A King's Legacy Ch. 16

Story Info
The fate of fathers are revealed. Cortist makes a choice.
6.4k words
4.72
1.9k
2

Part 17 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 16: A Father's Price

Cortist Venatus was still in a state of shock after watching his brother, Aster, be consumed by the blast from the demon, and could only stare blankly ahead with his mouth agape as he fell to his knees in the arena. The loss stunned him so badly, that the young panther hadn't even had a chance to process what was now rising to its feet where the human had just been. The mage never even registered the great beast before him, even as it readied to strike after being awoken from its slumber, but his father certainly had.

"CORTIST! MOVE!"

Jagón was shouting madly, still trying to fully accept that he had just lost another son, but desperate not to lose Cortist too. The younger panther did not move. Were it not for his brother, Talan, knocking him out of the way just a moment before impact, the mage would've been burned alive by the fiery breath that spewed forth from the great phoenix's mouth. Luckily for the Venatus line, Talan had acted just in the nick of time to spare his younger brother, jolting some sense into the numb mage at last, making him finally aware of both his situation, and of the growing hatred he held for the demon responsible.

Cortist looked to the stands, where the demon had stood to launch the attack, and found the ghoulish creature was already long gone. The young mage looked back to the great phoenix before him, and trembled as he finally accepted what maddening sight was right in front of him.

The legendary beast was huge, measuring at least 30 meters from the tip of its jagged, black beak to the ends of the regal, red plumage of its tail feathers. The feathers on the creature were long, and almost wispy in appearance as they merged into flames of the most dazzling light. The coloring of such feathers varied, from the glowing, golden yellow, to the deepest, corroded red, all swirled together to make a frighteningly majestic opponent. The creature had a comb on its head that looked more like a crown to the young panther, with a heavy black tint over the rough skin there that matched that on its imposing talons.

The great phoenix suddenly spread its burning wings wide, sending waves of arid heat sweeping over the beastmen present as it screeched loudly into the air. The sound reverberated around the walls of the Selection Grounds, causing the sharp echo to bounce around piercingly. Cortist could only stare in awe at such dangerous beauty.

"My king, you need to leave, NOW!"

Amboss Aschefell was shouting at King Alocer in frantic panic, realizing they stood no chance against such a monster, not to mention the demon undoubtedly still lurking nearby. As soon as the demon had launched such a powerful blast and the great phoenix appeared, soldiers all around the huge arena began deserting their positions almost immediately. The wolf had promised his wife he would only use his hammer to forge after his brother had been lost in battle, but this was too important for him to keep that promise. There were only a handful of beasts still present on the king's platform by the time the wolf made his plea, none of which were any truly renowned warriors. The Selection itself brought quite a crowd of nobles, but the ceremony rarely did.

The wolf knew the entire capitol was in jeopardy before such a large and intimidating opponent, and he had barely managed to shove the king down in time to avoid a ray of that dark blast from earlier, unknowingly sending his own son, (Who the wolf had assumed was still safe with his father,) to join the prince's party with the evasive action. A twist of fate that may have saved the little fox's very life. Before the king could answer the wolf, the burning sword reappeared on the King's platform, slicing through the very fabric of reality as the demon emerged once more from a scar. The creature sliced through the closest guard to it with swift ease before the monster turned and spoke to the king.

"Your reign ends, tyrant. I was planning on cutting your cub's heart out in front of you, but it seems the boy had other plans. You should be grateful to be in his debt."

King Alocer was already swinging his hefty sword down on the demon. The creature made no move, allowing the king to reduce him to dust with the strike, only to reappear from another scar a moment later, laughing dauntingly as he picked off another nearby beast.

"Trouble finding my heart, beast king? I've hidden it someplace very safe. I assumed you would know more about being heartless considering..."

The king roared his response, incredibly disheveled after watching his only cub be stolen from him mere moments earlier by this same opponent.

"I WILL SHOW YOU THE TRUE DEPTHS OF MY HEARTLESSNESS, MONSTER!"

The king lunged forward again, slicing through the demon easily as it's body crumpled to dust once more. The demon simply reappeared again, flaunting the hopelessness of the situation to the lion as he laughed louder this time.

"You cannot beat me here... My heart is beyond your reach. Your kingdom will fall by your ignorance. Your incompetence has brought another great country to its knees, beast king."

The king glared in his rage, spewing his answer out with droplets of spit.

"We WILL best you. A demon cannot remove their own heart. It is somewhere on you, and I'll just keep tearing you apart until I find the damned thing!"

The king took three steps forward, and lunged at the demon, who simply sidestepped the attack easily. As the dark creature raised it's sword to counter, Amboss leapt forward, and slammed his hammer into its chest, caving in the monster's ribcage, and temporarily dispatching the demon once more. Amboss yelled to his king desperately.

"YOU NEED TO GO! WE CAN'T STOP THIS THING! MY KING, RETREAT!"

The demon reappeared just inches away from Amboss, swinging its burning blade down quickly, striking away the wolf's hammer, and cleaving off his right hand all in one swoop, claiming both as his spoil of war. Amboss hit his knees in pain, clutching vainly at his arm as his lifeblood spilled forth from the grave injury. The demon raised its blade once more, and brought it down towards the wolf's neck with a hefty swing. Amboss could only watch on in true disbelief as his end fell upon him. As time slowed in that short moment of realization, only a single thought crossed his mind.

'Rust... Rouge... I'm sorry."

Jagón barely managed to dodge another breath of fire from the overwhelming phoenix, rolling forward in his lunge as he hurried back to his feet. A good deal of the fire had been cast upon the stands, and many a spectating, wailing beast and the lifeless bodies of the fallen alike were already being consumed by the insatiable flames. The skilled knight continued his sprint, circling around the bird and drawing its attention away from his sons as he closed in range of the great opponent. The panther held his longsword out to the side, and slashed at the blackened leg of the beast with everything he had, barely cutting even an inch deep into the tough flesh.

The phoenix screeched loudly in pain, and flapped its giant, burning wings once more, kicking up heavy dust as more waves of that engulfing heat rocked forth, knocking the panther away with a harsh gust of wind. The phoenix crouched a bit, and kicked off, rising high into the air on those troublesome wings as its tail fluttered behind it like a trail of burning crimson ribbon. Cortist and Talan were already running to their father.

Talan yelled his question as he was nearly to the older panther.

"Father! Are you alright?"

Jagón quickly got to his feet, answering his oldest son as he pointed up to the phoenix that was now circling the arena. If the beast began reigning down fire from that height, the panther wasn't sure there would be anywhere safe to run. Many of the soldiers around him had been deserting, or simply retreating with their injuries, such as the dragon Straga for one, but there were still many citizens still in range that he was duty bound to protect from such an impossible threat.

"I am fine... We need to find a way to stop that thing before it incinerates us all... Cortist, do you think you can hit it hard enough to bring it back down? We stand no chance with it in the air... I... I don't even know if we stand a chance on the ground, but if we can get close enough again, Talan or I may be able to stop it with our bloodskill... If we can even sink a fang into the damned thing that is... It has one thick hide."

As the older panther trailed off, his younger son raised his arms high, and began harshly chanting a spell. After about four seconds, the tips of his fingers were adorned with flashing sparks of electricity as the mage focused the power within his palms. He yelled his final word in the language of the gods, and the largest thunderbolt Jagón had ever seen struck down from the sky, landing a direct hit on the great phoenix.

The beast only let out a piercing cry, but never faltered in its flight, turning back to the mage and diving at the panther family. The bird parted its great beak once more, and Cortist watched in horror as more of the destructive flames spewed forth from the beast, directly to where he, his father, and his brother stood. He barely managed to get a wall of ice up before the overwhelming force of the blazing blast shattered it into tiny crystals around him.

A clash of steel interrupted Amboss's final thought, and the wolf looked up to see none other than his own father struggling to parry the blow with his sword while resting his weight solely on his good leg. The younger wolf was never more elated to see the old knight than in that moment. The demon jumped back a few paces, and only stared at the older wolf in silence. King Alocer drove his sword through the demon's side quickly, giving them a few seconds to recover before its inevitable return. The battle seasoned wolf spoke quickly, making the most of their fleeting time.

"My king, my son, both of you need to go. Amboss, tie off that arm! I won't lose another cub today. No more of my children will be taken from me by these monsters... I... I can't feel Stahl anymore... I can't feel your brother, Amboss... Please, just take Rust and go... While you still can. This... This is just like back then... When Silbern... This thing is far too much as we are, so please my son... Run for your life, I beg you, I won't lose you the same way too."

The sword reappeared, marking the end of their reprieve. Just before the demon reemerged, Amboss quickly barked out a single question as terror rose within him once more, even as he finished securing a strip of his shirt over his own bleeding arm with his teeth to try and stifle the flow.

"Take Rust? Is, IS HE NOT WITH YOU?"

Byron turned wide eyed to his son, finally realizing than that the fox wasn't among the few beasts left on the platform. His mind raced to make sense of it all as he turned back towards the opponent at hand. His grandson had ran back up the slope... That's why the old wolf came back in the first place, that and the deserters leaving few to defend the king. Wherever Rust was, the veteran could only pray he was safe. Byron knew he was a mere shadow of the knight he once was. He could likely accomplish little that would hinder the demon in his state, but if it meant his son could get away, the father was certainly willing to lay down his life then and there.

The demon made no move, and only gazed towards the older knight. Byron yelled back to his son once more in his desperate plea.

"AMBOSS! GO! TAKE YOUR KING AND LEAVE! PLEASE! YOU NEED TREATMENT." It was the demon that responded in that blood chilling tone.

"At last. The beast that knew mercy. The hand of the son will suffice for the sins of the father... For your own hand in this. You may leave with your cub, wolf. My debt too, is now repaid. The king's is not."

The creature turned towards King Alocer again. Byron took to raise his blade, but was halted by his king's hand as the lion spoke in a truly pained tone, never breaking eye contact with the demon as he did so.

"Go, Byron... My cub is gone... My queen is gone... This monster is here for me... There's no need for your line to fall here today also... You were a great mentor, Sir Aschefell, one I should've consulted and heeded more than I did. Your wisdom will be needed for what comes after... But today..."

The mighty king paused, and started walking towards the edge of the platform, to where the voice amplifying rune was still in effect. The demon made no move, understanding that the lion was accepting his long overdue tribulation at last. In truth, King Alocer had accepted such damning consequences long ago, before his crusade against man ever began. This was nothing compared to what had already been taken from him.

Alocer ended his statement to the old wolf just before he stepped onto the magical circle to speak to the rest of the few soldiers still fighting on in his name. It was time once more, to prove he was a king.

"I do this part alone."

Seconds before his wall of ice shattered beneath the intense flames of the phoenix barreling down from above, Cortist felt someone grab him, and swiftly turn the mage away from the flames. As the young panther looked into his father's eyes, the older knight pulled his son close to him, shielding as much of the mage as possible with his own body when the fire reigned down around them.

Talan was more battle experienced than his brother, so he knew dodging was the only real option to dealing with such a force, and had dived just out of range of the worst of it milliseconds before the attack landed. He hadn't realized his brother would try to actually attempt to defend against it, as if he didn't just watch the human's so called "Legendary shield," fall before these very opponents. His father realized it though, and acted accordingly. Talan could only watch on helplessly by that point.

Jagón's screams were drowned out to most left in the stadium by the roar of the heavy flames, but Cortist heard the full extent of his father's agony as the scarlet red cape of the proud black panther knight combusted immediately under the heat behind the breath, and his armor quickly heated thereafter. The metal was searing against his entire backside as the black hair beneath curled and smoldered within the fiery prison, leaving only his bared flesh to sear against the steel next. The back end of everything from his shoulders, to his calves, to his spine, and even his head and neck took the brunt of the incendiary attack, mercilessly cooking half of the panther alive. He slouched forward unconsciously into his younger son's trembling arms.

Were it not for what little reprieve the ice wall had given, Jagón Venatus would have surely perished that day. His son was safe though, so it was unquestionably worth any such price in the father's eyes. Cortist was panicking again, and tears overtook him as his mind collapsed in on itself while his brother came running over. Cortist thought he just lost another part of his family. The front of the armor was searing lightly at the son's hands as well, but the mage didn't dare let go of his father in that moment.

"BROTHER! WE HAVE TO HURRY!"

Talan was desperately screaming at his younger brother, thinking only of getting his family out of there, and away from such monsters in that moment. The panther went to grab a hold of his father, and quickly retracted his hands from the sheer heat. That armor needed to come off, or it would finish baking the older knight, so the older brother steeled himself and started trying to remove the scorching steel. His brother was becoming a problem.

Cortist clung to their father, preventing Talan from doing what he needed to do in his state of shock. His brother always had been too soft for combat like this... Not that the older brother could blame him, even Talan found himself wanting to break in that moment. So much had happened so quickly. So much was already taken... But this was an active warzone, and it was time his brother woke the fuck up before they all met their ends. Talan took a deep breath, grimaced at the action, and punched Cortist square in his snout, finally freeing their father. Talan caught the older knight immediately, and rushed to strip the armor without hesitation, fighting through the searing pain.

Cortist snapped back to reality as he hit the dirt, grabbing at the jolting pain in his snout, but thankful to his brother all the same. Even as his nose bled, the mage began quickly chanting, and a short second later, cold water appeared above his father. It splashed down against the armor with a sizzle, sending tufts of steam up, but doing what was needed. Talan was soaked as well, but was happy to see his brother's sharp mind was finally back where it needed to be. As Talan dropped the breastplate from his fathers back, he almost broke once more at the very sight of the bubbled and blistered flesh of his father beneath.

"My soldiers. My knights..." Cortist realized it was the king himself who was suddenly speaking over the amplification runes. "I give you one final order... By the life oath you swore to me, heed my command, all who are present."

Cortist watched in surprise as all the sworn in knights and soldiers right handed wrist began to glow where their circular mark was. The king had invoked the life oath. Mages in training did not have to bear the mark yet, but all of the enlisted did, his father and older brother included. Cortist feared the worst. Cortist was afraid the king would order the beasts to face these enemies, to ensure the deserters so far would either die fighting, or die running. King Alocer surprised him as he continued his final decree.

"Retreat from this place. Gather yourselves, and unite under a new rule. Live to serve Alora another day, in a new chapter... And one day, let the new king take back our capitol. That is the true test for my successor now, to keep our country's very core alive. To lead the charge to reclaim her heart. For the first time in five generations, I invoke the Regicide's Endeavor as an heirless king. Let the strongest and most worthy choose who will lead them upon the summer solstice."

The king had given an unrefusable order for his soldiers to retreat. The king had saved his knights, and sealed his own fate. The king had unintentionally and unknowingly given his still living son quite a bit of competition on the road to reclaiming the crown.

Talan was going to attempt his father's plan while Cortist retreated. The phoenix may have been large, but it was still a living thing. And the "Hunter's Toll," bloodskill the panther shared with his father should still kill it if he managed to pierce it's flesh with his fang... But the great phoenix had resumed its circling far out of his reach, and the King's order to retreat had become unrefusable. Talan instead braced his father's mangled, half burned body as gently as possible, and rose, dragging the mortally wounded great knight towards the nearest exit as his brother followed, remaining alert for anymore incoming attacks. They only made it a few feet into the tunnel before an earth shaking impact rocked the king's platform, and the great pillars supporting it collapsed, dropping the heavy, marble ceiling on top of any who remained.

"My king... It was an honor... And thank you."

That was all Byron could even say at that point. The order was given. His own life oath mark was glowing, forcing the wolf to obey, or be killed. The knight could still save at least one son that day. Byron was duty bound to stay with his king until the end, but King Alocer proved that he wasn't always such a terrible ruler. He reminded the wolf of the young king he once was in that moment, compassionate, strong, and one who put his people's needs above his own... Before he let the cruelty of this world change him forever over twenty years ago. Before rage had swallowed both his dignity, and his reason. Before the effects of his own bloodskill had consumed his mind and rationality. The beast tyrant had made his last act a noble one in the end.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12