendary beasts... But there's something else... Maybe more than even one thing lurks in the shadows... Dally... I'm scared, but that's why I NEED to know. I need to read him. Don't fight me on this one."

The husky was getting flustered, and took a few paces over to lean against and stare out the window. Rust didn't dare breathe, as he was crouched right on the other side of it then, only inches away. Dally began to speak, finally voicing his concern.

"If it's as big as you say it is... Divining that future could break you... The last time you did a king, you were out for six entire days Mist... And it didn't change a thing in the end... I just thought I was going to lose you. We started traveling to avoid this type of thing, not to run towards it... And we have Milky with us now, and they might not understand if you just go cold on us for a week or longer... We never know the cost until the deed is done... Besides, we have a moon tomorrow, I'm already going to be stressed to my limits, and you reading another king's future may be the end to my sanity all together... I can't lose you."

The husky trailed off with a heavy sigh. Rust was shocked at this news. The peacock wanted to divine Prince Tyfin's future? The fox heard Mist shuffle near the window as well, assuming she was comforting the canine. The avian spoke calmly, but decidedly.

"We can't run from fate, my love, but we may glimpse it through examining ourselves, and others. We may hope to change it in the slightest of ways, ones that can spur the most drastic of differences. I will collect what I need... I'll put the ceremony off until after the moon for you. Just... Trust me. I need to do this."

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12